Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

She's Covering What?

Go down 
+11
rattpoison
manny
Temple of Blood
powermacho
Gilbert
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
SlaytanicPOWER
exact33
XYZ
tohostudios
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

She's Covering What? Empty
PostSubject: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Mary J. Blige covering Stairway to Heaven.

Don't laugh; check out the guest musicians on this and the performance.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopmediatraining/253526/mary-j-blige-says-u2-cover-inspired-led-zeppelin-remake/

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:55 pm

She's treading on thin ice. Covering Zeppelin is a very daring move.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Just as long as Sonata Artica doesnt do another Bette Middler song!

XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Just listened to it. The opening and acoustic parts weren't too bad, but once the drums came in, it lost me. The metal section was not that good at all.

Once again, someone fails at covering Zeppelin.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 pm

U2 would inspire me to kill myself, or have someone kill me out of mercy from listening to more U2
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 1:23 am

How can you not laugh? That version SUCKS! Good to see Steve Vai on there though.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 am

I like this cover but the best Zeppelin cover I've heard is Beth Hart doing Whole Lotta Love.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 10:24 am

I'll wait till I hear Cliffy's remastered version.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 10:33 am

She's Covering What? 201269

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 am

Not the worst i've heard. Cliffy will fix it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Bad version She's Covering What? 78889
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 4:55 pm

For the style of music she plays they do a great job. Also we have to give her some She's Covering What? 604261 for representing our music with a great song and keep it as close as she cans
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm just impressed with her voice; I had no idea she could sing like that.

XYZ

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 6:57 pm

powermacho wrote:
For the style of music she plays they do a great job. Also we have to give her some She's Covering What? 604261 for representing our music with a great song and keep it as close as she cans

Agreed. It wasn't that bad of an interpretation, but me being the big Zeppelin fan that I am, I'll still view it as a lackluster attempt at covering the greatest rock song ever.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:35 pm

How many Zep albums did she own before 2010?

It's a desperate attempt to cross over.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
How many Zep albums did she own before 2010?

It's a desperate attempt to cross over.

Crossover to who? Most of her audience could careless who Led Zeppelin where and hard rock/metal fans are not going to be purchasing a million of her albums simply because she covered Led Zeppelin.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:41 pm

There's just no winning with some people.

Here we have an artist who mainly trades in the hip-hop, R&B and soul genres who tries to do something different and people accuse her of selling out.

From my perspective, I admire the fact that Mary J. Blige even knows the damn song and is able to sing it with what I think is "passion"; not something I'd expect from an artist of her ilk.

Is it better than the original? Hell no! But I'm still impressed with her vocals on the song.

Did you same people smurfette when "metal" bands like Anthrax and Aerosmith crossed over into rap territory? Was that a "desperate attempt to cross over"?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:50 pm

I agree toho, IMO I think she likes the song and wanted to give it her own spin which is what you should do with a cover tune anyway, make it your own.

I personally thought it was very cool, and like toho stated that girl has got pipes.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:54 pm

manny wrote:

I personally thought it was very cool, and like toho stated that girl has got pipes.

Exactly. Which is exactly the last thing I expected from an artist in that genre.

It's like finding out that a death metal growler can actually sing (Hello Don Swano).

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:

From my perspective, I admire the fact that Mary J. Blige even knows the damn song and is able to sing it with what I think is "passion"; not something I'd expect from an artist of her ilk.

What do you mean her ilk, there's just as much passion and talent in contemporary R&B/Soul/Hip Hop now as any Rock/Metal being produced now!
Back to top Go down
bigjtink
Metal novice
Metal novice
bigjtink

Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:20 pm

I actually like this version. I think she has major balls for taking it on.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:27 pm

rattpoison wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

What do you mean her ilk, there's just as much passion and talent in contemporary R&B/Soul/Hip Hop now as any Rock/Metal being produced now!

Don't try to distort my point which is that I would not expect an artist who trades in the hip hop genre to even know "Stairway" much less be able to sing it with such passion.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 pm

bigjtink wrote:
I actually like this version. I think she has major balls for taking it on.

Agreed!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Here's my favorite LZ cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOkqXGymMA

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:39 pm

tohostudios wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Don't try to distort my point which is that I would not expect an artist who trades in the hip hop genre to even know "Stairway" much less be able to sing it with such passion.

She's more a contemporary R&B/Soul singer with Hip Hop savvy/attitude. Led Zeppelin's songs have been sampled for beats in Hip Hop for ages, alot of MC's and DJ's are very familiar with the Zep back catalogue. The drum loop on "When The Levee Breaks" is one of the most popular and overused samples in Hip Hop ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: She's Covering What?   She's Covering What? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

She's Covering What?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next