Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...

Go down 
+7
metalinmyveins
Gilbert
sheets
MetalGuy71
exact33
Alex Dee Rokket
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Empty
PostSubject: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 7:38 am

With such an important band retiring from the spotlight, what do you think the likelihood of other classic 80s retiring in the coming years?

80s metal acts are now entering their 3rd decade of existence and for many their golden days are far behind them. Those that resurfaced in the last 10 years did so on the back of reunion tours and a resurgence in the popularity of metal from the late 90s onwards. I think with Priest retiring, a band that has seemingly been there since the dawn of time and influenced several generations of metal bands, I'm sure many smaller bands whose impact has been considerably narrower are wondering whether after 3 decades on the road and recording albums their time to retire has come too.

What concerns me is where does this leave metal?

Will metal undergo another crisis as it did back in the early 90s but this time because mother nature has finally caught up to our favorite bands? Are today's modern metal bands entirely reliant on the popularity and existence of older / classic metal acts or can they stand on their own and make their mark as say Priest or Maiden did.

If back in the early 90s there was a glimmer of hope that metal would come back, and it did, there is nothing to combat old age, nothing that can make these bands be in their 20s or 30s again or even a minute younger. This year the foundations of metal have been shaken pretty badly, Dio's passing for one and now Judas Priest exiting the stage.

Although metal made a comeback what is different about the wave of metal bands since the mid-late 90s is that none of them have solidified themselves in the same way as say Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth etc. None have had the same wide spanning popularity and influence as the aforementioned bands. The popularity of today's metal bands is mostly confined to the particular style that band plays and the fans it attracts rather than across a wide spectrum of genres. The aforementioned bands all managed to pool in large crowd and fans of different styles and bands altogether - the same cannot be said about today's popular metal bands.

The splintering of metal into all sorts of different sub-genres has left us without all encompassing and influential metal bands, that type we had back in the 70s and 80s. I think that by the turn of this decade we will be robbed of nearly all of the bands from the 1970s and 1980s - with a few probably staying around after 2020. This may however prompt the rise of more influential bands and give musicians a motivation to keep the legacy of metal alive.

While metal is far from dead, it is certainly losing its leaders.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 8:16 am

I think we are in for a slew of bands retiring in the next 5 years. I think you are going to see a bigger shift towards the glam/sleaze bands - its already happening and as more established bands leave the glam revolution will come front and center.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 9:43 am

I don't see it happening. There is no retirement plan for rock n' roll. You do it until you can't no more.

Established bands may sit back and give up the touring aspect, but the band or individual members will continue to make music in some fashion. Younger bands will continue to tour to make money so they can sit back in their later years and just record for the sake of it like their elders.

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:00 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
The splintering of metal into all sorts of different sub-genres has left us without all encompassing and influential metal bands, that type we had back in the 70s and 80s. I think that by the turn of this decade we will be robbed of nearly all of the bands from the 1970s and 1980s - with a few probably staying around after 2020. This may however prompt the rise of more influential bands and give musicians a motivation to keep the legacy of metal alive.

I sometimes feel that metal will probably end up like jazz music in that there will always be a certain appeal to a certain number of people, but it will likely never again be a major mainstream force. I don't think metal will have any trouble sticking around, though, or even thriving to some degree as it's already had to contend for awhile with being an underground type of music.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:18 am

Metal will go on. New good bands will come around.

I still don't understand though why priest want to retire completely. They can still make a couple of decent records.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Sure some of the older established bands will retire sooner or later. It's just natural. But as already stated,there are a slew of bands that are appearing all the time and they will end up taking over the market. Metal will never truly die.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:27 pm

007 wrote:
Sure some of the older established bands will retire sooner or later. It's just natural. But as already stated,there are a slew of bands that are appearing all the time and they will end up taking over the market. Metal will never truly die.

I think we know it will never die, but will it have the prominence that it once had during the decade of the 80's? Obviously, Heavy Metal is much bigger in other parts of the world than it is in the United States. It sucks to say that, but that is a fact, due to the amount of festivals we see all over the world that we simply don't have here. I can't tell you how many times I've read accounts of disappointed fans (living in the U.S) who are upset by bands that simply aren't playing near them. Ex: I lived in Indianapolis for a good part of my life, which was as much of a hot bed for metal as any other city throughout the Midwest during the 80's. Unless you're part of the "A list" metal bands these days, then one will have to travel to Louisville, KY, Cincinnati, OH, Chicago, IL, and funny enough Fort Wayne, IN to go catch the likes of an OverKill, Exodus, Death Angel, Testament, Accept (if they're not part of a major bill).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:45 pm

A couple years back I would've agreed more but I see new bands stepping in now with the rise of the NWOTM so I think metal will be fine.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:53 pm

Judging by most of the responses in the other thread, most of us will still be listening to metal well into our golden years. Why would that be any different for someone that plays metal? If that's what they enjoy doing, why would they stop?

Heavy metal isn't going anywhere. It's been here since the 70's (or 80's, depending on who you ask) and it will be here well into the future. It's popularity will rise and fall, but it will never completely go away.

Really, has any genre of music really "gone away"? Jazz, blues, rock, opera, hell, even marching band music still is being learned and played by someone, somewhere.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Storm_Rider89

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 5:18 am

I dont know why it is the newer bands arent ever gonna be legendary status like the older ones mentioned. Maybe its because most of them are just crap lol. I guess, bands like Priest, Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth etc were really ground breaking and doing something totally different at the time. There are a lot of bands that all sound the same imo. There are plenty off great bands today no doubt. Like Opeth for instance, im not even a fan of them, but i defintely see them being held in legendary status 20 years downj the track for sure.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 8:38 am

I think give it time and some of the new bands will be legendary, especially when old people like us are not around...

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 8:55 am

Well I think over the last 15 years or so we have been blessed with a number of metal bands that have become staples in the metal pantheon, to name a few: Nevermore, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Opeth, Nightwish, Amorphis, Soilwork, Arch Enemy etc.

When you look at that list though, most of those bands are my personal favorites - so what I may consider a modern or contemporary classic may not be the same for the next person.

That's what I think is different nowadays - we have so many bands to choose from. If had been in the 1980s or even early 1990s, I believe our lists of favorite bands and albums would have closely matched. I believe that we would all have at least a handful of staples like Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Sabbath etc featuring somewhere in our lists with slight variations.

Nowadays, especially whenever a year ends and someone asks for our favorite albums this year, we all end up with really eclectic lists. That's what I meant by the fact that we don't really have any real identifiable leaders in metal at the moment and that we're still relying on bands from 30 years ago as the main men behind the heavy metal sound and movement. While we do have a handful of newer and more popular bands, I can't help but feel that those bands still only appeal to isolated segments of metal fans rather than across all of metal fandom like Maiden, Sabbath or Priest do.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 9:14 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Nowadays, especially whenever a year ends and someone asks for our favorite albums this year, we all end up with really eclectic lists. That's what I meant by the fact that we don't really have any real identifiable leaders in metal at the moment and that we're still relying on bands from 30 years ago as the main men behind the heavy metal sound and movement. While we do have a handful of newer and more popular bands, I can't help but feel that those bands still only appeal to isolated segments of metal fans rather than across all of metal fandom like Maiden, Sabbath or Priest do.

I think it is a strong point though - the more choices, the more people will listen. I think people identify with a band and follow it for a long time. I am not worry though - there will always be a segment of the scene that plays heavy metal.

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 11:48 am

The thing that worries me is the reality of the music business these days killing off either established acts or talent that might never get a chance. I think of the Metal Church situation where they can't just go on any longer despite still putting out killer material. At least Priest is able to retire on their own terms (and hopefully just come back down the line). My fear is a lot of the acts will be forced into "retirement".
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I think you've definitely hit upon something here. When I was young (in my teens), it was to be expected that my check from work would be spent on anything and everything metal. My acumen regarding money/savings/looking to the future was overshadowed by my consumption of music, and even if I was blessed with the aforementioned, I would have probably still followed the same path. Why? Because I was a teenager, and we go against the grain... I'm an adult now, and even if I wanted to adhere to that same philosophy, well I can't. I wasn't blessed with the money making skills of a doctor, mechanical engineer, banker, or a crooked politician. AND, since I've yet to hit the lottery, then I have to play by life's rules, as I seek the real money in teaching (* sarcasm alert).

That brings me to the issue at hand, I just can't go out and buy C.D's on a whim like I used to. Hence, I've counted on the "Old Faithful" of metal bands I.E: Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath (and all of its incarnations), Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Slayer, etc... Frankly, I get weak in the knees when I buy anything post year 2000 metal. I think metal has spawned off in so many directions, that I'm apprehensive to try anything knew. Granted, this place has been a blessing in disguise, but it still doesn't make me any less reticent in my power as a purchaser of metal music (C.D's/nothing downloaded).

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 1:40 pm

I personaly believe that nobody will be touring anymore in twenty years. You iknow loading up the semi's and the road crew and hitting the road. Too expensive and technology will make it obsolete. Speculation of course, follow me. Band sets up someplace and does a show. It is filmed with computerized imaging devices from every conceivable angle. Barney or Betty kick it in front of the screenless 3/d image in their humble abode and watch.
With either implant or blue tooth type device, they think "what is the drummer doing" and a section of image or full screen (depending on # of viewers at that local) appears showing the drummer. "How fast is are the feet moving" then it changes. Betty wants to look at singers butt in tight jeans, so it appears. This could either be interactive in real time aplication or downloaded for digital use.

Man, I really love coffee sometimes.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Kittie Hawk

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 1:51 pm

I would say, Halford is retiring from Touring, the fulltime commitment it takes to give one. I can see him still involved in the Metal Music scene. Doing appearances once in a while. Perhaps sing on a few solo works, release new JP tracks. Then come back for a Reunion tour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...   So Priest's farewell also got me thinking... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So Priest's farewell also got me thinking...
Page 1 of 1