Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fates Warning classic line up

Go down 
+9
Dave the Boss
ultmetal
7thSaviour
Black Coffee
Leatherface
Orion Crystal Ice
stepcousin
Temple of Blood
manny
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:29 pm

I can see an APSOG reissue happening. That was a pretty popular album at the time I think and to me it is their last great one.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

It's a preference thing...some people prefer over the top shredding (ala Michael Angelo), some prefer more melodic, soulful playing (ala Richie Sambora)...it's the same vocally...some prefer crazy vocal acrobatics (Arch) or more melodic, "for the song" vocals (Alder)...I'm the latter.

noooooooooooooooooooo....!!! not the overcooked juxtaposition of speed/complexity-slow/soul ... thing! it burns us Precious.....

plus we can't start that discussion......a lot of us can't even agree what metal is. Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 201269
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I can see an APSOG reissue happening. That was a pretty popular album at the time I think and to me it is their last great one.

Yeah, for some reason even Jim Matheos isn't too keen on Inside Out, which is the same as a lot of the fans. But it seemed to turn back around for them w/ APSoG.

Personally, I think Inside Out has some of their best songs..."Monument", "Pale Fire" and "The Strand" specifically. Matheos said he did not like it because it was too similar to Parallels, which I also don't hear. Parallels was much more glossy and slick and less complex than Inside Out, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:53 pm

"Monument" is an amazing song but I think "Inside Out" is pretty bland overall.

I like some songs on "Parallels" a lot but I'm not a huge fan of the album.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:53 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I enjoy both singers but Alder brought a new dimension to the band imo. I'm excited for a DVD, never had a chance to see them live.
I saw them live back in September and I don't think they did all that well. 7/10 When I saw them a few years ago opening for Savatage, I thought they were MUCH better! 9/10
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:29 pm

DO want 'Pleasant Shade..' reissue. It'll take forever, though..
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:49 pm

I never have liked their ultra-proggy era, but I LOVED the Arch years and the early Alder era as they were transitioning their style.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:54 pm

manny wrote:
The classic 1991 line-up of progressive metal band Fates Warning is to reunite.
The quintet – Ray Alder (vocals), Jim Matheos (guitar), Frank Aresti (guitar), Joe DiBiase (bass), and Mark Zonder (drums) – are to play a couple of shows in Greece during March, with more to follow.
This coincides with the reissue of their 1991 album Parallels through Metal Blade on March 16.
This will include a bonus CD with live and demo material, a DVD with an entire show from 1992, plus a documentary on the making of the album.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I have all of the previous rereleases with bonuses and such and they are great. I have their Live In Athens DVD and it's phenomenal.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:54 am

7thSaviour wrote:
I never have liked their ultra-proggy era, but I LOVED the Arch years and the early Alder era as they were transitioning their style.

Same here. Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian are true pinnacles of heavy metal, and I really like the first three albums with Alder. Perfect Symmetry still sounds like a Fates Warning album, although it is definitely more modern.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Inside Out was my first intro to this band and I still love it to this day, one of my favorites. I later got Awaken The Guardian and it was so different that I traded it off soon after. I picked it up a few years ago and now I quite enjoy it but not to the extent of my first one. Around the time I got Inside Out I also picked up APSOG but it didn't interest me too much so I never saught out anything after that. Around the time I got ATG, I also got Parallels, which wile not as good as Inside Out I still enjoy it more than ATG. So I'm indifferent to this news. I still need to get Spectre Within.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 1:13 pm

I enjoy a lot of Inside out and Pale Fire is one of their top five songs imo.

What do you guys think about X? I like it, it's more about the song then the concept and maybe a little borrowed from Dream Theatre but I think it holds together well.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:04 pm

This is awesome - I would love to be able to see one of the shows!!!!!

And, for the record, I prefer Adler over Arch. My 2 fav Fates albums are PS and Parellels
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:24 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

What do you guys think about X?

Love it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning classic line up   Fates Warning classic line up - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fates Warning classic line up
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2