Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)

Go down 
+14
journeyman
fingers
SAHB Healer
Chairman_Smith
mc666
krokus
MoonChild
Mglaffas81
Temple of Blood
iamrockerfun
Invader
caniplaywithmadness?
nevermore
candlemass
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Eternal Idol - 8.5
Headless Cross - 8.5
TYR - 8
Cross Purposes - 7.5
Forbidden - 6.5
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 2:38 pm

For me it would be:
Tyr
Eternal Idol
Headless Cross
Cross Purposes
Forbidden
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 3:11 pm

i was listening to headless cross yesterday actually. i don't mind martin-era sabbath but it doesn't measure up to dio or ozzy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 4:49 pm

Eternal Idol - 10
Headless Cross - 8
TYR - 10
Cross Purposes - 9
Forbidden - 5

The Tony Martin was my favorite era of Sabbath. Yes, even more than Dio. 4 great Martin albums beats 2 excellent DIO albums and a turd any day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 4:52 pm

TYR 11
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 5:00 pm

I only own Headless Cross from Tony Martin era, and it is a good album.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 5:13 pm

Cross Purpose - 10/10
( best song - Hand that Rocks the Cradle )

Headless - 8/10
Forbidden - 1/10
Eternal - 3/10
Tyr - 4/10
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 8:15 pm

Eternal Idol - 7
Headless Cross - 8.5
TYR - 10
Cross Purposes - 8
Forbidden - 6.5
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 12:04 am

Excellent era'! very under rated.

TYR
Headless Cross
Eternal Idol
Cross Purposes
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 4:39 am

Cross Purposes
TYR
Headless Cross
Eternal Idol
Forbidden

I agree that this era was very under-rated.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 5:09 am

Eternal Idol - 8.5
Headless Cross - 9
TYR - 9
Cross Purposes - 8
Forbidden - DONT HAVE IT.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 5:58 am

the Martin stuff was sadly unappreciated & often overlooked.

Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 9:35 am

I just listened to the live album he did with them, and its great
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Just a shame that they mailed it in for that last LP, it has grown on me to where I enjoy it, couple of keepers on there, but they could've done so much better!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 7:17 pm

I agree about Forbidden. Not so good in total, but a couple of killer songs (Kiss of Death, etc.) I actually like it except for a couple of really dumb moments (Ice Tea, etc).

Eternal Idol 10
Headless Cross 8
Tyr 8
Forbidden 7
Cross Purposes 7

best song...the 3 part "Valhalla" suite from TYR. That song is the only thing that can get me out of the house and down the road on a blizzardy day like today. "Riding the cold, cold, winds of Valhalla"
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 8:56 pm

My pics for the box set:

The Shinning
Ancient Warrior
Hard Life To Love
Nightmare
Eternal Idol
The Gates of Hell/Headless Cross
Devil & Daughter
When Death Calls
Black Moon
Nightwing
Anno Mundi
Jerusalem
The Sabbath Stones
Heaven In Black
I Wittness
Cross of Thorns
Immaculate Deception
Virtual Death
Cardinal Sin
Can't Get Close Enough
Shaking Off The Chains
I Won't Cry For You
Rusty Angels
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 5:57 am

Eternal Idol is 1 of my favourite metal albums of all time but the rest of Tony Martin's catalogue isnt that memorable
but still very good bascically Tony Martin is Ronnie James Dio minus the charisma I do however think the best era technically is ozzy era (well the 1st 5 albums) because they were so ahead of their time and the riffs were very fresh and original and also how those albums completely changed the landscape name me 1 metal and grunge band from the 70s and 80s that wasnt influenced by those albums not only that how eerie and heavy the lyrics, the sound and the riffs were for that time and the shock it had on the genral public. I know bythese days black sabbath doesnt comes across as eerie as it did back in the 70s but if you really listen to the songs they still do sound heavy, full on and do give you goosebumps and make you think
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 9:42 am

Cross Purposes
Eternal Idol
Headless Cross

...Of the one's I have.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 11:38 am

fingers wrote:
Eternal Idol is 1 of my favourite metal albums of all time but the rest of Tony Martin's catalogue isnt that memorable
but still very good bascically Tony Martin is Ronnie James Dio minus the charisma I do however think the best era technically is ozzy era (well the 1st 5 albums) because they were so ahead of their time and the riffs were very fresh and original and also how those albums completely changed the landscape name me 1 metal and grunge band from the 70s and 80s that wasnt influenced by those albums not only that how eerie and heavy the lyrics, the sound and the riffs were for that time and the shock it had on the genral public. I know bythese days black sabbath doesnt comes across as eerie as it did back in the 70s but if you really listen to the songs they still do sound heavy, full on and do give you goosebumps and make you think

I'll agree w/most of this, save the remark about the other Tony Martin LP's, not memorable? Headless Cross is full of memorable songs and hooks, as well as TYR, many claim these as their best two and lament that this line-up did not record a third LP.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 3:54 pm

iamrockerfun wrote:
Cross Purpose - 10/10

Headless - 8/10
Forbidden - 1/10
Eternal - 3/10
Tyr - 4/10

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqwx5BpdCq8
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 4:01 pm

candlemass wrote:
iamrockerfun wrote:
Cross Purpose - 10/10

Headless - 8/10
Forbidden - 1/10
Eternal - 3/10
Tyr - 4/10

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqwx5BpdCq8

fantasic riff! one of iommis best
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 4:16 pm

the eternal idol is on my list
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I've NEVER heard Tony Martin Sabbath, I guess I should. I'll put some on my want list (should get to it in about a year, considering my current budget won't allow for probably 1/4 of what I got last year).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:07 pm

I've got a live boot from the "Headless Cross" tour that is a great show in the first place, but at the end, he invites Ian Gillan up on stage and they do a duet on Smoke On The Water and Paranoid as encores. 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:17 pm

DeathCult wrote:
I've got a live boot from the "Headless Cross" tour that is a great show in the first place, but at the end, he invites Ian Gillan up on stage and they do a duet on Smoke On The Water and Paranoid as encores. 🤘

I saw that tour here in Cleveland, great show, my only beef was they performed nothing from the "Eternal Idol" LP?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)   Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath (The Tony Martin Years)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next