Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Rock Bands

Go down 
+17
bass63
Shawn Of Fire
jettafiend
80s Metal Lady
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
bgsully
Hadley
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
MetalRob331
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Interesting...  

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/entertainment/top_10_best_modern_rock_genres.html

Seems all the bands I mentioned fall under Alternative Metal... What's an alternative to metal?

Fiber Glass..
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 2:41 am

Halestorm, In This Moment, The Letter Black, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Valora... yeah I know, all female fronted. That's kinda my drug.

MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:01 am

mc666 wrote:
Halestorm, In This Moment, The Letter Black, Evanescence, Flyleaf, Valora... yeah I know, all female fronted. That's kinda my drug.
No The Agonist? Hahhaa...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:09 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Well sure. That's kinda what the "..." eluded too. Too many to list entirely.

BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 5:36 am

Hadley wrote:
80s Metal Lady wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
The other thing that bugs me about the modern rock scene, besides sounding very contrived is multi-word band title names, 3 Doors Down being a prime example.
Maybe they're running out of names that haven't been used before? I'm surprised there's a fairly modern band named Killers. I would think that name would've already been used.
Actually,,,

Actually ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 9:35 am

mc666 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Hey if The Agonist were considered Modern Rock, Im sure a lot more ppl would listen to the radio ..

Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 12:59 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Hadley wrote:
80s Metal Lady wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
The other thing that bugs me about the modern rock scene, besides sounding very contrived is multi-word band title names, 3 Doors Down being a prime example.
Maybe they're running out of names that haven't been used before? I'm surprised there's a fairly modern band named Killers. I would think that name would've already been used.
Actually,,,

Actually ... Very Happy
So, can band names be copy written or, if a band becomes famous enough, it is just accepted that their band name be "retired" from use by other bands?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:02 pm

It's boring trademark crap.... you can secure your intellectual property as X band to perform/record/whatever under X name for profit. Death's management is now going through a pretty lame struggle because of the management of the older Detroit rock/punk band who went by the same name...........Chuck's Death has all the cards even though the Detroit band was first, but NONE of that legal stuff was in place and if you know anything about their history they had an unfortunately short-lived career in their decade... now there's sour grapes..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:18 pm

Ghost just had to amend their name to "Ghost B.C." this year in the United States because the noise band Ghost from Japan already has a label deal here. However, in the rest of the world they are still just Ghost.

That's what you get for picking a completely generic name.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:21 pm

Japan Ghost >>>> Sweden Ghost... BTW... You need to check out some of their stuff if you haven't... 'Hypnotic Underworld' blew me away when I first heard it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Japan Ghost >>>> Sweden Ghost... BTW... You need to check out some of their stuff if you haven't... 'Hypnotic Underworld' blew me away when I first heard it...
I've heard them. Those two bands are such complete polar opposites in style that they aren't even comparable. The only thing they have in common is they both play instruments.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 3:36 pm

It's not really meant to be a comparison, but I just have to put it out there because of how totally banal and by the numbers I find the Sweden Ghost to be and how completely overlooked the progpsyche of Ghost is....everything that excites me about metal does not exist with Ghost Sweden...of course, that's the case with most of the bands that set out to be a tribute these days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 4:17 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
It's not really meant to be a comparison, but I just have to put it out there because of how totally banal and by the numbers I find the Sweden Ghost to be and how completely overlooked the progpsyche of Ghost is....everything that excites me about metal does not exist with Ghost Sweden...of course, that's the case with most of the bands that set out to be a tribute these days.
I think Ghost was really just a clever idea by a pop songwriter who borrowed some imagery from metal and figured out a way to sell it to that audience. It's a smart, calculated business decision.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 4:20 pm

S.D. wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I think Ghost was really just a clever idea by a pop songwriter who borrowed some imagery from metal and figured out a way to sell it to that audience.  It's a smart, calculated business decision.

I couldn't get into them. And I love the kind of music they pay homage to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 4:31 pm

corplhicks wrote:

I couldn't get into them. And I love the kind of music they pay homage to.
I liked the debut album, thought it was fantastically clever in an ironic sort of way, but it didn't have any kind of shelf life. I listened to it quite a bit for about a month and then I was done.

Saw them live and that sparked a couple more spins of the debut, then it went back on the shelf.

The latest album I listened to a couple times on Spotify, but then decided I would never listen to it so I didn't bother buying it.

It's expertly executed schtick masquerading as a serious band.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 9:24 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Hey if The Agonist were considered Modern Rock, Im sure a lot more ppl would listen to the radio ..

Sorry, but that sounds like modern rock to me. I certainly wouldn't call it metal. I like The Agonist though. I don't know why some people feel the need to only like bands they can squeeze under the "metal" umbrella. Do you like it or not? That's all that matters.

And for the record, at least in the U.S., if more modern rock sounded like The Agonist, then LESS people would listen to the radio. Slipknot/Stone Sour changed the game for modern rock/metal. They made the more heavy stuff viable/commercial & guaranteed at least it's in play. This stuff is always less popular with the masses though.

MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:05 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
mc666 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Sorry, but that sounds like modern rock to me. I certainly wouldn't call it metal. I like The Agonist though. I don't know why some people feel the need to only like bands they can squeeze under the "metal" umbrella. Do you like it or not? That's all that matters.

And for the record, at least in the U.S., if more modern rock sounded like The Agonist, then LESS people would listen to the radio. Slipknot/Stone Sour changed the game for modern rock/metal. They made the more heavy stuff viable/commercial & guaranteed at least it's in play. This stuff is always less popular with the masses though.
The Agonist not "metal?" I'm not a huge fan of The Agonist but I like a few songs. If that song was considered Modern Rock, these other bands mentioned would be considered country Laughing very hard Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 12:09 pm

S.D. wrote:
I always forget about Foo Fighters.  Okay, so then it's QOTSA and Foo Fighters.
Yea, I'd forget about the Foo Fighters too. I guess in my mind, I don't think of them as modern rock radio. They seem to pre-date that term to me. They seemed to be marketed as "alt-rock" for the first few albums as I recall.

I don't recall hearing the term "modern rock" until the early '00s maybe? Whenever the post-grunge, watered-down Pearl Jam wannabes starting popping up, like Creed and Nickelback. And right around the time I stopped listening to the radio. Razz 

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 12:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Yea, I'd forget about the Foo Fighters too. I guess in my mind, I don't think of them as modern rock radio. They seem to pre-date that term to me. They seemed to be marketed as "alt-rock" for the first few albums as I recall.

I don't recall hearing the term "modern rock" until the early '00s maybe? Whenever the post-grunge, watered-down Pearl Jam wannabes starting popping up, like Creed and Nickelback. And right around the time I stopped listening to the radio. Razz 
Creed........ Such an amazing band
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 1:20 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Creed........  Such an amazing band
No no no no no no no no. No.

I can't listen to Creed. If I do, my intestines liquefy. Followed by a violent voiding of the bowels. Because, you know. That's what the music sounds like.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 1:50 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I can't listen to Creed. If I do, my intestines liquefy. Followed by a violent voiding of the bowels. Because, you know. That's what the music sounds like.
One of my fav bands of all time...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 4:10 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

One of my fav bands of all time...
Sorry, man. Creed is absolutely horrible. My dad ate up all those CD's and I heard every track three times a day at home and I never liked them from the start. I fact, there's a few Nickleback tunes I can call at most listenable. Creed doesn't have a single song like that. Strapp's Vedder emulation, Tremonti's muddy tone (with all due respect to Tremonti; he's a fabulous if derivative guitarist), and sappy or artificial songwriting, and boring, dragging, lifeless riffs. Tremonti truly surprised me with Alter Bridge; I was not expecting something so hard-edged and, well, metal from him. I also hated how huge they were back in the day, nonstop on the radio, everybody at my church going on and on about them, and even the goddamn worship team decided to include Arms Wide f*cking Open into their setlist. That's the other thing; everyone thought they were a christian band, like Evanesence [sp] and U2. Best for another thread here but when will these idiots stop theorizing a band's potential religion according to a loose lyrical abstract of their body of work?? But I digress...if you like 'em, more power to you, but as for me and my house, we will hate the Creed. Me Chapter 6 Verses 1-16.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Creed isn't even worship music or Christian Rock. Why people always gave it that title, still shocks me.

Surprised at Tremonti in Alter Bridge? You can hear his brilliance and love for METAL in just about every Creed song. Scott Stapp is a great songwriter and teamed with Tremonti, it was a perfect fit.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 6:56 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Creed isn't even worship music or Christian Rock. Why people always gave it that title, still shocks me.

Surprised at Tremonti in Alter Bridge?  You can hear his brilliance and love for METAL in just about every Creed song.  Scott Stapp is a great songwriter and teamed with Tremonti, it was a perfect fit.  

I don't hate Creed because of their "Christian leanings", I hate them because I feel they gave bands like Nickleback the springboard to popularity; I blame them for the glut of "corporate rock bands" that jammed the radio airwaves in the early part of this decade.

Since I've totally stopped listening to any form of radio these days, my hatred for Creed has lessened somewhat but I still blame them for opening that door. Plus I just plain think their music sucks; there may be a tune here or there that I can tolerate but "sucks" still best fits my opinion of Creed.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Surprised at Tremonti in Alter Bridge?  You can hear his brilliance and love for METAL in just about every Creed song.  Scott Stapp is a great songwriter and teamed with Tremonti, it was a perfect fit.  

I don't hate Creed because of their "Christian leanings", I hate them because I feel they gave bands like Nickleback the springboard to popularity; I blame them for the glut of "corporate rock bands" that jammed the radio airwaves in the early part of this decade.

Since I've totally stopped listening to any form of radio these days, my hatred for Creed has lessened somewhat but I still blame them for opening that door.  Plus I just plain think their music sucks; there may be a tune here or there that I can tolerate but "sucks" still best fits my opinion of Creed.
Understandable, but getting your songs played on the radio and becoming popular shouldn't be a reason to be hated.  They just had a formula that they perfected in the early 00's and what was is even funnier is when they released Full Circle  It was heavier so it was accepted more...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Rock Bands
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next