Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?

Go down 
+23
metalinmyveins
Sabbath In Solitude
Ben Grimm
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
nevermore
Required Fields
Lurideath
assault_attack
Troublezone
Metal Misfit
James B.
Temple of Blood
UltraMagnus007
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
skullsmasher
MoonChild
MetalGuy71
mc666
kmorg
manny
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 10:42 pm

Just picked up Forbidden again a few days ago, and while not top shelf Black Sabbath, its nowhere near a bad album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 10:48 pm

I don't know if anyone can shed any light on this question, but is there any word whether any of the non Ozzy/Dio Black Sabbath stuff will be re-released (as in remastered)? I would love to pick up some of this stuff, but I know as soon as I do, there probably will be another box set involving these other incarnations of Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 10:51 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I don't know if anyone can shed any light on this question, but is there any word whether any of the non Ozzy/Dio Black Sabbath stuff will be re-released (as in remastered)? I would love to pick up some of this stuff, but I know as soon as I do, there probably will be another box set involving these other incarnations of Black Sabbath.

It was rumoured, that there would be a third box with Born Again up through Forbidden, but I have yet to see anything about it. Would be pretty cool though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought Forbidden was an outright stinkfest. Really a shame that it might close out the discog and be the final Sabbath album. Wish this new one had that honor instead. Can't say I really like any of 'em with Martin, except for Cross Purposes. And, it's not that I don't like him as a vocalist. I do. A bunch. I think he's the only one that sounds really good singing stuff from the different eras. Actually, I'm not familiar with Headless Cross or Eternal Idol. So, can't pass judg. on those. Was he on both? I had Tyr on cassette, gave it repeat plays but wasn't feeling it. Which was with Glenn Hughes? I thought that one was EI. The 80's just were not a good time for a band like Sabbath. Way too glossy of a timeframe for essentially a Doom band to thrive.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Marc, to answer your question Tony Martin sang on Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, TYR, Cross Purposes, Forbidden, and a limited edition live CD/VHS combo Cross Purposes live, all with the exception of 'Forbidden' worth looking into.

As far as a boxset of Black Sabbath material including only the Tony Martin years, no plans at the moment but you never know, but I doubt that will happen since 'Eternal Idol' was released thru Warner Bros and the rest of the albums where released thru the short lived I.R.S.Metal label, but you never know with the interest in all things metal reaching a fever pitch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 9:38 pm

I've heard that there will be a "Black Box 3" released by Rhino containing all the remaining Sabbath albums not covered in the first two boxes. However, there is no scheduled release date at the moment, it's just "planned" at this point.

Regarding Forbidden, I think there are two really fantastic songs on that disc "Can't Get Close Enough" and "Kiss Of Death"...besides those two tracks it's pretty pedestrian.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Tony Martin gets no respect.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 10:57 pm

detuned wrote:
I've heard that there will be a "Black Box 3" released by Rhino containing all the remaining Sabbath albums not covered in the first two boxes. However, there is no scheduled release date at the moment, it's just "planned" at this point.

Regarding Forbidden, I think there are two really fantastic songs on that disc "Can't Get Close Enough" and "Kiss Of Death"...besides those two tracks it's pretty pedestrian.

I dunno, I thought "Sick And Tired" was actually a pretty decent track as well, or at least something that stands out more from the album
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 1:00 am

I like Forbidden a lot, can't really explain it, it just grew on me.......like moss!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 1:37 am

candlemass wrote:
I like Forbidden a lot, can't really explain it, it just grew on me.......like moss!

Sleep
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 8:48 am

Troublezone wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Sleep

Indeed, it is a sleeper, kind of creeps up on ya! Cool
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 am

I have had 'Forbidden' for years and I tend to play it from time to time and still do not care for it, and I am huge Black Sabbath fanboy but this album did nothing for me. I'll have to dig out again and give it another spin and see if I can listen to it with a fresher perspective.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:11 am

I think the real problem w/this lp, like Seventh Star, is that it went out as a Black Sabbath lp. Neither lp's sound like Sabbath and would have been better suited for release under the "Iommi" moniker.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 am

candlemass wrote:
I think the real problem w/this lp, like Seventh Star, is that it went out as a Black Sabbath lp. Neither lp's sound like Sabbath and would have been better suited for release under the "Iommi" moniker.

I can't disagree, and I have heard that same comment made regarding all the post-Born Again releases, that they should have been released as Tony Iommi and not as Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:37 pm

candlemass wrote:

See, I wouldnt even really go that far. "Seventh Star" was written quite well, despite it not sounding like Sabbath. "Forbidden" is quite a study in mediocrity in general, just reeks of contract fulfillment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:40 pm

No one is going to agree with me on this, but there are 2 trilogies of perfection with Black sabbath, in my opinion.

Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, Live Evil

and

Seventh Star, The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross

Throw in We Sold Our Soul For RNR and that's all the Sabbath you truly need.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 pm

DeathCult wrote:
candlemass wrote:

See, I wouldnt even really go that far. "Seventh Star" was written quite well, despite it not sounding like Sabbath. "Forbidden" is quite a study in mediocrity in general, just reeks of contract fulfillment.

I always felt it was a throw away album, Iommi and his line up lotion boys didnot even bother to tour or promote the album.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
No one is going to agree with me on this, but there are 2 trilogies of perfection with Black sabbath, in my opinion.

Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, Live Evil

and

Seventh Star, The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross

Throw in We Sold Our Soul For RNR and that's all the Sabbath you truly need.

You forgot one:
Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Black-Sabbath-Born-Again-199378
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 pm

manny wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
candlemass wrote:

I always felt it was a throw away album, Iommi and his line up lotion boys didnot even bother to tour or promote the album.

I believe Martin himself directly said, after it was done, Iommi directly split to do the reunion with Ozzy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Quote :
You forgot one:

No I didn't. Cool
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:46 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
You forgot one:

No I didn't. Cool

Yep, it should go:

Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, Born Again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 1:40 pm

DeathCult wrote:

I believe Martin himself directly said, after it was done, Iommi directly split to do the reunion with Ozzy.[/quote]

Not true, they did tour and promote the lp, in fact I have a DVD of that tour. Read "Never Say Die."

What really killed that lp was the inclusion of Ice T and Martin's pseudo rap style on "Illusion of Power."

Last edited by candlemass on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 2:44 pm

I saw the Forbidden tour in Seattle (Motorhead was the opening act), it was a great show. They even did The Wizard!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 3:02 pm

I stand corrected, I thought they threw the album out there and quickly Iommi and the record label buried it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next