Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+56
Hadley
Wrecked Neck
candlemass
DallasBlack
glassprison
HeavyThrashhead
DevZor
tohostudios
7thSecond
Aaron_D
Wurthless
Addy
Mglaffas81
John Madden
Louder
ShadowAngel
Lari
akeldama
Thrasher73
Vexer6
Thelemech
nevermore
bgsully
the sentinel
Dark Horseman
A Handful of Wayne
kyleblack
mikeinfla
metalinmyveins
mlotek
Troublezone
Runicen
Required Fields
mc666
DakotaRogers
chewie
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
exact33
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
Sword Of The Heretic
SideShowDisaSter
Smindas
James B.
MetalRob331
Eyesore
Boris2008
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
BearOnUnicycle
manny
thejokeriv
60 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

All things Metallica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Metallica might have been influenced by Diamond Head and NWOBHM, but they certainly never sounded like those bands.

They don't sound the same because Sean Harris is actually a real singer.

I win.

I thought I won?
 surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 9:03 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Metallica might have been influenced by Diamond Head and NWOBHM, but they certainly never sounded like those bands.

I win.

I thought I won?
 surprised

You never win.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I win.

I thought I won?
 surprised

You never win.

Even when I'm losing, I'm winning Wink
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39504

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Time for a little absurdity in this argument.

All things Metallica - Page 2 Charlie-sheen-winning-tshirt
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 10:55 pm

After selling a bunch of my music years ago to pay the bills, I finally started reacquiring my Metallica catalog. Of course after getting the first 3 albums back, my vehicle craps out on me.  All things Metallica - Page 2 25679 
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 am

The Metal Massacre version of Hit the Lights sounds A LOT like DIAMOND HEAD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 6:51 pm

If Foo Fighters can do it...so can Metallica evidently.

Metallica will be performing a week-long residency on the Craig Ferguson show starting November 17th. The celebration is a send-off for Craig, coinciding with his final week hosting The Late Late Show.

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-10-29/metallica-the-late-late-show-residency/
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The Metal Massacre version of Hit the Lights sounds A LOT like DIAMOND HEAD.

Yes, indeed it does. Part of the reason I liked it so much initially.

S.D. wrote:

Metallica will be performing a week-long residency on the Craig Ferguson show starting November 17th.  The celebration is a send-off for Craig, coinciding with his final week hosting The Late Late Show.  

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-10-29/metallica-the-late-late-show-residency/

I thought this was pretty cool when I heard about it. I already watch the Late Late show, so it's just a nice added bonus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 am

S.D. wrote:

Metallica will be performing a week-long residency on the Craig Ferguson show starting November 17th.  The celebration is a send-off for Craig, coinciding with his final week hosting The Late Late Show.  

I look forward to watching their performances the next day on YouTube and posting them here for everyone to criticize Razz

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 10:58 am

Looks like we're finally getting deluxe remasters of the first two albums, and they're asking for fan-submitted content for inclusion, which is kind of neat. Questions of sound quality come to mind. From Blabbermouth:

Quote :
METALLICA is seeking help from the band's fans while preparing remastered, deluxe editions of their first two albums, 1983's "Kill 'Em All" and 1984's "Ride The Lightning", which they hope to put out in 2015. Anyone who has photos of the group and memorabilia or audio of concerts METALLICA played between 1983 and 1985 is being asked to submit them for possible inclusion in the reissues.

"We want it all," the band wrote on its web site. "Did you manage to sneak a video camera into a show long before they fit in your pocket? Maybe your old instamatic camera for some snapshots? A cassette Walkman with a microphone? We're looking for anything and everything...audio, video, photos, fliers, ticket stubs, the set list you picked up off the floor and in general any mementos you may have from that around that time."

Fans with items of interest, including stories, can e-mail METALLICA at submissions@metclub.com. The band added, "By submitting it, you're saying we can use it should your piece of history land on a release (yes, the lawyers made us add this part!)."

Originally issued on July 25, 1983 through the independent label Megaforce Records, "Kill 'Em All" was recorded in two weeks on a miniscule budget in upstate New York. Although only 1,500 copies were initially pressed, the album was reissued by Elektra Records after the band signed to that label in 1984 and has since been certified triple platinum for sales of more than three million copies.

The varied sounds of "Ride The Lightning", which included the first METALLICA ballad in "Fade To Black", drew mixed responses from some fans. The band's drummer, Lars Ulrich, told Rolling Stone magazine: "It did surprise us a little bit, I guess. People started calling us sellouts and all that type of stuff. Some people were a little bit bewildered by the fact that there was a song that had acoustic guitars."

Noting that at least four songs from the album are still part of METALLICA's live set today, Ulrich said that "Ride The Lightning" "holds up very well," adding, "There's kind of a youthful energy that runs through the record."

To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the release of METALLICA's six-time-platinum third album, "Master Of Puppets" — the band's last record with bassist Cliff Burton — in 2016, the group is collaborating with an author named Matt Taylor on a book about the making of the LP.

Taylor, who wrote an acclaimed and extensively detailed book on the making of the movie "Jaws", contacted the band with a proposal to create a definitive history of "Master Of Puppets". The band explained: "When we took a spin through 'Jaws: Memories From Martha's Vineyard', we were so blown away by the presentation, thorough coverage, and attention to detail that went into it, we knew he was the man to help us celebrate the upcoming 30th anniversary of that release."

The group stated that Taylor "has been very busy doing extensive interviews with all of us, our managers, record company staff, people we hung with then and Cliff's dad Ray," but added, "Matt's plan for the 'Master Of Puppets' book is to lean heavily on amateur, fan-taken photos and stories reflecting the grassroots vibe of the time."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-to-release-remastered-deluxe-editions-of-kill-em-all-and-ride-the-lightning/#DdOFR0q7CsFoSLvk.99
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 12:09 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Looks like we're finally getting deluxe remasters of the first two albums, and they're asking for fan-submitted content for inclusion, which is kind of neat. Questions of sound quality come to mind. From Blabbermouth:

Quote :
METALLICA is seeking help from the band's fans while preparing remastered, deluxe editions of their first two albums, 1983's "Kill 'Em All" and 1984's "Ride The Lightning", which they hope to put out in 2015. Anyone who has photos of the group and memorabilia or audio of concerts METALLICA played between 1983 and 1985 is being asked to submit them for possible inclusion in the reissues.

"We want it all," the band wrote on its web site. "Did you manage to sneak a video camera into a show long before they fit in your pocket? Maybe your old instamatic camera for some snapshots? A cassette Walkman with a microphone? We're looking for anything and everything...audio, video, photos, fliers, ticket stubs, the set list you picked up off the floor and in general any mementos you may have from that around that time."

Fans with items of interest, including stories, can e-mail METALLICA at submissions@metclub.com. The band added, "By submitting it, you're saying we can use it should your piece of history land on a release (yes, the lawyers made us add this part!)."

Originally issued on July 25, 1983 through the independent label Megaforce Records, "Kill 'Em All" was recorded in two weeks on a miniscule budget in upstate New York. Although only 1,500 copies were initially pressed, the album was reissued by Elektra Records after the band signed to that label in 1984 and has since been certified triple platinum for sales of more than three million copies.

The varied sounds of "Ride The Lightning", which included the first METALLICA ballad in "Fade To Black", drew mixed responses from some fans. The band's drummer, Lars Ulrich, told Rolling Stone magazine: "It did surprise us a little bit, I guess. People started calling us sellouts and all that type of stuff. Some people were a little bit bewildered by the fact that there was a song that had acoustic guitars."

Noting that at least four songs from the album are still part of METALLICA's live set today, Ulrich said that "Ride The Lightning" "holds up very well," adding, "There's kind of a youthful energy that runs through the record."

To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the release of METALLICA's six-time-platinum third album, "Master Of Puppets" — the band's last record with bassist Cliff Burton — in 2016, the group is collaborating with an author named Matt Taylor on a book about the making of the LP.

Taylor, who wrote an acclaimed and extensively detailed book on the making of the movie "Jaws", contacted the band with a proposal to create a definitive history of "Master Of Puppets". The band explained: "When we took a spin through 'Jaws: Memories From Martha's Vineyard', we were so blown away by the presentation, thorough coverage, and attention to detail that went into it, we knew he was the man to help us celebrate the upcoming 30th anniversary of that release."

The group stated that Taylor "has been very busy doing extensive interviews with all of us, our managers, record company staff, people we hung with then and Cliff's dad Ray," but added, "Matt's plan for the 'Master Of Puppets' book is to lean heavily on amateur, fan-taken photos and stories reflecting the grassroots vibe of the time."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-to-release-remastered-deluxe-editions-of-kill-em-all-and-ride-the-lightning/#DdOFR0q7CsFoSLvk.99

this is a plot by Metallica to sue everyone who has cheated them out of profits. Gene Simmons is now kicking himself for not thinking of this first.

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 1:23 pm

I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37636

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Over the past 30+ years I have bought those two Metallica albums several times on vinyl, cassette, and CD. To get me to re-buy them yet again they'd have to resurrect Cliff Burton from the dead and have him deliver them to my house personally!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9876

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 1:47 pm

There are two metallica albums I still hesitate to pick up: load and st anger.

even if it is to complete my collection. I always hold them in my hand and place them back on the store shelves.

Hopefully I will not regret it the day they are out of print.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back.  Ugh.

That was my first thought, but I'm glad you posted it instead because if I say anything about mastering I generally get the third degree.

I'm pretty much burned out on those albums right now, maybe in another 5 years or so they'll start to sound good to me again.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 10:37 am

If they have unreleased tracks, even one unreleased track, from the time period, I will buy them in a heartbeat.

Are there unused tracks running around from those sessions? I have no idea. Metallica and GNR, I'm always hoping that one day someone drops an album of unused tracks, GNR from any time in their proper lifespan and Metallica any time up to Black Album.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 11:17 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I can't wait to hear those Metallica classics brickwalled to hell and back.  Ugh.

cool
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 9:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

That was my first thought too.........
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 1:08 am

More ridiculous BS to further stall work on the new album. I figure hell will freeze over before these lazy old pricks put out anything new.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 1:31 am

When they do put out something new, everyone will bitch & whine that it doesn't sound like the first 4. They would probably fair better to just keep reissuing those.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:58 am

I don't think I've ever seen the slightest bit of criticism when Iron Maiden steamroller through their never ending cycle of fan fleecing (those picture discs sold well, bet they will lap up the back catalogue on 180grm vinyl! Very Happy $$$$ Very Happy )

I've got the Metallica records in a format I'm happy with (the same goes for Iron Maiden) so I won't bother with these, but they aren't doing anything that just about every other major band does so I don't get the hate other than the fact that they suck a bit these days.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 7:15 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen the slightest bit of criticism when Iron Maiden steamroller through their never ending cycle of fan fleecing (those picture discs sold well, bet they will lap up the back catalogue on 180grm vinyl! Very Happy $$$$ Very Happy )

The picture discs and 180 gram vinyl are limited edition and not a major release targeted at the collectors..... BTW - i bought the 180 GM vinyl (they sound FANTASTIC) and not the picture discs...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

The picture discs and 180 gram vinyl are limited edition and not a major release targeted at the collectors..... BTW - i bought the 180 GM vinyl (they sound FANTASTIC) and not the picture discs...

I don't really have a problem with it, just pointing out the different attitudes shown towards different bands.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 11:21 am

mc666 wrote:
When they do put out something new, everyone will bitch & whine that it doesn't sound like the first 4. They would probably fair better to just keep reissuing those.

In a world where people non-jokingly defend travesties such as "St. Anger" and "Lulu," I don't think that really matters much to the devout fanboys that make up 75% of Metallica's fanbase.

I'd also like to meet the person who actually anticipates the next album to be anything close to the greatness of their first four.

Last edited by DakotaRogers on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OCD)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 2 of 24Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 24  Next