Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Rock Bands

Go down 
+17
bass63
Shawn Of Fire
jettafiend
80s Metal Lady
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
bgsully
Hadley
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
MetalRob331
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 9:26 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Creed isn't even worship music or Christian Rock. Why people always gave it that title, still shocks me.

Surprised at Tremonti in Alter Bridge?  You can hear his brilliance and love for METAL in just about every Creed song.  Scott Stapp is a great songwriter and teamed with Tremonti, it was a perfect fit.  

I don't hate Creed because of their "Christian leanings", I hate them because I feel they gave bands like Nickleback the springboard to popularity; I blame them for the glut of "corporate rock bands" that jammed the radio airwaves in the early part of this decade.

Since I've totally stopped listening to any form of radio these days, my hatred for Creed has lessened somewhat but I still blame them for opening that door.  Plus I just plain think their music sucks; there may be a tune here or there that I can tolerate but "sucks" still best fits my opinion of Creed.
Understandable, but getting your songs played on the radio and becoming popular shouldn't be a reason to be hated.  They just had a formula that they perfected in the early 00's and what was is even funnier is when they released Full Circle  It was heavier so it was accepted more...

Plus there's something about the singer's voice that annoys the hell outta me. Maybe it's because he sounds so "generic" to me.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Stapp is a lot of the reason people dislike them. I personally don't mind his voice, but my love for Creed is with Tremonti's guitar playing..
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Scott Stapp is a great songwriter
Shocked 

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Shocked 
Shawn's pipe dream: Hanson ft Scott Stapp.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:57 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Shocked 
I was gonna go there but I didn't want to mock Hanson LOL...

But... Calling Hanson great songwriters and then acting shocked when I said Stapp is one is Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 3:59 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Shocked 

But... Calling Hanson great songwriters and then acting shocked when I said Stapp is one is Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 
Scott Stapp is a self-pitying, mediocre poet who was extremely lucky to find Mark Tremonti who allowed him to write his banal lyrics and warble over his otherwise cool music.

Hanson are 3 brothers with actual talent.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Shocked 

Scott Stapp is a self-pitying, mediocre poet who was extremely lucky to find Mark Tremonti who allowed him to write his banal lyrics and warble over his otherwise cool music.

Hanson are 3 brothers with actual talent.
I'm not saying Stapp is more talented, but saying he's not a good songwriter is laughable IMO...

Songwriting isn't about lyrics (Stapp's were boring), it's about the melody/hook with the music IMO.. Stapp was very good at his craft . You could say the F BOMB 100 times in a song but if it grabs my attention, i'll like it...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:16 am

MetalRob331 wrote:

I'm not saying Stapp is more talented, but saying he's not a good songwriter is laughable IMO...

Songwriting isn't about lyrics (Stapp's were boring), it's about the melody/hook with the music IMO.. Stapp was very good at his craft .  You could say the F BOMB 100 times in a song but if it grabs my attention, i'll like it...
Songwriting isn't about lyrics?? Seriously? Shocked I know that some guitar players can be kind of short-sighted as to what songwriting actually is (and it's not simply stringing riffs together), but geez...how can songwriting NOT be about lyrics at least a little? Songwriting is the whole package....music, arrangement, lyrics, melodies...all of it.

At least you acknowledge the fact that his lyrics ARE actually boring...so you can't be all bad. Wink 

Were it not for Stapp, I could have liked Creed. Thank god for Alter Bridge.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Songwriting isn't about lyrics (Stapp's were boring), it's about the melody/hook with the music IMO.. Stapp was very good at his craft .  You could say the F BOMB 100 times in a song but if it grabs my attention, i'll like it...
Songwriting isn't about lyrics?? Seriously? Shocked I know that some guitar players can be kind of short-sighted as to what songwriting actually is (and it's not simply stringing riffs together), but geez...how can songwriting NOT be about lyrics at least a little? Songwriting is the whole package....music, arrangement, lyrics, melodies...all of it.

At least you acknowledge the fact that his lyrics ARE actually boring...so you can't be all bad. Wink 

Were it not for Stapp, I could have liked Creed. Thank god for Alter Bridge.
I've never been gaga about Lyrics. I've written hundreds of songs and lyrics are the easiest part IMO. I'm not saying it's not about the lyrics at all, I'm saying that's not the most important part IMO.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

I've never been gaga about Lyrics.
Now she CAN write a song! Laughing very hard 

All I know is that I have heard very little of Creed or Hanson, but I would say that for what they are trying to do, Hanson are miles better, if your aim is to write a catchy song that will stay in people's heads, it doesn't get much better than Mmm Bop.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

All I know is that I have heard very little of Creed or Hanson, but I would say that for what they are trying to do, Hanson are miles better, if your aim is to write a catchy song that will stay in people's heads, it doesn't get much better than Mmm Bop.
Worked out well for them as far as sales go but that song is all over THE WORST SONGS EVER WRITTEN POLLS Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:11 pm

You read too many polls sigh 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

This is about as close to "modern rock" as I get and they actually jump around alot stylistically.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:39 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
If it interests me, I read any and everything that has to do with music. Polls are always fun and are always good for a good laugh...
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
This is about as close to "modern rock" as I get and they actually jump around alot stylistically.  

the second song was pretty cool. I liked it quite a bit. The first one had a bit too much of the electronica element in it for my tastes.

Hey S.D. have you listened to Volbeat?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:53 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Worked out well for them as far as sales go but that song is all over THE WORST SONGS EVER WRITTEN POLLS  Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 

Yeah, because people who vote in polls know about songwriting.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Worked out well for them as far as sales go but that song is all over THE WORST SONGS EVER WRITTEN POLLS  Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 

Yeah, because people who vote in polls know about songwriting.
Who knows... I would hope if you spend your life around music and your job is in the music field you should at least have some knowledge LOL!! Polls are mostly a joke...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 pm

jettafiend wrote:

the second song was pretty cool. I liked it quite a bit. The first one had a bit too much of the electronica element in it for my tastes.

The first track has more of the electronic thing than they usually do, that pretty much only occurred on the one album.

I've heard a couple songs from Volbeat here and there, need to sit down and check out a full album.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm

S.D. wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

The first track has more of the electronic thing than they usually do, that pretty much only occurred on the one album.  

I've heard a couple songs from Volbeat here and there, need to sit down and check out a full album.  
You need to just sit down Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:14 pm

I bought My Own Prison and Human Clay both when they came out and spun them quite a bit. I have not listened to either album in years and I never bought the third album because I got so burned out on the sound of the band as a whole. Scott Stapp wrote some decent songs but mostly they just don't stand up to the test of time. When it was released, I thought that Are You Ready was a STP song until I bought the album because Stapp's singing reminds me so much of Sex Type Thing. don't ask me why, but it just does. What burned me out more than anything else was the picked intro/first verse-heavy distortion on the chorus-pathetic solo-bridge formula that Creed fell into. It was like they wanted to be alternative with 80's power ballad formulas. Instead of doing something unique to them, they were trying a little to hard to combine the formulas for selling records that worked from the previous 2 decades. Almost every song was so stinking predictable that there was no need to keep listening. Unfortunately most modern rock bands fall into this pattern. and then they add in the cookie-monster-on-crack vocals somewhere in the song because it's not cool to actually be able to sing in multiple octaves anymore (See RED for example).

I can't stand how pathetic and trite Chad Kroeger's lyrics are but there is no denying that Nickleback are successful in the modern music scene. How You Remind Me is a great song, but not good enough to save the rest of the discography from the odor of manure that emanates from each CD case. Yes, lyrics are very important to the song and Scott Stapp is mediocre at best, and definitely better than Chad Kroeger.

Edit: I meant Scott Weiland, not necessarily the song Sex Type Thing specifically. I just couldn't remember his name off the top of my head at that moment.

Last edited by jettafiend on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:17 pm

S.D. wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I would recommend Rock the Rebel Metal the Devil and Beyond Heaven Above Hell. Both are solid albums that are fairly accurate of the sound.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
If it interests me, I read any and everything that has to do with music.  Polls are always fun and are always good for a good laugh...
Loudwire Presents:

CAGEMATCH:

MARK TREMONTI VS LEO KOTTKE

*lightning crash, rev of bigass motor*

WHO'S GONNA TAKE THE WORLD TITLE? F*ck YEAH. VOTE NOW OR YOUR A p*ssy.

DON'T FORGET OUR DRUMMER CAGEMATCH: SCOTT TRAVIS VS. SOME KID FROM A BAR!!!

brought to you by Rockstar Energy Drinks.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Lady Gaga has more talent than 90% of the bands you listen to. I've never understand why folks can't appreciate things they don't necessarily like. I'm no fan of Lady Gaga's music, but I know she's a great songwriter and a brilliant musician. Quality is quality. Not hard to recognize that.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Lady Gaga has more talent than 90% of the bands you listen to. I've never understand why folks can't appreciate things they don't necessarily like. I'm no fan of Lady Gaga's music, but I know she's a great songwriter and a brilliant musician. Quality is quality. Not hard to recognize that.
I don't get that about Lady GaGa. I have heard some stuff, but not all and talent was not the first thing that came to mind when I heard her sing. I would venture to replace the Lady GaGa claim with Pink who does write some of her material and Gwen Stefani as well. I can handle listening to Pink but not Gwen either solo or in No Doubt. Back in the day, there were some female pop-stars that had serious pipes, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston come immediately to mind and more recently so does Natasha Bedingfield.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 2:03 pm

Anyway, I love a lot of modern rock bands. Anyway, here's a favorite of mine.

Such a fantastic album. One of my all-time favorites. Front to back it's all hooks and great songwriting. Shame this was their last album (their previous two aren't as good).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Rock Bands
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next