Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?

Go down 
+23
metalinmyveins
Sabbath In Solitude
Ben Grimm
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
nevermore
Required Fields
Lurideath
assault_attack
Troublezone
Metal Misfit
James B.
Temple of Blood
UltraMagnus007
akeldama
Orion Crystal Ice
skullsmasher
MoonChild
MetalGuy71
mc666
kmorg
manny
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 2:00 am

I like all of them except the "Forbidden" record. My top favorites are Headless Cross, Cross Purposes and Eternal Idol. Tyr is good too.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Big fan here also! I believe I have every song Tony has released Sab or other. The Rondinelli CD w/Tony is a must IMHO.

Tony almost falls into the JLT catogory, He will always be compaired to those before him.

I think Tony was the only Sab singer who can sing all era's of the band live. Dio butchered the Ozzy era, Ian G. could not do the Dio songs, Glenn, Well Glenn was having a hard time period with everything.........
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:37 pm

For me Black Sabbath is my favorite band regardless of who the vocalist is. I am a fan of all era's. The only album I dislike from the Tony Martin era is "Forbidden" which is truly horrible to me! Love all the others he was on though, especially Headless Cross!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 5:48 pm

This line up of Black Sabbath was unfairly judged due to Tony Martin not being Ozzy or Dio. It also didn't help that during this time Black Sabbath's management problems caused them to cancel tours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:10 pm

NIGHTWING FLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEESS AGAAAAAAAAIINN!!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:48 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

\m/ \m/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

\m/ \m/

:bangyerhead:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 1:32 pm

Damn, you guys are going to cause me to go back out and re-purchase these albums again. :swear:

The only one I still have a copy of is Eternal Idol.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Eternal Idol is really good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Tony Martin is an excellent singer. I think all the Sabbath albums with him performing are great. My favorite is The Eternal Idol. I think they're all better than the last couple with Ozzy.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:35 pm

detuned Black Sabbath with Tony Martin are all worth getting but avoid "Forbidden" unless you are a completist.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:41 pm

I really like The Headless Cross and Tyr alot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:44 pm

manny wrote:
detuned Black Sabbath with Tony Martin are all worth getting but avoid "Forbidden" unless you are a completist.

I used to own all of them, but they went away during my CD purge of 1998. I actually saw them on the Forbidden tour, those tunes sounded better live than on the album. The opening act was Motorhead.

My favorite is actually TYR.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:59 pm

TYR excellent CD, I like the music better on "Headless Cross' but it seems Tony Martin tired to hard on that album to write lyrics that he felt matched Black Sabbath's image, songs such as "When Death Calls" and the title track for example, where on 'TYR" IMO he seemed like was writing lyrics that were suiting his style. Both great albums and Cozy Powell's drum work on those albums was some of his best.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm

Headless Cross is my favorite, I just started revisiting these albums a couple of days ago, wish I never got rid of em now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 6:47 pm

I like them all, but Eternal Idol is my favorite. In fact it's definitely a desert island classic around here. I don't compare the different vocalists/eras of Sabbath. They are all great and all unique to what they did.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Eternal Idol is also my favorite from Tony Martin era, followed by a very close second by 'Headless Cross". Eternal Idol stock has been rising among fans and critics in the last few years so hopefully more fans will discover this classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 6:53 pm

I remember when Forbidden was a new release and the reviews just slayed it. I always enjoyed the song Guilty as Hell. I have all the Martin albums, but I just feel his voice lacks power at times. I agree that Headless Cross is the best of them.

My personal favourite Sabbath era is Heaven and Hell through to Seventh Star. I know there are three different vocalist in that stretch, but I'm a big fan of each album released during that time.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Not a bad era to pick at all. I'm the Born Again king after all, just ask Spec.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 7:28 pm

VaughanGF wrote:
I remember when Forbidden was a new release and the reviews just slayed it.

Forbidden has some really weak moments, but I really like some of the songs on that. Fave is "Kiss of Death", but there are a couple of other songs I like too.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 12:09 am

DeathCult wrote:
Headless Cross is my favorite, I just started revisiting these albums a couple of days ago, wish I never got rid of em now.

I went through all the non Ozzy/Dio albums last week (all besides Forbidden, I can't find it)... Killer stuff!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Listening to TYR this morning and I think this album sounds better now than it did when it was initially released. Sometimes the passage of time helps you to hear things in a different context. When TYR came out we were all still waiting for some version of classic Sabbath to reunite...so every release that only featured Iommi was like "oh, another one". Thus all of these albums were kind of brushed off when they came out.

But here in 2008 we've had reunions of the Ozzy lineup and the Dio lineup (despite the name change) is in the studio getting ready to release a new album.

So all of a sudden our perceptions of this Tony Martin edition (as well as the Gillan and Hughes lineups) can focus on the MUSIC instead of all the other surrounding issues.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 am

Bump:

Thanks to Joe Seigler's excellent Black Sabbath site (black-sabbath.com) I learned some interesting tidbits about these albums.

Bonus tracks (either b-sides or Japanese only):

Some Kind Of Woman (b-side of The Shining single)
Black Moon (b-side of The Shining single - rerecorded for Headless Cross)
Cloak & Dagger (released on picture disc of Headless Cross)
What's The Use (Japanese bonus track from Cross Purposes)
Loser Gets It All (Japanese bonus track from Forbidden, also on The Sabbath Stones)

Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 7:32 pm

I have most of the Martin years albums, they are good, definately some brighter moments here and there, and a lot of average moments. I have them mostly because they are Black Sabbath. He walked into a bad gig, following Ozzy and Dio he was set up. He is just not in the same league.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Sabbath In Solitude
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sabbath In Solitude

Number of posts : 79

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 am

Lurideath wrote:
For me Black Sabbath is my favorite band regardless of who the vocalist is. I am a fan of all era's. The only album I dislike from the Tony Martin era is "Forbidden" which is truly horrible to me! Love all the others he was on though, especially Headless Cross!

Thats what I used to think,but a while back I gave it another spin,Guilty As Hell is now IMO one of the best Tony Martin era songs,Illusion Of Power is still just awful,Sick and Tired is cool if like me you liked the Hughes vocals,the last two tracks are not bad either,enh,I would call it half good.......btw,totally agree with the first two sentences....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabbsteve aka The Planet Doom
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?   Black Sabbath Tony Martin years? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath Tony Martin years?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next