Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best "modern" power metal bands

Go down 
+15
ZombieHavoc
Runicen
metalhead777
Temple of Blood
Citanul
Hadley
BearOnUnicycle
Thrasher73
TheGreatDuck
Lari
corplhicks
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
ze_mau
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

Best "modern" power metal bands Empty
PostSubject: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 6:43 pm

What are your favourites ? by "modern" power metal I mean PM produced starting 1996 or so when Power Metal started to rise again in Europe , Japan and South America ( and here in Brasil of course ) while in America "tha" thing was the rise of the Nu Metal CRAP.

There are many bands I like and some I dislike. I tend to like more bands that don´t overproduce their music with choruses and also don´t sound like too "feminine" so ...

-Stratovarius
-Hammerfall
-Angel Dust
-Iron Savior
-Edguy
-Primal Fear

These and others are fantastic bands. IMO Power Metal is the purest form of Metal that exists. that´s because it had no influence of punk hardcore. only hard rock , heavy metal and classic music which are the true roots of metal.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 6:48 pm

By stating that I´m not saying I don´t like Thrash , Crossover and stuff like that but Thrash Metal for example brought the speed and the more "humble" atitude from punk HC. But I think that in terms of melody, Thrash sounds NOTHING like Punk HC ( because if it sounded I would like HC but I just can´t swallow it , except for Crossover bands )
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 6:58 pm

While I generally don't follow this genre anymore, one band I do still follow is Sabaton.  I think they have a sound which stands out from the rest of the European PM crowd (it's the vocals IMO)

BTW, the other cool thing about Sabaton is most of their songs are about historic wars and battles; no dragons here.

Last edited by tohostudios on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Above mentioned Sabaton are incredible. This is a hard subject for me to narrow down. Here's my condensed list...

My favorites:

Blind Guardian

Falconer

Timeless Miracle

Wuthering Heights

Tyr

Dark Moor

Sacred Steel

Elvenking

Jag Panzer

Masterplan

Nocturnal Rites

Nostradameus

Powerwolf

Rob Rock

Sonata Arctica

Soulspell (Brazilian Metal Opera a la Avantasia)

Avantasia

Cage

Kiuas
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:12 pm

Well since Dragonforce it seems like this style have waned in popularity. I like NOT Over Produced Power Metal. I CANNOT stand bands like Rhapsody of fire.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:31 pm

I've recently given up on trying to like Sabaton; they just don't click for me even though I really thought they would. Anyway, if we're talking the EU theater there's only a handful that I care for, and even then it's spotty with my enjoyment, such as Hammerfall who has a few good albums. If we're talking US, Iced Earth is one of my all-time favorite contemporary PM bands, hands down.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Another one I'd recommend is Dark At Dawn. And again I think the vocals are what set them apart for me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39584

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 8:10 pm

This is a tough one to choose. It's a style I really enjoy and I have many fave bands in it. Moat of those listed are pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 8:24 pm

Mystic Prophecy is the band for me.

I do agree with melodic power metal being the closest to the origins of metal (like Led Zep, Rainbow), while still combining a modern sound to it.

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Rob Rock

Yes!
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:
While I generally don't follow this genre anymore, one band I do still follow is Sabaton.  I think they have a sound which stands out from the rest of the European PM crowd (it's the vocals IMO)

BTW, the other cool thing about Sabaton is most of their songs are about historic wars and battles; no dragons here.

Well that seems to always be the main argument, "LOL I normally don't like power metal but Sabaton are good, they don't have those high-pitched clean vocals". The same goes for Iced Earth, even though they have a better claim to being the best power metal band around (which they are not). I find Sabaton's vocalist a bit annoying and will personally take random Tate/Kiske/Kotipelto clone over him any day.

The greatest power metal band that debuted in the last 20 years IMO:

Also dig these guys, nice Blind Guardian worship:

And an earlier band some of the ex-band members were/are in:

Also, Blind Guardian debuted back in '88 and Stratovarius in '89, so I don't think they should be mentioned here.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:23 pm

Yeah, Savage Circus is total BG worship but I dig 'em anyway. 

I used to like Iron Savior too but they "Hammerfalled" on me (meaning they got boring because every album sounded the same to me).

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Yeah, Savage Circus is total BG worship but I dig 'em anyway. 

Like that would be a reason for not liking them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 pm

It is for some people.

But I don't buy into that philosophy.  I like AC/DC so if a band sounds just like AC/DC I will dig 'em. Same thing applies to Savage Circus vis a vis Blind Guardian.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:31 pm

I never understood why someone would hate a band that sounds like a band they like. Provided they make good music, of course.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Totally agree.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 2:51 am

I like some of it.Mostly the straight forward stuff like Nightmare,Bloodbound,Edguy,Mystic Prophecy,etc.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 5:43 am

Sabaton, Powerwolf, Astral Doors, Lost Horizon. Some others here and ther in the EU secene.
Onward, Pharaoh, Sacred Oath, Jacobs Dream for the US.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 8:47 am

No love for Theocracy?

Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 9:54 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
I never understood why someone would hate a band that sounds like a band they like. Provided they make good music, of course.

DITTO !!!
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 11:51 am

I have a few favourites which I tend to throw into conversations about power metal.

And just to be patriotic, here's a South African band.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 11:57 am

To me, CAULDRON BORN is the best. And ONWARD is incredible too. There are some other good ones but none approaching the overall quality of those two bands.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Dragon Guardian is my favorite out of those that haven't really been listed yet. Not very known, but very catchy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 1:25 pm

I've really dug what I've heard of Dragon Guardian, but I can't seem to find their stuff on anything but crap MP3 services (Amazon and eMusic have a few of their albums each). Any idea where I could actually get FLAC or CDs of their stuff?
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Runicen wrote:
I've really dug what I've heard of Dragon Guardian, but I can't seem to find their stuff on anything but crap MP3 services (Amazon and eMusic have a few of their albums each).  Any idea where I could actually get FLAC or CDs of their stuff?
If you want a CD, it seems you're sadly stuck importing from Japan.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 4:43 pm

I would say punk rock is very much part of the essence of heavy metal.

But to answer the question: Hammerfall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best "modern" power metal bands   Best "modern" power metal bands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best "modern" power metal bands
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: