Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Foo Fighters

Go down 
+19
Witchfinder
mr.electric39
Eyesore
Red Kitty
A Handful of Wayne
MetalRob331
Shawn Of Fire
mc666
Boris2008
Citanul
DevZor
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
manny
Addy
corplhicks
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:48 am

I've been scratching my head for a long time wondering what it is that people love about in this band. Not that they're bad or anything, Grohl is a great musician. But it's all music that seems in line with radio rock. I had their first four albums but they did nothing for me; One by One was, to me, borderline emo with some fairly conventional songwriting. Yet it's been praised as being groundbreaking. What am I missing?
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 6:19 am

First of all there was a discussion already on this band http://www.heartofmetal.net/t5363-foo-fighters?highlight=foo+fighters

I am a huge fan of the foo fighters and have been since 1995. I love just about every release theyve put out but their best albums IMO are their first 2. My personal favorite is the first album. I wouldnt call them groundbreaking but I definitely enjoy them. One by One is not a good example of their work though there's some good songs on that album. I dont think I can really answer your question I just like em, Id even say borderline fanboy when it comes to the Foos. For me about 6 months before Kurt Cobain killed himself I was just getting into Nirvana. I was already a fan of Dave Grohl because of his drumming on Nevermind. So when he started the Foo Fighters it was something to take its place at least for me. I mean who knew what Grohl would go on to accomplish especially when Kurt was considered the talent in Nirvana? If you were someone who was checking the Foos out I would definitly suggest their first album its the best! Grohl did everything on that album.

Have you checked out ProBot? That if you are more into Metal might be something youd enjoy.
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am

I like the Foo Fighters because these guys write good songs, nothing fancy, very catchy, with memorable chorues. What more could you ask for.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:55 am

Dave Grohl seems like a pretty cool guy and what little I've heard of the Foo's on the radio over the years sounds catchy enough, I've just never bothered to investigate them any further.

I love his "Probot" metal side project album, though. He needs to do another one of those. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 am

It to me awhile to warm up to these guys, but I'm happy I finally did. I'm a big fan now. In fact, I'm listening to In Your Honor as I type this. They are great live too. Tons of energy and excitement from Dave. You can tell he really enjoys it and not just going through the paces.

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 pm

When it comes to really good straight-ahead ROCK that has enough mass appeal to fill arenas in this day and age I have a hard time coming up with any competition for them. Good songwriting, a band that can actually play and a leader that understands and respects the artists that influenced him. Gotta give them props for that.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Addy wrote:
First of all there was a discussion already on this band http://www.heartofmetal.net/t5363-foo-fighters?highlight=foo+fighters

Oops, should have searched for that, sorry.

My guess is with all the hype I was getting about them at the time, it was rather a letdown when I heard them. Fans around me were declaring "Dave Grohl's a musical genius!" and "all hail the mighty Foo!" that when I started listening to them, I thought, "that's it?"

I'll check out Probot. Dave's a cool guy; I like watching his interviews and he's got great taste in music.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm in the same boat. I'm not moved any which way, be it joy, anger, melancholy, abstract thought, anything at all, by the Foo Fighters' songs. It's confounding. It conjures no emotion whatsoever in me and I hate that. Too middle of the road, content, despite loud drums, loud vox, whatever. This, by the way, is also the main reason I don't like Rush, although there are a couple of exceptions there.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I'm not moved any which way, be it joy, anger, melancholy, abstract thought, anything at all, by the Foo Fighters' songs. It's confounding. It conjures no emotion whatsoever in me and I hate that. Too middle of the road, content, despite loud drums, loud vox, whatever. This, by the way, is also the main reason I don't like Rush, although there are a couple of exceptions there.

You've echoed my feelings verbatim, albeit I can't say the same for Rush.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
When it comes to really good straight-ahead ROCK that has enough mass appeal to fill arenas in this day and age I have a hard time coming up with any competition for them. Good songwriting, a band that can actually play and a leader that understands and respects the artists that influenced him. Gotta give them props for that.

This! Not a huge fan, I have a couple of their albums. I would rather listen to Foo Fighters than Nickleback any day of the week!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:

This! Not a huge fan, I have a couple of their albums. I would rather listen to Foo Fighters than Nickleback any day of the week!

Oh yes, agreed without hesitation.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 pm

manny wrote:
I like the Foo Fighters because these guys write good songs, nothing fancy, very catchy, with memorable chorues. What more could you ask for.

This. I really enjoyed the last one, waisting light, so far it's actually my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

So I guess the Foo Fighters covering Rush wouldn't be your sort of thing. Smile

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 am

That was awesome. \'arry \'eadbanger Who is playing bass? It that Nate of the Foo Fighters? It doesn't look like him.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 6:26 am

corplhicks wrote:
Addy wrote:

Oops, should have searched for that, sorry.

My guess is with all the hype I was getting about them at the time, it was rather a letdown when I heard them. Fans around me were declaring "Dave Grohl's a musical genius!" and "all hail the mighty Foo!" that when I started listening to them, I thought, "that's it?"

I'll check out Probot. Dave's a cool guy; I like watching his interviews and he's got great taste in music.

No worries I pointed that out because the old thread might have some insight for ya Very Happy

Like I said I love the foos and I agree with alot of the posts about the songwriting, etc.... I love it when they do a cover, their covers of Have a Cigar, Baker Street, Band on the Run are killer!!! I like that Dave jams with so many other musicians, I still need to check out the Sound City Documentry and get the Soundtrack (It's Dave's Directorial debut afterall)

I also agree they appear to have fun. Just a great band I am a huge fan sometimes Im fanboy about them but not as of late just because my musical tastes lie elsewhere but the Foos are never far from my cd player or Ipod
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 6:27 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That was awesome. \'arry \'eadbanger Who is playing bass? It that Nate of the Foo Fighters? It doesn't look like him.

I think it was just Dave and Taylor Hawkins who inducted Rush into the R&R Hall of Fame so chances are its not Nate Mendel there but could be wrong....
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 4:10 pm

I like them. I think that anyone who claims that they are groundbreaking or musical genius need to listen to more music. I kind of like the softer side of their sound and I think that Dave articulates emotion well on these songs, when it all gets a bit more aggressive, something gets lost (It is possible that this is when I start comparing them to the intensity of Nirvana)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 1:16 am

S.D. wrote:
Very well stated. They are a really good rock band.

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 6:21 am

mc666 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Very well stated. They are a really good rock band.

I wouldnt call them groundbreaking at all , someone had stated that they are just a good ole Rock Band and I think thats part of the appeal because there aren't any out there today at least in my opinion. I dont think you can really compare them to Nirvana just because Dave was the drummer, its like comparing oranges and lemons totally different flavors. One thing i like about Dave is he collaborates with alot of different artists. Like someone said he reconizes and sees the value of those who he was influenced by.

Anyone ever see their Documentry Back and Forth? its a good view
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 8:38 am

manny wrote:

That's it 100%

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 4:11 pm

New Foo in 2014...

Quote :
Dave Grohl has confirmed the next Foo Fighters album will appear next year.

The follow-up to 2011′s Wasting Light has now been written, although there’s much more work to be done.

Grohl tells XFM: “We’ve been in our studio writing, and in the past few weeks we’ve written album.

“It’s still a little ways off – it’s not ready to happen right now. But I think next year is going to be a really big year for the Foo Fighters, without question.”

He hasn’t offered any details but hints: “We’re going to make this album in a way that no one’s ever done before. We’re pretty excited about it.”

Guitarist Chris Shifflett recently told FasterLouder: “Dave’s got a bunch of new songs, and the way we’re going to make the record, the approach for it, is going to be pretty f*cking fun, and different.

“I feel like Dave’s always looking for ways to keep things exciting. He’s got some good ideas for this next one.”
Foo-kin A!!

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 6:14 pm

I like Dave as a musician but The Foo's just don't do anything for me.. Couple great songs here and there but that's it :'(

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 7:08 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
New Foo in 2014...

Quote :
Dave Grohl has confirmed the next Foo Fighters album will appear next year.

The follow-up to 2011′s Wasting Light has now been written, although there’s much more work to be done.

Grohl tells XFM: “We’ve been in our studio writing, and in the past few weeks we’ve written album.

“It’s still a little ways off – it’s not ready to happen right now. But I think next year is going to be a really big year for the Foo Fighters, without question.”

He hasn’t offered any details but hints: “We’re going to make this album in a way that no one’s ever done before. We’re pretty excited about it.”

Guitarist Chris Shifflett recently told FasterLouder: “Dave’s got a bunch of new songs, and the way we’re going to make the record, the approach for it, is going to be pretty f*cking fun, and different.

“I feel like Dave’s always looking for ways to keep things exciting. He’s got some good ideas for this next one.”
Foo-kin A!!
I'm guessing its still going to sound like all their other albums. I wish they would just sound a tad bit heavier, but whatever as long as the songs are good I'll still listen to them.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Theyll never top their debut album but I had a feeling 2014 would be the year they crank it out. With the Sound City thing winding down (awesome documentry btw) Which means a tour which means ADDY IS GOING TO SEE THEM!!!!!!! (if they are within a reasonable distance Smile )
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 11:00 am

Addy wrote:
Theyll never top their debut album
So, IYO they'll never be better than a one-man, 16-track recorded demo? Shocked 

lol! 

IMO, I think TCATS and WL are the two best ones....but I love them all.

Foo Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foo Fighters   Foo Fighters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foo Fighters
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next