Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).

Go down 
+18
sovdat
candlemass
brokentulsa
jstate
Grimmo
journeyman
Lurideath
Joe
nevermore
adrian
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Leatherface
Alex Dee Rokket
krokus
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Empty
PostSubject: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 4:54 am

Hail brothers and brothers (no sisters yet on this forum, no?). Anyway, this live album by DESTRUCTION is one of my all time fave thrash metal albums. Perfect set list perfect sound (dirty and raw). Just a perfect album. You like it too, whats your fave thrash metal live album????
I also like MORTAL WAY OF LIVE from 1988 by SODOM, FAT UGLY AND LIVE by TANKARD, THRASH AND DESTROY by HIRAX or ALIVE AGAIN by NUCLEAR ASSAULT to put a couple of exemples. But i still think that LIVE WITHOUT SENSE is the best.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 5:17 am

You bring up a good point ... not enough women on this board Razz

Jokes aside, I think there has always been a lack of real classic thrash metal live albums. You have stuff like Tokyo Tapes, Made in Japan, Exit Stage Left, the various live Rainbow albums etc but not enough staple thrash metal albums. Death metal shares a similar story when it comes to live albums.

I think my favorite thrash live album is Decade of Aggression - recorded in the early 90s at the peak of Slayer's career imo during the Seasons in the Abyss tour. There are so many cool songs on this double-disc covering almost the entire Seasons album live plus some older classic cuts.

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 5:20 am

Yes, i agree, DECADE OF AGGRESSION is very cool too. Have it on vinyl and tapes. A real must have live thrash metal release.
Also some of the early cool thrash metal live releases came out on vhs only like the ones by KREATOR and TANKARD for exemple recorded in east berlin.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 5:39 am

Oh yes indeed! Those shows from the late 80s where Tankard, Kreator, and Coroner I believe played in East Germany right around the time the wall was going down... very classic shows. I believe Tankard released those recordings as bonus tracks on the re-issues from a few years ago.

Another really awesome show that was for a very long time only on vhs is Sepultura's Under Siege (Live in Barcelona) from '91! That is a very tight and aggressive show... live Sepultura in those days sounded so much fiercer than on the studio albums
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18928

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 5:47 am

Testament's Live at the Fillmore is a good one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 9:26 am

I love thrash and I love live albums, however, I tend to think that thrash metal is better on studio albums than live albums. The reason that albums like Double Live Gonzo, Unleashed in the East, Strangers in the Night, etc. are so good is because of the energy they capture and how the songs have more edge, more energy and are just beefier.

With thrash, what is so compelling about it is the tight riffing, along with a tight rhythm section belting out those mosh beats and machine gun riffs. A lot of live albums just sound sloppy in comparison. I do like many live thrash albums but I just don't seem to hold them in as high esteem as classics from other genres.

Some of my favorites...
Overkill - Wrecking Your Neck Live (one of the best!)
Overkill - Wrecking Everything Live
Overkill - Live At Wacken Open Air 2007 (one I listen to frequently)
Dark Angel - Live Scars (short but furious EP!)
Testament - Return to the Apocalyptic City (another short kick-ass EP)
Forbidden - Raw Evil: Live at the Dynamo (yes, another great EP!)
Deliverance - Intense Live (recorded live in the studio)
Hirax - Thrash and Destroy (Katon's energy and stage banter is part of it's charm. The band is actually kind of sloppy)
Anthrax - Alive 2 (really captures the Belladonna reunion tour well!)
Exodus - Good Friendly Violent Fun (short, fun, live EP)
Kreator - Live Kreation (simply vicious!)

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 am

Quote :
Overkill - Wrecking Everything

Wut dis guy sez right here.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 9:52 am

Yeah, Wrecking Everything is my favorite, awesome setlist, great performances, never a dull moment from Bobby. I also enjoy F*ck You and Then Some, if you want to call it a live EP (?). Exodus did solid with their EP. And don't forget Megadeth's handful of live releases; they tend to be pretty tight, like Rust in Peace Live.

For me, though, live albums really lost their spark in the 80's. Can't really explain why. But those classic live records really do multiply the wealth of a band's style.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 am

I believe there is at least one female on this board. Isn't there someone named "80s metal lady" or something like that?

But anyway...I don't think I've really ever heard many live thrash albums. I used to have Exodus' Another Lesson in Violence, and I liked that a lot. I really can't think of any other live thrash album I've heard. Oh, except fot Decade of Agression, of course. So those two would by my favorites.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 10:20 am

There's a few ladies, some who just don't post as much as others. jerseygirl still buzzes around frequently but rarely posts.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 10:52 am

ultmetal wrote:
I love thrash and I love live albums, however, I tend to think that thrash metal is better on studio albums than live albums. The reason that albums like Double Live Gonzo, Unleashed in the East, Strangers in the Night, etc. are so good is because of the energy they capture and how the songs have more edge, more energy and are just beefier.

With thrash, what is so compelling about it is the tight riffing, along with a tight rhythm section belting out those mosh beats and machine gun riffs. A lot of live albums just sound sloppy in comparison. I do like many live thrash albums but I just don't seem to hold them in as high esteem as classics from other genres.

Some of my favorites...
Hirax - Thrash and Destroy (Katon's energy and stage banter is part of it's charm. The band is actually kind of sloppy)

I agree with many on your list, like the TESTAMENT ep (i also like the LIVE AT THE DYNAMO by the same band ep).
I think one of the most important thing is the set list. If thats good i dont mind the sound (thats why i have hunderds of live bootlegs with bad sound). WRECKING YOUR NECK is for exemple a live album i dont like very much because the set list. So many songs from W.F.O. I understand they were touring for that album but many of the songs are not very strong. 7 songs are from that album and i only really like BASTARD NATION (that sounds even better live).
DEATH ANGEL also released a cool live album FALL FROM GRACE with 5 songs from the THE ULTRA VIOLENCE. Yes, set list is the most important thing for me to like a live album.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 10:55 am

I think that WRECKING EVERTHING is better, better set list imo.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:55 pm

I've always had a soft spot for Slayer - Live Undead, mostly because it was the first Slayer record that I ever owned.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 1:03 pm

I'd definitely have to go with Wrecking Everything as my favorite
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Overkill - Wrecking Everything
Exodus - Another Lesson In Violence
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 pm

I love Live Without Sense. This came out right after Release From Agony, so they were using twin guitars. I miss Harry.

Sodom - One Night in Bangkok
Kreator - Live Kreation
Slayer - Decade of Aggression
Anthrax - Alive 2
Exodus - Another Lesson in Violence
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Sodom - One Night in Bangkok
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 2:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Some of my favorites...

Yes, my view as well. I would rather go to the show than listen to a live recording of thrash.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 1:43 am

Kreator's Live Kreation is my favourite. Some of the live versions of songs from their experimental albums were actually more thrashy and improved here. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 am

My favorite would be Toxik's live Dynamo Air 88. It came with the dvd of the show. Just great energy, muddy sound, and fun. Everything a thrash show should be.

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Sacred Reich...Still Ignorant Live
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Mortification - Live Planetarium headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:24 am

Some of my favorites have already been mentioned:

SLAYER - Decade of Aggression
EXODUS - A Lesson in Violence
DESTRUCTION - Live Without Sense
OVERKILL - Wrecking Everything

OVERKILL - Live at Wacken 2007 too (was there too Smile ), but as far as I'm concerned it was only released as a DVD (bonus to Immortalis)? As I rarely watch music it doesn't get a lot of play ...
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:33 am

Hard to pick one so in no particular order...

Megadeth - That one Night - Live in Argentina
Megadeth - Rude Awakening
Megadeth - Live In London (10-16-90) (A complete live concert included in the War Chest box)
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2023 6:01 pm

Some other great thrash live albums I like:

Sepultura - Under Siege (Live in Barcelona)
Kreator - At the Pulse of Kapitulation
Kreator - Live Kreation
Destruction - Live Without Sense
Destruction - Alive Devastation
Slayer - Decade of Aggression (Still have my copy I bought in Japan with 3 extra songs)
Slayer - Live Undead
Testament- Live at the Fillmore
The Haunted - Live Rounds In Tokyo

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).    Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your fave thrash live album??? DESTRUCTION:LIVE WITHOUT SENSE (1989).
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next