Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bad re-recordings

Go down 
+11
Eyesore
Gilbert
Jesusandmetal23
exact33
Temple of Blood
arachnoplasma
Grimmo
Troublezone
GrandNational
stormspell
metalhead777
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Songs that in you opinion were made less enjoyable or just flat out ruined by a re-recording.

Original

Remake
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Well, I did not have the guts to hear the remake, but I made it to the solo on the original and it became painfully apparent why the band wanted this remade...

Very poor man's Bal Sagoth, this band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:03 am

Maybe not a bad re-recording, but an unnecessary one:

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 3:22 am

GrandNational wrote:

It may have been unnecessary... but i'm glad they did it. At the time the original was either out of print or hard to find. And it doesn't hurt to have a punchier, more "metal infused" version to listen to... (in addition to the original)

Ever notice Tom Araya's walk by cameo in the original video?
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 7:23 am

Some of the tracks on Megadeth's Rust In Piece could technically be re-recordings, since Dave recorded new vocals. I prefer the original version of this classic thrash masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Troublezone wrote:

I hadn't noticed, that was cool. And I agree that the re-recording is punchier, but the original has that old-school charm, plus Mike is so much younger, so it's more convincing.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:49 pm

What about Helloween's Unarmed album? sick

I hate it most when bands re-record their classic albums. It's like remaking a classic movie, it's just pointless. I'll take the original recordings of Exodus' Bonded by Blood and Manowar's Battle Hymns, with their characteristic flaws and all.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:58 pm

I know most people won't agree but TESTAMENT's "First Strike Still Deadly" was disappointing.

The solos, which were a highlight of the first two albums, sound MUCH worse.

The drums were much better as was the production but I don't think the downtuning improved those songs much. Also didn't think the vocals were quite as good.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 pm

arachnoplasma wrote:

I hate it most when bands re-record their classic albums. It's like remaking a classic movie, it's just pointless. I'll take the original recordings of Exodus' Bonded by Blood and Manowar's Battle Hymns, with their characteristic flaws and all.

to be honest, I didnt have any hope for Unarmed but it is pretty decent.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 1:06 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I know most people won't agree but TESTAMENT's "First Strike Still Deadly" was disappointing.

The solos, which were a highlight of the first two albums, sound MUCH worse.

The drums were much better as was the production but I don't think the downtuning improved those songs much. Also didn't think the vocals were quite as good.

And the songs seem to be played a little slower... I wish they had just remastered the original two albums instead.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 1:08 am

Quote :
I agree that the re-recording is punchier, but the original has that old-school charm, plus Mike is so much younger, so it's more convincing.

Yeah, the youthful charm of the original is classic and can't be recaptured. But I have both versions, so I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 am

Rob Dukes' vocals on the Bonded by Blood tracks are horrific. Completely ruins a classic album.

Also the Anthrax album with Bush's vocals on the Turbin/Belladonna tracks, completely unnecessary. Thinking of this one in particular:
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 3:15 am

Grimmo wrote:
Some of the tracks on Megadeth's Rust In Piece could technically be re-recordings, since Dave recorded new vocals. I prefer the original version of this classic thrash masterpiece.

I totally agree. The original recording has a genuine sound, even if rawer.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 3:48 am

Troublezone wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

It may have been unnecessary... but i'm glad they did it. At the time the original was either out of print or hard to find. And it doesn't hurt to have a punchier, more "metal infused" version to listen to... (in addition to the original)

An absurdly overrate album, re-recorded or not.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 3:53 am

exact33 wrote:
arachnoplasma wrote:

I think Unarmed is great. They weren't trying to recapture the sound of those original songs, they totally re-invented them. Like them or not, it was pretty cool what they did.

And I think the songs on First Strike Still Deadly blow the originals away. I wish they'd re-record all those albums that way. Haha.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 10:20 am

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
arachnoplasma wrote:

I think Unarmed is great. They weren't trying to recapture the sound of those original songs, they totally re-invented them. Like them or not, it was pretty cool what they did.

And I think the songs on First Strike Still Deadly blow the originals away. I wish they'd re-record all those albums that way. Haha.

I love "First Strike Still Deadly". headbanger

Most fans seem to hate Anthrax "The Greater of Two Evils" as well, but I think it's outstanding.

I also like Twisted Sister's "Still Hungry", though I think the original version of "The Price" off of "Stay Hungry" is better than the re-recorded version. I wouldn't say they ruined the song, but the vocal performance just isn't as strong IMO.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 10:26 am

First Strike Still Deadly pretty much beats the originals for me, but then I always thought early Testament records (especially the debut) sounded a bit flat production wise. The only thing that bothered me about it is that Zetro Souza does the vocals on 'Alone In The Dark'. Whilst it's good with him, around that time Chuck Billy was doing the song like this;

Re-recorded:

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Smindas wrote:
The only thing that bothered me about it is that Zetro Souza does the vocals on 'Alone In The Dark'.

I agree. I liked FIRST STRIKE STILL DEADLY, but prefer the originals. The only other gripe would be that with the new production, and the downtuned guitars, it kind of made the songs all sound the same.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Rob Dukes' vocals on the Bonded by Blood tracks are horrific. Completely ruins a classic album.

Really? I'm going to get allot of crap for this but I HATED the original Bonded by Blood. Actually,I think Paul Baloff was a terrible vocalist in general.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 4:58 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
Actually,I think Paul Baloff was a terrible vocalist in general.

Agreed. But some of those songs were really good.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

An absurdly overrate album, re-recorded or not.

I disagree. It's a classic and had better musicianship than any punk band before.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 11:37 am

I won't disagree with that, but I think it's weak album given it's classic status. I like it, don't get me wrong, but don't find it nearly as good as people say it is. Join the Army through The Art of Rebellion is when Suicidal was great.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 7:09 am

Eyesore wrote:
I won't disagree with that, but I think it's weak album given it's classic status. I like it, don't get me wrong, but don't find it nearly as good as people say it is. Join the Army through The Art of Rebellion is when Suicidal was great.

Yeah, I like the Rocky George years the best too... but the original album has a certain feel to it that was great.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yeah, I like the Rocky George years the best too... but that album has a certain feel to it that was great
(at that moment in time).

Rocky is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. Sucks that after SS broke up, he went away from metal.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

Bad re-recordings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad re-recordings   Bad re-recordings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad re-recordings
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next