Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard...

Go down 
+21
manny
Metal Misfit
journeyman
Glenn Rogers
TrogDawn
KissinMaiden
7thSecond
Required Fields
DallasBlack
rattpoison
Troublezone
mr.electric39
thejokeriv
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
mc666
caniplaywithmadness?
kmorg
zombiewalkin
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Were Def Leppard ever a heavy metal band...
YES! Of course they were a heavy metal band when they started.
Def Leppard... - Page 3 Vote_lcap80%Def Leppard... - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 80% [ 37 ]
NO! They were always a pop band.
Def Leppard... - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%Def Leppard... - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 46

AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 10:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Yes, Joe Elliot has been saying that Def Leppard were never a metal band since the late 1990's when heavy metal became a dirty word.

Yeah, last week I was listening to an XM Radio studio interview/acoustic show they gave about the time YEAH! came out and they got into the discussion of what sound they had. It's pretty funny that Elliot pretty much denies they're even rock (which depending on the song, he's right). I think he said something along the lines of "we're a really good pop band".

Anyway, their first two albums were definitely metal. Def Leppard, to this day, is still a rock band no matter what, but as far as "true" metal (whatever that means), I'd say just the first two albums. I haven't listened to ALL of High N Dry, and OTTN was good, but I prefer their brand of pop/metal/rock.

Joe reminds me of Jon Bon Jovi and all his denials of ever being a part of the 80s hard rock scene (and trash talking about those bands).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 10:10 pm

I just think their idea of pop is Queen and such. It's not what we know as pop. I mean, Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears, that's pop to me. Def Leppard can't be crazy enough to suggest they're like those kinds of bands/musicians/artists.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Last week I bought two Def Leppard DVD's, 'Visualize/Video Archives" and "Historia/Live in the Round,In Your Face" and I was surprised what a strong live band they are, loved the concert that was recorded during the Hysteria tour, just a great live band.

I remember seeing them in 1983 and again in 1987 and time had diminished my memories of what a great band they truly are. Steve Clark was a better guitartist than I remembered and was just very fun and visual on stage.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 6:16 am

DL was in ''metal'' 1st 3 albums than turn tu hair glam.
i think it isn't metal it's more hard than metal. something like AcDc or early Venom.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:44 pm

here is some surprising news:

Poison frontman Bret Michaels has confirmed that his band is in talks to tour with Def Leppard later in the year.

Speaking to CNN about his upcoming activities, Michaels said, "I've got a huge announcement, which actually just happened this morning. Def Leppard and Poison are gonna go out on the road this summer. And the reason that's exciting for me [is] I know it will be the rock tour this summer. Poison and Def Leppard, with all those big hits, being out there, we put out a great show, we've got a huge fanbase, but the one thing the fans get, we always keep the ticket prices down and deliver an absolutely awesome, kick-ass rock show. And I look forward to it, because I'm still a fan of music — I'm very passionate about the music I make — and when you can be out on the road with people you like — I've been able to go out with Aerosmith, KISS, Skynyrd — and to be out with Def Leppard and Poison this summer, I think that it's gonna be the tour of the summer."

The announcement of a possible tour featuring Poison and Def Leppard will undoubtely come as a surprise to most fans of the two heavyweight rock acts, both of whom have continued to do good business on the road despite the fact their most recent studio albums have failed to light up the charts.

Last summer, Poison was involved in a war of words with Def Leppard singer Joe Elliott over Elliott's comments at a June 2008 press conference at the Sweden Rock Festival, in which Joe said bands like Poison and Mötley Crüe had "no substance in their music" and therefore relied more on their image in the '80s. Michaels held his own press conference the next day and responded to Elliott's comments, saying, "We have not sold out, and continuously, for 20 years every arena because we care about just our appearance. The music comes first." He then added, "(Def Leppard) shouldn't be knocking anyone about their music since they just did a show called 'Dancing With The Stars' in the U.S. and they got crucified because they smurfing lip-synched the entire show, so before they bust anyone's balls, I've never lip-synched a smurfing thing in my life — ever! It's the pot calling the kettle black."

In a July 18th, 2008 message posted at Def Leppard's official web site, Elliott explained his original remarks by saying, "I was simply making the following simple point when I said a lot of those Hollywood bands weren't 'real' (or whatever I said)... I was born Joseph Elliott, Sav was born Richard Savage, Rick was born Richard Allen, Phil was born Philip Collen, Viv was born Vivian Campbell, and oh, Steve was born Stephen Clark. I don't think anyone in Poison uses their real name, do they? And I could name hundreds of others who don't, but Poison came to mind because I was asked about them! It's nothing personal, it was just an answer to a question."
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37653

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:51 pm

If this tour happens, I hope Joe Elliott has to ride inside Bret's "Rock of Love Bus." Then we can start a betting pool on how long it'll take before the first punch is thrown.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:57 pm

I say that tour will last about five seconds when Joe Elliott will make Bret Michaels eat his teeth, unless of course if Bret Michaels Sluts of Love girls are doing their pole dancing to the stripper anthem 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' than I am sure all will be forgiven.

Last edited by manny on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18944

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 am

I always just saw them as hard rock. Not metal or pop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Here's the buying guide from Classic Rock Magazine, see how many of you agree:

Buyers’ Guide: Def Leppard

terrybezer / Buyers Guides, Features / 07/01/2009 17:46pm

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Pyromania_cr

The band made from Sheffield steel who conquered America and became platinum-plated with their radio-friendly arena rock.
Words: Paul ElliotIf there’s one rock band that can truly be described as heroes, it’s Def Leppard. AC/DC overcame the death of singer Bon Scott to make the biggest-selling rock album of all time: Back In Black. Metallica recovered from the death of bassist Cliff Burton to become the most successful and influential metal band of the modern era. But Def Leppard have suffered two tragedies: the car crash in 1984 in which drummer Rick Allen lost his left arm, and the alcohol-related death of guitarist Steve Clark in 1991. The fact that Def Leppard are still together in 2008, still making great music and playing to audiences of 20,000 on their latest US tour, is testimony to the extraordinary courage and resolve of this great British rock band.
Having formed in Sheffield in 1977, Def Leppard were thinking big from the very start. Their name was inspired by Led Zeppelin, and the blueprint for their music was, as singer Joe Elliott has stated: “AC/DC meets Queen”. In 1979 Leppard rose to prominence alongside Iron Maiden in the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, although Leppard’s glam-inspired hard rock was radically different from what most NWOBHM bands were about. “We wanted to be a pop-rock band,” Elliott says. “We wanted to do what Bowie and Bolan did. We had more in common with Duran Duran than with Iron Maiden!”
Leppard knew instinctively where their biggest audience was; they even wrote a song called Hello America. And when they teamed up with AC/DC producer Mutt Lange in the early 80s they hit the jackpot. With Lange’s creative input earning him unofficial status as the band’s sixth member, Leppard conquered America with 1983’s Pyromania and 1987’s Hysteria, the first back-to-back albums ever to each sell seven million copies. Hysteria even made Def Leppard a household name back in Britain – a proud achievement for a band that famously sported Union Jack T-shirts during their US tours.
Undoubtedly it’s the phenomenal success of Pyromania and Hysteria that has extended Def Leppard’s career over 20 years, through some lean times when their feelgood rock has fallen out of fashion. But this is one band that never thought about quitting, not even in the darkest times. And as they’ve proved once again with their latest album, Songs From The Sparkle Lounge, for Def Leppard a rock is never out of the question.
ESSENTIAL: Classics
Def Leppard... - Page 3 Pyromania_crPyromania - Vertigo, 1983
When Def Leppard recorded this, the album that made them superstars, they were still each on wages of £40 a week. The serious money went into Pyromania’s production.
The result was state-of-the-art arena rock with the riff-power of AC/DC and the melodic sophistication of 80s pop.
Photograph was the key hit single, Die Hard The Hunter the epic set-piece (its riff nicked from Cliff Richard’s Devil Woman!), Rock Of Ages the stomping, We Will Rock You-style anthem, complete with joke faux-German intro from Mutt Lange.
“With Pyromania everything changed for us,” Elliott says.

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Hysteria_crHysteria - Bludgeon Riffola, 1987
It was conceived as hard rock’s answer to Michael Jackson’s Thriller, an album on which every track is a potential hit single.
And so it proved. Six of Hysteria’s 12 tracks were Top 20 US hits, with power ballad Love Bites reaching No.1 and rap-rock hybrid Pour Some Sugar On Me hitting No.2.
With 18 million copies sold worldwide, Hysteria is the biggest album of Leppard’s career, and also their most experimental. “We wanted to push the envelope of what rock music was,” Elliott says. Rocket, with its extended, Burundi-inspired drum break-down, typified their anything-goes approach.

SUPERIOR: Reputation cementing

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Highndry_crHigh ’N’ Dry - Vertigo, 1981
Leppard’s second album is the connoisseur’s choice, a hard rock tour de force that swept them out of the NWOBHM ghetto.
Working with Mutt Lange for the first time, Leppard made a huge leap forward from their debut, On Through The Night. Wisely, Mutt didn’t smooth off all of their rough edges.
Opening with the knockout one-two punch of Let It Go and Another Hit And Run, it’s the rowdiest and most balls-out, ass-kicking album the band have ever recorded. The pissed-up title track is Leppard’s Highway To Hell; the duelling guitars of Switch 625 had echoes of classic Thin Lizzy.

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Through_crOn Through The Night - Mercury, 1980
“We’ve never been heavy metal,” claims Joe Elliott. But for all his protestations, Leppard’s debut is a heavy metal album, plain and simple. In their youthful naivety, Leppard attacked their debut album with all the gusto of their NWOBHM peers.
No shame in that. The brutal Wasted has the streetwise appeal of early Iron Maiden, Rock Brigade and Rocks Off are the very definition of gonzoid, and the seven-minute Overture references 70s-vintage Rush and Kansas.
The true measure of Leppard’s ambitions was Hello America, with its polished vocal harmonies.
Def Leppard... - Page 3 Adrenalize_crAdrenalize - Mercury, 1992
Grunge didn’t kill hair-metal with a single blow. In March 1992, two months after Nirvana’s Nevermind topped the US chart, Def Leppard hit the top spot in America with Adrenalize.
The album party vibe of lead single Let’s Get Rocked might have suggested it was business as usual for Leppard, but in reality the band were still in mourning for Steve Clark, to whom Adrenalize was dedicated.
Adrenalize featured six tracks co-written with Clark, but it was a new song, White Lightning, that served as the most fitting epitaph: a meditation on Clark’s death, it has a Zeppelin-inspired grandeur he would have loved.

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Sparkle_crSongs From The Sparkle Lounge - Bludgeon Riffola, 2008
2008 was a banner year for classic rock, with AC/DC, Metallica and even Guns N’ Fuckin’ Roses all back in business. And you can add to that the best Def Leppard album since Hysteria.
Rejuvenated by a succession of triumphant US enormo-dome tours, Leppard delivered an arena-rock master-class with Songs From The Sparkle Lounge.
Nine Lives is classic Leppard, C’mon C’mon recalls the glory of 70s glam rock. Most adventurously, the richly textured, left-field power ballad Love is bassist Rick Savage’s homage to Queen.

GOOD: Worth exploring

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Retrolep_crRetro Active - Bludgeon Riffola, 1993
For an odds ‘n’ sods album, Retro Active was both astonishingly good and an impressively strong seller, achieving platinum status in the US. Leppard’s first album with guitarist Vivian Campbell, it also includes the last work of his predecessor Steve Clark.
Clark’s signature riffing drives the album’s weighty epics Desert Song and Fractured Love, the former styled on Zeppelin’s Kashmir. Elsewhere Leppard acknowledged other key influences with covers of The Sweet’s Action and Mick Ronson’s Only After Dark. The ballads Miss You In A Heartbeat and Two Steps Behind proved that the band could flourish without Mutt Lange’s studio trickery.
Def Leppard... - Page 3 Sland_crSlang - Bludgeon Riffola, 1996

After grunge, hair-metal’s superstars had to rethink. Jon Bon Jovi had a bob and pulled off a smart reinvention. But when Mötley Crüe went ‘alternative’ and Bret Michaels grew a beard, they weren’t fooling anyone.
In these trying times Leppard knew they couldn’t make another Adrenalize. As Joe Elliott recalls: “We went heavier and darker. And it nearly killed us!”
Slang sold a disappointing half-a-million copies in the US. But it’s a bold album, with great songs in Work It Out and the monolithic Pearl Of Euphoria.
Joe Elliott calls Slang “our most honest record”. But a return to the classic Leppard sound wasn’t far away.

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Euphoria_crEuphoria - Bludgeon Riffola, 1999
The title spoke volumes: a nod to Pyromania and Hysteria, a signal that the old Def Leppard was back after Slang. Even Mutt Lange was back lending a hand on Euphoria, not as producer but as co-writer of two songs, including lead single Promises, a super-slick, harmony-laden track reminiscent of 1987’s Animal.
Leppard ticked all the right boxes with Euphoria. Back In Your Face is the guiltiest of pleasures, a throwback to Gary Glitter’s pomp. Goodbye is a deluxe power ballad. And there’s something of Steve Clark’s swagger in Paper Sun, a song that Brian May says blew him away.
“We like Brian,” says Joe Elliott. “He rocks.”

AVOID

Def Leppard... - Page 3 Lepx_crX - Bludgeon Riffola, 2002
In 2006 Leppard’s covers album Yeah! suffered a terrible mauling from the press, most notably the one-word review: “No.”
Yeah! deserved better, certainly for Leppard’s inspired remakes of David Essex’s Rock On and ELO’s 10538 Overture. Certainly there are worse albums. Such as X.
Def Leppard have always embraced pop music. When making Hysteria, one of their key inspirations was Frankie Goes To Hollywood. But with X they went too far. By working with cheesy pop songwriters a great rock band lost its balls, albeit temporarily. Apart from one track, the beefy Four Letter Word, X is all pop and no rock. This really was a sell-out.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 9:09 pm

DL was heavy as heck in '79 but are pop-out-the-wazoo in '09! happy Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 2:50 pm

I would swap Sparkle Lounge with Euphoria in that list, Manny, but the rest is on point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 pm

Let me see, how many Def Leppard albums do I still have in my collection...ZERO...just the right amount!

lol!
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:56 pm

detuned wrote:
Let me see, how many Def Leppard albums do I still have in my collection...ZERO...just the right amount!

lol!
I own zero original DL CDs, but have some on tape somewhere. I look forward to seeing them on tour this summer with Poison, but that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard...
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3