Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?

Go down 
+23
metalinmyveins
Sabbath In Solitude
Ben Grimm
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
nevermore
Required Fields
Lurideath
assault_attack
Troublezone
Metal Misfit
James B.
Temple of Blood
UltraMagnus007
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
skullsmasher
MoonChild
MetalGuy71
mc666
kmorg
manny
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 9:31 am

I am personally a fan of Tony Martin Black Sabbath years and I feel that The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Tyr , and Cross Purposes contain some great material, and Tony Martin years were unfairly overlooked, do you agree or disagree and why?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 11:37 am

I run hot/cold on this stuff. I think if they had been billed as Tony Iommi solo albums it wouldn't bother me as much. Some of the material is really good...some is pretty boring. Martin has a good voice but I think he sounds better on the mellower material. I saw this lineup in Seattle on the Forbidden tour (with Motorhead opening).

I think the better lineup is the one with Glenn Hughes. I love Seventh Star and The DEP Sessions, Fused was pretty good but a little forced on some of the material. I hope they get a chance to record again as I think Hughes is one of the most underrated rock vocalists.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 11:46 am

Love the first 3, especially The Headless Cross

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 11:54 am

kmorg wrote:
Love the first 3, especially The Headless Cross
The Headless Cross was definitely the best of the Martin bunch. classic Sabbath.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 11:56 am

A buddy of mine gave me a cdr of one of the Tony Martin discs (I don't recall which one) and it didn't do anything for me. I like Sabbath with Ozzy. Even with Dio or the Born Again disc with Gillian, which I love, to me, I almost don't think of them as Sabbath discs.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 12:11 pm

Headless Cross is awesome, I like TYR, Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes as well.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:05 pm

I really like all 3 of these. The Headless Cross is a killer album. With the exception of Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules I have probably listened to it the most. Sabbath have always been one of my favorite bands in all of there different phases.

Like MetalGuy71 stated above "I almost don't think of them as Sabbath discs." I agree they seem like different bands when the singer changes in Sabbath. I try not to compare the line ups with previous ones and make a judgement as to if I like it by the albums own merit and content. They all have something to offer IMO.

A FANTASTIC band over the years.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:18 pm

'Headless Cross' is really good, though a few songs are a little samey sounding. I think people just got turned off to the revolving door of members and the "80's ness" of that period's sound, with the odd sounding drums and some of the keyboards, but it's still great stuff. 'When Death Calls', classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Interesting, Headless Cross is actually the album I like the least out of the batch. Oh well, different strokes I guess.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 2:11 pm

I like 'em, TYR is my fave of the Tony Martin era.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 3:38 pm

I have agree if the cds had been called Iommi or anything else they may have been given more of chance, in reality I love these CDS with Tony Martin, but they are in reality The Tony Iommi Project than Black Sabbath but he did no shame to the name, and with good management and better promotion I think these CDS would have sold better,
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 3:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
A buddy of mine gave me a cdr of one of the Tony Martin discs (I don't recall which one) and it didn't do anything for me. I like Sabbath with Ozzy. Even with Dio or the Born Again disc with Gillian, which I love, to me, I almost don't think of them as Sabbath discs.

MetalGuy if you get a chance give " The Eternal Idol" another spin and you may change your mind in regards to the Tony Martin years, thou I do agree I almost think of them of as The Tony Iommi project than Black Sabbath albums.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 3:46 pm

The Tony Martin era is awesome, some really good strong albums were made with this very talented vocalist. Something always overlooked because of Dio is that Tony Martin was actually the 2nd longest standing vocalist with Sabbath and IMO this era would have got far more recognition in the Sabbath cannon if they hadn't tried the awful short lived Dio reunion with Dehumanizer, a good album but far from great.

What with the recent Heaven and Hell activity the Tony Martin years gets overlooked again as everyone seems to look at Sabbath in just 2 ways, the Ozzy years and the Dio years.

Also, check out Tony Martins 2 solo albums, cracking stuff especially his latest one released about 3 or 4 years ago called Scream.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 3:54 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

MetalGuy if you get a chance give " The Eternal Idol" another spin and you may change your mind in regards to the Tony Martin years, thou I do agree I almost think of them of as The Tony Iommi project than Black Sabbath albums.

I'll have to look when I get home and see which one I have. It's either Eternal Idol or Headless Cross. I'm sure it's not bad, but it's just not the one I go to if I want to hear some Sabbath. Perhaps I should give it another shot.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 4:00 pm

UltraMagnus007 wrote:
The Tony Martin era is awesome, some really good strong albums were made with this very talented vocalist. Something always overlooked because of Dio is that Tony Martin was actually the 2nd longest standing vocalist with Sabbath and IMO this era would have got far more recognition in the Sabbath cannon if they hadn't tried the awful short lived Dio reunion with Dehumanizer, a good album but far from great.

What with the recent Heaven and Hell activity the Tony Martin years gets overlooked again as everyone seems to look at Sabbath in just 2 ways, the Ozzy years and the Dio years.

Also, check out Tony Martins 2 solo albums, cracking stuff especially his latest one released about 3 or 4 years ago called Scream.

Thanks for letting me know of Tony Martin's solo career I will definitley check it out, and I think if they called it Iommi it would have received more attention, but I think the Martin years had some excellent material that has been sadly overlooked.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:51 pm

I found this clip of Tony Martin fronting a Black Sabbath version with Iommi, Butler, and Ward, I didn't even know this lineup of Sabbath ever existed, maybe this one gig only where Bill Ward was playing in the place of Cozy Powell, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZlI1Ts6qbk&feature=related
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 6:11 pm

This must have been from the Cross Purposes tour, Bobby Rondinelli was the drummer on the album and I know he did at least part of the tour...I'm guessing something came up and Bill Ward filled in.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 6:32 pm

detuned wrote:
This must have been from the Cross Purposes tour, Bobby Rondinelli was the drummer on the album and I know he did at least part of the tour...I'm guessing something came up and Bill Ward filled in.

Thank you for the correction that is right Bobby Rondinelli is on the album and live VHS of Cross Purposes release, I thought it was a very cool clip.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 10:19 pm

'Cross Purposes' is the king of the lot...but they're all good...Tony Martin rules...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 10:29 pm

One of the things I just found in storage was my VHS copy of the live Cross Purposes gig...I'll have to play that one sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 10:46 pm

\m/ \m/
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 10:54 pm

good stuff

I came across a Sabbath box set called Under Wheels Of Confusion 1970-1987

It gave me the motivation to check out the Tony stuff more in depth. For whatever reason ? I let all that stuff go by when it first came out.

Laterz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:00 pm

There is another volume of the Black Box planned. All the Sabbath material that didn't belong in either the Ozzy or Dio boxes. So it should have Born Again, Seventh Star and all the Tony Martin discs in it.

There are also a bunch of Sabbath vinyl reissues on the way. Paranoid is already out, soon to be followed by the other early Ozzy albums...plus they are also putting Heaven & Hell and The Mob Rules out.

These are actual Warner Bros/Rhino reissues...not the cheapo Earmark imports.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:10 pm

detuned wrote:
There is another volume of the Black Box planned. All the Sabbath material that didn't belong in either the Ozzy or Dio boxes. So it should have Born Again, Seventh Star and all the Tony Martin discs in it.

There are also a bunch of Sabbath vinyl reissues on the way. Paranoid is already out, soon to be followed by the other early Ozzy albums...plus they are also putting Heaven & Hell and The Mob Rules out.

These are actual Warner Bros/Rhino reissues...not the cheapo Earmark imports.

Thanks man....I have to replace a few of my Sabbath vinyl
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:54 pm

The Martin years were great. Headless Cross is my fave. I've actually been thinking about cranking those again for the last weeek or two. Maybe it's time I do it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next