Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The original (big four) to tour?

Go down 
+30
GrandNational
Grimmo
DeathCult
Olafsto
muztaine
Al.
Required Fields
mr.electric39
James B.
kmorg
FlyingV
MetalGuy71
Sutekh
Wicked Rick
Lari
MetalFRO
Stender
Thrasher73
Lurideath
sheets
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
powermacho
Temple of Blood
Coma
mc666
manny
ultmetal
sam
Troublezone
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

It's nothing but a fanboy fantasy for the 30-somethings who remember the good ole days.

The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Pot-kettle-black

?

I'm the one trying to interject some realism into this thread.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Lari wrote:
Forget the talk about Anthrax, I wouldn't pay to see Metallica and they don't really fit the bill anyway (anymore) either.

If it's Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Annihilator/Overkill/Exodus, then it's a real old school thrash metal tour. Something a thrash metal fan can't miss. Metallica would just ruin it all. And their non-thrash fans who would buy all the tickets, never caring about the other bands. Metallica doesn't really need a big name lineup to support them.

Of course it would be a good chance for the MTV listeners to get their minds blown out by some 80's thrash, but really, I don't know. Why do people want to see big bands tour together anyway? It's not like they are suddenly more awesome because they play with other big bands. Everyone has seen all of them already.

Good points all.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:01 am

Quote :
Why do people want to see big bands tour together anyway?

Because they are the ones that we grew up with and the songs that we are familiar with. I'm so sick of all the generic (18th wave) thrash bands coming out getting tons of exposure without paying their dues like the old cats.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:04 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

It's nothing but a fanboy fantasy for the 30-somethings who remember the good ole days.

The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Pot-kettle-black

?

I'm the one trying to interject some realism into this thread.

But you just end up being the party pooper. Razz
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:57 am

This will never happen, imagine the fights over who would be the closer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:06 am

While I'm on the side of the "this will never happen" camp, I'd love to see it come true. Never saw Anthrax live for one thing.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:49 am

What gets me is how bands like Metallica will talk all day about their influences and how much they love bands from their scene and respect them but you never see Metallica take a band like Hirax on tour with them. And James digs Hirax a lot. Not picking on Metallica but it's true just the same.
Back to top Go down
Coma
Metal student
Metal student
Coma

Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 2:14 am

FlyingV wrote:
What gets me is how bands like Metallica will talk all day about their influences and how much they love bands from their scene and respect them but you never see Metallica take a band like Hirax on tour with them. And James digs Hirax a lot. Not picking on Metallica but it's true just the same.

It would help if Hirax had more full-lengths out. I like the band, but having more EPs than full-lengths makes no sense to me. I mean, since 1987, the band has released what, 4 EPs, 2 DVDs and 3 splits? I know a new full-length is due out soon, but until then, it's only one full-length since 1987!

I also think that unless they get signed to a big metal label, there's no way they can be added to any tour. I know the guys prefer to do everything by themselves, but it limits what they can do afterwards when it comes to touring. Labels make deals together to finance those tours. That's why you don't see a lot of indie bands opening up for your favorite bands on a full-scale tour. You might see a local band in your own town, but it's usually only for that specific show. Why do you think Warbringer is almost on every tour nowadays? They are signed to Century Media. Music-wise, they're old-school thrash, a bit like Hirax.

I've seen quite a few of you (especially the younger guys in their early 20s) ask for Hirax to be included to "this" tour or "that" tour, but I'm not even sure the guys in the band actually want to tour. Doing some festivals here and there and a few local gigs is probably all they want and can afford. They probably have all their day jobs, families, etc., making it difficult to tour. The only reason they're continuing with Hirax is probably just for fun and the love of metal.

Let's face it too, except for some of us who grew up with thrash metal, no one else cares about them. A lot of people who also listened to metal during the 80's/early 90's also never heard about them. I started listening to metal in 1988, and quite frankly, it took me 10 years to give a try to "Raging Violence". I knew of that record for quite some time, but by the time I started listening to metal, they had already disbanded.
Back to top Go down
http://thethrashzone.byethost32.com/df-trade.html
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:30 am

Coma wrote:
FlyingV wrote:

It would help if Hirax had more full-lengths out. I like the band, but having more EPs than full-lengths makes no sense to me. I mean, since 1987, the band has released what, 4 EPs, 2 DVDs and 3 splits? I know a new full-length is due out soon, but until then, it's only one full-length since 1987!

I also think that unless they get signed to a big metal label, there's no way they can be added to any tour. I know the guys prefer to do everything by themselves, but it limits what they can do afterwards when it comes to touring. Labels make deals together to finance those tours. That's why you don't see a lot of indie bands opening up for your favorite bands on a full-scale tour. You might see a local band in your own town, but it's usually only for that specific show. Why do you think Warbringer is almost on every tour nowadays? They are signed to Century Media. Music-wise, they're old-school thrash, a bit like Hirax.

I've seen quite a few of you (especially the younger guys in their early 20s) ask for Hirax to be included to "this" tour or "that" tour, but I'm not even sure the guys in the band actually want to tour. Doing some festivals here and there and a few local gigs is probably all they want and can afford. They probably have all their day jobs, families, etc., making it difficult to tour. The only reason they're continuing with Hirax is probably just for fun and the love of metal.

Let's face it too, except for some of us who grew up with thrash metal, no one else cares about them. A lot of people who also listened to metal during the 80's/early 90's also never heard about them. I started listening to metal in 1988, and quite frankly, it took me 10 years to give a try to "Raging Violence". I knew of that record for quite some time, but by the time I started listening to metal, they had already disbanded.
Have you even visited the Hirax forum on this board? This year Hirax have toured Japan & South America. They been to Europe (I saw them here in Norway, which I thought would never happen), and they been doing several gigs around the US. If that is a band that is not touring, I don't know anything. Sure, they are ot going on lengthy trecks for long periods of time. But it seems that these guys are taking every chance they can get to play for their fans. And that is what matters, if you ask me.

Metal student
Metal student
Coma

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:39 pm

There's a difference between playing 20 gigs a year and 200. That's what I meant. You don't take a band who can't afford to tour extensively on a major tour with a band like Metallica, Testament or any other band that can headline a full-scale tour. It's sad but true.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Coma wrote:
There's a difference between playing 20 gigs a year and 200. That's what I meant. You don't take a band who can't afford to tour extensively on a major tour with a band like Metallica, Testament or any other band that can headline a full-scale tour. It's sad but true.

I would say Hirax plays closer to 200 gigs a year than 20.

There are big name bands that play 20 cities a year and call that a tour.

So your point can be both valid and invalid depending on one's perspective

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 3:10 pm

I would rather see Testament than Anthrax..... when my youngest son who's 16 says he likes their RAP tune with Public Enemy more than their other stuff....

R.I.P.

I really liked Antrax back in the day.... but Testament would be a better fit I think...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Coma
Metal student
Metal student
Coma

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 3:20 pm

James B. wrote:

That's ridiculous.

September 2009 : 8 dates in South America
August 2009 : 3 dates in Texas
August 2009 : 1 date in Los Angeles
August 2009 : 1 date in San Francisco
February 2009 : 1 date in Japan
January 2009 : 1 date in Norway

And they're scheduled to play in November in Puerto Rico. That makes a big total of 16 shows for 2009.

Now, for 2008 : 5 shows.

A little more in 2007, but that's still around 20.

I'm not saying they're not good. I have all their CDs. I'm just saying that they're not attractive to bring on a large tour for various reasons, so bringing their name up whenever a bigger band needs an opening band for a large tour is just pure fantasy. They'll play where they have a big fanbase, and that's about it. They do it basically for fun and for the current fans.

I'd say I want to see Forbidden on every tour. I'm just down-to-earth, I know it'll never happen. I'm not sure the guys want to start touring extensively again in a crappy tour bus (or even a minivan) and spend some time in shitty hotel rooms again, as when they were younger.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 10:56 pm

FlyingV wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to see them do something like that for a change.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Al.
Metal novice
Metal novice
Al.

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:09 am

Metallica are touring North America in December with Gojira, Lamb of God and now Machine Head added as opening acts. Oh yeah here's the link.
Back to top Go down
muztaine
Metal novice
Metal novice
muztaine

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:12 am

I'd say Exodus or Testament if not Anthrax. Not Machine Head.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 11:25 am

Coma wrote:

I see what you're saying.

It would be nice to see them take out one of these new young bands out and give them some exposure. A band like Evile or Municipal Waste or one of those other new wave of thrash bands. Instead, Metallica tours with Lamb of God. Bleh!

That was another thing that bothered me about Metallica back during the Load/Re-load era. Instead of touring with some up-and-coming METAL bands and giving them a helping hand, they toured with bands like Linkin Park & Deftones, which struck me as either a desperate attempt to seem hip with younger crowds or too afraid to tour with a real metal band that would make 'em look bad.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 am

Coma wrote:
James B. wrote:

That's ridiculous.

September 2009 : 8 dates in South America
August 2009 : 3 dates in Texas
August 2009 : 1 date in Los Angeles
August 2009 : 1 date in San Francisco
February 2009 : 1 date in Japan
January 2009 : 1 date in Norway

And they're scheduled to play in November in Puerto Rico. That makes a big total of 16 shows for 2009.

Now, for 2008 : 5 shows.

A little more in 2007, but that's still around 20.

I'm not saying they're not good. I have all their CDs. I'm just saying that they're not attractive to bring on a large tour for various reasons, so bringing their name up whenever a bigger band needs an opening band for a large tour is just pure fantasy. They'll play where they have a big fanbase, and that's about it. They do it basically for fun and for the current fans.

I'd say I want to see Forbidden on every tour. I'm just down-to-earth, I know it'll never happen. I'm not sure the guys want to start touring extensively again in a crappy tour bus (or even a minivan) and spend some time in shitty hotel rooms again, as when they were younger.

You may be more correct than I was but you forgot some stuff in August. If you're gonna get all specific and post dates at least get em all. sheesh

and I believe they were in South America earlier this summer as well?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:36 pm

I have ten times more respect and love for Hirax than both Metallica and Anthrax of today..
Still have to agree with Coma when it comes to a tour like this....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That was another thing that bothered me about Metallica back during the Load/Re-load era. Instead of touring with some up-and-coming METAL bands and giving them a helping hand, they toured with bands like Linkin Park & Deftones, which struck me as either a desperate attempt to seem hip with younger crowds or too afraid to tour with a real metal band that would make 'em look bad.

Agreed. Though I did go see the Load tour when Corrosion Of Conformity was the opening act...in fact I went to the show just for C.O.C.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea, but I doubt itll happen. Personally, id rather see something more to the effect of Megadeth or Slayer with Nuclear Assault.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:13 pm

detuned wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Agreed. Though I did go see the Load tour when Corrosion Of Conformity was the opening act...in fact I went to the show just for C.O.C.

Yea I saw that tour too. I should also mention that Metallica took The Sword out with them this time around too. Very cool. So props for that, I suppose.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 5:37 pm

This of course means nothing, but I'd thought I share it anyway...

Quote :
Scott Ian said, "There's this big rumor that we're gonna do METALLICA, ANTHRAX, SLAYER and MEGADETH next summer in Europe, and this is supposedly coming from the METALLICA camp. So whether it's true or not, I'm really excited about it, and I'll say right now that we will absolutely do it. So we're in. [laughs]"

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 5:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
This of course means nothing, but I'd thought I share it anyway...

Quote :
Scott Ian said, "There's this big rumor that we're gonna do METALLICA, ANTHRAX, SLAYER and MEGADETH next summer in Europe, and this is supposedly coming from the METALLICA camp. So whether it's true or not, I'm really excited about it, and I'll say right now that we will absolutely do it. So we're in. [laughs]"

Translated: "James? Lars? Are you reading this? We're totally available. Just give us a call. Dudes, help a brotha out!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Of course ANTHRAX are interested.

It's a matter of getting METALLICA interested .... which ain't gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The original (big four) to tour?   The original (big four) to tour? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The original (big four) to tour?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next