Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what do you all think of Winger now

Go down 
+26
arttieTHE1manparty
rattpoison
kmorg
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Gilbert
exact33
MetalH
Required Fields
DallasBlack
Stender
Metallic Blaze
Cliffy
jstate
Schbopo
Ben Grimm
ultmetal
DeathCult
Temple of Blood
Svengo
Metal Misfit
manny
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
fingers
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

what do you all think of Winger now Empty
PostSubject: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 7:02 am

Just wondering what all your thoughts on Winger these days. I have been listening to Pull and gotta say its one hell of an album after I downloaded it after I saw ultmetal's review. So I wonder if most of you have forgiven the band now lol from Kip Winger's alter ego smurf he said in the early 90s bragging how superior the band was, his ballerina crap I gotta admit he deserved to ridiculed back then. I got to see Winger live 2 years ago while they opening for Ratt and they played most of the songs from that album as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 7:32 am

WINGER is one of my favorite bands...Top 15 easy...all of the band's stuff is great, IMO. Kip is a great singer/composer too. Pull is indeed a killer record!

They have a new album coming soon called Karma and I can't wait!

Kip's solo albums, IMO, are fantastic! Reminded me of a more Rock version of Peter Gabriel or something...great melody and song structure!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:31 am

Was never a huge fan of Winger, I like a few odd songs here and there but I gotta say I saw them live once back in the day (opening for KISS) and they were an excellent live band.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:03 am

They deserve more credit than they get - the band is full of excellent musicians. I saw Winger live back in the day and they put on a GREAT show. I had to take my younger brother, I didn't want to see winger, but they played well and sounded great live. Of course, a band that was just about to hit it big with "More Than Words" opened up and blew Winger off the stage as the opening act!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:10 am

I saw Winger live opening up for the Brian Howe version of Bad company, not a major fan of Winger but they blew Bad Company away.

Their albums have some great songs, and I liked their debut album alot (expect their cover of Jimi Hendrix's 'Purple Haze' they are not worthy), all solid well written songs.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:28 am

I like their debut, I didn't like IV, I'm looking forward to Karma because it is supposedly a bit of a throwback to their '80s days, haven't heard the other two.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 am

Whenever Winger comes up I think of this funny story:

Some years back one day at a former job I was talking with a manager and somehow the conversation turned to various 80's bands that we thought were kinda cheesy. Inevitably Winger came up and the requisite conversation about Kip's reputation, his shooting of a Playgirl spread, the fact that they were the butt of jokes for a long time, etc... During the conversation the manager's eyes suddenly got really big as I'm just talking away. I suddenly get a tap on my shoulder and I turn around to face, you guessed it, Kip Winger. As I'm thinking back to how long ago it was that my manager may have noticed him, I realize that Kip probably heard much of what I said. I ended up helping him out for about ten minutes or so and Kip didn't seem too annoyed by the whole thing.
After he left we all had a pretty good laugh over it. Very Happy

After that I think I ran into 20 or more 80's music stars at that job. I sometimes think half of the musicians from the 80's live around here.

Last edited by Svengo on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:41 am

I think less of them now than I did back in the day when they first came out.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:42 am

I still think they suck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
I like their debut, I didn't like IV, I'm looking forward to Karma because it is supposedly a bit of a throwback to their '80s days, haven't heard the other two.

It's not...the samples I've heard suggest a blend of Pull and IV...more energy and rocking in places, but no "Seventeen"/"Headed For A Heartbreak" moments...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 11:06 am

DeathCult wrote:
I still think they suck.

x2

what do you all think of Winger now Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 12:00 pm

detuned wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
I still think they suck.

x2

what do you all think of Winger now Icon_cheers

You're both tone-deaf... what do you all think of Winger now Lol
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 12:19 pm

Like 'em, though they are not one of my favorite bands. Ran into Kip Winger at a concert once. He lives in New Mexico.

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 12:38 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Ran into Kip Winger at a concert once.

Oh yeah? Was he behind the concession stand? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 12:40 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Ran into Kip Winger at a concert once.

Oh yeah? Was he behind the concession stand? what do you all think of Winger now Icon_smile

Pure Awesomeness, my friend...pure awesomeness. what do you all think of Winger now Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 12:48 pm

LOL!

I met him at the Slaughter/Cinderella/Dokken show in Albuquerque. His former guitarist was with Dokken at the time, so I guess he went to see Dokken perform. I had guest passes for the show and met him in the guest tent.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 4:44 pm

I like them, always have. They kick ass they got a bad rep from Stewart wearing the t shirt on Beavis and Butt head. They got blasted huge by that if you would have put up any other band on Stewarts tshirt we'd be talking about how crappy they were instead.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 6:06 pm

I like Winger. Great 80's cheese metal.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 7:16 pm

They were one of those bands that back in the day I would act like I hated only to have "Can't Get Enuff" secretly cranking on my walkman. These days it's more beginning of summer music for me. I would have to hear incredible things about the new release for me to pick it up. I'm perfectly happy with the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 7:22 pm

I didn't like 'em when they came out and that has never changed.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 7:30 pm

LOVE THEM!!!

Easily one of my favorite hard rock bands!

I don't have "IV" yet, but plan on getting it soon - and their new one!

Out of their first three, they are all gold - but I'd rank and rate as such:

1. Pull 9/10 (what an underrated gem of an album!)
2. II: In the Heart of the Young 9/10
3. Winger 9/10

I like them all almost the same! But I give "Pull" the slight edge just because of how heavy and aggressive it is - over the first two.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 11:19 pm

The first two had some good songs but Pull was amazing all the way through. IV was more straight ahead rock but a very good album.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:30 am

Still limp-wristed and effeminate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 7:22 am

The new album Karma rocks hard! It's like a blend of Pull (energy, rocking) and IV (dark, moody)with only hints of the first two...a lot more up-tempo rockers and lots of energy...good melodic structure too...no "Seventeen" or "Easy Come Easy Go" moments, but a strong record to be sure!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 9:59 am

As much as we joke Winger (Yes, stewart from B&BH), they are actually a very talented band
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what do you all think of Winger now   what do you all think of Winger now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what do you all think of Winger now
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next