Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?

Go down 
+26
Wargod
metalhead777
martinsane
Troublezone
Mglaffas81
Ben Grimm
Smindas
Eyesore
labrekk
manny
exact33
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Gilbert
Shawn Of Fire
Alex Dee Rokket
Olafsto
Temple of Blood
stormspell
bassman
ZetaReticuli
shamgar75
mc666
Metal Misfit
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Empty
PostSubject: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Razz

http://www.bravewords.com/news/156119

Quote :
According to a new interview with guitarist Craig Goldy (DIO) conducted by Jeb Wright from Classic Rock Revisited, TIM "RIPPER" OWENS (HAIL!, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, BEYOND FEAR, ex-JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH) will be singing in place of RONNIE JAMES DIO (BLACK SABBATH, DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, RAINBOW, ELF) on some unreleased Dio material the Dio band is going to be recording.

Says Goldy: "Wendy has given Rudy Sarzo and I permission to go through Ronnie’s computer and find music. We are going to get together with the Dio band and perform with Ripper Owens. I am really looking forward to that. It has been a long time since I have felt proud to be a part of something."
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Rolling Eyes

shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:14 pm

mc666 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

+1
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 pm

And I ask: why??

Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 11:46 pm

So is Ripper like the default replacement singer for every band in the world now? It's like a reflex, a band loses a singer, for whatever reason, and the first thought in everyone's head is " Call Ripper, he'll sing on anything. " Not that I mind, I like his voice, I just wish he'd stick with a project for more than 5 minutes at a time. I actually thought his voice gave Yngwie's last album some much needed oomph, I was hoping for two or three more albums with that lineup.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 am

I really thought it would be the other fly-by, aka Jorn Lande, but Ripper seems a logical choice too Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:57 am

This will be awful.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:31 am

I thought it would be impossible for him to become a bigger joke than he already is. I was wrong Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:37 am

Given that Jorn was asked to pay tribute along side Heaven and Hell I would have thought that the prime choice for anyone singing Dio's unreleased material was going to be Jorn.

Ripper's voice doesn't fit Dio's style at all. Sure it makes sense for Ripper to sing Priest songs but getting him to sing Dio material is about as misguided as when Harris hired Blaze in Iron Maiden.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:03 am

Anyone hired to sing DIO is misplaced. I only hope they would change the name to Holy Diver or something.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 6:32 am

Would personally have liked to have seen Mike Tirelli (Holy Mother / Messiah's Kiss) get the gig. A far better singer in my opinion than "Ripper".

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 am

Good grief...you guys are something else...LOL!

They're not going to call it "Dio" for pete's sake...quit overreacting.

I would think it safe to say that his wife/manager and his bandmates knew him a little better than any of us did. There is even a very good chance that RJD & Wendy discussed his legacy and his wishes and his music ideas being used were part of that.

It baffles me how fans sometimes adopt a sense of ownership and entitlement when it comes to thier favorite artists. I am not saying anyone has to like the idea. But I think this is better than having the music rot on a hard drive...plus Goldy and Sarzo will be involved to help maintain Ronnie's honor.

And the answer to "why Ripper?" is because Wendy is his manager too...

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 am

I'm curious about what will come out of this...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 am

Tirelli would be 1000 times better for this ....
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 10:43 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Good grief...you guys are something else...LOL!

They're not going to call it "Dio" for pete's sake...quit overreacting.

I would think it safe to say that his wife/manager and his bandmates knew him a little better than any of us did. There is even a very good chance that RJD & Wendy discussed his legacy and his wishes and his music ideas being used were part of that.

It baffles me how fans sometimes adopt a sense of ownership and entitlement when it comes to thier favorite artists. I am not saying anyone has to like the idea. But I think this is better than having the music rot on a hard drive...plus Goldy and Sarzo will be involved to help maintain Ronnie's honor.

And the answer to "why Ripper?" is because Wendy is his manager too...

I agree with this. At least we'll be able to hear what Dio was working on until his unfortunate passing. I'm actually looking forward to this.My curiousity is piqued.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 am

Locky wrote:
Would personally have liked to have seen Mike Tirelli (Holy Mother / Messiah's Kiss) get the gig. A far better singer in my opinion than "Ripper".

Wow. Never heard of this dude, but he nails the Dio impression.

While I'm a casual fan of Dio's solo work, I'll be interested to hear what Ripper can do with the material. Although he's really starting to become a bit of a joke. Like someone else mentioned, Tim needs to stick with one band or project for more than 5 minutes.

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 am

Well, he has done the last two Malmsteen albums and he's working on a new Beyond Fear. I'm looking forward to this, give a different spin on Dio's stuff and I like Tim's voice a lot. In the current music biz, this is getting more normal.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am

Ripper could sing the phone book and I'd at least give it a listen. So I'm interested.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am

lol! I laugh but it's true. I even liked Charred Walls of the Damned.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Well it should be an interesting listen, but I think Jorn would be a better choice.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Man, ya'll are dogging Ripper hard.

- being out of Priest, not his decision

- being out of Iced Earth, not his decision

- Beyond Fear, he is the only one in the bunch who is a pro musician...not easy to maintain

- Hail!, all-star tribute band for the money...he need's to make a living

- Yngwie, hired gun like any other Yngwie singer, not his decision

- Charred Walls Of The Damned, tried to pull together a band with some known people, it didn't take off...Christy has a day job that makes MUCH more money than being on Metal Blade and it's his project, not Ripper's decision

He's become the Jeff Scott Soto of the Metal world...he goes where the opportunities are. He came into the scene on the back of 2 established bands...he had no other prior known legacy to build on...he's working hard to maintain a living...cut the guy some slack.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Quote :
- Charred Walls Of The Damned, tried to pull together a band with some known people, it didn't take off...

FYI, Richard Christy is working on another Charred Walls album. He's recorded most of the drum tracks already. Haven't heard if Tim will be involved, although it would surprise me if he wasn't.

And for the record, aside from the Yngwie albums, I have most of his other works. I'm a Ripper fan. He just gets bounced around and out of so many things, it's becoming the running joke that he'll sing on your answering machine if you ask politely. I'd love to hear another Beyond Fear album.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 pm

The second Yngwie album he's on was a surprise to him. It's all songs from sessions he did on the first album...he had no idea it was even coming out.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The second Yngwie album he's on was a surprise to him. It's all songs from sessions he did on the first album...he had no idea it was even coming out.

I'd like to eventually pick them up. I know what to expect from Wanken-steen. I'm interested soley in Tim's performance.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Man, ya'll are dogging Ripper hard.

- being out of Priest, not his decision

- being out of Iced Earth, not his decision

- Beyond Fear, he is the only one in the bunch who is a pro musician...not easy to maintain

- Hail!, all-star tribute band for the money...he need's to make a living

- Yngwie, hired gun like any other Yngwie singer, not his decision

- Charred Walls Of The Damned, tried to pull together a band with some known people, it didn't take off...Christy has a day job that makes MUCH more money than being on Metal Blade and it's his project, not Ripper's decision

He's become the Jeff Scott Soto of the Metal world...he goes where the opportunities are. He came into the scene on the back of 2 established bands...he had no other prior known legacy to build on...he's working hard to maintain a living...cut the guy some slack.

I have always felt a little sorry for him actually. He seems to catch projects after the great lead singer is out...

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?   So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, um... Ripper is the new lead singer for Dio?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next