Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews

Go down 
+15
jstate
MetalGuy71
Shiney
Required Fields
kmorg
SAHB Healer
manny
tohostudios
sam
thejokeriv
mr.electric39
bgast1
A Handful of Wayne
Stender
SideShowDisaSter
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:11 pm

toho comp, disc one. I'll follow Toho's lead and do these in increments, although I have the advantage of a longer commute:

1. Shadow Gallery-War For Sale
I could tell this was SG right away! One of ht e best melodic prog metal bands of the past 15 years. I even like thier s/t album, which isn't really metal.
2. The 69 Eyes- Los Angeles
Pure Goth in the tradition that runs from The Sisters of Mercy to HIM. This is one of the better songs of that ilk.
3. The Poodles- Seven Seas
Anthemic melodic metal in the classic euro style, from 2008.
4. Swimming Pool Q's- Now I'm Talkin' Bout Now
This is interesting stuff. This song I'd call melodic progressive art rock or something. The keyboards dominate and remind me a lot of Saracen; but the vocalist sounds kinda like Christine McVie on this song. Strange stuff, I really like it. I have to check them out further to get a better idea of what they were about. Toho calls them Alternative.
5. Lynam- Enemy
Thanks for the chance to plug my favorite current Modern Rock band. These guys from Birmingham Ala seamlessly blend R & R, Glam, and other styles into their modern rock package. I like every song they have ever done.
6. The Last Vegas- Loose Lips
Sleaze Rock & Roll. The vocalist has one of those eccentric voices that add a power pop or glam feeling to the music. A classic sound from a new band.

I'm looking forward to my next commute now!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:21 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
toho comp, disc one. I'll follow Toho's lead and do these in increments, although I have the advantage of a longer commute:

1. Shadow Gallery-War For Sale
I could tell this was SG right away! One of ht e best melodic prog metal bands of the past 15 years. I even like thier s/t album, which isn't really metal.
2. The 69 Eyes- Los Angeles
Pure Goth in the tradition that runs from The Sisters of Mercy to HIM. This is one of the better songs of that ilk.
3. The Poodles- Seven Seas
Anthemic melodic metal in the classic euro style, from 2008.
4. Swimming Pool Q's- Now I'm Talkin' Bout Now
This is interesting stuff. This song I'd call melodic progressive art rock or something. The keyboards dominate and remind me a lot of Saracen; but the vocalist sounds kinda like Christine McVie on this song. Strange stuff, I really like it. I have to check them out further to get a better idea of what they were about. Toho calls them Alternative.
5. Lynam- Enemy
Thanks for the chance to plug my favorite current Modern Rock band. These guys from Birmingham Ala seamlessly blend R & R, Glam, and other styles into their modern rock package. I like every song they have ever done.
6. The Last Vegas- Loose Lips
Sleaze Rock & Roll. The vocalist has one of those eccentric voices that add a power pop or glam feeling to the music. A classic sound from a new band.

I'm looking forward to my next commute now!

I've actually finished listening to the first comp you sent me but I want to give some of the songs a second spin before I review them. Some stuff I liked right away and some other stuff was so out there that I need to spin them again (Especially Pink Fairies and Heavy Metal Kids).

BTW, is the New England song you included on here by the same band that gave us the top 40 hit "Don't Ever Wanna Lose You"? It sounds like it could be but this song must be off their second album because I played the crap outta the first one and I don't remember this song.

Also, good luck finding any good Swimming Pool Qs albums. They're still going but I don't like their output now. The album that song was on ("Blue Tomorrow") was one of my holy grail CDs for the past 20 years. I finally scored it off Ebay earlier this year for about $30. They have an S/T that's currently #1 on my Grail List but I don't even know if that one was ever even committed to CD.

One more thing, now that you mention it, you're right, Annie Boston does sound a lot like Christine McVie.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Yeah that's the same New England. I actually like thier albums "Exlporer Suite" and "Walking Wild" better than the s/t, as the are a little more adventurous.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:44 pm

sam wrote:

3. Sirens (Live) - Savatage - Eh, it's okay, I was never much of a Savatage fan. Jon Olivia's voice has always irritated me, the end just kind of seems to start back up and then go no where. Sounds like it was a good concert though.

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Sarcasti

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 337545 Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Angry Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 457229

You do know that this is a bannable offense?

Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 2:07 pm

kmorg wrote:
sam wrote:

3. Sirens (Live) - Savatage - Eh, it's okay, I was never much of a Savatage fan. Jon Olivia's voice has always irritated me, the end just kind of seems to start back up and then go no where. Sounds like it was a good concert though.

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 337545 Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Angry Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 457229

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Headbang Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Headbang Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Headbang Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Headbang Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Headbang Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Lmao Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Lmao Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Lmao Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 380235 Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 380235 Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 380235 Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 380235 I got my tickets to see TSO again this year. Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 457229
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 2:12 pm

kmorg wrote:
sam wrote:

I really liked the live version, the guitar sound is HUGE !
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:33 pm

toho disc one: continued

7. The Huntingtons- Tell Me Tonight
ok, you had me fooled. I really thought this was the Ramones on first listen, but it's actually The Huntingtons with "Cliffy Ramone" on guitar. Of course it's a good song.
8. Wig Wam- It's Hard to Be A Rock & Roller
I expected it to be a Sweet homage, but not really here. Toho says it's more like later Def Leppard. If that's the case maybe I shouldn't have written the Lepps off when I did, because I like this song. Sort of a spoken word verse, and a melodic chorus, good song!
9. To/Die/For- Live In You
A driving Goth song with nice piano commentary. Reminds me of The Mission gone metallic, or even more one of my favorite albums, Lake of Tears "Crimson Cosmos". One of the best songs on this comp.
10. Joanna Dean- Kiss This
Sleazy 80's R&R. I wasn't sure whether the singer was a girl or not when I first listened. I was comforting to realize that yes it is a woman doing a Joplin type thing.
11 Seven Nations- Ballad of Calvin Crozier
I like this a lot but I wouldn't have known what to call it. I would have called it "Swamp Alternative" with violin, but toho says it's "Celtic Rock". It's good whatever it's called anyway.
12. Sentenced- Drain Me
More Goth, this from the veteran Finnish darksiders. I like their early stuff best, but as time flies their influence on many bands become apparent. I'm surprised toho likes this because of the throaty vocals.
13. Radio Stars- Good Personality
I listened to this cold on the way to work, and I about went nuts trying to place it in my collection. "Is this a Buzzcocks song? I know this song". Luckily I was able to refer to toho's notes and realize that it's the Radio Stars. This off the "Songs For Swinging Lovers" LP. This album is pure 1977, seesawing between early Punk and late Glam. My favorite, the nearly metallic "Beast From Barnsley".
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:43 pm

I almost put Beast Of Barnsley on the comp instead.

I love Radio Stars. Getting something by them on CD was a holy grail of mine for years. Then I was able to get the Best Of comp "Somewhere There's A Place For Us" from a London record shop.

Recently though, both Songs For Swinging Lovers and The Holiday Album have been reissued.

Classic stuff that you, me and probably 5 other people in the world have actually heard of.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:06 pm

The rest of my review of the first comp I got from SAHB:

7. Strapps - "Sanctuary"
Love the chorus and the piano but not the spoken/shouted verses. If there was more of a melody to the verse sections, I would love this.

8. Be Bop Deluxe - 'Panic In My World"
I've heard of this band for years but don't know that I've ever heard them. Cool song with a nice riff.

9. Pink Fairies - "Street Urchin"
You nailed it in your writeup SAHB. This song would be much better if it was half as long. Nice melody but too much noodling around by the various players.

10. Mott - "Hold On, You're Crazy".
I used to have the Mott album "Drive On" on vinyl so I knew that Mott without the "Hoople" was quite a bit different. The first time I listened to this song, I thought "WTH?". After a second listen, it sort of grew on me.

11. Heavy Metal Kids - "Docking In"
This is the only song on this first comp where I struggle to find anything to like. I guess it's got a nice groove but quirky vocals and it ends with seagulls. Just not my thing.

12. New England - "Hey, You're On The Run"
One of the few bands on this comp with which I was already familiar. Their S/T was a staple of my freshman year in college. That one was produced by Paul Stanley if I remember correctly and featured the top 40 hit "Don't Ever Want To Lose You". This song is from one of their later albums and shows some growth from the straight AOR of the S/T. I was always told everything after the S/T sucked but I like this song a lot. I might have to investigate picking up their later stuff. BTW, listening to the intro to this song, I guess we know where Tommy Shaw got the keyboard riff to "Fooling Yourself", eh?

13. Streetheart - "Whose Turn Is It Tonight"
I dig this song. I like the funky, electrified piano at the beginning. Lyrically, I'm not sure what this guy's problem is with cats.

14. Zon - "Suicide"
I like most of this song although on the verses, the singer sounds too much like Robert Smith of The Cure for my tastes. The chorus rules but has this lyric "There's no way to star with an open sore". That's pretty disturbing.

15. White Witch - "Class of 2000"
SAHB describes this as cutting edge glam from a Southern band. I hear some Southern vibes in the song but overall I have a problem with the singer's voice and I don't like the stop/start tempo. The lyrics are funny though.

16. Russia - "Laughing In The Face Of Fire"
This song is hard to describe. SAHB calls it a cross between New Wave and Glam and I'd agree; leaning more toward the New Wave side IMO. Not bad.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:09 pm

I listened to Olafsto's comp.

1. Artch - Burn Down the Bridges
Very cool song.

2. Communic - Under a Luminous Sky
This is my first time hearing this band, and I am impressed. I should look into more of their stuff.

3. Contraband - All the Way to Memphis
Not really my bag at all.

4. Faith or Fear - C.D.S.
Not bad!

5. Freak of Nature - Turn the Other Way
Didn't care.

6. Witchhammer - Enola merry
Very fast, solid stuff.

7. Ian Gillan - A Day Late and a Dollar Short
Not bad by any means, although I prefer Gillan as the vocalist in DP.

8. Vindicator - The Dog Beneath the Skin
Solid stuff!

9. Gotthard - Master of Illusion
Didn't really care for this one, either.

10. Hirax - Assassins of War
Thumbs up!

11. Girlschool - Take it All Away
Didn't really care.

12. Avenger of Blood - Death Brigade
Believe it or not, my first time hearing this band. Intense stuff.

13. Blacklace - Damn Cheater
The weakest track here, easily. Thumbs down.

14. Suspended - Thrashing the Masses
Very cool song! One of the best here, most definitely!

15. Lion's Share - Cult of Denial
This is my first time hearing this band. A band I had heard OF for the longest time, but never really HEARD. Good song!

16. Hatred - Resurrection
Pretty good stuff!!!

17. Lich King - Black Metal Sucks
Amusing song! I dug it quite a bit.

Overall, I liked the compilation! Thanks!

Last edited by Required Fields on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Dude that Communic album rules!

I didn't care for the last one much but "Waves of Visual Decay" is great. Progressive Thrash.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:27 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The rest of my review of the first comp I got from SAHB:

7. Strapps - "Sanctuary"
Love the chorus and the piano but not the spoken/shouted verses. If there was more of a melody to the verse sections, I would love this.

8. Be Bop Deluxe - 'Panic In My World"
I've heard of this band for years but don't know that I've ever heard them. Cool song with a nice riff.

9. Pink Fairies - "Street Urchin"
You nailed it in your writeup SAHB. This song would be much better if it was half as long. Nice melody but too much noodling around by the various players.

10. Mott - "Hold On, You're Crazy".
I used to have the Mott album "Drive On" on vinyl so I knew that Mott without the "Hoople" was quite a bit different. The first time I listened to this song, I thought "WTH?". After a second listen, it sort of grew on me.

11. Heavy Metal Kids - "Docking In"
This is the only song on this first comp where I struggle to find anything to like. I guess it's got a nice groove but quirky vocals and it ends with seagulls. Just not my thing.

12. New England - "Hey, You're On The Run"
One of the few bands on this comp with which I was already familiar. Their S/T was a staple of my freshman year in college. That one was produced by Paul Stanley if I remember correctly and featured the top 40 hit "Don't Ever Want To Lose You". This song is from one of their later albums and shows some growth from the straight AOR of the S/T. I was always told everything after the S/T sucked but I like this song a lot. I might have to investigate picking up their later stuff. BTW, listening to the intro to this song, I guess we know where Tommy Shaw got the keyboard riff to "Fooling Yourself", eh?

13. Streetheart - "Whose Turn Is It Tonight"
I dig this song. I like the funky, electrified piano at the beginning. Lyrically, I'm not sure what this guy's problem is with cats.

14. Zon - "Suicide"
I like most of this song although on the verses, the singer sounds too much like Robert Smith of The Cure for my tastes. The chorus rules but has this lyric "There's no way to star with an open sore". That's pretty disturbing.

15. White Witch - "Class of 2000"
SAHB describes this as cutting edge glam from a Southern band. I hear some Southern vibes in the song but overall I have a problem with the singer's voice and I don't like the stop/start tempo. The lyrics are funny though.

16. Russia - "Laughing In The Face Of Fire"
This song is hard to describe. SAHB calls it a cross between New Wave and Glam and I'd agree; leaning more toward the New Wave side IMO. Not bad.

Wow nice one SAHB with the be bop deluxe! My dad saw them here in Oregon in the mid/late 70's.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:43 pm

So, I finished listening to the 1st CD from Shiney. I knew he had a taste that is waaaaaaaaaaayyy more varied than mine. All the more to dig into for me:
CD1

1. Mondays – BLAZ-ON : I was totally unfamiliar with this band, but I think they’ve been mentioned on the HoM at some point. This is one dirty, sleazy tune, with an infectious riff! Like Hanoi Rocks meets the first Mötley Crüe! Not my favorite style, but I can totally dig this!

2. Between The Lines – CONCRETE JUNGLE : Another band I was unfamiliar with (gonna write that A LOT here, I think LOL). This is somewhat in the same genre as Blaz-On, but much more on the glam side. I didn’t get the same kick from this song though.

3. Cigarettes & Starf*ckers – CRASH STREET KIDZ : Unfamiliar band again. In fact, I don’t even think I’ve seen the name of this band before! Again, I’d call this glam/sleaze. CSK reminds me of a dirtier Cinderella with underlying The Beatles tendencies. The song is catchy, and I can definitely hear more of this.

4. Sorrow – DAVID BOWIE : Shiney “warned” me that he would include non-metal stuff. That is the point of these com swaps, imo; to show people the music you like. I’ve never been a fan of DB myself, although I often enjoy his songs when they are played on the radio. I’ve always thought that he was somewhat the pop-equivalent to Alice Cooper. And “Sorrow” is yet another freaky tune I could totally hear Alice sing too. Or perhaps Elton John? Or ABBA? Cool tune!

5. Didn’t Know Yet, What I’d Know – DAX RIGGS : Totally unfamiliar! Where do you find this stuff, Jon? LOL Anyways, Dax Riggs delivers a mix of country and blues, like a “cleaned-up” Tom Waits with a touch of that Jehh Healey (the blind slide guitar-player from “Road House”. R.I.P. both him and Patrick Swayze). This is one EXCELLENT tune, and perhaps my favorite on this CD! A moody blues number that really gets under your skin.

6. The Devil Went To Georgia – FRONTRUNNER : What the heck was this? The song opens with what promises to be a power metal tune. Then it converts into a thrash/funk/sleaze number! Can you say; WEIRD?!! It sort of works though. Faith No More anyone? But I’m not going to hunt down any other titles from this band.

7. Merry-Go-Round – GASTONES : Yup, another unfamiliar name! And more sleaze! Shiney’s love for dirty hard rock is prevalent. Gastones are playing melodic hard rock with a punk attitude. A forgettable tune for me, but I bet the congregation eats this up, hook, line and sinker.

8. Kids Don’t Care – GUTTERSNIPE : Punk! Like a more melodic Ramones, The Guttersnipes, I assume, is a skatepunk band. A little too “nice” to really work, perhaps? The song made me wanna listen to the originators instead.

9. Kiss This – JOANNA DEAN : Seen the name, never heard the music. A dirtier Lita Ford? A “nicer” Joan Jett? Catchy song!

10. Commercial Suicide – KILL FOR THRILLS : I think John has a love for quirky vocals. Kill For Thrills is another dirty rock band, fronted by one Gilby Clarke. Here he also sings. This was not my thing at all.

11. Notion – KINGS OF LEON : So I’ve heard their hit, “Sex On Fire” on the radio numerous times. Never liked it. This song is from the same album, and it is 1.000.000.000 times better! This is moody alternative hard rock, with a soul filed voice, and vibrant music.

12. Salt Of My Tears – MARTIN BRILEY : This is radio friendly rock music. Phil Collins meets Bryan Adams, with a hint of American country? The song is good, but again, not something I’m going to spend time on later on. (I googled Martin Briley after hearing this song, and it turned out that the man has played with everyone and their brothers! He used to be in Greenslade, but have also contributed to albums with Ceibe dion, Michael Monroe, Ignition, Road House (Soundtrack), Night Ranger, Gregg Alman to name only few! This particular song has been issued on numerous occasions too. The only band he hasn’t played with/written songs for is the next one on the compilation.)

13. Satan’s Trampoline – LAWNMOWER DEATH : Finally a band I have hard the name of. Best song title ever, and this goofy death metal act is all about having fun.

14. Forever – Y&T : I know, it’s s shame, I own nothing from this band. In fact, this is the first time I am aware that I am listening to them! Y6T are legendary, and it’s about time that I get more familiar with these melodic metallers. “Forever” is a good tune, with lots of hooks. Thanks for reminding me, Shiney!

15. The Miles Away Girl – THE WILDHEARTS : Another familiar name. The Wildhearts, much like Thunder, are melodic hard rock, that just doesn’t appeal to me. I can hear that they are good at what they do, but it just sounds boring to me. Next!

16. Poor Poor Pitiful Me – WARREN ZEVON : This is a hit makin’ name, right? It’s strange when a name like this appears, and you nod in recognition, yet am totally blank on who it is. A quick google search made me aware of some of his greatest hits though. “Poor Poor Pitiful Me” was one of them. It’s cool that a novelty act like this made such headway.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:51 pm

BLAZ-ON were the local band when I was in high school....1987-88...they couldve been big had they not lived in central bumf**k Pa...

DAX RIGGS was the singer of ACID BATH....

GUTTERSNIPE sounds like an early 80's/late 70's new wave punk band, but they're from the mid to late 90's, I believe.

KINGS OF LEON are awesome...and 'Sex On Fire" is their weakest tune...

Hope you like disc 2 better, but I wouldnt count on it.... Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Hey, I liked most of disc 1! Laughing

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 1:15 pm

kmorg wrote:
sam wrote:

butt dance
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 2:42 pm

kmorg wrote:
So, I finished listening to the 1st CD from Shiney. I knew he had a taste that is waaaaaaaaaaayyy more varied than mine. All the more to dig into for me:
CD1

1. Mondays – BLAZ-ON : I was totally unfamiliar with this band, but I think they’ve been mentioned on the HoM at some point. This is one dirty, sleazy tune, with an infectious riff! Like Hanoi Rocks meets the first Mötley Crüe! Not my favorite style, but I can totally dig this!

2. Between The Lines – CONCRETE JUNGLE : Another band I was unfamiliar with (gonna write that A LOT here, I think LOL). This is somewhat in the same genre as Blaz-On, but much more on the glam side. I didn’t get the same kick from this song though.

3. Cigarettes & Starf*ckers – CRASH STREET KIDZ : Unfamiliar band again. In fact, I don’t even think I’ve seen the name of this band before! Again, I’d call this glam/sleaze. CSK reminds me of a dirtier Cinderella with underlying The Beatles tendencies. The song is catchy, and I can definitely hear more of this.

4. Sorrow – DAVID BOWIE : Shiney “warned” me that he would include non-metal stuff. That is the point of these com swaps, imo; to show people the music you like. I’ve never been a fan of DB myself, although I often enjoy his songs when they are played on the radio. I’ve always thought that he was somewhat the pop-equivalent to Alice Cooper. And “Sorrow” is yet another freaky tune I could totally hear Alice sing too. Or perhaps Elton John? Or ABBA? Cool tune!

5. Didn’t Know Yet, What I’d Know – DAX RIGGS : Totally unfamiliar! Where do you find this stuff, Jon? LOL Anyways, Dax Riggs delivers a mix of country and blues, like a “cleaned-up” Tom Waits with a touch of that Jehh Healey (the blind slide guitar-player from “Road House”. R.I.P. both him and Patrick Swayze). This is one EXCELLENT tune, and perhaps my favorite on this CD! A moody blues number that really gets under your skin.

6. The Devil Went To Georgia – FRONTRUNNER : What the heck was this? The song opens with what promises to be a power metal tune. Then it converts into a thrash/funk/sleaze number! Can you say; WEIRD?!! It sort of works though. Faith No More anyone? But I’m not going to hunt down any other titles from this band.

7. Merry-Go-Round – GASTONES : Yup, another unfamiliar name! And more sleaze! Shiney’s love for dirty hard rock is prevalent. Gastones are playing melodic hard rock with a punk attitude. A forgettable tune for me, but I bet the congregation eats this up, hook, line and sinker.

8. Kids Don’t Care – GUTTERSNIPE : Punk! Like a more melodic Ramones, The Guttersnipes, I assume, is a skatepunk band. A little too “nice” to really work, perhaps? The song made me wanna listen to the originators instead.

9. Kiss This – JOANNA DEAN : Seen the name, never heard the music. A dirtier Lita Ford? A “nicer” Joan Jett? Catchy song!

10. Commercial Suicide – KILL FOR THRILLS : I think John has a love for quirky vocals. Kill For Thrills is another dirty rock band, fronted by one Gilby Clarke. Here he also sings. This was not my thing at all.

11. Notion – KINGS OF LEON : So I’ve heard their hit, “Sex On Fire” on the radio numerous times. Never liked it. This song is from the same album, and it is 1.000.000.000 times better! This is moody alternative hard rock, with a soul filed voice, and vibrant music.

12. Salt Of My Tears – MARTIN BRILEY : This is radio friendly rock music. Phil Collins meets Bryan Adams, with a hint of American country? The song is good, but again, not something I’m going to spend time on later on. (I googled Martin Briley after hearing this song, and it turned out that the man has played with everyone and their brothers! He used to be in Greenslade, but have also contributed to albums with Ceibe dion, Michael Monroe, Ignition, Road House (Soundtrack), Night Ranger, Gregg Alman to name only few! This particular song has been issued on numerous occasions too. The only band he hasn’t played with/written songs for is the next one on the compilation.)

13. Satan’s Trampoline – LAWNMOWER DEATH : Finally a band I have hard the name of. Best song title ever, and this goofy death metal act is all about having fun.

14. Forever – Y&T : I know, it’s s shame, I own nothing from this band. In fact, this is the first time I am aware that I am listening to them! Y6T are legendary, and it’s about time that I get more familiar with these melodic metallers. “Forever” is a good tune, with lots of hooks. Thanks for reminding me, Shiney!

15. The Miles Away Girl – THE WILDHEARTS : Another familiar name. The Wildhearts, much like Thunder, are melodic hard rock, that just doesn’t appeal to me. I can hear that they are good at what they do, but it just sounds boring to me. Next!

16. Poor Poor Pitiful Me – WARREN ZEVON : This is a hit makin’ name, right? It’s strange when a name like this appears, and you nod in recognition, yet am totally blank on who it is. A quick google search made me aware of some of his greatest hits though. “Poor Poor Pitiful Me” was one of them. It’s cool that a novelty act like this made such headway.

Hey, Kiss This made it onto 2 comps. I put it on one of the ones I sent to SAHB. And I like that Kill For Thrills album. And the Wildhearts. And I haven't heard that Martin Briley song in literally decades. I think I have that album on vinyl.

And Zevon is one of the best storyteller/songwriters ever IMO.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:05 pm

that Shiney cat is just way too smurfing cool!!!!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Shiney wrote:
that Shiney cat is just way too smurfing cool!!!!

Shiny Cat?

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 58327_gimpet_shiny_cat_pouc_1

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Lol

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:39 pm

sam wrote:

20. Brutal Planet - Alice Cooper - Starts out with a generic "heavy" riff and generic "creepy" lead work. Cooper sounds tired. This was already done in the mid 90's by Manson, generic is the word.

I take it all back, this track rules. Since the day I wrote this I have become hooked on this song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Disc One from Uncle Sax

Saxon - Prelude Crusader/Crusader
Love a good prelude and this one works so well. "Fight The Good Fight...." Incredible anthem. Classic Saxon. Need to get those remasters someday.

Black 'N Blue - Rockin On Heavens Door
I only have a rarities disc of these guys and quite honestly it didn't do much for me. I might have to look into some proper albums because this is a fun hooky rocker. I could easily hear it blasting from the car stereo circa the eighties.

AC/DC -Bedlam In Belgium
It's AC/DC so you know exactly what your getting. And the getting is good.

Rastabilly - The Dead Milkmen
Sometimes I really dig these guys, sometimes I wonder why I dig them at all. Fun stuff though. Can't deny that.

Trust - Ride On
A bluesy jammy type song that has a great flow leading to a rockin out finale . I love when a vocalist raises the intensity leading to a chorus. Good stuff.

Villian - Only Time Will Tell
Just good classic sounding metal. Impossible not to love those blazing guitars and vocals.

Accuser - Sadistic Terror
This one taunts me since Accuser is perpetually stuck on my want list. I need to make a better effort to get some Accuser.

Everclear - Father Of Mine(remix)
I think Sparkle & Fade (this song came later) is an unheralded classic that deserves to be considered up there with the 90's best alternative rock. I have a personal story with this song that has nothing to do the lyrical content - my dad and I have a great relationship. I was three weeks from getting married and basically got dumped drunk in a bar. What a way to go out. The next day still all overly emotional about it I turned on the car radio and this song was playing. For some reason (all pain being universal?) it was very cathartic. Music is a such a beautiful thing.

Dirty Penny - Sleaze Disease
With the title alone this is a great song. Then you listen to it and it earns it's title. Try to get it out of your head. I'm going to search out some Dirty Penny after this.

Bob Marley - So Much Trouble In The World
As great as Exodus is, I personally feel the record this is on should have been named Time's album of the century instead. Survival - the most under-heralded classic of all time.

Soul Asylum - Take It To The Root
Nice little rave-up from the Clam Dip EP. Eighties Soul Asylum needs more recognition.

Krank - Hideous
A romper that does it's job and gets in and out leaving you wanting more.

Nine Inch Nails - Get Down Make Love
The Queen sample to close complete with the alternating speaker channels makes this for me. Over time I've come to appreciate NIN less and less.

Regime - U.G.L.Y.
Funny song using the old children's taunt. Killer gang chorus too.

Skankin Pickle - Turning Japanese
Always wondered why this song wasn't covered more. Here it gets the ska treatment. I think ska can take any song and make it work. The reggae break down in the middle is awesome too.

Tattooed Love Boys - Why Waltz When You Can Rock 'N Roll
Anything that starts with a screeching whistle will probably rock. This does.

Thorazine Rush - My Real Hell
Hate the band name but the song is a cool speedy thrasher with some nice clean punkish vocals. May have to look further into these guys despite the name.

Traci Lords - Control (original mix)
I have no problems with celebrities making this type of music. Harmless techno that is even sexier knowing it's Traci Lords. Reminds me of my techno obsession of 1994. It was fun while it lasted.

Overthrow - Chaos Incarnate
Was very happy to discover this album has been re-released and at a decent price. Great Canadian thrash. I love Canadian thrash.

Slave Raider - When The Vikings Strike
So I grew up a Redskins then a Bears fan. Have nothing against the Vikings though. I appreciate any attempts to musically celebrate the local team especially with metal anthems.... and songs that include a guy sawing the goalposts with a chainsaw.

Disc 2 still to come...
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Nice dude! Unc threw in some slave raider I see, I was contemplating putting some on Waynes comp.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:00 am

Nice variety on that Sax comp.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:18 am

Very cool write-up, jstate.

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VII: The Reviews   Comp Swap VII: The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap VII: The Reviews
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next