Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews

Go down 
+15
jstate
MetalGuy71
Shiney
Required Fields
kmorg
SAHB Healer
manny
tohostudios
sam
thejokeriv
mr.electric39
bgast1
A Handful of Wayne
Stender
SideShowDisaSter
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 pm

toho comp: installment 3

Krypteria- Sweet Revenge
It's called Symphonic Metal I guess, but this particular song is really an excellent pop song that adds (like the best Royal Hunt songs) metallic guitar and some classical elements (in this case operatic choir). The singer's voice is well suited.

Flies on Fire- Just Down the Road
Twenty years ago when this came out I might have foolishly slagged this for it's lack of creativity (based on this song anyway). Apparently lots of others felt this way too, because this sells for a penny on Amazon now. Well F**k innovation. This song might lack originality, but it has everything else. Gritty vocals, Foghat type leads, great piano commentary. It's a perfectly crafted take on a tried and true art form. I listen to 20 songs a day like this on my Ipod, and not many of them are nearly this good.

Diabalo Swing Orchestra- Wedding March for a Bullet
Counterpoint to the previous two songs. This song attempts Operatic Salsa Metal, and actually pulls it off believe it or not. The various elements come together pretty well. I actually enjoyed the song a little when I listened to it the second time, except that I just don't buy (here or anywhere) the use of a full Wagnerian Operetic Soprano in rythmic and popular forms of music. Her voice just overwhelms the song. It's impressive but I just can't handle it.

The Dogma- She Falls On Her Grave
They've got two albums out, which are gonna cost me $40. This is an Italian symphonic metal band, fronted by an extremely familiar sounding and awesome set of pipes (Toho says he reminds of Geoff Tate, but I thought it was Andy B. Franck at first). This song rules.

The Wildhearts- Only One Hell
A more typical song by the unpredictable and mighty masters of Power Pop. I have six of their albums, but not this one. It's sounds more like their early stuff. What a great band.

Sonata Arctica- Still Loving You
You never know about cover versions. Of course this was hard to stomach after hearing the original 1000 times. But really, on second listen (I tried to imagine it was just another song on the oddball Unia album); I probably would enjoy it if I'd never heard it before. I see where toho is coming from here.

Oysterband- By Northern Light
Pass...This band was a favorite of some of my friends, I've been a tag along to concerts and such on that basis. I've never gotten invested in them myself. An excellent and seminal Celtic Rock band that I would probably choose to like if I ever got in that mood.

This was actually disc two from toho, but I'm glad I reviewed it first by mistake as I found everything on the disc either likeable or interesting. I'll take a little break I'll cover the highlights of the other disc in a week or so. Some of those songs demand comment (Urban Breed, D.C. Cooper!).
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 12:55 pm

This is my review for the compilation that thejokeriv did for me. We agreed in advance to limit the compilation to 40 titles and used megaupload to exchange the mp3s.

01. Dream Theater - Invaders
This is a cool Maiden cover from Dream Theater. It starts with the intro of the Number of the beast. I like most covers versions that Dream Theater did, so also this one. Good start for the compilation.

02. Sacred Warrior - No Happy Endings
I nerver heard this band before. It is very melodic with great vocals. I like it. The first band that I would like to listen to more stuff.

03. Astral Doors - New Revelation
Astral Doors is a great band. I saw them some years ago live as support for Blind Guardian. The vocals of Patrik Johanssen is the unmistakable trademark of the band.

04. Rob Rock - Slayer Of Souls
Another great Metal voice. Rough and precise guitar riffs, excellent hammering durms and the tremendous vocals from Rob Rock.

05. Trouble - The Tempter
I don't listen to much Doom Metal besides Black Sabbath and Candlemass. But this one is good. Typical guitars and good vocals.

06. The Sword - Lament For The Aurochs
This one is ok, I like it. But it doesn't make me entusiastic. It reminds me to Black Sabbath with a little bit of Iron Maiden.

07. Believer - Unite
It took a while for me to get in the voacals. But then it is a good one. I like the Thrash influence and the furious riffs.

08. Falconer - Decadence Of Dignity
Finest Power Metal from Sweden. Always liked the original and unsmistakeable vocals of Mathias Blad and the nordic folk elements.

09. Mastedon - Oblivion
I saw this band two times live opening for Iron Maiden and for Metallica. I never thought that they are bad, but I some issues with the vocals. Same thing happened after listening to this compilation the first time. But after a
few listens I think I changed my mind. The vocals reminds me a little bit to Ozzy.

10. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of
No. Sorry, but this is one of the bands that doesn't work for me. Skip!

11. The Offspring - The Kids Aren't alright
The Offspring is a band that I can listen to, but never would by an album. This Punk Rock is ok and also enjoyable, but gets also boring after a while.

12. bride - Live To Die
The production sounds like from the 80s!? I don't know this band, but I like the vocals and the riffs.

13. Therapy? - Screamager
Is Therapy? Metal or Punk or Indie or Alternative? I think is a little bit of everything and nothing. The hooks are good in this song, but they never convinced me.

14. Therapy? - Hellbelly
This title is a bit heavier that the predecessor and therefore better. But my overall opinion remains the same.

15. Fates Warning - Silent Cries
Great! Something that I like, a classic one.

16. Spock's Beard - At The End Of The Day
This is again a new introduction to a band for me. Very good Progressive Rock. I like this 16 minutes title that conains great melodies, harder sections and lot of variety. It's a Prog rollercoaster trip!

17. Symphony X - Evolution
This is exactly how I like this band. Progressive with excellent vocals from Russell Allen.

18. Fates Warning - Through Different Eyes
The next one in the progressive corner, again Fates Warning. Great! Very catchy lyrics, divinely guitar playing, sensitive vocals and shellproved rhytm work.

19. Sebastian Bach - You Don't Understand
Good song from an up to date album. I own Angel Down and I like that its more modern and that he did not the same what he did in the 80s with Skid Row. It is not better but it was released in 2007 and sounded like an album from 2007.

20. Night Ranger - (You Can Still) Rock In America
In the 80s I had a girl friend who was a big Night Ranger fan. For me it is good mainstream Hard Rock. Nothing more and nothing less.

21. Joshua - Only Yesterday
Very posished AOR with very good vocals.

22. The Donnas - Like An Animal
Joan Jett meets Girlschool. I was always a Girlschool fan and therefore this is also my taste.

23. King's X - Fall On Me
Gently melodies and powerful Heavy-riffs. It's fun to listen to this good Hard Rock title.

24. Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction
Punk Rock with mainstream melodies. Ok, nothing more.

25. Funky Demons - We All Bleed
Starts very slowly but turns then into a good rocker.

26. Bloodgood - Alone In Suicide
This is a very well done power ballard. I never heard this band before, but I like this 80s style.

27. Stone Gods - Knight Of The Living Dead
This one rocks and makes fun listening. I like the vocals. Never heard this band before, but I have to explore more of their stuff.

28. Ugly Kid Joe - Everything About You
This was a radio hit. I remember when "America's least wanted" came out it was recommended to me by my brother. It remained the only album that I have from this band.

29. Galactic Cowboys - If I Were A Killer
I like the thrashy riffs of this brachial title. It is not a killer, but a good listen.

30. Dead Kennedys - Holiday In Cambodia
This is a kind of Punk music that I like. I never listened to the Dead Kennedys but I should try more of them.

31. Slayer - Inna Gadda Davida
An interessting interpretation from In A Gadda Da Vida. Slayer covering Iron Butterfly - cool. This version is only 3:18 minutes instead of the more than 17 minutes long original.

32. Exciter - Violence & Force
A classic Thrash hammer with full speed. Haven't heard this for years. Cool!

33. Bullet For My Valentine - Disappear
Bullet for My Valentine is one of those bands that I can listen, but they never could persuade me. They are doing a kind of Metalcore enriched with Emosounds and clear vocals.

34. Chickenfoot - Get It Up
Solid Rock song. Is that Sammy Hagar? Ok, the chorus can get on my nerves but nevertheless it is a solid one.

35. Haven - The Witching Hour
Not bad. I like the guitars and the vocals. I never heard of this band before...

36. Hammerfall - No Sacrifice, No Victory
Very good song from a very good Hammerfall album.

37. Recon - Behind Enemy Lines
Excellent Power Metal. The sound reminds again to the 80s. Need to get more of this band. From which album is this song? Can you give me additional infos to this band?

38. Barren Cross - Living Dead
Again another band that I'm not familiar with. But that is good Metal that I like.

39. Live - White, Discussion
I'm unsure about this. It remindes me a little bit R.E.M. This song is good but I wonder how a whole album of this band would be.

40. Deliverance - Awake
This title starts with a strange intro, but then it gest very good! A very cool Thrash song finishes the compilation in an excellent way.

Summary: tejokeriv did a very good job in putting this compilation together. Around half of the bands I wasn't familiar with. The compilation was versatile and had different styles that were good grouped thogether. I found a lot of bands that I will explore a little bit deeper in future and there was only one stinker. My highlights on the compilation: Exciter, Recon, Rob Rock, Symphony X, Deliverance, Astral Doors, Fates Warning, Stone Gods, Hammerfall and Barren Cross.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I listened to Olafsto's comp.

1. Artch - Burn Down the Bridges
Very cool song.

2. Communic - Under a Luminous Sky
This is my first time hearing this band, and I am impressed. I should look into more of their stuff.

3. Contraband - All the Way to Memphis
Not really my bag at all.

4. Faith or Fear - C.D.S.
Not bad!

5. Freak of Nature - Turn the Other Way
Didn't care.

6. Witchhammer - Enola merry
Very fast, solid stuff.

7. Ian Gillan - A Day Late and a Dollar Short
Not bad by any means, although I prefer Gillan as the vocalist in DP.

8. Vindicator - The Dog Beneath the Skin
Solid stuff!

9. Gotthard - Master of Illusion
Didn't really care for this one, either.

10. Hirax - Assassins of War
Thumbs up!

11. Girlschool - Take it All Away
Didn't really care.

12. Avenger of Blood - Death Brigade
Believe it or not, my first time hearing this band. Intense stuff.

13. Blacklace - Damn Cheater
The weakest track here, easily. Thumbs down.

14. Suspended - Thrashing the Masses
Very cool song! One of the best here, most definitely!

15. Lion's Share - Cult of Denial
This is my first time hearing this band. A band I had heard OF for the longest time, but never really HEARD. Good song!

16. Hatred - Resurrection
Pretty good stuff!!!

17. Lich King - Black Metal Sucks
Amusing song! I dug it quite a bit.

Overall, I liked the compilation! Thanks!

Glad you liked most of it RF Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Headbang

Got your comp Saturday. Will listen to it and review it soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks Ghost!!! I should have my review up tonight - a lot of bands I haven't heard before and some I want to buy! See comments below to answer your questions:

ghost wrote:
This is my review for the compilation that thejokeriv did for me. We agreed in advance to limit the compilation to 40 titles and used megaupload to exchange the mp3s.

[

12. bride - Live To Die
The production sounds like from the 80s!? I don't know this band, but I like the vocals and the riffs.

Bride's song is from the 80's - there are some Bride fans from on this board. This song is from my favorite Bride album, Live To Die. If you buy any Bride, get some advice on this board because they tend to change styles from album to album
[

25. Funky Demons - We All Bleed
Starts very slowly but turns then into a good rocker.

This was my Brother's band - he sings and plays acoustic guitar. They are no longer around. This was from their 2nd demo,

27. Stone Gods - Knight Of The Living Dead
This one rocks and makes fun listening. I like the vocals. Never heard this band before, but I have to explore more of their stuff.

[.
It's a great album - they only gave one album out. The band is what is left of the Darkness after Justin left. They added a new Bass player and the bass player from The Darkness is singing. Same guitarist and drummer, so basically The Darkness with out Justin.

34. Chickenfoot - Get It Up
Solid Rock song. Is that Sammy Hagar? Ok, the chorus can get on my nerves but nevertheless it is a solid one.

Yep! And Michael Anthony, Joe Satarini and Chad (can;t remember his last name) from RHCP

37. Recon - Behind Enemy Lines
Excellent Power Metal. The sound reminds again to the 80s. Need to get more of this band. From which album is this song? Can you give me additional infos to this band?

Only album they ever did! and a GREAT one! You will find alot of fans of this one on the board.

39. Live - White, Discussion
I'm unsure about this. It remindes me a little bit R.E.M. This song is good but I wonder how a whole album of this band would be.

If you like this song, you would like the album it comes from, Throwing Copper. My favorite Live album - very similar style on the whole album. Some out and out rockers and borderline Metal songs, and the rest slow intor to power chords.

Summary: tejokeriv did a very good job in putting this compilation together. Around half of the bands I wasn't familiar with. The compilation was versatile and had different styles that were good grouped thogether. I found a lot of bands that I will explore a little bit deeper in future and there was only one stinker. My highlights on the compilation: Exciter, Recon, Rob Rock, Symphony X, Deliverance, Astral Doors, Fates Warning, Stone Gods, Hammerfall and Barren Cross.

Thanks!!!! I really liked how the Megauploaded worked out!!!!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:30 pm

As Ghost mentioned, we did the “soft copy” of the playlist, using Megaupload and limiting the playlist to 40 tracks. It worked out GREAT and I would do that type of compswap again.

01 - Wolf - I Will Kill Again
I liked this song! Great way to start off the comp with a good metal song!!!! I will have to check this band out!!!

02 - Stigmatized - Obedience Throug Ignorance
Starts off with a good riff, I’m not a fan of cookie monster vocals….

03 - Ensiferum - Victory Song
Interesting songs – starts off as a celtic song, the electric guitars kick in keeping the celtic influence, then cookie monter-lite lead vocals….. good chorus, but not a fan of the singer. I would have to listen to more to see if the singer grows on me….

04 - Wolfpack Unleashed - Killing Fields
The music is AWESOME, but I didn’t like the vocals – I wonder if the vocals would grow on me through time….

05 - Wuthering Heights - The Raven
The intro of the song reminded of the middle section of “Stonehedge” by Spinal Tap. Once I was able to get past the Spinal Tap-ish moments, I liked the song!!!!!

06 - Mob Rules - Day And A Lifetime
Euro power metal. I liked this one! I would check out more by this band!!!

07 - Black Abyss – Rebellion
Decent song – I would check more out from this band too!!

08 - Voice Of Destruction - J.M.S.P
OK song – I wasn’t a big fan of the vocals

09 - Chinchilla - Our Destiny
The name of band made me laugh. Euro Power Metal. I would check out more from this band.

10 - Kissin' Dynamite - Out In The Rain
I really liked the music to this song!!! Took me time to get used to the vocals though….. Maybe worth checking out more of this band.

11 - Rebellion – Sweden
More Euro-power metal and I like it!!!!! Another band to add to my want list.

12 - October 13 - Just An Illusion
Yep, Euro power metal again and I like it!!!!!! Add this one to the list of bands to check out.

13 - Ride The Sky - New Protection
I am beginning to think that Ghost is a HUGE fan of European power metal, and I am realizing that I like a lot of it too!!!! Add this band to my list.

14 - Nasty Savage - Psycho Psycho
Florida trash from Nasty Savage. It’s OK, but I have heard better.

15 - Karkadan - Passing Away
Cookie monster vocals again…….. I like the music!!!!

16 - Iron Savior - Battering Ram
More Euro power metal and I like it!!!! This band is on my want list!!! One of my favorite songs on the comp!!!

17 - Moonspell – Vampiria
I am always happy to check out new music!!! This I would call Goth Metal. Interesting, but I didn’t like the vocals.

18 - Pathosray - Faded Crystals
Progressive metal and I like it!!!! They sound influenced by Fates Warning/Dream Theater. This is a must buy for me!!!

19 - Skew Siskin - Eva Braun Is Back In Town
Euro Metal with some punk/Motorhead influences. Not bad, I would need to hear more before I add to a want list. I thought Eva Braun was buried in Argentina next to Hitler though Wink

20 - Morgana Lefay - To Isengard
Interesting – I liked it!!! Reminded me of a heavier version of Savatage with different vocals.

21 - Holy Moses - Delusional Denial
Thrash metal – almost cookie monster-ish vocals, but they work with the music.

22 - Tyr - Hold The Heathen Hammer High
I have head this band’s but never heard anything by them but I am glad they were included on the comp. Seems to have some folk influences. I would check out more from this band.

23 - Maroon - A New Order

Thrash metal and the vocals work with this band. They aren’t Scott Waters, but not bad!
24 - Enola merry - Eleanor Rigby
Interesting cover of a Beatles song

25 - Judas Priest – Tyrant
Classic track from a classic Priest album – great song!!!!!

26 - Seven Witches - Dishonor Killings
Hmmm….. I sort of like this one. I need to hear more from this band to decide if I like them.

27 - Cryonic Temple - Mercenaries Of Metal (The Quest Pt. I)
More power metal and I like it!!!!!! I need to get this one!!!

28 - Zonaria - At War With The Inferior
Nah – cookie monster vocals. Not my style of music – death metal.

29 - Iron Maiden - The Clairvoyant
Awesome song from one of my favorite bands of all time!!!! Great track!!!!!

30 - Zonata - Divided We Stand
More power metal!!! I like it and will be adding this one to my list of wants!!!

31 - Cripper - Break Out
More thrash with cookie monster-lite vocals. It almost sounds like the singer is female – can you confirm Ghost?

32 - Elvenking - The Wanderer (Acoustic Version)
Interesting song – Celtic and folk influences in this song. Since this is the acoustic version, I would like to hear more from this band.

33 - Job For A Cowboy - Bearing The Serpents Lamb
So this is what Job For A Cowboy sounds like, I have wondered. I didn’t like this one.

34 - Kingdom Come – Janine
80’s band Kingdom Come, I hadn’t heard them in years! I remember at the time they were accused of being Led Zepplin clones, but I would disagree. The singer does sound a little like Robert Plant.

35 - Hysterica – Halloween
Good female fronted euro power metal! I like it!

36 - Sabaton - Ghost Division
Another one I like!!!! I continued to be schooled in European Power Metal! I will be buying this band!

37 - Gamma Ray -Anywhere In The Galaxy
Another favorite on the comp and another must buy for me!!! Reminds me of Helloween – EXCELLENT song, my favorite on the comp!

38 - Rob Rock - Eyes Of Eternity
An AWESOME song from Rob Rock – he has an AWESOME voice!!!!

39 - Kreator - To The Afterborn
Good song from long time German thrash metal Kreator.

40 - Lemmy, Slim Jim & Danny B - Big River
Nice way to close out the comp with The Head Cats’s rockabilly cover of Big River. I had read about this band and I wanted to check them out – I am glad I did! This would be a nice add to my collection.

Overall, a GREAT comp! Many thanks to Ghost for schooling me in European Power Metal with a number of bands I hadn’t heard! I have more bands to add to my want list!
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 3:31 am

Very good review, thejokeriv. Please find my comments below.

thejokeriv wrote:
10 - Kissin' Dynamite - Out In The Rain
I really liked the music to this song!!! Took me time to get used to the vocals though….. Maybe worth checking out more of this band.
The members of this band are all between 17 and 19 years old. They have only one album out called "Steel of Swabia".

thejokeriv wrote:
11 - Rebellion – Sweden
More Euro-power metal and I like it!!!!! Another band to add to my want list.
The band of Uwe Lulis and Tomi Göttlich (former Grave Digger members)

thejokeriv wrote:
19 - Skew Siskin - Eva Braun Is Back In Town
Euro Metal with some punk/Motorhead influences. Not bad, I would need to hear more before I add to a want list. I thought Eva Braun was buried in Argentina next to Hitler though Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_wink
It is a political song against Nazis. It's warns of looking away and stultification.

thejokeriv wrote:
31 - Cripper - Break Out
More thrash with cookie monster-lite vocals. It almost sounds like the singer is female – can you confirm Ghost?
Yes, female vocals. They have only one full length album so far called "Freak Inside"
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 8:11 am

Battering Ram is my favorite Iron Savior album and that whole Sabaton album "The Art Of War" freakin' rules!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks Ghost!!!! A Great comp with lots of new bands for me to check out!!!!

Forgot to mention, on the Joshua song, Rob Rock is the singer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks for the review jstate!

Man, seems everyone is good at this but me! But here goes:

jstates comp ONE-

1-HEXEN - No More Color
Nice start to a killer thrash comp. I don't know if I have heard this band - or know anything about them. Are they old? Are they new? Old school sound with new school production. ME LIKEY!!

2-BELIEVER - Focused Lathality
One of the thrashier [ie: "better"] tracks on the newest Believer. Not as much technical experimentation as they usually dive into. And that is just fine by me!

3-DEVASTATOR - March of the Wicked
My fav tune on this comp. ABSOLUTELY KILLS! Starts off with a sweeet riff then the perfect tempo double bass. You can feel is build through the first verse, then BAM! MARCH - MARCH - MARCH OF THE WICKED!!!! The mosh breaks are insane. I got a one-man pit in my office started during this one! This band rules!

4-WARBRINGER - Scorched Earth
More new old-school moshing. This is how I like my potatoes - MOSHED! ahh, that was dumb....

5-HEADHUNTER - Backs to the Wall
Just how I like my bagels - SCHMIER-ED! No, seriously - I love the Headhunter albums better than ANYTHING Destruction did in the 90's. And this is a great example.

6-PITIFUL REIGN - In The Pit
Old School! Love the new crop of thrash. Stuff like this gives me hope for music in the future. Hope I have not had in 15 years or so. Now they need to get a new album out!

7- LETHAL AGGRESSION- Circle Pit of Life
I couldn't believe when I saw this track. jstate impressed the hell outta me by even knowing of this band! I had a friend that had a 7" of thiers. Some uninvited skins showed up to a kegger we were having at the flophouse. I remember him saying that he was gonna play it at the "right time" that night. I had idea what he meant. Anyways, he put it on the turntable, picked MY board and smashed the biggest nazi in the face with it!! I had dried blood on there for a couple of weeks! The house got completely trashed that night. Anyways, great crossover from the golden years!

8-HADES - Brainwashed
Lovely old school metal. Unfortunately, un-lovely old school production. Still, this tune brings me back to the days of skateboarding uptown with my boombox and irritating absolutely anyone that had the misfortune of coming within earshot.

9-ACID REIGN - You Are Your Enemy
Cool drum groove. Gallopping riffs. Is the UK Acid Reign? Sound like it probably is. Very speedy and tight. Great track!!

10-PHANTASM - Blind Leading the Blind
Phantasm was a thrash "supergroup", of sorts [McGovney/Hoglan/de Pena]. This really could've passed for an early Hirax album. I hear this and expect to hear Katon screaming "BOMBS OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!" any second. Katon de Pena is a gift from God, and for that I thank Him.

11-WARFARE - Living for the Last Days
Kinda generic Motorhead-ish/Tank-ish mid-80's UK metal. But I could listen to it all day for some reason. These were the bands I craved as a kid when Bon Jovi was thrust at me from every side.

12-EXECUTIONER - Walk All Over You
A live AC/DC cover and one that has not been over-done, like many. Love when bands give props to thier influences - especially when it is not in the style that they usually play. They speed up the break and the guitarist just shreds Angus' solo! Cool attempt!

Awesome comp that I would've been proud if I'd had made it myself!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 am

MOSHED POTATOES! Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Lmao

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:47 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
10.- Novembers Doom – Into Night’s Requiem Infernal … Musically very heavy duty doom… An atmospheric feel that really intrigues me, then I read the lyrics and was disappointed. Oh well can’t win ‘em all.

I understand you on that one. I actually own the album this comes from and was deeply saddened by the lyrics (had I know I probably wouldn't have gotten it). I had some previous stuff from them and didn't notice any anti-Christian sentiment from them. It seems like someone very close to him hurt him in the name of Christ after looking further into the lyrics (he doesn't attack Christians as a group but seems to be focused on one particular person). However, if you liked that song enough, I'd suggest Pale Haunt Departure which contains none of the hate that Into Night's Requiem Infernal has but is musically similar (the ballad Autumn Reflections is worth the entire CD alone).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 5:48 pm

I have a downloaded version of Bgast's comp. and will listen to it and post a review probably Thursday or this weekend (I have a test to prepare for at this time, otherwise I'd do it sooner).
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:02 pm

I got sideshows first comp a while ago, I will listen tonight and tommorow and try to fit a review in on thursday....sorry on the wait for your comps wayne and Ben!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
10.- Novembers Doom – Into Night’s Requiem Infernal … Musically very heavy duty doom… An atmospheric feel that really intrigues me, then I read the lyrics and was disappointed. Oh well can’t win ‘em all.

I understand you on that one. I actually own the album this comes from and was deeply saddened by the lyrics (had I know I probably wouldn't have gotten it). I had some previous stuff from them and didn't notice any anti-Christian sentiment from them. It seems like someone very close to him hurt him in the name of Christ after looking further into the lyrics (he doesn't attack Christians as a group but seems to be focused on one particular person). However, if you liked that song enough, I'd suggest Pale Haunt Departure which contains none of the hate that Into Night's Requiem Infernal has but is musically similar (the ballad Autumn Reflections is worth the entire CD alone).

wow, I never connected the lyrics with anti-Christian themes, my bad dude. Rereading them I see it now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 5:39 am

Stender wrote:
I got sideshows first comp a while ago, I will listen tonight and tommorow and try to fit a review in on thursday....sorry on the wait for your comps wayne and Ben!

Not a problem dude. I've still got to upload some more for you. Will do another this weekend for you.

Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 7:00 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I have a downloaded version of Bgast's comp. and will listen to it and post a review probably Thursday or this weekend (I have a test to prepare for at this time, otherwise I'd do it sooner).

let me know if it didn't turn out. I've been having a few computer issues, I will also get a review up for your two discs.

By the way, my comp to DallasBlack is all '60's early '70's mostly psychedelic stuff. If anyone would like to listen to it, let me know and I'll provide you with a link to download it.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:05 pm

sam wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

wow, I never connected the lyrics with anti-Christian themes, my bad dude. Rereading them I see it now.

Sam don't trip on it! If you're not looking for it initially you probably wouldn't see it.

At times I've been a little too sensitive to those things which is why there are probably less CD's in my collection then there could be... which isn't neccessarily a bad thing! Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Lol

I picked up Halford's "Resurrection" disc and it SMOKES !!!! I'm locked and loaded....!

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 877540
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:07 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

I might just do that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Wow....I just took about an hour to write up Bens comp of 16 tracks and when I hit the send button, it asked me to sign in again. When I did that it brought me to the HOM homepage...losing all my work.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 1:19 pm

bgast1 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

let me know if it didn't turn out. I've been having a few computer issues, I will also get a review up for your two discs.

By the way, my comp to DallasBlack is all '60's early '70's mostly psychedelic stuff. If anyone would like to listen to it, let me know and I'll provide you with a link to download it.

It downloaded OK so I think it'd be all right. I'm putting it on tonight's playlist and will review it sometime tomorrow (maybe the afternoon if I'm not too tired).
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Stender wrote:
Wow....I just took about an hour to write up Bens comp of 16 tracks and when I hit the send button, it asked me to sign in again. When I did that it brought me to the HOM homepage...losing all my work.

That's why I always type up reviews and such in Word (or a similar program). Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_razz

The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:48 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Stender wrote:

That's why I always type up reviews and such in Word (or a similar program). Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_razz

ugh...I'll have fun rewriting that after church tommorow than.....
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:29 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
[
Sam don't trip on it! If you're not looking for it initially you probably wouldn't see it.

At times I've been a little too sensitive to those things which is why there are probably less CD's in my collection then there could be... which isn't neccessarily a bad thing! Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Lol

I picked up Halford's "Resurrection" disc and it SMOKES !!!! I'm locked and loaded....!

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 877540

okay cool, Grab the second disc by them: Crucible, it rocks just as hard!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Bgast Comp (normally I'd rate songs but since I'm not too familliar with Phsychadelic music I don't know how I would rate some of them (so anyhting not rated will be marked with a + or - depending on wheter I like the it or not):

Cheech & Chong-Earache: Funny comedy song that actually rocks pretty hard and has a cool riff. This particlar song is sung by Cheech. At the end there is a sketch with Chong as rebellious teenager and Cheech as his father. Music: 10/10 Comedy 8/10

Cheech & Chong-Les Morpions: A comedy routine about a canadian interview with a Logger crab. Funny as hell Canadian accents with comedy misunderstandings (Eh!? Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Lmao -the only way to get the comedy of this is to hear it yourself). 10/10

Iron Butterfly-In A Gadda Da Vita: Like everybody alive I have heard this song on the radio many times. Of course that song is cut heavily and is actually 18+ minutes (something I did not know about). This of course has one of the most reconizable and memorable riffs in rock history. This gets a little old after awhile and the vocalist sings a bit off key in places but it is more than made up by an cool keyboard solo and an awesome guitar solo. Not bad for a song that was origionally a sound check. +

Deep Purple-Smoke On The Water: What can be said about this song that hasn't been said. A pure classic with one of the most recongizable riffs ever. Interesting note: I knew someone who actually thought this was called Slow Moving Water and when I tried to correct him, he insisted he was right. 10/10

Pink Floyd-Echos: Only being familiar with Dark Side and The Wall, this was a song I was not at all familiar with. Opens with a sonar sound before the guitar slowly sets in sounding like a whale's cry. A slow, very melodic song and not unlike PF I'm familiar with. Slow hypnotic vocals and infectious music. Great guitar solos throughout this song too. Picks up toward the middle but never fully reaching complet rock out. It then slows up even more and you're left with ambient echos ala whale cries and wind blowing sounds. Very peaceful sounding and would be good music to nap to (to bad I was at work at the time). Toward the end it picks back up a little more to where it was before the middle and kind of goes back to where it started before ending.+

Pink Floyd-Careful With That Axe, Eugene: Starts off slow with light drum playing and ambient keyboard & guitar sounds. Almost half way through you hear a screeching noise and the music picks up to abient keyboards, nice guitar solos and heavier drumming. The song then slows back down and ends the way it begun.+

The Doors-The End: Not familiar with most of The Doors music so this is another new one for me. Pleasant meldoy and very mellow sounding music (something I knew about this band). Picks up toward the end and goes a little crazy befoe slowing down and ending.+

Black Sabbath-s/t: Because it was the first version I heard and this one at first didn't sound all that great (Ozzy's voice was not what I was familiar with at the time), I used to prefer the Type O Negative version. Now I like both versions in different ways (I like the TON darness but the origional has awesome guitar solos from the origional metal God). What makes me like this song now is I listen to it through the ears of someone who heard this when it came out. I could't imagine how evil and creepy this was to you guys because there was nothing like it before it. I even have grown to appreciate Ozzy's whinny voice which fits perfectly especially when he yells out 'No' (sounds like he's genuinely scarred). 10/10

Vanilla Fudge-Season Of The Which: Opens with a nice slightly creepy organ opening before the drums kick in followed by the vocals. The guitar becomes more prominent right before the chorus opens. Some great drumming in this and some even sounds like double bass. I really like the sound of these guys and the vocalist. Kick ass guitar solo too! 10/10

Pink Floyd-Comfortably Numb: One of my favorite songs of all time. The beatuiful melody and great vocals stick in my head like glue (in a good way). I especially love to sing to this song and I sure did (doing it now while reviewing this comp). One of my favorite guitar solos too (my air guitar is on automatic when I hear it). 11/10

Bloodrock-D.O.A.: Never heard of these guys before but I sure like them. Opens up with a creepy keyboard intro (the kind you found in horror movies of the 60s). Erupts with bass and organ soon vocals. It then slows down after some siren sounds. Then picks up slightly with vocals and the creepy keyboards and starts to errupt then more siren sounds and it's slow again. The vocals come in again just like the last time and this time errupts completly this time. It kind of teeter totters between the two with more siren sounds. This stops and the drums start picking up as do the guitars until it slows again. It again errupts and an awesome guitar solo finally lets loose and then slows and ends. 10/10

Moody Blues-Have You Heard I/The Voyage/Have You Heard II: I am very familiar with the moody blues and though I have rarely listened to this song I am familiar with it (at least the first part). Starts off with spoken words by Justin Hayward and goes into a short and sweet song that is very melodic as MB always are. The second part is very symphonic and while is a very pleasant side of the Blues, not a side I listen to on a regular basis. I do like the piano solo at the end of it. The third part continues with the other half of the first part and fades away into ambient wind. +

An intersting journey of Psychadelic rock and like Bgast told me, best when heard in order. This was quite a comp and while I had difficulty in doing a review it was a fun listen. Many of the songs (+) are ones that I wouldn't listen to on a regular basis but would be good listening while reading or taking a nap (since I don't smoke funny cigarettes Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_biggrin ). I will vigorously seek out Vanilla Fudge and Bloodrock and it they don't cost too much, Iron Butterfly, The Doors, Pink Floyd, and Cheech & Chong.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for the review Dallas. Just so you know Bloodrock is mostly a rock n roll band. They never really made it too big. When I saw them, they played with Grand Funk Railroad. They never really made it big, but were hard rock. D.O.A. is about the only radio hit that I remember, and not exactly characteristic of their other stuff. Nevertheless, I like them and own most of their albums. I don't even listen to the songs on that comp on a regular basis. I actually have been putting this comp together for nearly 3 years. It was supposed to be something I was doing for Uncle Saxon, right after comp. #1.

I was kind of hesitant to put on the comedy routines, but couldn't help myself with the travels of Buster the body crab. I laugh hard every time I hear that one, the other one I figured dads and kids could all relate to.

I'm not sure that Iron Butterfly's stuff is all that good. I just like the long version on In-A-The-Gadda-Da-Vida. I love all of Pink Floyd's stuff. I would have put the Door's When the Music's Over on the comp but it wasn't in keeping with the theme I was trying to develop.

By the way, Black Sabbath in that day was considered almost too heavy. I can't recall anything much heavier in that day, but they took off big time when Paranoid came out. Jethro Tull was pretty heavy back then as well. I remember that I was searching for just about anything that guitar solo's back then. I gravitated mostly to Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Genesis... anything progressive. Oh, by the way, no comp of mine will ever be without some version of Smoke On the Water.

By the way, I really like your comp. I am not a very good reviewer, though. I will still get something up after I listen to each tune individually again and try to write something.

Last edited by bgast1 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next