Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?

Go down 
+14
Smindas
mr.electric39
caniplaywithmadness?
SAHB Healer
Hamer12
KissinMaiden
sovdat
Wargod
kmorg
Fat Freddy
TH Joe
mc666
ultmetal
Required Fields
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Empty
PostSubject: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Has anyone heard Metallica make reference to liking modern metal bands? Do they like modern thrash metal bands like Andralls or Pitch Black, or modern death metal like Necrophagist or Psycroptic, or modern power metal, or current traditional metal bands? Do they even care about what bands they toured with in the 80s are up to now, like Metal Church?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 11:34 pm

I remember reading a few years ago where Metallica were talking about
"their contemporaries" and they were talking about bands like Korn and
Linkin Park. I think Metallica lost touch with real Metal a looooong
time ago. It's all about the mainstream for them now. Sad for a band
that use to be big metal fans themselves.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 12:43 am

i remember James saying how much he enjoyed Down.

TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 1:38 am

Aren't these the same guys that used to be HUGE nwobhm fans? Isn't that why they started Metallica?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 7:08 am

I vaguely remember when Metallica was working on "St. Anger" either Kirk or James mentioned that it was going to be "real heavy, like Entombed." What a crock that turned out to be eh?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 1:18 pm

Lars was a huge Oasis fan also during the 90's. Yeah, it is really sad, as they were huge metal fans. I think Lars mentioning System of a Down as a favorite these days.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 1:37 pm

just because they like other forms of music now, doesn't mean they no longer like NWOBHM, & Mercyful Fate, & Misfits, etc etc.
the same way many of you guys listen to stuff like Boston & Prince. people have different tastes.

as far as touring goes... i remember they took Vader out in Europe somewhere. probably Poland.

Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 1:40 pm

They haven't a clue about real metal!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Well why do you care about it at all? It was ONCE a great, great metal band, and is now a 180° flip around.

But anyway, Lars was very hyped when he was talking that he was listening to Cold, and it was just too much for him and he really needed to see them live.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 2:15 pm

kirk was saying something about dragonforce on one of his interviews.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 4:45 pm

If they had listened to their own first 3 albums, then St Anger probably would'nt have been such a turd!!!!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Perhaps Kirk has some interest in modern metal - or at least moreso than James and Lars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 9:36 pm

it really makes me pissed that they promote that crap on their tours, why not take out merciless death or somthing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 10:40 pm

You'd be amazed at how many metal musicians listen to VERY non-metal music. Why is it such a big deal if Metallica doesn't listen to metal bands?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 11:18 pm

Yeah, I know it's a problem for some guys. At one time Glenn Hughes was pretty frustrated about being typecast as a hard rocker; when his passion was for the blues. He seems to have made peace with himself now. It's funny how the evolution of some bands is accepted by their fans, and how sometimes it's not. Unpredictable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2007 11:33 pm

ultmetal wrote:

If Metallica lumps themselves in with those band, you know their in trouble.Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2007 3:05 am

They like many styles of music. Recently, Lars said that he felt a lot of pleasure in listening to old Maiden and Saxon records, and that that was because there was so little new music that he could be interested in. So my guess is that no, they don't like modern metal.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2007 5:04 am

kirk hammett was wearing a trivium shirt when i saw them at download festival last year. i'll let you decide if thats a good thing...
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2007 4:08 pm

Parksey wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

If Metallica lumps themselves in with those band, you know their in trouble.Laughing very hard

Yep.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2007 4:27 pm

I guess we'll know when they release their next disc.... Hopefully it won't take as long as 'Chinese Democracy'.... oh yea that ain't out yet.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Eyesore wrote:
You'd be amazed at how many metal musicians listen to VERY non-metal music. Why is it such a big deal if Metallica doesn't listen to metal bands?

That's what I say...why does anyone care?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 8:46 am

None of us listen to exclusively metal, surely? It's an expansive genre but there's no shame in having your tastes laid across the entire spectrum of music.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 am

Yeah, a lot of us here like some non-metal stuff. I listen to mostly metal, but do listen to some other stuff from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Of course not.
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 7:27 pm

I just want to hear their new stuff and see how things turn out. There are "supposedly" going to be solos on this new cd, so that's a step in the right direction.

As for me, I listen to a bunch of different stuff...but nu-metal sucks. Through and through!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?   Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do Metallica listen to any modern, REAL metal bands?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next