Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+56
Hadley
Wrecked Neck
candlemass
DallasBlack
glassprison
HeavyThrashhead
DevZor
tohostudios
7thSecond
Aaron_D
Wurthless
Addy
Mglaffas81
John Madden
Louder
ShadowAngel
Lari
akeldama
Thrasher73
Vexer6
Thelemech
nevermore
bgsully
the sentinel
Dark Horseman
A Handful of Wayne
kyleblack
mikeinfla
metalinmyveins
mlotek
Troublezone
Runicen
Required Fields
mc666
DakotaRogers
chewie
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
exact33
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
Sword Of The Heretic
SideShowDisaSter
Smindas
James B.
MetalRob331
Eyesore
Boris2008
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
BearOnUnicycle
manny
thejokeriv
60 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

All things Metallica - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 11:27 am

DakotaRogers wrote:
I'd also like to meet the person who actually anticipates the next album to be anything close to the greatness of their first four.

I mean, we all know that is 100% impossible.

A new album doesn't have to be one of the four greatest albums ever recorded, which is what their first four are. Despite the garbage contained from Load through St. Anger, things went on a definite upswing with Death Magnetic. That record is awesome. Nowhere near Kill, Ride, Master or Justice. But what is?

And "Lords of Summer". I am still obsessed with that tune. If a new album, whenever it arrives, is anywhere like that, I will be way into it. And if a new album never arrives...well, I'll still rock Kill, Ride, Master and Justice. And 10 of the 12 songs on the Black Album. And Garage Days (and Garage Inc). And Death Magnetic. And "Lords of Summer". And their Dio tribute medley. Plenty of Metallica to go around.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 11:33 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen the slightest bit of criticism when Iron Maiden steamroller through their never ending cycle of fan fleecing (those picture discs sold well, bet they will lap up the back catalogue on 180grm vinyl! Very Happy $$$$ Very Happy )

I've got the Metallica records in a format I'm happy with (the same goes for Iron Maiden) so I won't bother with these, but they aren't doing anything that just about every other major band does so I don't get the hate other than the fact that they suck a bit these days.

People on this board have compared Iron Maiden to Kiss when it comes to merchandising. I know this because I am one of them. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 12:28 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back.  Ugh.

That was my first thought too.........

Audio issues aside, I'm starting to get tired of all the re-issues in general too. It's been done to death.

As far as Metallica goes, I imagine I'll stick with what I've got. It'll have to be something extraordinary to make me re-buy these albums.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 3:43 am

The only reissue I'd care for is a remixed version of AJFA with Jason's presence, guitars instead of buzzsaws, and a real snare. Then perhaps I could actually enjoy listening to it. But when pigs fly etc etc.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back.  Ugh.

That was my first thought too.........

Audio issues aside, I'm starting to get tired of all the re-issues in general too. It's been done to death.

As far as Metallica goes, I imagine I'll stick with what I've got. It'll have to be something extraordinary to make me re-buy these albums.

Ditto
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 4:27 am

corplhicks wrote:
The only reissue I'd care for is a remixed version of AJFA with Jason's presence, guitars instead of buzzsaws, and a real snare. Then perhaps I could actually enjoy listening to it. But when pigs fly etc etc.

Ditto
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 7:13 pm

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/three-years-after-release-metallicas-lulu-has-yet-to-surpass-35000-in-u-s-sales/
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Required Fields wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/three-years-after-release-metallicas-lulu-has-yet-to-surpass-35000-in-u-s-sales/

I'm surprised 35 people bought it, let alone 35,000.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 9:25 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

I don't mind saying, I don't really think Lulu is bad.

I definitely get why it was not a hit. I don't really know what audience there is for a cross between the two artists, and one that doesn't sound much like their actually revered stuff to begin with.

Taking the most generalized lowest common denominator Metallica fan, the dude who still jams to Load and St. Anger regularly...that's Metallica's real current audience. I can't imagine someone like that getting into this record. And Lou Reed, after he peaked, his catalog is pretty spotty, though some good moments. But again, take the most generalized version of a Reed/Velvets fan...I can see only eye rolls when thinking of the king of the pre-Art Punks making a record with those knuckledraggers that did Enter Sandman.

But I kinda think the record is fun, and it's cool they did it. I wish they did it under the pre-record internet diminutive nickname of Loutallica though. That would've been funny.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 9:32 am

Lulu may have been Metallica's lowest selling project ever, but at the same time it was probably the biggest seller Lou Reed had had in years.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 9:52 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

The article fails to mention that 34,671 of those were returned, traded or tossed within 3 days of purchase.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 11:47 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
If Foo Fighters can do it...so can Metallica evidently.

Metallica will be performing a week-long residency on the Craig Ferguson show starting November 17th.  The celebration is a send-off for Craig, coinciding with his final week hosting The Late Late Show.  

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-10-29/metallica-the-late-late-show-residency/

I look forward to watching their performances the next day on YouTube and posting them here for everyone to criticize Razz

Metallica's performance of 'Hit the Lights' on The Late, Late Show.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 11:54 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Metallica will be performing a week-long residency on the Craig Ferguson show starting November 17th.  The celebration is a send-off for Craig, coinciding with his final week hosting The Late Late Show.  

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-10-29/metallica-the-late-late-show-residency/

I look forward to watching their performances the next day on YouTube and posting them here for everyone to criticize Razz

Hetfield sounds awful.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 11:59 am

Witchfinder wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Hetfield sounds awful.

I'll have to play it again. I was distracted by Lars' trash can snare.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 12:11 pm

This is all you'll ever need to listen to from Lulu:

Last edited by Witchfinder on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 1:17 pm

I'd buy that album in a heartbeat before I'd drop a dime on Lulu. Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 pm

I love Lulu...not the music, it's a terrible album, but because it caused Metallica fanboys worldwide to blow a gasket...which I found supremely entertaining. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 am

Late Late Show performance of 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 4:53 pm

I didn't like Lulu (though I want to give it another listen as if it was a Lou album, not Metallica), but I have to say, it pissed off and divided people the way Metal Machine Music did back in the day, which proved to me that Lou went out on a high note. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 5:35 pm

LuLu is a disgrace!
If Metallica wanted to get all "artistic" they could have done it under a different name. Why attach an album like that with the likes of Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets? Never thought i'd say this, but LuLu makes the Load albums sound great. Even St Anus sounds better, but not by much... I still hate that one too!
I guess when you get rich, you don't care about integrity anymore.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Troublezone wrote:
LuLu is a disgrace!
If Metallica wanted to get all "artistic" they could have done it under a different name. Why attach an album like that with the likes of Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets? Never though i'd say this, but LuLu makes the Load albums sound great. Even St Anus sounds better, but not by much... I still hate that one too!

Metallica owns the rights to their name and can do whatever the hell they want with it. If the band truly wanted to record that album with Lou Reed that WAS integrity. Mindlessly recording variations of the same album over and over again just so you don't piss off your closed-minded fanbase is the worst kind of sell-out there is.

Plus, Metallica recording LuLu doesn't have any impact on their earlier catalog. Ride The Lightning didn't suddenly become a worse album because St. Anger or Lulu existed.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 6:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
LuLu is a disgrace!
If Metallica wanted to get all "artistic" they could have done it under a different name. Why attach an album like that with the likes of Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets? Never though i'd say this, but LuLu makes the Load albums sound great. Even St Anus sounds better, but not by much... I still hate that one too!

Metallica owns the rights to their name and can do whatever the hell they want with it.  If the band truly wanted to record that album with Lou Reed that WAS integrity.  Mindlessly recording variations of the same album over and over again just so you don't piss off your closed-minded fanbase is the worst kind of sell-out there is.  

Plus, Metallica recording LuLu doesn't have any impact on their earlier catalog.  Ride The Lightning didn't suddenly become a worse album because St. Anger or Lulu existed.  

Of coarse they own the rights to their name (and can sh*t on it as well, if they choose). But it doesn't mean it's a good decision to record an album totally polar opposite of what their fanbase was built on. Just make sure you keep your same opinion if they make a rap-metal album. Imagine a band like Iron Maiden suddenly changing their songwriting style to something like Nickelback. It won't hurt their reputation or integrity, right?
Every album they did up to the Black album sounded different than the one before it. But they made small changes without drastically going to left field. The sellout comment is bogus. Staying true to your roots is selling out? So Ac/Dc and Motorhead are sellouts... (by your definition)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 11:08 pm

Depends on the band and the situation.  If the artist WANTS to do something different but chooses not to for fear of their fanbase not getting it...that's the very definition of selling out.  Compromising your art for greater commercial potential (or continued commercial potential).  

AC/DC, Motorhead, Overkill, etc...these are groups that I doubt are sitting around wanting to branch out stylistically, they do their thing, they do it VERY well.  I would never call them sellouts (the concept is laughable), because they are doing what they want to do and have always done exactly what they want to do and didn't give a F*ck what anyone else thought. But hey, if AC/DC decided to do an album of 50s style rock & roll songs I would be first in line to buy a copy.  

Let's say Iron Maiden decided to record a "Nickleback-style" album.  I wouldn't be interested in that...but I wouldn't suddenly cease to love the rest of their discography.  If that's what they wanted to do then they should do it.  I don't have to continue following them, but it doesn't in any way degrade or impact their earlier albums.

I just get irritated whenever I hear somebody on the internet bitch about a band saying something like "...they should have changed their name!".  Bullshit.  If the fans don't like how a band is evolving...then go find another f*cking band.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 12:29 am

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
LuLu is a disgrace!

Metallica owns the rights to their name and can do whatever the hell they want with it.  If the band truly wanted to record that album with Lou Reed that WAS integrity.  Mindlessly recording variations of the same album over and over again just so you don't piss off your closed-minded fanbase is the worst kind of sell-out there is.  

Plus, Metallica recording LuLu doesn't have any impact on their earlier catalog.  Ride The Lightning didn't suddenly become a worse album because St. Anger or Lulu existed.  

There's truth in this, but I'd approach it from a different angle.

"Selling out," at least as I understand it, would be something like a hair metal band adopting a grunge style and sound in '93 in spite of what built their fanbase is after. This is something contrary to the nature of the band and is only (we can assume) done to "build the brand" and "shift more units." Hence the term: sell out. It's a commercial move almost 100% and we can all think of bands that did this and came back from it - most of them thoroughly apologetic. Personally, I like when bands "sell out" because most of them are so BAD at it that they create something new and interesting in spite of themselves, but that's another thread.

Now, with Metallica, you can say "What the hell was that?" but there are two things I'd point out about Lulu:

1.) Lou Reed's last big selling album was in the 70s. I think New York did ok, but it was nowhere near his heyday as far as "units sold" unless I'm dramatically mistaken. Likewise, at the time, his most recent releases were a live recording of Metal Machine Music recorded with a modern orchestral ensemble (someone correct me if the layout was different, I never heard it) and a double album of songs and spoken word pieces based around the works of Edgar Allen Poe (which was F$%#ing BRILLIANT!). Point being, he was no big money name to shack up with to grow the brand!

2.) While it's not exactly musically challenging stuff, Metallica going back to the Cliff and Dave days had weird musical influences, even if only stuff the band members were passing around on mix tapes. The idea that they'd go and do something completely balls out artsy was kind of in the cards, but very few bands actually DO it. So, while I could think Lulu was a frozen turd on a stick, you have to cop to the fact that it was a gutsy move and a pretty sweet experiment to see from such an established (and one could even say kind of stagnant at this point with credibility) band. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other established big name act has EVER from a position of reasonable success attempted such an outlandish experiment and RELEASED the thing. You could MAYBE look at the Old Vic shows The Who did while prepping to record Who's Next, but they backpedalled from the more grandiose aspects of Pete Townshend's Lifehouse idea, so that technically never got followed through with.

It's not musically the same animal, but I think the spirit of Metallica is more "alive" with Lulu than with most of the stuff they've been putting out post-Black album. It shows there's still some fire and still some drive to experiment outside of the committee of Metallica fans who assemble their set lists and dictate the sound of future albums. Remember, these were the "Metal Up Your Ass" guys. It's supposed to be a middle finger, even potentially to the fans. Who knew better about middle fingers than old Lou? Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 4:43 am

S.D. wrote:
Depends on the band and the situation.  If the artist WANTS to do something different but chooses not to for fear of their fanbase not getting it...that's the very definition of selling out.  Compromising your art for greater commercial potential (or continued commercial potential).  

AC/DC, Motorhead, Overkill, etc...these are groups that I doubt are sitting around wanting to branch out stylistically, they do their thing, they do it VERY well.  I would never call them sellouts (the concept is laughable), because they are doing what they want to do and have always done exactly what they want to do and didn't give a F*ck what anyone else thought. But hey, if AC/DC decided to do an album of 50s style rock & roll songs I would be first in line to buy a copy.  

Let's say Iron Maiden decided to record a "Nickleback-style" album.  I wouldn't be interested in that...but I wouldn't suddenly cease to love the rest of their discography.  If that's what they wanted to do then they should do it.  I don't have to continue following them, but it doesn't in any way degrade or impact their earlier albums.

I just get irritated whenever I hear somebody on the internet bitch about a band saying something like "...they should have changed their name!".  Bullshit.  If the fans don't like how a band is evolving...then go find another f*cking band.

I don't think they would be taking these odd ball risks if they weren't so confident in their loyal fans to eat up anything they throw at them. I guess LuLu backfired.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 3 of 24Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next