Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

That's funny....

Go down 
+18
fingers
sam
mc666
James B.
Metal Misfit
chucksteak
Red Kitty
XYZ
Schbopo
GrandNational
Troublezone
MetalRob331
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
manny
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
kmorg
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

That's funny.... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:46 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
No, it's not comparing. Sorry. Suggesting one musician is better is not comparing, not in the least.

What?? You are talking about two musicians and saying one is better. Do the math! Anyone that goes against your "logic" if i can call it that is inferior to you.
I don't need to do the math. I do the dictionary.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:47 am

Speaking of technical over simple, look at David Gilmour. That guy says so much with very few notes compared to a Petrucci. Same with BB King.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:49 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
No, it's not comparing. Sorry. Suggesting one musician is better is not comparing, not in the least.

What?? You are talking about two musicians and saying one is better. Do the math! Anyone that goes against your "logic" if i can call it that is inferior to you.

It's a figure of speech genius.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:50 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
I always thought the guys from Zep were all overrated,

No one said they are the best but as songwriters they are timeless. You know those players that can say more with one note than a shredder can with 100? I think Page was one of those and same with Bonham.

Bonham stuck out to me in Zep, Page on the other hand besides a few tasty licks really is way down on my list of great guitar players. What kills me with him is his constant looping and recording multiple guitar tracks for a song. He has come up with some of rocks most memorable riiffs I will give him that though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:52 am

detuned wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Of course it's a valid argument. Are you serious? I've listened to PLENTY of Zeppelin and Bonham's drumming to form my opinion. And for the record, I simply said he was overrated. I never said he wasn't a good drummer.
Have I ever come across as not being serious? Did you actually read my posts? If so, please point out where I accused you of calling Bonham a bad drummer. I said no such thing.
No, you didn't. I was just mentioning that since it seemed like this conversation was going astray.

I just disagree that somehow my comments aren't valid. It's very simple. I don't think Bonham ever was a brilliant drummer. I added that it's possible that because I am so far removed from that time period that I simply cannot appreciate what he did. I'm not quite sure how anyone can suggest that my points aren't valid. It's like me saying I could be wrong because I can't relate to that era of music, and then you come along and say, "No. You can't say you might be wrong and you can relate to that era...but you're wrong all the same." That makes no sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:53 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
God. You are so unrepentant with your foolish ignorance. I feel like I'm talking to a child when conversing with you.

What is this? A polite insult or something... You were comparing, get over it. You have a childish need to talk to others like you're better or the king of the hill that no one should dare disagree with. When you were made he broke the mold. Whatever...
You can't quote a book you don't understand.

Here you are again, telling someone what they meant. I was not comparing, and if you insist I was comparing, I'd suggest reading the dictionary in addition to the Bible.

Yes, I am being somewhat insulting. Sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:54 am

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

It's a figure of speech genius.
I quite aware of what it means. But thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:57 am

Troublezone wrote:
Websters dictionary definition is -

2 a: to examine the character or qualities of especially in order to discover resemblances or differences

Two names were mentioned, one was pronounced as better than the other, right? Can you say delusional?
Really? You just borrowed my foot and kicked your own ass with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:59 am

Troublezone wrote:
detuned wrote:
James B. wrote:
I understand Eyesore's opinion, but the point he needs to comprehend is that alot of practice can give any drummer the ability to play with the speed and dexterity of a Gene Hoglan. But all the practice in the world can never give a drummer the feel and timing of a John Bonham.

THANK YOU, YOU ARE A WISE AND ENLIGHTENED SOUL.

I was going to say the same thing. Smile
Eyesore comprehends that loud and clear. Doesn't change his opinion on the matter. I think he is overrated. Plain and simple.

Good drummer for his time.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:00 am

I understand it just fine but apparently you don't know how to use words to get your "point" across. I'm sure anyone else would have got it like i did. Like i said Bonham and Hoglan should'nt even been mentioned in the same sentence. As for your insult, who care's... you're just some character from across the country.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:02 am

Troublezone wrote:
I understand it just fine but apparently you don't know how to use words to get your "point" across. I'm sure anyone else would have got it like i did. Like i said Bonham and Hoglan should'nt even been mentioned in the same sentence. As for your insult, who care's... you're just some character from across the country.
I use words quite well, thank you. You just don't understand them.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:05 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

2 a: to examine the character or qualities of especially in order to discover resemblances or differences

Two names were mentioned, one was pronounced as better than the other, right? Can you say delusional?

Hello? Is there anyone home??? You said one could mop the floor with the other, that is "comparing" one with the other by way of skill. The definition says "resemblances or differences"... the difference being one is better than the other. Now explain how i borrowed your foot and kicked my own ass?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:09 am

Quote :
I use words quite well, thank you. You just don't understand them.

And detuned and James B... sorry, you don't.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:11 am

pardon me, don't mean to interrupt the drama. however, on the subject of Limp Bizkit... i never liked them. they may be good musicians or whatever, but i could never get past the fact that Durst acts like a tool. of course, so does Glenn Danzig & i like his bands just fine. go figure.

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 am

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Hello? Is there anyone home??? You said one could mop the floor with the other, that is "comparing" one with the other by way of skill. The definition says "resemblances or differences"... the difference being one is better than the other. Now explain how i borrowed your foot and kicked my own ass?
Because you're creating a NEW definition for a word for the benefit of your own argument. How can you not even grasp that simple fact? I did not examine the character or qualities between the two, nor did I point out any resemblances or differences. Saying I liked one more than the other does NO COMPARING WHATSOEVER. None. This is fact. Black and white. Plain and simple. You can't even argue it.

And if you do, you're only making yourself look silly.

Last edited by Eyesore on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 am

Well that was fun. Talking to whack jobs is tiring... time to turn the computer off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:15 am

Troublezone wrote:
Well that was fun. Talking to whack jobs is tiring... time to turn the computer off.
Ah, yes. Now we've gotten to the school yard insults. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:19 am

Quote :
I did not examining the character or qualities between the two, nor did I point out any resemblances or differences

No you didn't pick them apart and examine but you in the most basic sense made a judgement based on skill. Opinions are fine but not everyone can groove like Bonham. I agree that Hoglan is technically light years ahead in skill but there was a magic with Bonham that is hard to explain.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:20 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

What's the difference between that and what you said which you admitted was an insult?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:21 am

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
What's the difference between that and what you said which you admitted was an insult?
My insult was mature.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:23 am

Ok seriously i'm tired and this is not worth my time. Goodnight
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:26 am

Troublezone wrote:
Speaking of technical over simple, look at David Gilmour. That guy says so much with very few notes compared to a Petrucci. Same with BB King.

Gilmour is amazing and has some of the best solos ever IMO. Petrucci gets way overlooked because of his technical abilites but is not your typical shredder and has some amazing solos just as soulful and full of emotion as Gilmour. Some are almost Gilmour like. He also has some amazing technical solos that are easily as memorable although fast and more shredding.

Listen to these songs

Peruvian Skies, Lines in the Sand, When the Water Breaks, Scarred, Anna Lee, A Change of Seasons, Goodnight Kiss, As I Am, and especially his work with The Explorers Club. Also listen to his playing on songs Wishful Thinking(instant goosebumps) and Lost Without You all are very emotional solos.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 am

By the way, Gene is still the man.

THE FLUKE

Absolutely brilliant drumming.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 8:31 am

James B. wrote:
I understand Eyesore's opinion, but the point he needs to comprehend is that alot of practice can give any drummer the ability to play with the speed and dexterity of a Gene Hoglan. But all the practice in the world can never give a drummer the feel and timing of a John Bonham.

I love this guy. 100% agree.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:00 am

On Gene Hoglan's website interesting enough the first song he learned to play was Led Zeppelin's 'The Roover" and also here is a quote from the man himself in regards to drumming in general:

I love metal and I love playing metal, because it’s easy. The challenging stuff is playing…for instance, I put a song on there from a project I'm doing with a girl in Chicago named Jilly C, and it’s a really simple, tasty, funky song that just shows you how to lock into a pocket. Most people do know that I tend to play mostly metal stuff, but I’m a well-rounded drummer, so I threw on some grooves, shuffles and some funk stuff. I was playing non-metal stuff before I ever played metal; back when I was a kid there wasn’t really a thrash metal scene around as I was coming up so…I just tried to make it an all-encompassing thing. I don’t concentrate solely on double bass or crazy chops.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That's funny....   That's funny.... - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

That's funny....
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next