Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What were they thinking?

Go down 
+32
exact33
TheGame2k2
Dave the Boss
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Wargod
Vexer6
Required Fields
rattpoison
Getizzyback
mc666
Lurideath
mr.electric39
stevegarveyfan
Fat Freddy
Metallic Blaze
JBall_Z
jstate
manny
krokus
T-Roy
snooloui
7thSaviour
Shiney
Temple of Blood
nevermore
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
sovdat
ultmetal
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

What were they thinking? Empty
PostSubject: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Ever listen to a CD by one of your favorite bands and wonder, "what the heck were they thinking?"

Sitting here giving Scorpions Eye II Eye a spin and that very thought went through my head. What the heck...?

What other albums by bands you generally love are like this?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:33 pm

Metallica Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:40 pm

sovdat wrote:
Metallica Very Happy

St. Anger? I figured someone would mention that one immediately.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Megadeth's Risk. They certainly nailed it with that title. Pew-stinky! What were they thinking? 288219

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:43 pm

(Grave) Digger - Stronger Than Ever
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Queensryche - Hear in the now frontier
King's X - Manic Moonlight
Holy Soldier - Promised Land
Def Leppard - Slang
KISS - Peter Criss
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Gemini 5 - Black Anthem

After a great glam/sleaze debut with Babylon Rockets (including a cover of You Spin Me Round), for some reason they decided to take an industrial turn. It's not really that bad but it sure wasn't what I was expected. Thankfully they went back to sleazy goodness with this year's Drugs Sex Anarchy.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:01 pm

That new Helloween best of.

Anything from Queensrÿche past HITNF, and some of that too.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Even though there are songs I like on this KISS' Music From The Elder comes to mind.

Last edited by nevermore on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Danzig's Blackacidevil.

On Danzig 4, he experimented with some industrial sounds and started going the Nine Inch Nail route. It worked ok in small doses on a few songs. But by the next album, he went full-on "Trent Reznor" which turned me off. He also dumped the original band members around this time and it became more of a solo Glenn Danzig project rather than a band thing. One could argue that it's always been a Glenn-solo project, but it just didn't seem the same without Eerie, John & Chuck.

I've heard he's gone back to a more "organic" sound, but I wouldn't know for sure. Haven't heard much from him lately, other than that Lost Tracks set he put out a few years ago which I like.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:19 pm

I generally know what they're thinking but simply don't agree with it.

Can't think of any "what were they thinking" albums off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Have you heard Scorpions Eye II Eye?

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:24 pm

I know alot of fans love this album, but I thought "wtf?" when I first plunked ANTHRAX- "Sounds Of White Noise" into the cd player....I hate that album.

Agree with the SCORPIONS and MEGADETH picks....

WASP's "kfd" is another one...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Raven - The Pack Is Back
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Have you heard Scorpions Eye II Eye?

No. Is it one of the "total commercial sellout attempt" or the "half-hearted return to form" variety?
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:58 pm

King's X-Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous
Manowar-Gods Of War
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
No. Is it one of the "total commercial sellout attempt" or the "half-hearted return to form" variety?

You could say the first point is true. But when you consider that they added electronic drum beats, silly, gimmicky sounds and actually terrible songs, then it's not really a sellout, more of a, what the hell were they thinking.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:07 pm

NSYNC - Complete Discography

oh wait...bands I LIKE! lol!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:10 pm

snooloui wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

You could say the first point is true. But when you consider that they added electronic drum beats, silly, gimmicky sounds and actually terrible songs, then it's not really a sellout, more of a, what the hell were they thinking.

No, that perfectly fits the description of a desperate reach out to commercial popular musical styles.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 pm

LIVING SACRIFICE - Nonexistant

"WOOOOOOOORRRRRRRGGGGGG WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRR, WARWHIWHAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGG!!!"

Love 'em to death, but who thought DJ's vocal delivery would crush the charts? And better yet, how in the world does the label even produce it? You'd thing somebody....somewhere would have said something!!!???
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:28 pm

MOTLEY CRUE:GENERATION SWINE
KISS:CARNAVAL OF SOULS
VAN HALEN:III
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Ted Nugent-Penetrator, I replaced my vinyl copy with a CD copy and I had forgotten how wondered down and commerical this CD is, I know what Nugent was going for but this album was not going to convert any new fans and managed turn off alot of older fans, this is definitley not only what was he thinking but WTF?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Bride-Oddities

I know, they were trying to sound like the current sound but man, that stunk.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 6:22 pm

The new Lita Ford. I'm a big fan of her and thought there was no way it could be as bad as the reviews. I'm not even sure what they were trying for, or if they were even trying. The worst part of it all is how boring it is.

Funny thing is it completely killed dead my wanting to spend a little to get some Nitro discs.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 7:12 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
KISS - Peter Criss

I'd add "KISS - Gene Simmons" to that list as well. At least that's how I felt when I bought it the first time back in 8th grade. Now, thirty years later. I actually kind of like both of these albums, Gene's more than Peter's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What were they thinking?   What were they thinking? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What were they thinking?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next