Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dire Straits

Go down 
+11
Mglaffas81
Neuropete
thejokeriv
Troublezone
Sutekh
Svengo
QuothTheRaven
tohostudios
manny
Schbopo
iamrockerfun
15 posters
AuthorMessage
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 4:47 pm

man o man, i jumping on their albums, since i've seen their videoclip on Vh1 called - Walk of Life. they catch me. of cors i know band for a long time especially Mark Knopfler but this time, i'm much more interested in ther style and hsi style of music. dunno what's happen. maybe need more music from 80s. really good listen while driving or go sleeping, comfotable, rounchy, slow, clean, perfec clean voice which fits into the music.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:47 pm

I respect Mark Knopfler as a guitarist and songwriter, but I could never really get into the Dire Straits. Not sure why.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 pm

I am fan of Dire Straits and I think iamrockerfun, you should start with a greatest hits package or maybe 'Brothers in Arms' one of their strongest albums but you can't really go wrong with any of their bands.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 8:04 am

I like Dire Straits but I'm not sure why. My faves are Brothers In Arms and Making Movies.

I really should hate this band because of the Dylan-esque vocals but I like 'em.

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:26 pm

Knopfler is a very underrated song writer and guitar player for that matter. Love me some Dire Straits!
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Definitely an excellent band! I like most of Knopfler's other output as well.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:01 am

Love the band, have the discography. Knopfler is an underrated, very tasteful player, who also lets loose with some amazing solos live, too. Love Over Gold is probably my favourite album, chiefly becuase it has the epic Telegraph Road!
Back to top Go down

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:50 am

Dire Straits Signs-go

Knopfler is such an excellent musician and songwriter, even when I don't particularly like the song I always admire the craft that went into it. But there are definitely alot of great songs...Industrial Disease, Sultans Of Swing, Money For Nothing, etc. Dire Straits was the type of band that could get played on the radio, without compromising their sound.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 3:04 am

I like Knopfler's picking style. No one else in rock seems to do it the same way.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:54 am

When I was younger, they used to play sultans of swing on the radio ALL THE TIME - i got so SICK of that song!!!!!

That said, they are a good band, I am just not a fan
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:25 am

tohostudios wrote:
I like Dire Straits but I'm not sure why. My faves are Brothers In Arms and Making Movies.

I really should hate this band because of the Dylan-esque vocals but I like 'em.

I agree that vocals are very Bob Dylan like, I am huge Bob Dylan fan so that has never bothered me too much. Mark Knopfler co produced and played guitar on a few tracks on Dylan's 'Infidels' album, which IMO is excellent.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:47 am

iamrockerfun wrote:
man o man, i jumping on their albums, since i've seen their videoclip on Vh1 called - Walk of Life. they catch me. of cors i know band for a long time especially Mark Knopfler but this time, i'm much more interested in ther style and hsi style of music. dunno what's happen. maybe need more music from 80s. really good listen while driving or go sleeping, comfotable, rounchy, slow, clean, perfec clean voice which fits into the music.

I love Mark Knopfler. I think he is one of the most distinct guitarists around. I live most of their stuff, but I am a particular fan of Making Movies. Great album.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:50 pm

im cheking his web site and i see his tour over the world next year. i cant miss it.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 9:30 am

Yes, great band!!

"Brothers In Arms" is their "Master of Puppets", in my opinion. My personal favourite!

"Money For Nothing" has got to be my favourite song, as it bears special nostalgic value to me, as well as the overall song is just amazing - The lyrics are hilarious to boot!
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 8:44 pm

Money for Nothing has that great build up to the classic opening riff which was stunning live. Hilarious lyrics and ground-breaking video, too!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Sutekh wrote:
Love the band, have the discography. Knopfler is an underrated, very tasteful player, who also lets loose with some amazing solos live, too. Love Over Gold is probably my favourite album, chiefly becuase it has the epic Telegraph Road!

MARK IS THE MAN AND i NEVER CONSIDERED HIM UNDERRATED. He gets a lot of attention around boards for being an amazing player. I like me some Dire....
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 7:33 pm

manny wrote:
I am fan of Dire Straits and I think iamrockerfun, you should start with a greatest hits package or maybe 'Brothers in Arms' one of their strongest albums but you can't really go wrong with any of their bands.

That's what I have. Sultans of Swing is one of the best songs of that era IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:42 am

Schbopo wrote:
I respect Mark Knopfler as a guitarist and songwriter, but I could never really get into the Dire Straits. Not sure why.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:25 am

i only have brothers in arms and a greatest hits on vinyl but they are two of the most played records in my collection. always liked dire straists
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 3:26 pm

i got new pro shot dvds
Basel 92
London 85
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dire Straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dire Straits   Dire Straits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dire Straits
Page 1 of 1