Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews

Go down 
+15
jstate
MetalGuy71
Shiney
Required Fields
kmorg
SAHB Healer
manny
tohostudios
sam
thejokeriv
mr.electric39
bgast1
A Handful of Wayne
Stender
SideShowDisaSter
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 7:37 pm

My partner in crime seems to have vanished so I'll probably review my own Comp Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:15 pm

Locky wrote:
My partner in crime seems to have vanished so I'll probably review my own Comp Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_biggrin

If you want set it up for download, I'll get it and review it for you after I do DallasBlack's.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:44 pm

bgast1 wrote:
Locky wrote:

If you want set it up for download, I'll get it and review it for you after I do DallasBlack's.

If it's a long one, I;ll take 1/2!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Quote :
Just so you know Bloodrock is mostly a rock n roll band. They never really made it too big. When I saw them, they played with Grand Funk Railroad. They never really made it big, but were hard rock. D.O.A. is about the only radio hit that I remember, and not exactly characteristic of their other stuff. Nevertheless, I like them and own most of their albums.

I love most rock n' roll so I'll probably still look into them.

Quote :
I was kind of hesitant to put on the comedy routines, but couldn't help myself with the travels of Buster the body crab. I laugh hard every time I hear that one, the other one I figured dads and kids could all relate to.

Comedy is one of my oldest pastitmes so I'm glad you put them on there, plus that song was pretty dang diddily dang (a little Ned Flanders lingo there) good.

Quote :
I'm not sure that Iron Butterfly's stuff is all that good.

I have doubts they are either. Without the guitar solo, that song would be pretty boring.

Quote :
I remember that I was searching for just about anything that guitar solo's back then.

I love guitar solos and they are perhaps on of my favorite parts of music. Even bands that I like w/o them sound better with them IMO (Grave Robber and P.O.D as most recent examples).

Quote :
By the way, I really like your comp. I am not a very good reviewer, though. I will still get something up after I listen to each tune individually again and try to write something.

No problem, I'm not very good at reviews myself. I want to improve on that and review more stuff around here but I'm a bit lazy (glad I still have a ways to go before I have to tackle the Dream Theater discography-depending when we get to it, I may have to postpone it due to school).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 6:24 am

Will have disc 2 uploaded this weekend (I THINK) Chris.

Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 pm

It's well past time that I got up a review of DallasBlack's comp. I'm not much of a reviewer. I either like what I hear or I don't. Overall I enjoyed Disc 1, which is all I have done so far, very much. Not one song got less than an 8/10. So here goes:

1. Aska--Legion - A rousing introduction to this comp. with announcing trumpets to start out. This is from the Absoute Power album and was great song to begin a comp with. 10/10

2. Seasons of the Wolf -- Storm of the Century - Haunting keyboards, angry vocals. This is my first exposure to Seasons of the Wolf. I will certainly be seeking out this band. I love the vocals. A little research tells me this comes from an album called Nocturnal Revelation. 10/10

3. Symphony X -- The Sacrifice - Not much needs to be said. This comes from their last album that I am aware of. Paradise Lost. I have always enjoyed Russell Allen's vocals whether with Star One, Ayreon, and especially Symphony X. 10/10

4. Arena -- Cutting the Cards - I don't don't know this band, but when it comes to progressive rock, I am a big sucker. I'm not sure which album this comes from but I think Live & Life. I certainly will be looking into adding Arena to my collection. 9/10

5. Thunderstone -- Until We Touch the Burning Sky - Thunderstone is a power metal band from Helsinki, Finland. To me, they sound pretty much alike a lot of bands from this genre. That being said, I like this genre. This is the first track off of the album Burning Sun. I previously did not know this band, but I will probably add them to my collection. I enjoyed listening to this song. 10/10

6. Kerry Livgren -- Hero's Canticle - How can you go wrong with Kerry Livgren, if you are an old Christian guy like me? I live Kerry Livgren, especially his work with Kansas. Great lyrics on this song as well. 10/10

7. Khymera -- Fields of Fire - I haven't heard this band, although I have heard of them. A little research reveals that the vocals are handled by Dennis Ward of Pink Cream 69. I will be buying their albums. 10/10

8. Marillion -- White Russian - I've heard Marillion, but not a lot. This song certainly makes me think that I ought to put their albums into my collection. As I've said before, I am a sucker for progressive rock. This song reminds me of early Genesis. I love early Genesis. 10/10

9. Ugly Kid Joe -- Come Tomorrow
- If I were to have anything negative to say about this comp. The inclusion of this song would be it. I just don't think that it fits with the overall tone of the comp. Nevertheless this a very minor coment, it just changes things up a bit before DallasBlack heads right back into the progressive metal and rock type songs again. Enough said, the horse is dead already.

I've not paid a lot of attention to Ugly Kid Joe. I don't own anything by them and probably won't put them on a high priority, but this was a decent enough song, to consider picking up an album to check them out further. 8/10

10. & 11. Kamelot -- Regalis Apetura & Forever -- The first two tracks off the Karma album. I own this album. I will seek to own their complete discography. At first, I wasn't a huge fan of Khan's vocals, but they have grown on me, and now Kamelot is one of my favorite bands. I also like Conception too. 11/10

12. Human Zoo -- Over the Horizon - I own this album also. It's an ok listen, but I don't recall anything really memorable about the album. Perhaps, I should revisit it. It has been several months. 9/10

13. Heaven's Fire -- Can You Believe - At first I couldn't find anything at all about this band. Then I tagged it in WinAmp and found out that this song comes from their only album The Outside. I still couldn't find out much, as they are split up. Even if I wanted to I probably couldn't find this album. Are they a Christian band? 9/10

14. Alestorm -- Leviatan - I have this album, I like Alestorm. I always think of old sailing ships, pirates, and taverns whenever I hear Alestorm. 10/10

15. Toto -- Dune (Desert Theme) -- I like Toto in small doses of their major hits. This is a nice instrumental 10/10

I will put up a review of disc 2, after I get a chance to listen to it again, and write up a review.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Glad you liked the comp. Here are some comments:

The Arena song comes form Contagion (the only album I have so far) and it is a masterful prog rock album to be sure. I need to find more of them myself.

Khymera is one of the best melodic hard rock bands I know of and both A New Promise and The Greatest Wonder are fine albums. According to other's though it's best to avoid the first album (Steve Walsh's-the vocalist at the time-voice was not in the best condition at the time).

Marillion is one of my all time favorite prog bands and I almost have every one of the early albums (except the debut-though I did have it several years ago). If you'd like, PM me and I can send you a comp of some of the songs-a personal best of if you will (similar to one I sent to Joker a while back). Also if you can't find it and you'd like, I could make you a copy of the Heaven's Fire album (though I don't think they're a Christian band) seeing as it is not an easy find. One of the members died which led to their break up.

Though some would say otherwise, the only Ugly Kid Joe album I would suggest is America's Least Wanted.

Seasons Of The Wolf, like Aska, are a very underrated indie band. To me the vocals are a mix of Bobby Blitz (Overkill) and Jon Oliva (Savatage). I only have two albums and Nocturnal Revelation is the better of the two.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:48 pm

DallasBlack,

I think that I am going to track down Marillion's discography.

on Seasons of the Wolf, I see the Bobby Blitz comparison, but I also thought perhaps Metal Church as well. That song you put on the comp. kicked some serious butt. I loved that non-distorted guitar solo too.

I might pick up that America's Least Wanted CD.

I bet it will be pretty hard to find that Heaven's Fire CD. I noted that metal archives said that the drummer had been killed in a house fire. I didn't correlate the time frame though.

I'll try to work on that 2nd disc a little bit tonight. Oh by the way, I own Absolute Power too.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:24 pm

bgast1 wrote:

Unless you already decided to go in order, I'd suggest Clutching At Straws (White Russian comes from that) and Misplaced Childhood first. The latter is concidered a classic and their best but I think Clutching At Straws is just that much better (espcially Warm Wet Circles and Sugar Mice).

Quote :
Oh by the way, I own Absolute Power too.

Awesome album and a total blind buy. I was looking at Best Buy's CDs and it was right there in plain view. Even cooler than that, I found out that they're from The Colony, TX which is where I went to Hight School and the location of the Wal-Mart I work in.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 pm

DallasBlack,

Yikes, the site that I go to, to download albums from (and I pay for them) has 17 pages of Marillion. I think I need some help on what to choose, besides the two you mentioned.

I wonder if there are several bands that call themselves Aska, I am going to check it out.

How come Walmart has a crappy CD selection? At least here in Round Lake, IL they do. I always have to go to Best Buy if I don't go on line. I hate paying shipping and handling though.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:00 pm

bgast1 wrote:
DallasBlack,

Yikes, the site that I go to, to download albums from (and I pay for them) has 17 pages of Marillion. I think I need some help on what to choose, besides the two you mentioned.

I wonder if there are several bands that call themselves Aska, I am going to check it out.

How come Walmart has a crappy CD selection? At least here in Round Lake, IL they do. I always have to go to Best Buy if I don't go on line. I hate paying shipping and handling though.

Because the buying department bases what they carry on the demand. Since the majority of buying hordes have crappy taste in music they have a better selection than those of us who's musical tastes are more refined. Of course Best Buy over the years have gotten or are getting just as bad.

The Aska in question is the only Aska I know of. Still amazes me that they come from this area because Texas is mostly known for country music, The Houston bands (a city that is 6-8 hours away from here), and Pantera. Although King Diamond and Dennis Ward (PC69/Khymera) live in Dallas they aren't origionally from here.

Marillion has two phases. The Fish era and the Hogarth era and except for the first couple of H albums are different (and even the H era has two phases). The two I mentioned are from the Fish era and it is the most popular one (and most progressive-the later Marillion is more progressive pop). As I said, I have almost have all the Fish stuff. As far as the H stuff I only have Seasons End (which is the closest the H era comes to the Fish era), This Strange Engine (an unusual album but one I've grown to love), and marillion.com (which is a poppy prog but the music is very good). Of course the most striking feature of Marillion is Steve Rothery, the heart of both Marillion eras, the amazing guitarist whos passionate playing is practically unmatched (get Misplaced and Clutching and you'll hear what I mean).
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Because the buying department bases what they carry on the demand. Since the majority of buying hordes have crappy taste in music they have a better selection than those of us who's musical tastes are more refined. Of course Best Buy over the years have gotten or are getting just as bad.

The Aska in question is the only Aska I know of. Still amazes me that they come from this area because Texas is mostly known for country music, The Houston bands (a city that is 6-8 hours away from here), and Pantera. Although King Diamond and Dennis Ward (PC69/Khymera) live in Dallas they aren't origionally from here.

Marillion has two phases. The Fish era and the Hogarth era and except for the first couple of H albums are different (and even the H era has two phases). The two I mentioned are from the Fish era and it is the most popular one (and most progressive-the later Marillion is more progressive pop). As I said, I have almost have all the Fish stuff. As far as the H stuff I only have Seasons End (which is the closest the H era comes to the Fish era), This Strange Engine (an unusual album but one I've grown to love), and marillion.com (which is a poppy prog but the music is very good). Of course the most striking feature of Marillion is Steve Rothery, the heart of both Marillion eras, the amazing guitarist whos passionate playing is practically unmatched (get Misplaced and Clutching and you'll hear what I mean).

I got Misplaced and Clutching already in between postings. Just have to listen to them.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 4:37 pm

bgast1 wrote:
I got Misplaced and Clutching already in between postings. Just have to listen to them.

I don't think you'll be disapointed, Sugar Mice and Childhood's End are worth the two CDs alone IMO. Let me know what you think in the Marillion thread (all you have to do is search Marillion) once you've had a chance to hear them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:18 pm

bgast1 wrote:
DallasBlack,

I got a couple I can unload on ya cheap.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 1:41 am

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
bgast1 wrote:
DallasBlack,

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Lmao
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 7:49 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:
bgast1 wrote:
DallasBlack,

Hmmm. I must be missing something. Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 108889
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 4:17 pm

bgast1 wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:
bgast1 wrote:
DallasBlack,

If I understood what Uncle Sax was indicating was that A) he either has too many Marillion discs and needs to move 'em B) the music isn't his cup of tea and needs to move 'em 3)the "unload on ya CHEAP" struck my funny bone HARD.... 4) I'm wrong about 1-2....

Blessings..... No ill intent intended.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:22 pm

A, B, 3, 4??

You don't compile lists often do you Mr. E39?

Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:00 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
bgast1 wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:
bgast1 wrote:
DallasBlack,

If I understood what Uncle Sax was indicating was that A) he either has too many Marillion discs and needs to move 'em B) the music isn't his cup of tea and needs to move 'em 3)the "unload on ya CHEAP" struck my funny bone HARD.... 4) I'm wrong about 1-2....

Blessings..... No ill intent intended.

I have been waiting for at least 3 days for Uncle Saxon to reply to PM explaining to me Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_biggrin Also with Uncle Sax you never know what his intentions are. One thing I am sure of either he or I will be singing the blues or razzing the other big time in the morning or maybe even tonight. Go Packers! Except one thing Sax has wrong is that you wil never ever catch me wearing one of them ridiculous foam rubber cheese heads.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:49 pm

Go Pack!

I never had anything against the Vikes but I'm sick to death of Diva Favre and his crying retirement speeches. I want him to get buried this year so he finally retires for real.

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 am

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Your team SUXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron Rodgers. What a joke. Average at best. Ya got no future. But, hey, look at it this way. You are still one game better than Detroit! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Stender wrote:
I got sideshows first comp a while ago, I will listen tonight and tommorow and try to fit a review in on thursday....sorry on the wait for your comps wayne and Ben!

Riiiiiiiiiiight Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_razz

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:40 pm

tohostudios wrote:
A, B, 3, 4??

You don't compile lists often do you Mr. E39?

erh ahh... gulp.... It was late??????

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Lol Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Lol Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Lol Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Lol Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Here's the two CDs that I sent to my partner. f someone else wants to try one of them it would be great.

Password is Locky

http://rapidshare.com/files/281515206/Comp_CD_1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/281520413/Comp_CD_2.rar
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Ok, should have posted this long ago, sorry I`m so slow Required Fields...

RF`s comp is packed with killer Metal from beginning to end, I have really enjoyed it!!

1. ARTILLERY - 10000 Devils
Still havent bought the new Artillery, but after hearing this i sure will!
Great song, and the new vocalist sounds great.

2. SHOCK PARIS - Caged Tiger
This band is new to me. Good song, will have to look for something from this band.

3. HELSTAR - Winds of War
For some strange reason i don`t own any Helstar albums, a shame because this sounds absolutely awesome!!
Great song, and Rivera rules!!!

4. ACRIDITY - Denied Right
Wow. more greatness from the Canadian Metal madman!
Great Thrash tune from a band i have never heard of.

5. HEATHEN - Empty Nothingness
This one i have in my collection.
Killer song from a band that should have been much bigger than they are..

6. ACCUSER - Symbol of Hate
Another band that has escaped me...
Thrashy and angry sounding Germans. Love it!!!!

7. LEATHER - The Battlefield of Life
Very good song from the lovely Leather.
Never heard her solo material but this makes me wanna hear more..

ARIA - Games Not For Us
Russian Metal is not something you hear everyday..
Not bad, but it sounds a bit dated.

9. TOKYO BLADE - Warrior of the Rising Sun
One of my favorite NWOBHM bands.
Thumbs up!!

10. SCANNER - From the Dust of Ages
Oh boy, another killer band that`s escaped me....
This is close to being my favorite song on the comp.
Brilliant!!!!!

11. CHASTAIN - The Voice of the Cult
Chastain rules and this is a great song choise!!

12. RAZOR - The Meaning of Pain
Full speed attack from Canada`s finest.
Perfect!

13. ANONYMUS - Ni Vu, Ni Connu
More from Canada, sung in French.
Takes some getting used to, but i really like it..

14. TORTURE SQUAD - Pandemonium
WOW... What a great ending to the Comp.
This one really blew me away, some of the vocals are on the Death side but still this is such a killer song. Cool.

Say what you will about Canadians, but this one really knows his Metal Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Headbang Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Headbang
Thanks Requiered Fields.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next