Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.

Go down 
+10
nevermore
Eyesore
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
Addy
exact33
DallasBlack
MoonChild
kmorg
Chrome Locust
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:47 pm

The previous topic about Zimmerman was closed because it was decided this particular forum is not the appropriate place to have these types of discussions. Now we've just moved the discussion to here.

Don't be surprised when this one gets closed too.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:33 pm

S.D. wrote:
The previous topic about Zimmerman was closed because it was decided this particular forum is not the appropriate place to have these types of discussions.  Now we've just moved the discussion to here.

Don't be surprised when this one gets closed too.
I didn't see the other thread, but I'm not sure why someone determined that these types of conversations shouldn't be allowed here. We are adults, and if we can talk like adults, then I don't see what the problem is.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm

The point is to avoid undue drama. It's a music board, if people want to talk politics, religion or social issues there are hundreds of other boards to choose from.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 2:09 pm

S.D. wrote:
The point is to avoid undue drama.  It's a music board, if people want to talk politics, religion or social issues there are hundreds of other boards to choose from.
But there's a better way to deal with it. Instead of just banning certain subjects altogether, by saying this is a music board — which completely ignores the fact that there are hundreds of non-music discussions going on here — just moderate the discussions like moderators should. If someone starts acting like a dickhead, ask them to stop. If they don't stop, ban them.

People can have great discussions on forums, even on subjects such as race, politics, and religion.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 3:41 pm

exact33 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I missed a Zimmerman thread? Shit! I love pointing out how absolutely wrong people are concerning that whole mess.

Go for it now!! lol! 
I was defriended by 17 people on Facebook between the day and the day after he was found not guilty. Haha.

http://www.dlas.org/questions-zimmerman-verdict

Give that link a gander.

I've also pissed off a number of people who have posted that crap about the woman who fired "warning shots" and got 20 years. Because, of course, no one cares to actually learn what really happened.

interesting survey. No way cracker is meant to be a 'descriptive term'. Its used to describe white folks - which is by definition racist.

You are so wrong! A cracka (as it is pronounced) is a person acting like they are a police. Very Happy 

the term is a racial stereotype normally used in describing poor white people.  You can make an argument that it is not racist is Georgia or Florida. In terms of usage by Martin, it was meant to be a racial slur.

Come on, you know me better than that, I'm on the same page with you on this issue. I was just joking using the words of the prosecution's "star" witness. You know, the same genius who said Martin wasn't bash, he was just whoop asssss.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Eyesore wrote:
just moderate the discussions like moderators should. If someone starts acting like a dickhead, ask them to stop. If they don't stop, ban them.

When you are ready to pay someone to work full-time moderating the board then please let Kurt know.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 7:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
just moderate the discussions like moderators should. If someone starts acting like a dickhead, ask them to stop. If they don't stop, ban them.

When you are ready to pay someone to work full-time moderating the board then please let Kurt know.
Full time? This forum has 9,000 goddamn moderators!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

lose all the zeroes and you got it right.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:01 pm

exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

lose all the zeroes and you got it right.
Still enough moderators—and way more than most forums have—that moderating shouldn't be an issue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Still enough moderators—and way more than most forums have—that moderating shouldn't be an issue.

It just isn't the appropriate forum for those discussions.  If you really want to talk about those subjects then feel free to visit other sites for that.

This is not open for negotiation. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:47 pm

First, the general problem with the primary post is that CL was being overly deliberate and dramatic. It wasn't the subject matter per se that ruffled feathers, it was his tone.

Second, S.D., you're one of my most highly respected members here, but in regards to the subject in hand, you don't have to be a dick about it. Everything should be open to negotiation around here, otherwise you're apt to minimize the value of everyone who makes this community a thing. I re-read the forum rules and found nothing against political topics. What I did find was this:

Quote :
4 - FORUMS AND AREAS
Use the correct forum and/or area for you posting. There is a correct place for everything on this board. And it's easier for others to contribute when they actually find your thread, AND know what it is about.
[emphasis mine]

Look, I don't want to get involved in this topic, but others do, and treating them like children is not a proper method of moderating. The argument that more moderators is needed is transparent. Hell, why don't we create an additional one or two threads for politics and religion and let me moderate them?

As for this being a metal board, then why is this topic being thoroughly discussed on various other forums out there? James Berardinelli's ReelViews.com has pages on Zimmerman. Of course it gets hot, but everyone has a good resolve. Plus, this is not a fully politically situation, but moreover a social one.

I don't understand, either, why we have a thread about Anthony Wiener but this is considered taboo, or worthy of censorship.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 pm

By the way...

Quote :
Quote :
thejokeriv wrote:
This is not something that needs to be discussed on a METAL board.

That too.

I had written that reply in the previous thread. Now that I've had time to think about it, I was wrong. Thematically, metal transcends topics like religion and politics all the time. I believe we can too, being a brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:57 pm

We have a thread about Anthony Weiner because it appeals to our collective, juvenile sense of humor.
The whole Trayvon/Zimmerman thing... Not so much.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Most here give a sh*t about anyone's politics. Save it for somewhere else, We are content discussing entertainment. Musical & otherwise.

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:24 pm

mc666 wrote:
Most here give a sh*t about anyone's politics. Save it for somewhere else, We are content discussing entertainment. Musical & otherwise.

I'm 100% in agreement, glad to see someone else feels the same way.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:34 pm

S.D. wrote:
mc666 wrote:

I'm 100% in agreement, glad to see someone else feels the same way.  

Two people.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

It just isn't the appropriate forum for those discussions.  If you really want to talk about those subjects then feel free to visit other sites for that.

This is not open for negotiation.  Thanks.
Some people like to have intelligent discussion on all subjects. You guys created a forum for "discussing general subjects that are not related to music," but limit what "general subjects" entails on a whim? Pffft!  

Why have moderators if you have no desire to actually moderate when things get a bit heated? Because you don't have time? Then give up your silly moderator title and lose your access to the other hidden forum where you guys talk shit about everyone and let someone else moderate.

Cue the final word followed by the locking of this thread. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Eyesore on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 1:00 am

Glad to see everyone took the time to discuss my arguments further instead of dishing out generic one-sentence shutouts that have little relevance to truly addressing the issue at hand--therefore assuming your readers as stupid folk--and I'm especially glad you've taken into consideration my very sound and logical point about what mods are doing have nothing to do with the rules they wrote. How intellectually sound. don\'t know 

Look, if you don't want political...and dammit for the second time I said this was a social issue...dialogue on this forum, then fine; but at least put it in the goddamn rules.

Quote :
Why have moderators if you have no desire to actually moderate when things get a bit heated? Because you don't have time? Then give up your silly moderator title and lose your access to the other hidden forum where you guys talk shit about everyone and let someone else moderate.

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 4:35 am

The sad thing is that this thread became crap for other reasons than the topic. Sheesh.

Why is it that some people are so hell bent on thinking they know better how to run this board? Go create your own board if you don't like how we do things here. And please come back and invite us so we can come to your booard to heckle you about the way you choose to run things!

And Ken, if you think the admin area is there to slander people, you are out of your mind.

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.   Sorry, people,  for Zimmerman thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sorry, people, for Zimmerman thread.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2