Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Biggest Disappointment

Go down 
+29
Eyesore
7thSecond
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
James B.
Thrasher73
Thelemech
Lari
CRIMSONMASK
Hadley
nevermore
glassprison
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
candlemass
Glower
Olafsto
akeldama
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Wrecked Neck
Boris2008
Troublezone
Witchfinder
brokentulsa
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
the sentinel
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
For me:
Fates Warning - Disconnected (still can't get into this one, but maybe it's better than FWX?)

Can't really say I was disappointed by Disconnected, but its definitely on of those albums you only play in a certain mood.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Quiet Riot, as a band overall. I was just getting into metal (around 13-14 old), and Cum On Feel The Noize was like my favorite song ever back then, thanks to GTA Vice City. After I finally found out who played it, and after I bought Metal Health on cd, which wasn't exactly easy to do, all I've got was 2 songs (title track and coftn). Sadly QR never came even close to those two songs, ever.

Check out Slade. You will get the best two songs QR ever did and a whole load of other cool stuff! Razz
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Metallica - Black Album (when my youthful Metallica fanaticism came to a screeching halt)
Motley Crue - Theater of Pain (my first lesson in a favorite band "selling out")
Def Leppard - Hysteria (I waited four years for this overproduced pop slop? Bleah)
Aerosmith - Get A Grip (Hey fellas, your formula is showing...)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 pm

As much as I hate to say it, my choice has to be Tom Keifer's The Way Life Goes. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a decent album, and, as a huge Cinderella fan, I listen to songs off of it on almost a weekly basis. That said, I was expecting much more for an album that took something like 20 years to make. I had been following rumors about the status of the album for probably 15 years on the old Cinderella forum, so I suppose that played into my initial reaction to it as well.

My biggest complaint is the production. It's so compressed that it's hard to listen to the full album all the way through. The new recordings on the deluxe edition sound better, but unfortunately they didn't try to make the album cuts any better.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Motley Crue - Generation Swine
Metallica - St. Anger (too easy a choice I know)
Raven - The Pack Is Back
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Aerosmith-Just Push Play
Stryper-In God We Trust (i've since warmed up to it, but this was my first exposure to Stryper and it nearly turned me off of them, good thing I picked up Yellow and Black Attack and Soldiers Under Command months later).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 6:20 pm

glassprison wrote:
As much as I hate to say it, my choice has to be Tom Keifer's The Way Life Goes. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a decent album, and, as a huge Cinderella fan, I listen to songs off of it on almost a weekly basis. That said, I was expecting much more for an album that took something like 20 years to make. I had been following rumors about the status of the album for probably 15 years on the old Cinderella forum, so I suppose that played into my initial reaction to it as well.

My biggest complaint is the production. It's so compressed that it's hard to listen to the full album all the way through. The new recordings on the deluxe edition sound better, but unfortunately they didn't try to make the album cuts any better.

That one disappointed me too even though I'm not as big a Cinderella fan as you are.  I'm not sure what I was expecting (maybe something like Heartbreak Station Redux) but for whatever reason the album just didn't click with me like I thought it would.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Hadley wrote:
Stryper-In God We Trust (i've since warmed up to it, but this was my first exposure to Stryper and it nearly turned me off of them, good thing I picked up Yellow and Black Attack and Soldiers Under Command months later).

Other than the title track, it's pretty lame, easily their worst effort.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 pm

You had VH kicking all kinds of ass, and Sammy was no slouch either. Him and Eddie playing "Rock-n-Roll" at Live Aid(or wherever). How could combining the two not be be EPIC???

Why Can't This Be Love

That's how.

VH, for me, ceased to exist after 1984. What took it's place was a Foreigner tribute band called Van Hagar
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 11:24 pm

I already knew about a lot of the classic let-down albums, and had read reviews before buying, so I can't say I was disappointed after hearing them.

For me, it's Timo Tolkki's Avalon and "Angels of the Apocalypse", the 2nd album.

The first one (Land of New Hope) was great. I loved it. Great sounding album, with terrific vocalists and catchy songs. I bought it after seeing the promo video - but because the whole album was so good the second CD that came out the following year was a blind purchase. Angels of the Apocalypse.

I anticipated something equally good, but got a complete turd. It sounds absolutely awful. Like, I haven't heard a modern metal album that was done so sloppily.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 1:19 am

A couple more, pretty much on par with that Avalon album:

Black Sabbath - Seventh Star. I like Glenn Hughes, I like melodic heavy metal / hard rock and I had heard the title track. Figured this would be right up my alley. It wasn't. I found it boring as hell.

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality. Amplified by the terrible muddy production, this was a giant step down from the sleek yet powerful Dead Heart album.

Poisonblack - Of Rust and Bones. I'm a big Sentenced fan, and I was of course buying and liking Poisonblack albums too, once Sentenced retired. They were all good, until this one. It's very stock, lifeless and boring, with maybe 2 tracks that are worth listening to, and those can't carry an album. This was also the last Poisonblack CD I ever bought.

Therion - Sitra Ahra. I loved the albums before this. Gothic Kabbalah was a masterpiece in my opinion. But this one doesn't grab me at all. I've tried so many times, and I think it's actually just bad.
Mostly just massive songs that don't go nowhere, and there's a few that do but they don't give you the sense of surprise previous Therion records did. Nothing here that I find interesting. Might be the last Therion CD I ever buy...
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 1:58 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Quiet Riot, as a band overall. I was just getting into metal (around 13-14 old), and Cum On Feel The Noize was like my favorite song ever back then, thanks to GTA Vice City. After I finally found out who played it, and after I bought Metal Health on cd, which wasn't exactly easy to do, all I've got was 2 songs (title track and coftn). Sadly QR never came even close to those two songs, ever.
It is pretty sad when your biggest song is a cover tune. I really liked them back when that album came out, even called them my favorite band for a while. Of course that was back when kids change favorite bands about once a month lol last time I gave it a listen though, I really couldn't get into most of the album.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 2:02 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Metallica - Black Album (when my youthful Metallica fanaticism came to a screeching halt)
Motley Crue - Theater of Pain (my first lesson in a favorite band "selling out")
Def Leppard - Hysteria (I waited four years for this overproduced pop slop? Bleah)
Good call on the Motley Crue album, forgot how mad I was when that came out. Think I was a little forgiving because by then I was getting into the heavier stuff anyways. I was still a fan, and that album sucked back then.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 am

Load - Metallica
Risk - Megadeth
Ballbreaker - AC/DC
Forbidden - Black Sabbath
Psycho Circus - KISS
Subhuman Race - Skid Row
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 9:53 am

Quote :
Psycho Circus - KISS

I wasn't into KISS yet when this came out, but that must have been disappointing to a lot of people given the hype about the original lineup and the reunion tour.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 am

Quote :
Psycho Circus - KISS

Ooh yeah, I can't believe I forgot that one... after the badass Reunion Tour, there was so much hype for a new album and it turned out to be a half baked piece of crap. :cheese:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 10:24 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:

Fat Freddy wrote:

Good call on the Motley Crue album, forgot how mad I was when that came out. Think I was a little forgiving because by then I was getting into the heavier stuff anyways. I was still a fan, and that album sucked back then.

Oh yeah, I was friggin' furious when that Crue album came out, haha! I was a dumb 12 year old who had bought into the whole Shout At The Devil leather-n-spikes-n-pentagrams shtick hook, line, and sinker, I seriously thought they were the most evil beings ever to walk the planet, haha.

...so needless to say, it was quite a shock when Theater came out three years later and they looked like drag queens and did a piano ballad. I've never forgiven them. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:

Fat Freddy wrote:

Oh yeah, I was friggin' furious when that Crue album came out, haha! I was a dumb 12 year old who had bought into the whole Shout At The Devil leather-n-spikes-n-pentagrams shtick hook, line, and sinker, I seriously thought they were the most evil beings ever to walk the planet, haha.

...so needless to say, it was quite a shock when Theater came out three years later and they looked like drag queens and did a piano ballad. I've never forgiven them. Laughing very hard
Haha, me too! I was about 14 when it came out, but I felt the same way. I had my walls plastered with motley posters, magazine pictures, hell I even had a shirt made once with airbrushed a Grim Reaper on it and had the guy paint the Motley Crue logo on it. Then that album came out and my walls suddenly changed their theme. My shirt vanished also never to be seen again lol
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Thelemech wrote:
Load - Metallica
Risk - Megadeth
Forbidden - Black Sabbath
Psycho Circus - KISS

I agree with all of these choices.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Check out Slade. You will get the best two songs QR ever did and a whole load of other cool stuff! Razz

I recently got a Slade greatest hits comp and I was pleasantly surprised by how varied their music is.  I expected everything to sound like the QR covers but far from it; some of this stuff is closer to Queen.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Lari wrote:
A couple more, pretty much on par with that Avalon album:

Black Sabbath - Seventh Star. I like Glenn Hughes, I like melodic heavy metal / hard rock and I had heard the title track. Figured this would be right up my alley. It wasn't. I found it boring as hell.

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality. Amplified by the terrible muddy production, this was a giant step down from the sleek yet powerful Dead Heart album.

Poisonblack - Of Rust and Bones. I'm a big Sentenced fan, and I was of course buying and liking Poisonblack albums too, once Sentenced retired. They were all good, until this one. It's very stock, lifeless and boring, with maybe 2 tracks that are worth listening to, and those can't carry an album. This was also the last Poisonblack CD I ever bought.

Therion - Sitra Ahra. I loved the albums before this. Gothic Kabbalah was a masterpiece in my opinion. But this one doesn't grab me at all. I've tried so many times, and I think it's actually just bad.
Mostly just massive songs that don't go nowhere, and there's a few that do but they don't give you the sense of surprise previous Therion records did. Nothing here that I find interesting. Might be the last Therion CD I ever buy...

HAHAHAHA!  I should have listed Gothic Turd as one of my biggest disappointments.  I loved Lemuria/Sirius B but then that Jethro Tull-like metal prog monstrosity Gothic Kabbalah came out and I was like "WT ever-lovin' F is this s***??????"  Man I hate that album.  I actually thought Sitra Ahra was a step up but I agree most of the songs seem kind of aimless.  I used to call Therion my favorite band until GK.  I tried like hell for over a year to like that album but with no success.  After that I just gave up and decided I'll always think Gothic Kabbalah sucks.  I still play Vovin, Deggial, Secret Of The Runes, Crowning Of Atlantis and of course Lemuria/Sirius B all the time but I haven't given Therion the time of day after that.  Especially after that weird French pop music album they did a year or two ago.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 9:19 pm

For quite awhile these guys were my favorite band in the 90's and I eagerly anticipated this one coming out:
Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Dream_Theater_-_Falling_into_Infinity_Album_Cover

I fecking hate this album. It was a big misstep for the band and I can't find anything even remotely palatable about it. It is so long and boring! I really tried to like it, honestly. I did. I played it constantly that year while I was writing papers ( I was in my last year of College) and nothing stuck. I haven't spun it in years and I mean to revisit it as it's been 2 decades since it's release. Bur I just can't bring myself to do so.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 9:25 pm

I know how you feel.  That's exactly how I feel about Therion's "Gothic Kabbalah"

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:

Fat Freddy wrote:

Haha, me too! I was about 14 when it came out, but I felt the same way. I had my walls plastered with motley posters, magazine pictures, hell I even had a shirt made once with airbrushed a Grim Reaper on it and had the guy paint the Motley Crue logo on it. Then that album came out and my walls suddenly changed their theme. My shirt vanished also never to be seen again lol

That's actually my favorite Crue album. (Ducks as rocks are thrown his way)
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 am

Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Hqdefault

Seriously, what was this pile of crap? After 3 great, kick ass albums we get the album that killed them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Disappointment   Biggest Disappointment - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biggest Disappointment
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next