Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Biggest Disappointment

Go down 
+29
Eyesore
7thSecond
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
James B.
Thrasher73
Thelemech
Lari
CRIMSONMASK
Hadley
nevermore
glassprison
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
candlemass
Glower
Olafsto
akeldama
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Wrecked Neck
Boris2008
Troublezone
Witchfinder
brokentulsa
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
the sentinel
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Hqdefault

Seriously, what was this pile of crap? After 3 great, kick ass albums we get the album that killed them.

Great pick! What a disaster.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 am

Thrasher73 wrote:

Seriously, what was this pile of crap? After 3 great, kick ass albums we get the album that killed them.

The odd/ weird thing with that album is the one that came out only a year before was killer and in the same vein as Hellacious and the S/T and this is like a totally different band. The album is terrible, but it would make more sense to me if there had been a long layoff between this one and the previous or some type of membership changes that affected song writing and sound. Maybe it was an attempt to fit into another genre? If so, I would have thought they would have tried that on the previous release. But, oh, well. This one is a collection filler only.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 9:47 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Psycho Circus - KISS

Ooh yeah, I can't believe I forgot that one... after the badass Reunion Tour, there was so much hype for a new album and it turned out to be a half baked piece of crap. :cheese:

I can't personally call that one a disappointment but I call it a "meh" as I really like the title track and "Raise Your Glasses," and "We Are One" are good tunes to my ears as well.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 am

the sentinel wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Psycho Circus - KISS

Ooh yeah, I can't believe I forgot that one... after the badass Reunion Tour, there was so much hype for a new album and it turned out to be a half baked piece of crap. :cheese:

I can't personally call that one a disappointment but I call it a "meh" as I really like the title track and "Raise Your Glasses," and "We Are One" are good tunes to my ears as well.

I've often said that if Psycho Circus had been an EP consisting of the title track, "Within," "I Pledge Allegiance...," "Into the Void," and "You Wanted The Best," I would be singing its praises to this day.

Unfortunately for each of the songs that I do like, there's an equally lame track canceling it out and dragging down the album as a whole.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 am

Then just listen to those tracks and imagine the rest as bonus tracks.

I can't understand how having LESS songs can improve an album. I prefer to have as much as possible on one CD rather than collecting 6 singles because of exclusive b-sides.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 10:51 am

Lari wrote:

I can't understand how having LESS songs can improve an album. I prefer to have as much as possible on one CD rather than collecting 6 singles because of exclusive b-sides.

I dunno, I've always been an "album guy" not a "songs guy." I rarely skip thru an album just to hear the stuff I "like," I like to start at the beginning and listen to it thru to the end as a whole work.

I suppose that means I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive, but ... (shrugs) I gotta be me. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 am

the sentinel wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:

The odd/ weird thing with that album is the one that came out only a year before was killer and in the same vein as Hellacious and the S/T and this is like a totally different band. The album is terrible, but it would make more sense to me if there had been a long layoff between this one and the previous or some type of membership changes that affected song writing and sound. Maybe it was an attempt to fit into another genre? If so, I would have thought they would have tried that on the previous release. But, oh, well. This one is a collection filler only.

Yeah I think this is where they tried to fit into the grunge or alternative era. They were fed up with the whole label business on Pissed and you can definitely hear it on that album.I guess with this one it was a " If you can't beat em, join em" mentality. Haha
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Lari wrote:

Lari, I know what you mean, but if those songs suck (to that particular listener) then it would improve the overall quality for the listener. I also see Freddy's point as well, as I too (and a lot of us here probably) like to listen to a "whole" albuma and have the experience. I do this a lot in the car where I let a disc finish before popping in the next one.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:

Yeah I think this is where they tried to fit into the grunge or alternative era. They were fed up with the whole label business on Pissed and you can definitely hear it on that album.I guess with this one it was a " If you can't beat em, join em" mentality. Haha

True dat. Laughing It's funny cuz when Warramt did it with "Dog Eat Dog" I remember the dude behind the counter at the local store saying how it was about time they finally got some balss and got heavier. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2018 6:52 pm

I've never even heard that Dangerous Toys album. The bad word of mouth on it when it came out was more than enough to keep me away.

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 1:51 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've never even heard that Dangerous Toys album. The bad word of mouth on it when it came out was more than enough to keep me away.

You don't wanna hear it. Just pretend it doesn't exist. Haha!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 8:32 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Feast your ears on this gem:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Forgot about this one, and I think I mentioned them somewhere on this site once a while back, but Jesters of Destiny was a band I thought I would love. They had a song on metal massacre V that I still think is one of the best songs on the album. Never could find the album the song was from way back when, so I was stuck wondering what the rest of it sounded like.

Years later I saw a copy of metal massacre V in a record store so I bought it, and heard that song again. Now being the day of the internet, just about anything is available with a few mouse clicks. So a couple of searches later I found a copy on eBay for something like six bucks, still sealed. I grabbed it quicker that shit and eagerly awaited what I thought would be a great album. Yeah, boy was I wrong.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTYlBonGjxIFtRCqkVhgarka4NvWNmfrc

Horrible album imo, but still love this song.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 7182UxUHZOL._SY355_

To quote from the No Life Til metal review, "David Raymond Reeves is a great singer, but at times he almost sounds like he may be singing drunk."
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Feast your ears on this gem:

I like me some grunge a la Soundgarden, AIC or early Pearl Jam but that song is just awful.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 6:12 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Lari wrote:
A couple more, pretty much on par with that Avalon album:

Black Sabbath - Seventh Star. I like Glenn Hughes, I like melodic heavy metal / hard rock and I had heard the title track. Figured this would be right up my alley. It wasn't. I found it boring as hell.

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality. Amplified by the terrible muddy production, this was a giant step down from the sleek yet powerful Dead Heart album.

Poisonblack - Of Rust and Bones. I'm a big Sentenced fan, and I was of course buying and liking Poisonblack albums too, once Sentenced retired. They were all good, until this one. It's very stock, lifeless and boring, with maybe 2 tracks that are worth listening to, and those can't carry an album. This was also the last Poisonblack CD I ever bought.

Therion - Sitra Ahra. I loved the albums before this. Gothic Kabbalah was a masterpiece in my opinion. But this one doesn't grab me at all. I've tried so many times, and I think it's actually just bad.
Mostly just massive songs that don't go nowhere, and there's a few that do but they don't give you the sense of surprise previous Therion records did. Nothing here that I find interesting. Might be the last Therion CD I ever buy...

HAHAHAHA!  I should have listed Gothic Turd as one of my biggest disappointments.  I loved Lemuria/Sirius B but then that Jethro Tull-like metal prog monstrosity Gothic Kabbalah came out and I was like "WT ever-lovin' F is this s***??????"  Man I hate that album.  I actually thought Sitra Ahra was a step up but I agree most of the songs seem kind of aimless.  I used to call Therion my favorite band until GK.  I tried like hell for over a year to like that album but with no success.  After that I just gave up and decided I'll always think Gothic Kabbalah sucks.  I still play Vovin, Deggial, Secret Of The Runes, Crowning Of Atlantis and of course Lemuria/Sirius B all the time but I haven't given Therion the time of day after that.  Especially after that weird French pop music album they did a year or two ago.

Maybe it helped me that the Gothic Kabbalah was my first Therion album. I picked it up on my trip to Stockholm and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the music. I had to dig deeper after hearing it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 6:17 pm

I know a lot of people who love Gothic Kabbalah but I just personally hated it because it seemed like such a change in direction from the supremely excellent Lemuria/Sirius B. 

I hope you found a lot more to like after digging deeper into the Therion catalogue. Even though I don't listen to much symphonic metal anymore I still think Therion are the masters of the genre.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2018 9:17 pm

When The Mirror Cracked by Q5

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 6:56 am

tohostudios wrote:
I know a lot of people who love Gothic Kabbalah but I just personally hated it because it seemed like such a change in direction from the supremely excellent Lemuria/Sirius B. 

I hope you found a lot more to like after digging deeper into the Therion catalogue. Even though I don't listen to much symphonic metal anymore I still think Therion are the masters of the genre.

I also saw them live on the Kabbalah tour. Then quickly bought Lemuria and Sirius B, and was hooked.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 7:26 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Forgot about this one, and I think I mentioned them somewhere on this site once a while back, but Jesters of Destiny was a band I thought I would love. They had a song on metal massacre V that I still think is one of the best songs on the album. Never could find the album the song was from way back when, so I was stuck wondering what the rest of it sounded like.

Years later I saw a copy of metal massacre V in a record store so I bought it, and heard that song again. Now being the day of the internet, just about anything is available with a few mouse clicks. So a couple of searches later I found a copy on eBay for something like six bucks, still sealed. I grabbed it quicker that shit and eagerly awaited what I thought would be a great album. Yeah, boy was I wrong.

I went through this exact scenario with Jesters of Destiny!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 7:30 am

"And, in the Just As Bad As The Artist Formerly Known As Dangerous Toys category,  I give you..."

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 3:41 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:

I went through this exact scenario with Jesters of Destiny!
Same end result too? Or did you end up liking the album? I tried to give it a couple more listens a few months ago, and liked it better the second time, but still pretty bad IMO.

Cool Jeff Spicoli quote in your Sig btw \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Nah, man. I got it from Monte [MC666] and was royally bummed!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Well there are quite a few for me but the biggest ones were

Black Sabbath - Forbidden (Serious pile of shit)
WASP - KFD
Slayer - Diabolus In Musica
Celtic Frost - Cold Lake
Obituary - World Demise
Deicide - In Torment, In Hell
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 5:13 pm

glassprison wrote:
Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 7182UxUHZOL._SY355_

To quote from the No Life Til metal review, "David Raymond Reeves is a great singer, but at times he almost sounds like he may be singing drunk."

I agree with this too! That 1stalbum was killer then they seemed to not care and this was and is garbage!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biggest Disappointment
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next