Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question

Go down 
+3
Fat Freddy
manny
MetalGuy71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Empty
PostSubject: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:32 am

I've been on a tear lately, buying up W.A.S.P.'s back catalog. I'm getting near completetion on the studio albums and wondering if I should bother with the live discs. As I've mentioned in past posts, I'm not a huge fan of live albums. For the most part, I can take 'em or leave 'em, with some exceptions of course. But having never seeing WASP live, I'm curious. So my question is...

If I were to buy just one live cd, which would it be?

-Live...In the Raw
-Double Live Assassins
-The Sting
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:39 am

Double Live Assassins it is a double cd gives a good cross section of their material thru the years and it is one of best sounding live albums in recent memory.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:49 am

If you're only gonna pick one, I'd tell you to go with DOUBLE LIVE ASSASSINS. I'm not a big live album guy either but I happen to like that one a lot.

I don't have THE STING but I'm told that the sound quality is awful. I do own LIVE...IN THE RAW and though it's got a great track listing of their early material, the production is absolutely terrible...it sounds like the band were playing at the bottom of a deep well and the recording equipment was at the top. On the other hand, LIVE IN THE RAW does have two songs on it that were never recorded for a studio album ("Manimal" and "Harder Faster") as well as an exclusive studio track ("Scream Until You Like It," which was the theme song to the movie "Ghoulies II.")

The production on DOUBLE LIVE ASSASSINS is leaps and bounds ahead of LIVE IN THE RAW so I prefer that one. It was recorded on the K.F.D. tour and even though I didn't like that album much at all (in fact, I traded my copy of it to Spec a while back), I prefer the live versions of songs from that album over the studio versions. They sound less processed and artificial.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:57 am

DLA is definitely one of the best live albums of recent years. it's amazing.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:04 am

Double Live...is the one I was leaning towards anyway. I liked that In the Raw captured their "early years", but Double Live... is, well, double. If 1 disc is good, 2 is better, right?

I've still got 2 or 3 studio albums I need to pick up, so they'll be first on the list, but I'll keep an eye out for DLA.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Double Live Assassins easily.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:09 pm

DLA.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Live In The Raw, just for The Manimal and Harder Faster Smile And about sound quality, I find it to sound perfect, but I listen to a lot of old NWOBHM demos and 7in so my ear might be calibrated to a lower standard :p
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:05 pm

steel warrior wrote:
Live In The Raw, just for The Manimal and Harder Faster Smile And about sound quality, I find it to sound perfect, but I listen to a lot of old NWOBHM demos and 7in so my ear might be calibrated to a lower standard :p

I too have never thought the sound quality was bad on Live...In The Raw and I own three different versions. It's one of my favorite live albums of all time and has an absolutely incredible energy to it. It's a great representation of their first three albums plus two unreleased tracks and the song from one of the Ghoulies movies; but DLA is a better representation of more material from the "most outrageous band in the world."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:07 pm

My only complaint is Live In The Raw isn't an authentic live album. The crowd noise is mostly canned. That is why I chose the more real DLA for his first. But I'm with you, sentinel, LITR is bad ass.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:21 pm

Quote :
My only complaint is Live In The Raw isn't an authentic live album. The crowd noise is mostly canned.

Do you know that for fact or just speculating?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 pm

I suppose I'm speculating, because I don't have physical proof, but if you listen to it, you're able to tell it's canned. It's a perfect sounding live album, much like Unleashed in the East or Priest Live. The bands are good but not THAT good. But don't let me steer you away from it, it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question   Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live W.A.S.P. Recordings Question
Page 1 of 1