Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost

Go down 
+20
mlotek
stormspell
Joe
Lurideath
biddle
Igor
kmorg
Jesusandmetal23
Gilbert
Leatherface
Stender
A Handful of Wayne
Cognitive Dissonance
manny
Fat Freddy
SpectreFate
mc666
nevermore
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Empty
PostSubject: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 am

So I was over at another metal board where there are a lot of young "kvlt troo metal" fans. They are having this discussion/debate. I'm amazed at how many people are picking Hellhammer over Celtic Frost. I guess it's the "troo arcane metal" thing to choose.

Hellhammer was ok. I don't hate them, but they weren't anything compared to the greatness of Celtic Frost. Frost was a creative force IMO. I even like Cold Lake. I don't really give a rat's ass is others don't like it or think it's too glam. There are some great songs on it. Tom Warrior says he hates it now, but if he hated it so much why did he re-record and remix some of the songs for Parched with Thirst?

Anyhow, I don't get it? Hellhammer were basically a bad Venom clone. BNR metal got it right:
BNM Metal wrote:
Regarded as an influential band in both the death and black black metal fields, Hellhammer's life was intentionally cut short as founder Tom Warrior, realizing the limitations of the band, regrouped and formed the much-improved Celtic Frost. At the time, Apocalyptic Raids drew sharply divided opinions, most finding the raw, simplistic style either brilliant or laughably worthless. Admittedly, this is not a BNR favorite, as the EP is really a pretty amateur affair. What was good about Hellhammer is exactly what Tom took with him to Celtic Frost.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:26 am

It's like you said it's the "troo kvlt" thing with Hellhammer. When that came out I remember reading reviews where it was described as one of the worst things recorded. I think a lot of black metal fans embrace it more now due to that raw, unpolished recording that lots of the newer black metal type stuff is done.

I prefer Celtic Frost too. From the experimentation on Into The Pandemonium to the glammier stuff of Cold Lake. It's just better to my ears.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 am

Hellhammer sucks, Celtic Frost was a good decade ahead of their time.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:26 pm

ultmetal wrote:
So I was over at another metal board where there are a lot of young "kvlt troo metal" fans. They are having this discussion/debate. I'm amazed at how many people are picking Hellhammer over Celtic Frost. I guess it's the "troo arcane metal" thing to choose.

Hellhammer was ok. I don't hate them, but they weren't anything compared to the greatness of Celtic Frost. Frost was a creative force IMO. I even like Cold Lake. I don't really give a rat's ass is others don't like it or think it's too glam. There are some great songs on it. Tom Warrior says he hates it now, but if he hated it so much why did he re-record and remix some of the songs for Parched with Thirst?

Anyhow, I don't get it? Hellhammer were basically a bad Venom clone. BNR metal got it right:
one evolved into the other, it's the same thing in my eyes. just as with Triptykon. i like them all equally. it's got nothing to do with kvlt troo metal, troo arcane metal, or any other ridiculous terms you want to throw around because you love Cold Lake so much.

SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:33 pm

Early CF and Hellhammer are my favorites. Anything after "Tragic Serenades" is just pointless experimentation, IMO. Just a band stabbing in the dark and constantly missing.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:38 pm

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

one evolved into the other, it's the same thing in my eyes. just as with Triptykon. i like them all equally. it's got nothing to do with kvlt troo metal, troo arcane metal, or any other ridiculous terms you want to throw around because you love Cold Lake so much.

Huh? I love Cold Lake so much? I said I like ALL Celtic Frost, including Cold Lake. I certainly don't like it moreso than the rest of their catalog. As a matter of fact, it's not even a favorite. It's just the album they most people seem to needlessly rag on the most from the Frost catalog.

Hellhammer and Celtic Frost are not the same thing. Different band. Different sound. Obviously the was a reason why Tom disbanned Hellhammer and started a new band. Sure, it was what led into Celtic Frost, but it's not the same thing. No more than Lightforce is the same as Mortification because one led into the other, or Hawkwind is the same as Motorhead because one opened up the door for the other. Two different bands. Two different sounds.

As for the "troo kvlt metal" thing, that is a term they use to describe themselves. It's not something I am "thowing around". Someone was even discussing the "cult status" of Hellhammer whereas CF are sellout.

Quote :
Hellhammer for sure. I love everything Hellhammer has done (and like it more then anything Celtic Frost did). Early Celtic Frost was good....but ehhhhhh f*ck off new Celtic Frost

What's wrong with you? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:46 pm

I am no way an expert on any of this since I don't think I've ever heard any Celtic Frost except for their cover of Mexican Radio (eh,it's okay) and the only song I heard from Hellhammer is their song Crucifixion on one of the Metal Massacres (and it's godawful,probably the worst song on any of the MMs). So by that great measuring system,I gotta go with Celtic Frost. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Into The Pandemonium was a masterpiece and one of the most interesting albums of the 80's...and I consider the 80's as one of the most Over-rated periods in music history.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:48 pm

I was never a particularly big CF fan to be honest but compared to what little I've heard of the Hellhammer stuff (it's been years), I'd take C.F. any day. Even "Cherry Orchards" CF.

As for the "tr00 arcane steele" crowd, there will always be those elitists who think that a band's first album (or even their first demo) that nobody else heard but them is the only thing worth listening to, anything else they do is just sellout crap, blah de blah de blah...y'know, that whole "I'm more underground than you" thing.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
that whole "I'm more underground than you" thing.

in other words, MORONS.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Into The Pandemonium was a masterpiece and one of the most interesting albums of the 80's

100% agree, this is an excellent album that holds up today. Hellhammer is ok and without them maybe Celtic Frost would not have happened and the budget to make that Hellhammer album must have been negative 0, I knew even less about production then and even to my ears it sounded cheap.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Hellhammer and Celtic Frost are not the same thing. Different band. Different sound. Obviously the was a reason why Tom disbanned Hellhammer and started a new band. Sure, it was what led into Celtic Frost, but it's not the same thing. No more than Lightforce is the same as Mortification because one led into the other, or Hawkwind is the same as Motorhead because one opened up the door for the other. Two different bands. Two different sounds.
i said it's the same thing in my eyes. however i should have said "to my ears", as early Celtic frost was most definitely an evolution of Hellhammer's core sound. i didn't state that Hellhammer changed their name to Celtic Frost. of course they were two separate entities.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Yes, you can certainly hear the early CF sound in Hellhammer, though the recording is so incredibly raw it makes it very different. It seems that raw (low-budget) recording is what a lot of fans like about it. I can certainly understand that. I think Raven's stuff is the same. Their early recordings were so raw and low-budget, but it's part of the charm of those records IMO.

Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I'd much rather listen to some classic Ultimatum than Celtic or Hellhammer....
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Id take CF. I really didn't think anyone took Hellhammer seriously because it really wasn't around that long and it was pretty underground. Hellhammer wasn't around long enough to prove anything or be influential to anyone at its time. Maybe later on after CF become known and people heard about Hellhammer through that. They had some ideas but nothing like CF became known for. They were more or less a garage band and I don't care how many people will argue at how great they were. They really weren't.

I love CF when they had that reissue of the Hellhammer albums I went right out to pick it up. I heard things here and there and I knew how crappy it sounded. When I finally heard it, it was even worse than I thought.

It boggles my mind when I hear people say they love that raw sound. Music doesn't have to be polished or done with click tracks or any other studio nonsense, but the recording has to be good. Those Hellhammer albums weren't.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Cognitive Dissonance wrote:

Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost 792498
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Stender wrote:

Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost 792498

lol!
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18899

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:29 am

I love both bands, but I'll go with Celtic Frost on this one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 am

I don't love neither.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:30 am

Hellhammer sucks. Frost all the way.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 am

I guess Hellhammer turned out to be very inluential in the long run. Maybe even more so than CF.

Me, I haven't heard a full album from either band.

Metal student
Metal student
Igor

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am

Hellhammer`s LP cover "Apocalyptic raids" kicks ass!!! As for the music its really good for 1984!!! \'arry \'eadbanger \'arry \'eadbanger \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:51 am

i'm glad there are others who can understand what was so special about Hellhammer.

as for the production, being a grindcore, goregrind, crust punk, powerviolence, & black metal fan... i'm used to raw, dismal productions/recordings. it doesn't bother me. to me it comes down to the songs, which Hellhammer had.

i understand how it can turn someone off though. those who get a hard-on when they see Andy Sneap's name on the cd just ain't gonna get it, no matter what.

i still say Celtic Frost were just as good though, for different reasons & in a different way.

SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 9:16 am

Quote :
I love CF when they had that reissue of the Hellhammer albums I went right out to pick it up. I heard things here and there and I knew how crappy it sounded. When I finally heard it, it was even worse than I thought.

Hellhammer had one official EP, the other were demos and sound as such. If you ask me, the early Venom albums sound worse and they were official recordings.
Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 10:06 am

Celtic Frost but I'll agree with this statement:
headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost   Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hellhammer vs. Celtic Frost
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next