Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what do you all think of Winger now

Go down 
+26
arttieTHE1manparty
rattpoison
kmorg
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Gilbert
exact33
MetalH
Required Fields
DallasBlack
Stender
Metallic Blaze
Cliffy
jstate
Schbopo
Ben Grimm
ultmetal
DeathCult
Temple of Blood
Svengo
Metal Misfit
manny
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
fingers
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 11:27 am

Quote :
I have been listening to Pull and gotta say its one hell of an album

I only have/know about Pull, but I like it quite a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 am

Morgenstern & Beach are both excellent musicians (especially Rod), but they were "slumming it for cash" with this band.

Same thing goes for Mr. Big.....
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 11:34 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Their must be 10 copies of their debut at the one store here, they cant even give em away what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 201269

That doesn't mean anything...I can also usually find a ton of Led Zeppelin and AC/DC discs at the used places too...does that mean they suck? what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_lol

It does when they're priced at 1.99 and havent sold for close to a year, my main point was actually that it was pretty easy to find though.

Again, has no bearing on quality...just on what people feel like listening too..."quality" is subjective anyway...I've found CD's I loved for less than $1...

So have I, but Winger is just another one of those "aqua net in the chest hair" type deals for me. They had some good musicans in the band, with a few decent ounding song, but its just not my thing, Id much rather hear Red unrestrained then playing "In The Heart Of The Young"
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 11:35 am

detuned wrote:
Morgenstern & Beach are both excellent musicians (especially Rod), but they were "slumming it for cash" with this band.

Same thing goes for Mr. Big.....

I thought the same thing when it came to Winger and Mr. Big, but I now feel that these guys actually doing like playing the more radio friendly rock. Reb Beach went from Winger to Whitesnake which all mine the same type of genre IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 11:50 am

Kip Winger is so unappreciated. He had the pretty-boy thing happening, but he's every bit the musician/composer that Beach or Morgenstein is...guitar, keys, bass, vocals...all around guy.

As for "slumming it for cash", that's just an uneducated statement. Crafting a hook, one that people still sing 20+ years later, isn't exactly an easy thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Kip Winger is so unappreciated. He had the pretty-boy thing happening, but he's every bit the musician/composer that Beach or Morgenstein is...guitar, keys, bass, vocals...all around guy.

As for "slumming it for cash", that's just an uneducated statement. Crafting a hook, one that people still sing 20+ years later, isn't exactly an easy thing to do.

Gotta say I agree 110%, again.

what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 438278
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Its been forever since i have heard some of their stuff but since re-acquiring some of the albums I have to say - Winger has held up much better than a lot of their contemporaries who either sold out to another style or went bye bye altogether. I dont care for the image but the music is good...

Alex

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:35 pm

It's not "uneducated" to think that these guys were all about trying to make big money.

He didn't say you could do it without talent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:36 pm

I love this:

Kip Winger wrote:
I also love Def Leppard and I think they’re a great band. But if Joe Elliott wants to meet me at an L.A. club of his choice with an acoustic guitar, leave the Pro Tools at home and I’ll open up a can of whoop-ass on him!

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/kip-winger-slams-metallica-def-leppard/

what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Lol
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:39 pm

They didn't "evolve" like Pantera into something completely different they just did what worked for them. And i think they are pretty good musicians especially Reb Beach.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
It's not "uneducated" to think that these guys were all about trying to make big money.

He didn't say you could do it without talent.

What's uneducated about it is saying that they were taking their talent and "slumming" in a somehow (insinuated) inferior style of music...it takes just as much talent to make good Melodic Rock as it does good Thrash and neither style is any better than the other...just different. Playing Melodic Rock isn't "slumming"...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:15 pm

I think what hurt Winger was not just Beavis and Butthead but their image was so geared to the female pop metal fan, that wrong or right they were looked as a pretty boy hair band with no depth.

Every video featured Kip Winger pouting for the camera, etc. I know lots of bands did this during this era but Winger was singled out as the worst offenders.

This of course has very little to do with music, that is just image. As musicians, in the pop metal world, this guys where one of the more accomplised bands and I think when you get to 'Pull' Winger where already moving away from that image and their songs where incorporating influences from other sources.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Most 80s Rock bands fell victim to the hairspray abuse...even King's X...on a musical level, you could strip the ultra-slick production off of the first 2 Winger albums and the songs would stand on their own.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:42 pm

The only song by them that gets on my nerves is "Seventeen".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Straight up target-writing if I've ever heard it and easily my least favorite Winger song...the vocal & the music are great...the lyrics are sh!te...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Straight up target-writing if I've ever heard it and easily my least favorite Winger song...the vocal & the music are great...the lyrics are sh!te...

I don't care for "Seventeen" much either but I have fond memories of that song anyway, because years ago when I was at a club show it was played between bands and a totally hot (and doubtlessly severely inebriated) female patron performed a rather, shall we say, "explicit" interpretive dance routine to it, which kept everyone entertained till the next band came on what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_lol

Ahhh, the '80s. We shall never see the likes of it again.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Quote :

It was when everything was over the top. "Decade of decadence" thrash was ruling the underground and hair metal ruled mtv. I miss those days... and the chicks had tight jeans. what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:26 pm

In concert they've changed 17 to 33 or somewhere in there.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:31 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
In concert they've changed 17 to 33 or somewhere in there.

Check out the 3:18 mark.... what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 201269

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPcIi_SSick
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I don't care for "Seventeen" much either but I have fond memories of that song anyway, because years ago when I was at a club show it was played between bands and a totally hot (and doubtlessly severely inebriated) female patron performed a rather, shall we say, "explicit" interpretive dance routine to it, which kept everyone entertained till the next band came on what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_lol

I think it was after seeing an "exotic dancer" gyrate to the sounds of "Seventeen" that it inspired me to pull the old five-finger discount and liberate Winger's debut from Tower Records. Same thing when I heard the song "Lips n' Hips" by the Electric Boys, although I might have paid for that one.

Come to think of it, allot of the hair metal tapes I had back in the day were probably inspired by strippers shaking their goodies to the sounds of loud geetars and sexual inuendo.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:36 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Come to think of it, allot of the hair metal tapes I had back in the day were probably inspired by strippers shaking their goodies to the sounds of loud geetars and sexual inuendo.

I have similar fond memories associated with "The Zoo" by the Scorpions because it was playing in a strip club while a particularly hot dancer did some interesting things to it. what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_wink

Hell, I even have fond memories attached to Beck's "Loser" (!) because it was played during my first-ever lap dance. what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_lol

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:48 pm

dang, u guys done figured out me never got edumacated....
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:15 pm

detuned wrote:
dang, u guys done figured out me never got edumacated....

Weez just dumb as hell aint we?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:26 pm

manny wrote:
I think what hurt Winger was not just Beavis and Butthead but their image was so geared to the female pop metal fan, that wrong or right they were looked as a pretty boy hair band with no depth.

Every video featured Kip Winger pouting for the camera, etc. I know lots of bands did this during this era but Winger was singled out as the worst offenders.

This of course has very little to do with music, that is just image. As musicians, in the pop metal world, this guys where one of the more accomplised bands and I think when you get to 'Pull' Winger where already moving away from that image and their songs where incorporating influences from other sources.

It was hard to distinguish those bands with talent from those LA Guns-type bands. To me at least, Winger has aged gracefully.

Alex

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:41 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
What's uneducated about it is saying that they were taking their talent and "slumming" in a somehow (insinuated) inferior style of music...it takes just as much talent to make good Melodic Rock as it does good Thrash and neither style is any better than the other...just different. Playing Melodic Rock isn't "slumming"...

I dunno ... Morgenstein might've been slumming ....

I have a feeling the vast majority of Winger songs are much easier to perform than what he was doing in the Dixie Dregs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what do you all think of Winger now
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next