Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What were they thinking?

Go down 
+32
exact33
TheGame2k2
Dave the Boss
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Wargod
Vexer6
Required Fields
rattpoison
Getizzyback
mc666
Lurideath
mr.electric39
stevegarveyfan
Fat Freddy
Metallic Blaze
JBall_Z
jstate
manny
krokus
T-Roy
snooloui
7thSaviour
Shiney
Temple of Blood
nevermore
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
sovdat
ultmetal
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

What were they thinking? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 am

My thought on that promo pic was at first...uhhhh, wow. and then after that, always....what is going on with DeGarmo's shoulder things....some sort of 'Dune' reference, perhaps? Chris DeGarmo Atreides? What were they thinking? - Page 3 685534

Last edited by Orion Crystal Ice on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 am

ultmetal wrote:
So what are everyone's thoughts on the Scorpions album?

I think it's absolutely horrible. I'm actually offended that they would release such poop and put the Scorpions name on it. That being said, I tend to dislike Pure Instinct just as much. There is like 8 ballads on that album! The Scorps must have had a tough time in the 90's.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:52 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
My thought on that promo pic was at first...uhhhh, wow. and then after that, always....what is going on with DeGarmo's shoulder things....some sort of 'Dune' reference, perhaps? Chris DeGarmo Atreides? What were they thinking? - Page 3 685534

I actually thought they looked cool when I picked up that album as a new release. It was all about showmanship. Bands wore costumes on stage as part of their image and stage show. Sure, it was over the top and sometimes completely ridiculous. However, I actually miss that part of heavy metal. It was suppose to be outrageous and bigger than life. Most bands today don't care enough about their stage show or image but instead get on stage looking like they just got out of bed with baggy jeans, a sideways baseball cap and a t-shirt.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:54 am

SpectreFate wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I think it's absolutely horrible. I'm actually offended that they would release such poop and put the Scorpions name on it. That being said, I tend to dislike Pure Instinct just as much. There is like 8 ballads on that album! The Scorps must have had a tough time in the 90's.

Yes, Pure Instinct was odd too, but at least when you heard it, you knew it was the Scorpions, even if it was a wimpy Scorpions. It wasn't too far removed from songs like Winds of Change, Holiday, etc. It was still at least rock.

With Eye II Eye, I honestly thought, "What the heck is this?" Pop music? Dance beats? samples and drum loops? How is any of this even remotely The Scorpions. I didn't even think "sell out". I just thought, "how bizarre! What were they thinking?"

Last edited by ultmetal on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:57 am

ultmetal wrote:

Its sucks.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 am

Every band (with the exception of AC/DC) has that odd ball album that does not fit in with the rest of their discography, KISS-Music From the Elder, Alice Cooper-DA DA are just two examples that come to mind. I personally love those type of albums, and I do not mind when an artists stretches their wings.

As far as Scorpions-Eye II Eye, it is definitley a WTF where they thinking? I bought the album last year and I am still not sure what to make of it, very odd album.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:22 am

ultmetal wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I actually thought they looked cool when I picked up that album as a new release. It was all about showmanship. Bands wore costumes on stage as part of their image and stage show. Sure, it was over the top and sometimes completely ridiculous. However, I actually miss that part of heavy metal. It was suppose to be outrageous and bigger than life. Most bands today don't care enough about their stage show or image but instead get on stage looking like they just got out of bed with baggy jeans, a sideways baseball cap and a t-shirt.

Well, I agree. I wear my cape. What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Quote :
Tourniquet "Vanishing Lessons" - I STILL don't know what they were thinking.

I'll help. They were thinking, we have a new vocalist and let's make a damn good album.
I love to help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 pm

If I remember right, the Scorps brought in a lot of outside help and it showed. The album should have been thrown outside, in the garbage.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:00 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I love RFO, but really...in these promo pics...what were they thinking???

What were they thinking? - Page 3 Rage-ad1

What were they thinking? - Page 3 201269 "THIS FRIDAY...IT'S GOTH NIGHT AT THE BLUE OYSTER BAR! $1 OFF COVER WITH THIS FLYER!"

I love that album, but MAN I have always hated their "image" during this era. Tate has described it as "an unsuccessful attempt at developing our own look" or words to that effect.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:40 pm

I loved their image during this era. I'm an 80s guy though.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 5:49 pm

I agree with some mentioned like:

Dokken - Shadowlife
Motley Crue - Generation Swine
Van Halen - Van Halen 3

and I'll add:

Motley Crue - Motley Crue
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 5:51 pm

That Motley Crue S/T album is one of their best.

but I know many don't agree with me.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:47 pm

I didn't mind Queensryche's image on RFO. I think if you get rid of the shoulder tassels it isn't so bad for that era.

I also like Motley Crue's s/t. And Helloween's Chameleon. Sure the first listens were rough, but I kinda just started to accept them for what they were.

Somehow I've stayed clear of Eye II Eye. From the sounds of it that has been a good choice. I wouldn't mind the going commercial or stylistic change-ups but I can't stand stuff that is processed sounding.

Another one I like that seems to fall under the "what were they thinking" is Doro's Machine II Machine. I actually thought it was a good direction for her to go in.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:09 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Quote :
Tourniquet "Vanishing Lessons" - I STILL don't know what they were thinking.

I'll help. They were thinking, we have a new vocalist and let's make a damn good album.
I love to help.

Thanks! I always welcome help! Well, that's one issue down, and many more to go!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
That Motley Crue S/T album is one of their best.

but I know many don't agree with me.

I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm

jstate wrote:
I didn't mind Queensryche's image on RFO. I think if you get rid of the shoulder tassels it isn't so bad for that era.

I also like Motley Crue's s/t. And Helloween's Chameleon. Sure the first listens were rough, but I kinda just started to accept them for what they were.

Somehow I've stayed clear of Eye II Eye. From the sounds of it that has been a good choice. I wouldn't mind the going commercial or stylistic change-ups but I can't stand stuff that is processed sounding.

Another one I like that seems to fall under the "what were they thinking" is Doro's Machine II Machine. I actually thought it was a good direction for her to go in.

I posted three songs from Eye II Eye a page back. Those samples pretty much sum up the sound of that Cd.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:08 pm

ultmetal wrote:

'Mysterious' - pretty ga-hey for the most part. But what's this? Decent and unexpected solo work. What was this band trying to do? This cannot be commercial, because soul pop R&B junk is only allowed one solo per every 100 songs and it can't be as long, and plus, this song itself is 5 minutes and the fans only have the attention span for 3. I do think the guitars blend in well. Chop this up, get rid of the horrible seductive or whatever crap everywhere............. I've heard plenty of well done electronic stuff meshed with searing guitar, check out Labyrinth's debut. But this ain't it....

'Eye II Eye' - Not terrible. Sounds like some kind of remix of a normal hard rock/metal Scorpions song. I'm feeling the intro, the first minute when you think the guitars are about to come in..and then..huh? ok... yeah..pretty generic verse and chorus melodies, but it sounds like Scorpions to me..just 'Scorpions: The Remix'..eh.

'To Be #1' - 'I just wanna.........come'. That line sort of says it all. Wow. So what is going on here? This isn't even good for what it is. Whatever that is supposed to be. WTF? LOL as I'm playing this. I do see how this might have some commercial appear, however, as this is amazingly un-melodic, the way a lot of radio rock tends to be. What's going on..why are these instruments here..they could have just turned the TV on to snow and recorded it. Oh, talk box..........................weird. Harmonica app for your talk box? Ok. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh............

Yeah, this isn't as..amazingly and instantly mortifying and offensive as say..Lily Allen or Ludacris........but..whoa. Why would anybody really want to listen to this album? Is there really something to relate to here? I dunno.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Yeah, this isn't as..amazingly and instantly mortifying and offensive as say..Lily Allen

What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:34 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Yeah, this isn't as..amazingly and instantly mortifying and offensive as say..Lily Allen

What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes

ohhhh fine, Katy Perry then, go cry emo kid. What were they thinking? - Page 3 84826 What were they thinking? - Page 3 Lol
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 pm

As for the Scorpions' Eye II Eye...I've heard only one song on the album, and I intend on keeping it that way. Wretched.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 am

I agree that this album is very bizarre, but I will admit to enjoying it on some level despite the fact that it's about as far removed from the Scorps traditional sound as it gets. My fave tracks are Mysterious, Yellow Butterfly, Aliyah, Moment In A Million Years, Obsession and Mind Like A Tree, the rest range from average(10 Light Years Away, What U Give) to laughably bad(Freshly Squeezed, To Be No.1, i'm pretty sure the band members were all drunk when they came up with those songs!) and just plain bad(Priscilla, Skywriter)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 am

Vexer6 wrote:
I agree that this album is very bizarre, but I will admit to enjoying it on some level despite the fact that it's about as far removed from the Scorps traditional sound as it gets. My fave tracks are Mysterious, Yellow Butterfly, Aliyah, Moment In A Million Years, Obsession and Mind Like A Tree, the rest range from average(10 Light Years Away, What U Give) to laughably bad(Freshly Squeezed, To Be No.1, i'm pretty sure the band members were all drunk when they came up with those songs!) and just plain bad(Priscilla, Skywriter)
thanks for this post. very well put & i couldn't agree more. although i rate 10 Light Years Away as one of the better tracks.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 am

ultmetal wrote:

I have quite a few holes to fill in my Scorpions collection - and this is one album I've never heard.

So I went back and listened to the songs you posted.

Wow. This is indeed very unusual for them.

However, I like a lot of variety - including some pop stuff (which this seems to really be. quite pop-oriented). I gotta admit that I like this to a degree. I'd still probably say it's their weakest. But I could see why some people would like it. I could also see why others would not.

I like it though.

What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 am

Nothing wrong with liking it. It's just a shocking change in direction in my opinion. Who would ever expect drum loops, dance beats and pure pop from the Scorpions?

Anyone heard the third album from the former thrash band Betrayal? That was another band that took a complete 180 degree turn style-wise. They went from a thrash band to some sort of techno-industrial sound. I was highly disappointed in that. I really wonder what bands think when they do this. Do they really expect the majority of their fans to accept it? If Ultimatum turned around and released a hip-hop record, we would be a laughing stock.

That reminds me of another album:
BRIDE - Fistful of Bees (rapcore? What were they thinking?)

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What were they thinking?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next