Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Winger - Push: How was it?

Go down 
+12
MetalGuy71
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
glassprison
Gilbert
Eyesore
Required Fields
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Red Kitty
muckie
16 posters
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Winger - Push: How was it? Empty
PostSubject: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 2:25 pm

The third and last is one I honestly never got to hear. What did you guys think of it?
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 2:44 pm

First of all, it's titled 'Pull'. Secondly, it's not their last. They have released 3 since then, the most recent coming out last year. And thirdly, I've not heard it myself and would like to know the opinions of others as well...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 3:11 pm

I only own a best-of by Winger, and oddly the track listing is top heavy with "Pull" cuts; the first five or six songs on the CD are from that album. I know Kip Winger feels that "Pull" was their best CD, but it still seemed weird to front-load a "greatest hits" album with so many songs that were never hits.

Anyway, I haven't listened to that disc in a while but I seem to remember "Down Incognito" being the standout of the "Pull" songs on that comp, for whatever that's worth. Now that you have me thinking about it I'll have to dig it out and give it a spin.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Pull is probably the best of the first three. It moved away from the lighter stuff from the debut and follow up. Here's a couple tracks :

The acoustic closer and a personal fave of mine
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 7:15 pm

I heard the heavier direction on "Pull" was an attempt to gain some respect after the years of jokes on Beavis and Butthead and the Nothing Else Matters video (with the darts).
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Actually, Pull came out around the same time Beavis and Butt-Head premiered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 7:41 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Actually, Pull came out around the same time Beavis and Butt-Head premiered.

Then maybe the Metallica part is true. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Found this little tidbit of info from another site...

The band’s fall was swift and devastating. Winger was mocked regularly on the grunge-era staple Beavis and Butt-Head. Lars Ulrich threw darts at a Winger poster in the video for Metallica’s “Nothing Else Matters” (an impassioned power ballad in nominal speed-metal clothing). Frontman Kip Winger named the band’s next record, 1993’s Pull, as a joke about critics using the CD for skeet-shooting practice. Not long after, Winger broke up.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Whatever the reason, they put together a pretty good release.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 12:26 am

Pull is fantastic! Shame it came out at a time when everyone was abandoning that style of music. And yes, the whole Beavis and Butt-Head thing didn't help. But it's truly a lost gem of that era. Really great album.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 am

Love this album. One of my favourite releases from the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 7:56 am

Gilbert wrote:

...except it was released in 1993 Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 8:33 am

While I like all of their records, Pull has some of the best songs they've recorded.

I started to make a list of my favorite tracks but realized it would be easier to say that the only ones I don't care for are "No Man's Land" and "Like a Ritual." But even those are not bad. They just pale in comparison to the quality of the others.

The Japanese bonus track "Hell to Pay" is also pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Their best and you need to own it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 12:59 pm

It's grown on me. I only recently heard it for the first time and wasn't impressed. I felt the whole 'heavy' aspect was mechanical and forced. But the more I listen to it, the more it catches on. Still can't compare to the aural ear candy of the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

...except it was released in 1993 Very Happy

sorry for the typo error. I meant the 90's. Actually I typed this message while working on a franchise agreement. So pardon the oversight :-)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 2:15 pm

I haven't heard a Winger album since I had their debut on tape, which I purchased shortly after a rather spirited night in the local strip club and some memorable gyrations to 'Seventeen'. Never gave 'em much thought after that, even though a buddy of mine would constantly remind me of what top-notch musicians they were and how good their albums were.

Anyhoo, those clips sounded pretty decent. I like that 'Junkyard Dog' tune. Not sure I'll be tracking down any albums, but if I saw them cheap in the used bins, I might consider a purchase.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 3:11 pm

As much as I really like their debut, I think this is Winger's best in a photo finish. I love the songs "Down Incognito", "Junkyard Dog (Tears On Stone)", "Spell I'm Under", and "Blind Revolution Mad".

"No Man's Land", "The Lucky One" & "In For the Kill" are also very good.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 9:49 pm

I like Pull a lot. It is one of their albums i come back to time and time again.

Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 11:50 pm

I personally thought Pull was a decent album, though it's my least favorite in Winger's discography.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Their best album by far. I also don't think Beavis and Butthead hurt the band - it was media exposure, and as the saying goes there is no such thing as bad publicity
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winger - Push: How was it?   Winger - Push: How was it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winger - Push: How was it?
Page 1 of 1