Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Celtic Frost

Go down 
+19
martinsane
Wrecked Neck
Gilbert
Required Fields
mlotek
SAHB Healer
ultmetal
ZombieHavoc
mc666
manny
DeathCult
Icy Grave
TheUnborn
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
Glower
Lari
Boris2008
Headbanger Man
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

Number of posts : 145

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 am

So What could you all tell about this band ? never really got into them, but I´m willing to check some of their stuff. first album ( Morbid Tales ) sounds cool but seems to have a VERY strong punk hardcore root / edge to it .
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 11:57 am

The punk/hardcore edge was because they were not great musicians when they made Morbid Tales. It does however have some of the most memorable riffs of all time.

Just don't start with Cold Lake or Vanity/Nemesis and you will do just fine. I would move to the classic To Mega Therion next.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Headbanger Man wrote:
So What could you all tell about this band ?

Don't pronounce the name Seltic Frost.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 12:57 pm

I have always been curious about that band -
They have really cool lp covers ?
Were they a trio ?
Morbid Tales is their best ?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 3:41 pm

To Mega Therion was my favorite after that the albums kind of were all over the place.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 pm

"Whatever happened to Celtic Frost??
Is it true that they got lost
In the Pandemonium
Never to be seen again??"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheUnborn
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 15

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:38 am

Headbanger Man wrote:
So What could you all tell about this band ? never really got into them, but I´m willing to check some of their stuff. first album ( Morbid Tales ) sounds cool but seems to have a VERY strong punk hardcore root / edge to it .

In my opinion, all you really need by Celtic Frost is the Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return MLPs and the To Mega Therion LP. The Monotheist LP from 2006 isn't all that bad either, really apocalyptic stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.UnbornProductions.com/
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think I will check all of their stuff with the exception of "Cold Lake"
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 5:51 pm

So I have been listening some of their stuff. in fact , there are some songs on the early material that sound very punk influenced ...
Back to top Go down
Icy Grave
Metal student
Metal student
Icy Grave

Number of posts : 229

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 7:07 pm

If you want really black metal/punk influenced stuff, go for Morbid Tales and anything up to and ending with To Mega Therion. Classic shit. For the more doomy, apocalyptic stuff, go look for Monotheist. The track "A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh" is a masterpiece in doom metal. Also, for stuff related to Celtic Frost, go check out Tom G. Warrior's other bands Hellhammer (BM/punk pre-CF) and Triptykon (doom post-CF). Also, Apollyon Sun, which I've never heard of and haven't been curious about listening to.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Celtic Frost was an excellent band. I would suggest getting Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return, To Mega Therion, Into The Pandemonium and Monotheist. All solid albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 pm

I loved all their albums, well except 'Cold Lake' but then nobody is perfect
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 pm

I am in the definite minority on this, but there are even some tracks from Cold Lake that I enjoy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 1:29 am

DeathCult wrote:
I am in the definite minority on this, but there are even some tracks from Cold Lake that I enjoy.

This. The music is good. It was the image change that was a total fail.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 6:44 am

mc666 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

The album has it's moments and plenty of songs that are 'close enough' but it's not a great record. I kind of put Vanity/Nemesis in the same category. Celtic Frost without Martin isn't really Celtic Frost (and yeah, I know he had a limited presence on V/N)
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 11:09 am

Cold Lake is excellent.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 1:39 pm

I like everything they've done, including the much talked about and despised Cold Lake. Vanity/Nemesis is brilliant IMO. Love it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 11:09 pm

mc666 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Once again, +1. I took that album as semi humor, and loved it. The image change was so extreme and silly that I couldn't be offended, it was just a larf.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 am

Last week, I watched the concert video VHS they put out of them playing Live at the Hammersmith Odeon 3.3.'89 - (whole thing is on YouTube now for those that don't have it) - and the Cold Lake songs sounded really good, so it was just the image change and and the record production that ruined it for a lot of old fans.

Still prefer the Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return/Tragic Serenades records , and the HELLHAMMER material, more than the later stuff.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Celtic Frost 34dr2m9
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2017 2:42 am

Only CF album i own is the emperor's return ep, which i picked up in a used cd shop last spring. Solid listen but i need to revisit it.

I am also curious about cold lake, since many fans seem to despise it.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2017 3:14 am

Gilbert wrote:
Only CF album i own is the emperor's return ep, which i picked up in a used cd shop last spring. Solid listen but i need to revisit it.

If you like that one, you should check out Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, and Monotheist. And if you still want more, check out the band Triptikon. Fronted by Tom G. Warrior, they put out two full lengths, and an ep.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2017 3:48 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

If you like that one, you should check out Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, and Monotheist. And if you still want more, check out the band Triptikon. Fronted by Tom G. Warrior, they put out two full lengths, and an ep.

Saw into the pandemonium sitting on a shelf, collecting dust. Might pick it up.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2017 4:13 am

Gilbert wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Saw into the pandemonium sitting on a shelf, collecting dust. Might pick it up.
It's decent, but has some crappy songs on it too IMO.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 am

Noise Recs. just recently re-issued the CF catalog (again)... except for Cold Lake, of course, cuz Tom G. still wishes he could erase that album from existence...

He really oughta re-consider that stance cuz used copies of Cold Lake go for pretty good coin nowadays, so he'd probably make a few bucks off of a reissue of it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost   Celtic Frost Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Celtic Frost
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next