Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...

Go down 
+4
Addy
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Empty
PostSubject: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 am

It's Official: STONE TEMPLE PILOTS Recruit One-Time 'The X Factor' Singer JEFF GUTT As New Frontman

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS have selected one-time "The X Factor" contestant Jeff Gutt as their new vocalist. Gutt, who was a runner-up in season three of the reality television music competition show created by Simon Cowell, was announced as the band's latest singer during a SiriusXM special earlier tonight (Tuesday, November 14) hosted by Eddie Trunk.

Gutt originally auditioned for STONE TEMPLE PILOTS in September 2016 and was officially named the band's new singer in May 2017. He has spent the last year secretly writing and recording new material in Redondo Beach, California with bandmembers Dean DeLeo, Robert DeLeo and Eric Kretz.

Robert DeLeo said that he first found out about Gutt while he was on the road with the HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES. "We were playing Pine Knob — I don't know what it's called now; I know it as Pine Knob — up in Detroit, which is where [Jeff is] from," the bassist said. "And after the show, there was a musician who said, 'Hey, man, you should check this guy out.' And that's where I kind of heard of him first — it was through that guy. And it just happened that it came together like that."

Regarding how he came to try out for STP, Jeff said: "I had heard about [the audition process], but I was on tour in the Middle East with my band at the time, so I was, like, doing my own thing, and that was everything that I had going on. And then when I got back, I was driving and I heard… I can't remember what song it was, but a STONE TEMPLE PILOTS song came on the radio. So I called my buddy in New York who knows everybody in the music industry, and I was, like, 'Hey, did they ever find a singer?' And he was, like, 'You know what? I'll send 'em your stuff right now.' And three days later, I got a call."

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 am

Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Stonetemplepilots2017bandwithgutt_638

He sounds like Scott Weiland. I guess I'm ok with that.

And I guess this is the new album artwork...
Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Stpmeadow

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am

Never heard of the gut but he doesn't sound too bad. That said, I think that song is pretty lame. STP can do much better than that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 am

007 wrote:
Never heard of the gut but he doesn't sound too bad. That said, I think that song is pretty lame. STP can do much better than that.

Eh, I like it well enough. It sounds like STP and that's fine with me. I'm looking forward to this.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 11:23 am

Really does sound like Weiland. Wonder how fans will respond.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

I'm going with the theory that for this new album, he'll be doing Weiland impression, just to appease the long-time fans and for the DeLeo brothers to get something new out there. In all likelihood, the band had this music written and recorded and were just looking for someone to provide the vocals. If the fans take to the new guy and he manages to stick around for a 2nd album, he'll start to find his own voice.

I'd be ok with that.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Kind of like AiC.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 4:23 pm

I heard the new song this afternoon Its good, and I think this guy will do well, those that know me know I was a Weiland fanboy Im glad STP is back out there and with a decent singer.

Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 7:55 pm

His voice fits with the music, but it just isn't the same... just like Journey with Arnell. Some bands become like a cover band even though the actual members are in it. Remember when INXS hired that reality show singer like this guy? It obviously didn't work. The reality show contestant thing is a unfavorable stigma IMO.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 1:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I'm going with the theory that for this new album, he'll be doing Weiland impression, just to appease the long-time fans and for the DeLeo brothers to get something new out there. In all likelihood, the band had this music written and recorded and were just looking for someone to provide the vocals. If the fans take to the new guy and he manages to stick around for a 2nd album, he'll start to find his own voice.

I'd be ok with that.

He's definitely doing an impression, which is a shame.

He's got a good voice otherwise, but never sounded like Weiland. Normally he sounds more like the dude from Adema.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Troublezone wrote:
His voice fits with the music, but it just isn't the same... just like Journey with Arnell. Some bands become like a cover band even though the actual members are in it. Remember when INXS hired that reality show singer like this guy? It obviously didn't work. The reality show contestant thing is a unfavorable stigma IMO.

Journey with Arnell is pretty damn good. Revelation and Eclipse are great. "Resonate" is one of the best songs they've ever recorded.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:
He's got a good voice otherwise, but never sounded like Weiland. Normally he sounds more like the dude from Adema.

Ewwww. I'll take the Weiland impression, thank you.

Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 am

He sounds like a mix of Weiland and Josh Todd of Buckcherry.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 3:09 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Journey with Arnell is pretty damn good. Revelation and Eclipse are great. "Resonate" is one of the best songs they've ever recorded.

The songwriting isn't there IMO. Nothing stands out like the early Steve Perry years.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am

I'm willing to give the new STP singer a chance, although it's worth noting that while the DeLeo brothers wrote the bulk of STP's music, Scott Weiland wrote all the lyrics. I wonder if this new guy will have the skills.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 7:13 pm

I don't think there's many fans here but f**k it. I'm bumping this anyway for their new album, 2nd with "new" singer Jeff Gutt. A mostly all acoustic jam called Perdida. Dig on it if ya want. First single, 'Fare Thee Well'.

Don't have the album yet, but I will soon enough.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2020 12:47 am

I never really gave these guys a chance. They remind me of the dark years that metal went through back in the 90's.

This is a great jam MG. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...   Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stone Temple Pilot's New Lead Singer Is...
Page 1 of 1