Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Celtic Frost Question

Go down 
+8
Boris2008
mc666
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
MetallicSeminarian
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Celtic Frost Question Empty
PostSubject: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:17 am

Well, thanks to this board I am now interested in acquiring some Celtic Frost. My question for you all is: where should I start? Not necessarily what your favorite album is, but what album do you recommend a new listener get first when delving into Frost's catalog? Thanks! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:37 am

I'd say the same as before: 'To Mega Therion', a snapshot of a fully mature Frost which has plenty of roots while still experimenting. You could compile it with 'Morbid Tales' which really is just Hellhammer Pt 2: Better Production Values.

Some people will say only the Hellhammer stuff is worth it as it is the most tr00 but it's 'To Mega Therion' where the thrash, the doom, the atmosphere, everything comes to a head.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:38 am

Unless you want to completely die, not partially, then I would recommend 'Monotheist'.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:42 am

Start with To Mega Therion and then on to Morbid Tales. Then jump to Vanity / Nemesis which (IMO) is their most mature record. After that Monotheist should be next on your list. If you like weird, then try out Into The Pandemonium, but I can't recommend it. (Listen to Believer's Sanity Obscure for this type of metal done correctly) Then after years of listening to Celtic Frost, pick up their ode to glam metal, Cold Lake.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:43 am

So far it seems I need to get To Mega Therion followed by Morbid Tales.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:44 am

Start with Cold Lake, it defines them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:45 am

Dark Horseman wrote:

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:46 am

Dark Horseman wrote:

Celtic Frost Question 647664
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:52 am

I just gotta say it, all joking aside, I LOVED Cold Lake. K got that off my chest.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:54 am

"Whatever happened to Celtic Frost?
Is it true that they got lost
In the Pandemonium
Never to be seen again?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:59 am

corplhicks wrote:
I just gotta say it, all joking aside, I LOVED Cold Lake. K got that off my chest.

I'll probably get Cold Lake eventually. However, it's probably not the album I'm gonna choose as my first from Frost.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
In the Pandemonium
Never to be seen again?"

Is that from S.O.D.'s "Celtic Frosted Flakes?"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:01 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
In the Pandemonium
Never to be seen again?"

Yep. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
In the Pandemonium
Never to be seen again?"

Yep. Very Happy

laughing I thought so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return is probably still my favorite, it's just so damn CATCHY for a dark metal album. All these songs are permanently embedded in my brain.

To Mega Therion (as OCI indicated) is their most mature and fully-realized effort.

Into The Pandemonium does have some tracks that just don't work (I Won't Dance for example) but it also contains some of my favorites; Mesmerized, Inner Sanctum, Babylon Fell, Caress Into Oblivion, Requiem Irae.

Monotheist is the perfect soundtrack for the end of the world, I think playing this album can cause dangerous storm fronts to form in the area.

I'm not a fan of either Vanity/Nemesis or Cold Lake.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Start with Hellhammer. The go into Morbid Tales & continue from there. No reason not to start from the beginning.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:19 pm

In some ways I think that starting at the beginning and Morbid Tales is a great way to go. Yes it's raw, but it's simple, easily digested and contains some of the greatest riffs Sabbath never did. You can pick up a CD with Morbid Tales/Emperors Return fairly cheaply. Then prepare to be blown away by To Mega Therion when you have a good idea of what Frost are all about, then you will appreciate the other stuff more. (which others have explained pretty well)

When you are completely in love with this band, check out Triptykon & Hellhammer as both have CF members and are completely awesome, but probably not going to appeal to the unfamiliar (definitely not Hellhammer)

Last edited by Boris2008 on Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:26 pm

yeah, I would venture into Triptykon maybe close to last, I like that record but it is not quite as on the mark as 'Monotheist', a few songs are, but the focus isn't there..
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Cold Lake and maybe Vanity/Nemesis, that's all you need, you will see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm

I used to play in a band called "Colder Lake", a Celtic Frost tribute to that classic but sadly short lived incarnation of the band.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Listening to Into The Pandemonium now, it's never my go to record when I'm in a Frost mood but for the life of me I can't think why not!

Great album. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks all! I'm thinking of starting with the combo of Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return. That way I'm starting at the beginning (not counting Hellhammer) and I also checked out some samples from the album and really liked what I heard.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm

DEATH ROWNED EM PEAR UGH
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm

stormspell wrote:
Cold Lake and maybe Vanity/Nemesis, that's all you need, you will see.

That you have questionable taste, I can see that just fine. just kidding
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:25 am

Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return is the best!! Start there imo.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Celtic Frost Question   Celtic Frost Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Celtic Frost Question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next