Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Rock Bands

Go down 
+17
bass63
Shawn Of Fire
jettafiend
80s Metal Lady
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
bgsully
Hadley
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
MetalRob331
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:03 pm

What are some of your favorite Modern Rock Bands? You know those bands that get steady airtime on the radio that "TRUE METALHEADS" seem to not like because they are popular Laughing very hard Laughing very hard ..

Bands like

Three Days Grace
Nickelback
Breaking Benjamin
Papa Roach
Theory of a Deadman
3 Doors Down
Shinedown.................. You get the point!

Some of my favorite bands like Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, My Darkest Days, Theory of a Deadman, and Halestorm are all over rock radio as they should be...
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Swedish band, they sound good. Is on the radio a lot. I only own Latest Version of the Truth, and I'm kind of happy with that since it doesn't seem like they have too many awesome songs.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm

If Mustasch was played on the radio (around here) I would actually listen to it hahaha!!!

great band indeed...
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:15 pm

The following song refuses to leave my head for 3 days already. Youtubed other stuff - sounds enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:21 pm

The bands loved on these pages have sold squillions of albums all around the world.

But yes, people don't like Nickleback purely because they are popular, not because they are lousy and annoying. Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The bands loved on these pages have sold squillions of albums all around the world.

But yes, people don't like Nickleback purely because they are popular, not because they are lousy and annoying. Rolling Eyes 
This is about "modern" rock, so it really has nothing to do with Priest, Aerosmith, Maiden, Metallica.. Those are some of the best bands EVER to most of the music world, so of course they sell a lot of albums.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:36 pm

My theory on popular Modern Rock is that it's manufactured bullshit, no different to Taylor Swift or One Direction, but it gets the exposure because the right people are pushing it.

There are many fantastic modern bands, but they don't get the exposure/radio play.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:40 pm

I've heard Nickleback thoroughly. A co-worker burned me every album up to 2006. They are lousy and annoying. I've not heard them since.

Contrived, derivative, lazy, douchey, trite, cliched, gratuitous, etc, etc, etc. I would say the worst band working today but that title goes to ICP.

The other bands you mention, Rob, aren't terrible, but Shinedown is horribly one-dimensional even if memorable. I dunno...that's the thing about modern rock. It's a very narrow channel with the same ol same ol.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:52 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I've heard Nickleback thoroughly. A co-worker burned me every album up to 2006. They are lousy and annoying. I've not heard them since.

Contrived, derivative, lazy, douchey, trite, cliched, gratuitous, etc, etc, etc. I would say the worst band working today but that title goes to ICP.

The other bands you mention, Rob, aren't terrible, but Shinedown is horribly one-dimensional even if memorable. I dunno...that's the thing about modern rock. It's a very narrow channel with the same ol same ol.
Those were examples... Im not a fan of Nickelback but they have some great rockers.  

The list of some of my fav MODERN bands would consist of..

Alter Bridge
Halestorm
Skillet
Breaking Benjamin
Thousand Foot Krutch
Shinedown
In This Moment
My Darkest Days
Black Stone Cherry
Adelitas Way
Theory of a Deadman
Escape the Fate
Atreyu
Cavo
Pop Evil
Egypt Central
Emphatic
Aranda
Volbeat
Like a Storm
POD

I need MELODY in my music and that's why Im so picky when it comes to metal bands anymore... If you don't grab me in with hooks, a killer riff, excellent musicianship, and groove, I will just go on to the next...

Least with these bands  (with the exception of a few) it's simple...

Last edited by MetalRob331 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:59 pm

Nickelback. Because lame frat boys and rednecks who drive sports cars need SOMETHING new to listen to besides old Motley Crue and Pantera cassettes.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm

That's a decent list; not my cup of tea again but miles better than Nickleshit. Breaking Benjamin is actually a guilty pleasure of mine.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 pm

I don't listen to the radio so have no idea about "current" stuff at all, to be honest... but I'm actually fine with that. Very Happy

A while ago one of my co-workers loaned me a couple of CDs that he thought I might dig, one was Black Veil Brides and the other was The Pretty Reckless. Neither one left much of an impression.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 4:23 pm

I dont mind some of the current stuff. I like Saliva, Skillet, Disturbed, Volbeat, Avenged Sevenfold, and some of the other radio rock acts. Its just that the same problem that happened to 80s hair metal is happening where pretty much all the bands sound the same and are interchangable. They may be good songs by them, but its pretty much generic.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Breaking Benjamin, POD, Alter Bridge.......that's about all I can think of at the moment. Nickelback is pure crap, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Shinedown is one of my favorites; I still spin Amaryllis frequently.  And a band who didn't start out as "modern rock" but certainly went that direction on their last album IMO is Charm City Devils.  And I enjoy Pop Evil quite a bit too.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 6:47 pm

F em.

Unless Live is/was considered modern rock. I love Live.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
F em.

I really dig the first couple Live albums then they went off the deep end with that Secret Samadhi album and starting singing about dolphins crying and crap on later albums. Blecch! But I really like Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper (even if it was massively overplayed).

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 7:00 pm

I just perused Amazon to make sure I didn't miss something about Live. Apparently, I didn't:

Quote :
Outside of "Throwing Copper" (1994), this "Best Of" compilation might be all the Live you need. It absolutely hits on all the highlights of each album. Tracks 1-3 find the band in raw form from "Mental Jewelry"... singing and playing like they had something to prove. "Operation Spirit" and "Pain Lies On The Riverside" were the standout songs and worthy of inclusion here. Tracks 4-8 are from "Throwing Copper" - easily their biggest and most recognized tunes. "Copper" had so many great songs - and Kowalczyk never sang with such conviction. The melodies were most importantly... memorable. And then Kowalczyk shaved his head and went Zen on everyone. For me, "Secret Samadhi" (1997) was the start of the decline for Live. "Lakini's Juice" was my favorite track from this one because of the weird guitar chords. "Turn My Head" was the other good tune from "Samadhi", but the rest of the album was a mixed bag at best. Kowalczyk singing about spirit, his Holiness, angel wings, birds and dolphins crying in the near future was losing audiences. Not to mention the music just not being that strong - outside of a few tracks on each album - all of which are here on "Awake - Best Of Live". The Distance To Here" made some waves but quickly lost steam and fell from the charts. Their fifth album "V" (labeled as "experimental") was trashed by most major music mags. "Birds Of Pray" was a semi return to form, but once again garnered mixed reviews and almost no FM-airplay. The unreleased "We Deal With Dreams" was an extra song from the "Throwing Copper" sessions and is a nice inclusion here. Live's remake of Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line" is nothing out of the ordinary, but still respectable. Missing are a few personal favorites (but by no means essential) - "Iris", "Top", "White, Discussion", "Ghost", "Voodoo Lady", and "Graze". This is a fantastic disc because it has the band's best songs over their 1st dozen years ALL in one place. Despite Live's 2nd half fall from the charts, this is a stellar introduction to the band
I swear I only checked Amazon review AFTER I posted my opinion. Looks like I'm not alone.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Now Shinedown on the other hand just keeps getting better:

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
F em.

Live had something entirely new to offer. Current trendy bands do not.

EDIT: I prefer to call Live "alternative." Does anyone remember that genre tag?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
F em.

Live had something entirely new to offer. Current trendy bands do not.

Well a lot of these bands would prolly be considered Alternative Rock Laughing very hard 

Back to top Go down

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Yes, that was what we used to call stuff like R.E.M. in the late 80s...or basically any band featured on MTV's "120 minutes".  I also remember hearing people describe it as "College Rock" or variations thereof.

These days I would think the alternative tag would make sense for bands like The Fleet Foxes or My Morning Jacket.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 7:59 pm

RIP Alternative.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Yes, that was what we used to call stuff like R.E.M. in the late 80s...or basically any band featured on MTV's "120 minutes".  I also remember hearing people describe it as "College Rock" or variations thereof.

These days I would think the alternative tag would make sense for bands like The Fleet Foxes or My Morning Jacket.  

Yep - I remember the "alt rock" tag....

As far as most modern rock..... IF it was any good I would listen to it....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 8:16 pm

I think some of it is good but I also think a lot of it is generic, manufactured crap (I'm looking at you Nickelback).

Try this Charm City Devils track:

Modern Rock Bands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Rock Bands   Modern Rock Bands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Rock Bands
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next