Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard...

Go down 
+21
manny
Metal Misfit
journeyman
Glenn Rogers
TrogDawn
KissinMaiden
7thSecond
Required Fields
DallasBlack
rattpoison
Troublezone
mr.electric39
thejokeriv
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
mc666
caniplaywithmadness?
kmorg
zombiewalkin
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Were Def Leppard ever a heavy metal band...
YES! Of course they were a heavy metal band when they started.
Def Leppard... - Page 2 Vote_lcap80%Def Leppard... - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 80% [ 37 ]
NO! They were always a pop band.
Def Leppard... - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Def Leppard... - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 46

AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Def Leppard... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 12:53 am

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
i don't think they started out metal, however they have not always been a pop band. that really didn't start until Pyromania imho.

they started out a regular rock band.

Do you also think that about Saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, Satan, Blitzkrieg, etc.? They all had a sound not far off from "On Through the Night" and "The Def Leppard EP".
yes i do... regular rock.

ultmetal wrote:
Meatloaf and Bryan Adams? What do these two
bands have to do with "High n Dry", "On Through the Night" and the Def
Leppard EP? Not the same style whatsoever. Sure on later albums Def
Leppard were a pop band not unlike Bryan Adams, but those early albums
were NWOBHM in my opinion and in most records of metal history.
if you didn't want to hear differing opinions you should not have asked.

i agree with Eyesore, they were never a metal band. they were hard rock from the start.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 8:16 am

mc666 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Do you also think that about Saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, Satan, Blitzkrieg, etc.? They all had a sound not far off from "On Through the Night" and "The Def Leppard EP".

ultmetal wrote:

i agree with Eyesore, they were never a metal band. they were hard rock from the start.

Who said I didn't want to hear differing opinions? I just questioned comparing those old Def Leppard albums and songs like "Wasted" and "Ride Into the Sun" to Meatloaf and Bryan Adams. It's two completely different animals.

So you discount the entire NWOBHM movement as being heavy metal at all? Sounds like history revisionism to me. Bands like Saxon, Raven, Tygers of Pan Tang, Diamond Head, Blitzkrieg and Def Leppard defined heavy metal in the early 1980's. I doubt you'll find many longtime heavy metal fans that would agree with you that these bands were "just regular rock".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 8:25 am

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
And for the record, Def Leppard are still selling out arenas. They may be far from what you once liked about them, but they're far from washed-up.
I was just trying to make a joke. Lighten up, Francis.
They're my favorite band. angry

Might I also add that it's not just Joe that talks the "we were always a pop band" crap. They all do it. Of course, when I think pop, I think of NSync and crap. I don't think they mean it that way.

I agree with you here actually. Their idea of 'pop' and what pop actually is now is different. They think of pop as Mott the Hoople, T.Rex and Sweet. Not exactly NSync. LOL!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 9:48 am

They were a hard rock band up to hysteria.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 10:46 am

quiettype wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
They could have stayed the course of metal and ended up either a forgotton footnote in the history music like so many other NWOBHM bands of the era or a washed-up joke, touring the mid-west with Poison & Ratt.

Just got my tickets to see them with Foreigner and Styx at the Kentucky State Fair in August. May not be Poison and Ratt but I know a washed-up joke when I hear it.

Yee-haw,the Kentucky State Fair:lol!:
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 4:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
And for the record, Def Leppard are still selling out arenas. They may be far from what you once liked about them, but they're far from washed-up.
I was just trying to make a joke. Lighten up, Francis.
They're my favorite band. angry

Might I also add that it's not just Joe that talks the "we were always a pop band" crap. They all do it. Of course, when I think pop, I think of NSync and crap. I don't think they mean it that way.

what was that about this is only music????? lol!

I can only imagine if this thread was about RUSH !!!!!

(soundtrack to my life) lol!

no one likes their favorites trampled on..... No
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 1:45 am

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
mc666 wrote:

ultmetal wrote:

Who said I didn't want to hear differing opinions? I just questioned comparing those old Def Leppard albums and songs like "Wasted" and "Ride Into the Sun" to Meatloaf and Bryan Adams. It's two completely different animals.

So you discount the entire NWOBHM movement as being heavy metal at all? Sounds like history revisionism to me. Bands like Saxon, Raven, Tygers of Pan Tang, Diamond Head, Blitzkrieg and Def Leppard defined heavy metal in the early 1980's. I doubt you'll find many longtime heavy metal fans that would agree with you that these bands were "just regular rock".
the first albums by Saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, Satan,
Blitzkrieg were not the entire nwobhm movement. you know that as well
as i. stop putting words in my mouth. i never said what you are claiming i said.

as for who agrees with me, i could give a sh*t. if the guys who want to
delude themselves into believing Aerosmith was metal, also want to believe def leppard was..
more power to them. but don't act surprised others disagree. just quote them for what they said & not read more into it.

rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 3:45 am

Its interesting this debate about whether Def Leppard are Hard Rock or Heavy Metal, because hard rock and heavy metal are terms that i feel are interchangeable. In essence heavy metal is a sub genre of hard rock. Hard rock appeared first out of the mid to late 60's from bands like the Rolling Stones, The Who, Vanilla Fudge, Cream, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, early Led Zeppelin etc. Heavy metal then branched out from Hard Rock in the early 70's through bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep etc. just as Punk branched out from hard rock around the same time through The Stooges, New York Dolls etc. So a heavy metal band can be called a hard rock band just as hard rock can be called rock n' roll and rock n' roll can be called popular music. So Def Leppard are Heavy Metal but calling them hard rock is still correct. Def Leppard could also be called pop, so could Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Metallica etc. Pop is not a certain sound its a term for music that is pop(ular), and i would certainly say Def Leppard is since they are 1 of only 6 music artists of all time that have two seperate albums that have sold over 10 million.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 8:44 am

mc666,
I wasn't trying to be a prick. Perhaps we misunderstood each other. I asked if you thought bands like Saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, Satan, Blitzkrieg, etc. were heavy metal bands and made mention that these bands had a sound not that far removed from early Def Leppard. I picked a handful of the more well known NWOBHM bands. You're reply, or at least what I thought your reply was, "they are all just regular rock." How was I putting words into your mouth?

My point was simply, Def Leppard had a sound that wasn't that far removed from the rest of the NWOBHM bands at the time. That's it.

As for Aerosmith. What other bands were as heavy as them in the 1970's? "Rocks" is easily as heavy as any 70's platter from Black Sabbath or Judas Priest. I know they are "hard rock" by today's standards, but in the 1970's, they were certainly called a heavy metal band, as was Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, UFO, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Van Halen, etc. The terms 'hard rock' and 'heavy metal' were interchangeable in the 70's and into the 80's. If these bands were not 'heavy metal' in the 1970's, who was?

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 10:26 am

fair enough. i got a little defensive when i thought you were making out that i questioned the entire nwobhm movement as being metal.

i guess i did misunderstand you. i thought you were asking me if i thought def leppard was still regular rock even though they originally had a sound slightly similar to those other early bands you listed.

i wasn't born until 78, & didn't start listening to metal until 10 years later, so i don't dispute what was called metal back in the 70's early 80's. you would know better than i. i only judge it as i hear it now. i'm not trying to revise history.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 10:34 am

It's all cool. Sometimes it's easy to misunderstand someone on these boards. I understand what you were saying now. Thanks for clearing that up.

ult

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 10:39 am

Quote :
It's all cool. Sometimes it's easy to misunderstand someone on these boards.
YOU TALKIN' 'BOUT MY MAMA???????????????
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 11:00 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
It's all cool. Sometimes it's easy to misunderstand someone on these boards.
YOU TALKIN' 'BOUT MY MAMA???????????????

I didnt know mc666 was you mama,Uncle Saxon:lol!:
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 11:16 am

If this is your mama, she's hot!
Def Leppard... - Page 2 15-82
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 11:44 am

It's interesting that they are trying to make themselves a classic rock band these days, or so it seems. I mean, they've with Bryan Adams, Journey, Styx, Foreigner and REO Speedwagon on their last tours including the current one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 5:56 pm

Quote :
If this is your mama, she's hot!
Sorry, I misunderstood.

I can pretend Doro is my mama Saturday night (right Wargod?).
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 7:48 pm

I've only heard one or two songs from their early years but from what I have heard, yes, they were metal at the beginning.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm

I really, really, really hope they don't call their upcoming album Songs From The Sparkle Lounge. Seriously! George Michael would find that title pretty gay.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28453

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I really, really, really hope they don't call their upcoming album Songs From The Sparkle Lounge. Seriously! George Michael would find that title pretty gay.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:04 am

To me they are and have always been a metal band. The only difference is they went from being a heavy to being a hair metal band after Pyromania. Why are some people so obsessed with what genre Def Leppard considers themselves anyway? This subject sure seems to get brought up a lot.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:41 am

Def Leppard is metal!!!!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:59 am

ultmetal wrote:
Yes, Joe Elliot has been saying that Def Leppard were never a metal band since the late 1990's when heavy metal became a dirty word.
In case no one's noticed yet, Joe Elliiot is a putz. His "joking" on VH1's Behind the Music special about how Pete Willis was fired from the band was shameful to say the least. Evil or Very Mad

I am of the opinion that Leppard started out as a metal band, and when Willis left, he took their balls with him. Def Leppard... - Page 2 309780

Def Leppard... - Page 2 Pete-willis
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 7:10 pm

First 2 records were early metal... Like Saxon's early work...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 9:55 pm

I've always thought of them as more of a hard rock / heavy metal band that leaned more and more to the rock side with each album.

Eyesore wrote:

I agree. Not sure if they are pop.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 10:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Yes, Joe Elliot has been saying that Def Leppard were never a metal band since the late 1990's when heavy metal became a dirty word.

Yeah, last week I was listening to an XM Radio studio interview/acoustic show they gave about the time YEAH! came out and they got into the discussion of what sound they had. It's pretty funny that Elliot pretty much denies they're even rock (which depending on the song, he's right). I think he said something along the lines of "we're a really good pop band".

Anyway, their first two albums were definitely metal. Def Leppard, to this day, is still a rock band no matter what, but as far as "true" metal (whatever that means), I'd say just the first two albums. I haven't listened to ALL of High N Dry, and OTTN was good, but I prefer their brand of pop/metal/rock.

Joe reminds me of Jon Bon Jovi and all his denials of ever being a part of the 80s hard rock scene (and trash talking about those bands).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next