Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Biggest Non-Disappointment?

Go down 
+10
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
the sentinel
Wrecked Neck
Gilbert
Lari
Lurideath
Boris2008
tohostudios
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Biggest Non-Disappointment? Empty
PostSubject: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Not expecting much and it turns out pretty cool?

I have a few.  But the one that came to mind as the bizarro thread to Biggest Disappointment would be:

Extreme - Saudades de Rock

Actually really enjoy almost all of this album.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 pm

The first one I thought of was Bon Jovi "Lost Highway"

I've always utterly loathed Bon Jovi so when I read/heard so many reviews bitching about this album being a "country" album I had to check it out.  Lo and behold it's actually a pretty good Southern rock-ish album that I ended up buying.  It's still the only Bon Jovi album I own and probably always will be.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Judas Priest - Firepower

I've found something to like about all of the post reunion albums but I wasn't expecting that!

Angel Witch - As Above So Below

I only really dug the debut until this one but they nailed it.

Celtic Frost - Monotheist

A band that I thought had run dry 15 years previous return with a masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Accept - Blood of the Nations
When this came out I didn't know what to expect and it blew my mind

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 12:40 am

Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope

I did not have high expectations, but it was and is an awesome record. It's metal, it's catchy, it has Russell Allen, Rob Rock etc doing lead vocals. Really surprised me how much I liked it.

Then came the 2nd Avalon album, and I bought it with high expecations, and it sucked terribly. confused
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 am

Lurideath wrote:
Accept - Blood of the Nations
When this came out I didn't know what to expect and it blew my mind

I agree. This is the best album of the band's reunion. Not a bad track on this one. Still a regular spinner.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 3:26 am

Only one that comes to mind right now is Megadeths Dystopia. After Super Collider I really thought they were done putting out good music. Not only was I wrong, but they put out their best album since Rust in Peace IMO.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 am

There are quite a few albums that have blown me away upon first listen:
Brave New World
Good to Be Bad
Blood of the Nations
A Different Kind of Truth

But, even though these are from some long time faves, they were all reunion/ comeback releases, so I wasn't totally sure what to expect. In keeping with this category, this one tops the charts for the Sentinel:

Biggest Non-Disappointment? AngelOfRetributionJPG

I really "did not" know what to expect. After the disappointments of the two albums with Ripper, and Halford's industrial sounding "Two" album, hopes and expectations were pretty low. I rememner hearing 'Revolution' on local rock radio and I was stoked to say the least. By the time 'Demonizer" was over, I was convinced it was the best album I had ever heard. Ha ha. Obviously, they have been on a roll since.

Biggest Non-Disappointment? 604261
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 10:37 am

Another I would add would be this:

Unlike the others I listed above, these guys were not an all time fave, even though I knew "of" them since the '80's, I dismissed them as they didn't fit the mold of Hair Metal back then. I am glad I went back and gave them a second chance as this album (and their sophomore offering, "Damned Nation") is terrific. I am glad I got over my first impression of the band (given their name and look) as I stumbled onto a couple of hidden gems.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 am

Megadeth - The System has Failed
Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
Exodus - Tempo of the Damned
Cynic - Humanoid (song)

(aka comeback albums)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 1:01 pm

First one that comes to mind is Fire and Gasoline (1989) by former Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones.

When I found the CD cheap at a flea market five or six years ago, I had never heard a note off of it but I picked it up anyway, strictly on Steve's rep and cuz I saw Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy's names in the credits.

Took it home, not expecting much from it to be honest, and lo and behold that album blew my doors off! It's been a perennial favorite ever since.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Halford - Resurrection. I didn't know what to expect after the 2wo debacle, but this album blew me away. Admittedly, at least four of the tracks leaked onto Napster a couple of months before the release date so I had an Idea that the album was going to be good.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
First one that comes to mind is Fire and Gasoline (1989) by former Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones.

When I found the CD cheap at a flea market five or six years ago, I had never heard a note off of it but I picked it up anyway, strictly on Steve's rep and cuz I saw Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy's names in the credits.

Took it home, not expecting much from it to be honest, and lo and behold that album blew my doors off! It's been a perennial favorite ever since.

Nice! Thinking out of the box, Fredo. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Fire & Gasoline is a scorcher fer sure. Great album. However, if you happen to come across Mr. Jones' first solo album, Mercy, take it immediately and smash it with a hammer, then burn the shards. Gather the ashes and bury them deep. That album blows harder than a Kardashian. Over-produced 80's synth rock. sick

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Fire & Gasoline is a scorcher fer sure. Great album. However, if you happen to come across Mr. Jones' first solo album, Mercy, take it immediately and smash it with a hammer, then burn the shards. Gather the ashes and bury them deep. That album blows harder than a Kardashian. Over-produced 80's synth rock. sick

Oh yeah, a while after I discovered F&G I checked out Mercy on YouTube to see if it would be worth tracking down... and bleah, it was definitely not my thang. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 am

The first one that comes to mind is L.A Guns The Missing Peace. Some of the other 80s bands have regrouped and put out less than stellar material(i.e. shitty) but Guns did it right. Great album!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 am

Theocracy: As the World Bleeds. I had only heard one song from this album (and only a couple of songs from the band itself), so i bought it pretty much blind, and was shocked at just how consistently good it is. They're probably my favorite power metal band now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Non-Disappointment?   Biggest Non-Disappointment? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biggest Non-Disappointment?
Page 1 of 1