Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trucking On Hold

Go down 
+21
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Troublezone
manny
thejokeriv
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
exact33
SpectreFate
Eyesore
kmorg
James B.
bassman
Dark Horseman
jettafiend
jstate
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
DallasBlack
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 10:50 am

Well, I am one step closer to my trucking life. I had my last night of work tomorrow and today I have my first real chore to prepare. I have to take my cat to the vet to get all checked up, then I have to take him to his new home (my mother's-my dad almost kept him but figured it would be too much for him). The problem is, he HATES car rides. Yes, I know all cats do but he will meow almost non-stop and this will be a two hour drive (or more because it will be during rush hour). I'm going to try to make it as comfortable as possible but I will be covered in cat hair when it's all said and done (he sheds a lot when nervous). I will spend the weekend over there to let him adjust to his new home and will sadly have to bid him goodbye. The bright side is, I can visit him whenever I'm home from the road.

As far as a trucking company, I applied to Raider Express last weekend but have failed to hear from them. If I get no reply by Monday, I will probably go with FFE which is the same company my dad drove for. If that happens then at least I know someone with first hand experience who can prepare me for what I have to expect.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 12:04 pm

The Vet might be able to give you some meds for the cat to keep it sedated on the trip.

Good luck moving forward.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 5:20 pm

A major update since the last time I posted here. Actually I posted several days ago, but after hitting the preview button, I closed the browser and didn’t feel like re-typing the whole thing again. The trip to the vet turned out well. Despite him not seeing a vet since 2007, the only thing was his teeth needed cleaning (but the cost is too much so I left it up to my mom-she feels the same way so we got him some dental treats). My instinct to not take him to the vet unless he showed signs of something wrong proved correct (it also helps that he never did much exploring away from the house). I felt a tinge of regret when I found out there would be dogs in the house (my sister and her kids are living with my mom now and they have one of their dogs with them-turns out her husband was sleeping around being abusive with her-not beating but grabbing, shaking, and verbal abuse). Luckily, the dog (and my mom’s dog who is starting to be allowed in the house-though he has some marking issues) doesn’t really care about the cat’s presence. However, Shiloh gets hissy when the dogs get near, meaning he’s the one with the problem. After talking to my mom last weekend, Shiloh is starting to adjust. He comes out of his hiding spot (under her bed) in the evenings and even sits in the living room with everyone. I will be visiting this weekend so I’m sure he will give me an earful.

I went back home that Monday after dropping the cat off and began the process of packing up my things. I finally finished last weekend and the only thing left in my room is my TV/VCR/DVD player, computer, 30 t-shirts, undergarments, some pants/shorts, and some footwear. This week I started cleaning up the garage and getting all my tools and stuff in order to be packed up. As of Tuesday I finished with the bulk of all my packing. I have all I need for the next month while I start the process of becoming a truck driver. I talked to the recruiter for Raider Express last week and starting Monday I will go through the hiring process and start school the next week. It will be a four week course and I will have to pay the school off, however, it will only be about $3000 and my dad has offered to pay it. I could just find a company that will pay for the school but my dad thinks I’d have a better chance with this company so is willing to help me out. After the school, I will spend the next four weeks with a trainer. Learning to drive a truck will not be easy. I’m going to have to overcome my reluctance to enter into this industry and my anxiety of driving something that big and dangerous. During the drives to and from school, I plan on using an imaginary clutch and shifter to help me learn. The weekends will be mostly spent studying and sitting in a chair with the same imaginary clutch and shifter. I also found a website dedicated to preparing people for an OTR trucking career. One thing for sure, is that when I’m driving, I will take my time and not rush things. I will take turns slowly, I will accelerate slowly, and I will leave plenty of space to break slowly as well as keep my speed at a minimum (speed limit). I may piss off some of the four wheelers out there, but I would rather them pissed at me than cause a wreck or damage to anything.

This is something that has to be done. I have failed at business school, I failed in the automotive field, and the warehouse field is not enough to make a living in. I have to succeed as failure is not an option this time. It will take a hard work, willpower, and dedication but I’m sure I can do it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Quote :
I will take turns slowly, I will accelerate slowly, and I will leave plenty of space to break slowly as well as keep my speed at a minimum (speed limit). I may piss off some of the four wheelers out there,
You're already driving in St. Louis aren't you? Wink

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Best to you man, you can do this.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 11:11 am

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Perhaps those other things weren't "failures" but just fields you weren't suited for. I'll be honest - I kind of envy you getting to hit the open road and see the country. Listening to tunes as you go. A lot of great experiences, or at least interesting stories to tell later on, hopefully await. And hey, if you ever hit the southwest or LA and have some time let me know. That trucking money can be well spent at several music establishments.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 2:22 pm

I drive between 30-40k miles a year for my work; that's a hair of a fraction of what most statewide truckers log. And I love it. I love the open road, rolling down the windows and getting fresh air (I really miss smoking while driving), and most of all playing whatever damn music I want to. When I have to stay overnight I enjoy movies, reading, writing, fishing, playing guitar, you name it. And you said the magic words: take it slow. I drive between 55 and 65 on the highway, and sure it pisses the road runners off, but I don't get stressed or nervous, even when I'm towing. Granted I'm just driving a half-ton pickup, but truckers everywhere have told me the same thing. You'll enjoy your job if you don't let the pressure get to you. So you're thinking is spot on.

Trust me, you're going to love it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 4:00 pm

jstate wrote:
That trucking money can be well spent at several music establishments.

Don't forget the truck-stop hookers. They only take cash, but it's money well spent. crazy happy

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 7:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
jstate wrote:
That trucking money can be well spent at several music establishments.

Don't forget the truck-stop hookers. They only take cash, but it's money well spent. crazy happy

Aren't they usually gay men? Suspect
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 11:18 am

One time we were making a late night return home on Route 40 and stopped in a rest area. My girlfriend didn't like the looks of the place so she wanted me to walk her to the woman's bathroom and wait just outside. So I'm standing there not really paying attention when these two young ladies walk by. Then do the old "hey there". I don't pay it any mind since I figure they're just being young people fooling around. Only after in the car does my girlfriend tell me that in the bathroom she heard the two talking. And sure enough they were ladies of the night working the rest area circuit where all the truckers where parked overnight. I guess the big drama for the evening was one of them left her phone in the cab of john's truck. Apparently a big no-no in that world.

Honestly it never crossed my mind that that's what those ladies were. Made sense in retrospect. Also made me realize there are worlds out there I have no idea about. Can't wait to hear all the stories from the open road.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :
I will take turns slowly, I will accelerate slowly, and I will leave plenty of space to break slowly as well as keep my speed at a minimum (speed limit). I may piss off some of the four wheelers out there,

or Elkton MD???

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 1:42 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

or Elkton MD???

The truck company I'm going with doesn't do business in Maryland so it's not me. Also I won't be going to California, Florida, the Carolinas, the Virginias, Montana, the Dakodas, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, or Washington.

This shows the service area of Raider Express:

Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Raider_Hiring_Map%20copy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 5:37 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

or Elkton MD???

The truck company I'm going with doesn't do business in Maryland so it's not me. Also I won't be going to California, Florida, the Carolinas, the Virginias, Montana, the Dakodas, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, or Washington.

So you're not denying the Missouri thing?

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 8:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

or Elkton MD???

So you're not denying the Missouri thing?

TheKing is safe!!!

bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 9:18 pm

I drive all over in northeast Missouri and western Illinois........maybe I'll pass you on the road one of these days.........
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:04 am

I'm the guy in the Nissan Murano who's screaming and giving you the bird.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:18 am

jstate wrote:
One time we were making a late night return home on Route 40 and stopped in a rest area. My girlfriend didn't like the looks of the place so she wanted me to walk her to the woman's bathroom and wait just outside. So I'm standing there not really paying attention when these two young ladies walk by. Then do the old "hey there". I don't pay it any mind since I figure they're just being young people fooling around. Only after in the car does my girlfriend tell me that in the bathroom she heard the two talking. And sure enough they were ladies of the night working the rest area circuit where all the truckers where parked overnight. I guess the big drama for the evening was one of them left her phone in the cab of john's truck. Apparently a big no-no in that world. Honestly it never crossed my mind that that's what those ladies were. Made sense in retrospect. Also made me realize there are worlds out there I have no idea about. Can't wait to hear all the stories from the open road.
Down where I work, it's a heavy trucking route. When I was just a fresh-faced kid out of college and working my first job, we were going out to lunch. We're sitting at a light and these 2 ladies start waving and talking to me. My boss starts pulling away and I'm all "Dude, hold up, those girls are talking to me!!". He starts laughing and says "Dude, they're hookers. They'll talk to anyone".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:19 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
jstate wrote:
One time we were making a late night return home on Route 40 and stopped in a rest area. My girlfriend didn't like the looks of the place so she wanted me to walk her to the woman's bathroom and wait just outside. So I'm standing there not really paying attention when these two young ladies walk by. Then do the old "hey there". I don't pay it any mind since I figure they're just being young people fooling around. Only after in the car does my girlfriend tell me that in the bathroom she heard the two talking. And sure enough they were ladies of the night working the rest area circuit where all the truckers where parked overnight. I guess the big drama for the evening was one of them left her phone in the cab of john's truck. Apparently a big no-no in that world. Honestly it never crossed my mind that that's what those ladies were. Made sense in retrospect. Also made me realize there are worlds out there I have no idea about. Can't wait to hear all the stories from the open road.
Down where I work, it's a heavy trucking route. When I was just a fresh-faced kid out of college and working my first job, we were going out to lunch. We're sitting at a light and these 2 ladies start waving and talking to me. My boss starts pulling away and I'm all "Dude, hold up, those girls are talking to me!!". He starts laughing and says "Dude, they're hookers. They'll talk to anyone".
LMAO!! That is hilarious! Cool
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 12:17 pm

I see my old boss from time to time and we still get laugh about that story. Ahhh, to be young and naive again. Razz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 3:18 pm

[quote="MetalGuy71"]I see my old boss

"HEY THERE BIG BOY!!" greedy
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:47 pm

My dad found out about my lack of money and half my credit card debt (I'm trying to hold off on telling him about the rest). He is severely pissed off at me and rightfully so. He will still help me for a short period of time but once my trucking career takes off, I will need to figure out how to fix the rest myself (which was my plan from start). I've just been told that I MUST sell off my CD collection so be prepared for a massive unloading soon. Looks like downloads for me.

CD collection 1995-2013 R.I.P.

Also must sell my tools.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 12:12 am

DallasBlack wrote:
My dad found out about my lack of money and half my credit card debt (I'm trying to hold off on telling him about the rest). He is severely pissed off at me and rightfully so. He will still help me for a short period of time but once my trucking career takes off, I will need to figure out how to fix the rest myself (which was my plan from start). I've just been told that I MUST sell off my CD collection so be prepared for a massive unloading soon. Looks like downloads for me.

CD collection 1995-2013 R.I.P.

Also must sell my tools.

Maaaaaybe I'm playing devil's advocate here but assuming you're a legal adult why should your Dad be so mad at you? These are consequences of your own nature and his involvement should be minimal, even if you're living with him. I can understand if there's some frustration for you staying for so long, but credit card debt is a common thing--be thankful you're not dealing with the hell of student loans like my wife and I. Point being your Dad being pissed should bear only so much relevance in your present choices. I would hope that selling your CD collection is more your decision.

Then again, I've got daddy issues and may be too opinionated here, and I apologize in advance if this is the case.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 6:33 am

I need my dad's financial assistance until my trucking career takes off. My dad will only provide that if I follow his rules. He's been subsidizing my living for many years while I go around buying stuff. Unless I can get some large amount of money to take out my debt or keep me afloat during my transition into my career, my options are limited.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:45 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I need my dad's financial assistance until my trucking career takes off. My dad will only provide that if I follow his rules. He's been subsidizing my living for many years while I go around buying stuff. Unless I can get some large amount of money to take out my debt or keep me afloat during my transition into my career, my options are limited.

Okay, it's more complicated than I thought. Sorry I jumped the gun there. But glad to see you're making an effort, keep pushing yourself! Smile
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:06 pm

I had to sell of my entire music collection at one point and yeah it hurt but it needed to be done. Sad

In the last few years I've been in a much better financial place and have been able to buy it all again (which I have made a point of doing) Very Happy

I'm sure that you will be able to do the same, but in the meantime, rip the lot to your computer and get it done, it's gonna hurt more if you try to drag out the inevitable.

Don't get too down about past failures. Some of my biggest failures have directly lead to my biggest triumphs. So long as you get up every day a give it your best, no-one can ever ask for more.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trucking On Hold
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next