Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trucking On Hold

Go down 
+21
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Troublezone
manny
thejokeriv
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
exact33
SpectreFate
Eyesore
kmorg
James B.
bassman
Dark Horseman
jettafiend
jstate
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
DallasBlack
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 3:48 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Warehouse work is hard. Do you get paid by the piece? If so, you can make a lot of money that way.

You'll lose a lot of weight and build muscle, too. =)

Yeah, it is. Best shape I was ever in was when I worked at the chicken packaging plant.

Yeah I love it . Been doing it for almost 20 years now.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 3:54 am

Lord all mighty am I sore. I'm walking like a man in his 70s and it hurts my feet just to walk from my room to the kitchen. Also my left forearm (right after the wrist) is in pretty bad shape. Hurts to pick up the smallest objects with my left hand (even just flipping switches in my truck).

However, despite that I didn't slow down. I grit my teeth through the pain and continued to work to the best of my ability. I think I'm really impressing the supervisors with my hard work. I even got praised by one of them for not standing around and keeping myself busy. Of course I don't work hard for other people, I just have a good work ethic and want to do my job to the best of my ability.

Am I bragging? Hell yeah! I'm not proud of most things in my life but I am very proud of the effort I put into a job. Of couse there is one small downside to that. When I'm critisized for my work (not constructive criticism or criticism when it's warranted) I get very defensive (apart form the argument I had at my assembly job I got into some trouble by calling out someone on their treatment of my hard work). Nothing I hate more than working by butt off and being told I'm not working hard enough. Luckily it doesn't seem like I will have a problem in this place. They seem to acknowledge hard work and dedication. Which is good because I really want to leave a job on MY terms, not someone elses. That has happened too many damn times in the past few years. So I don't want any misshaps at this place.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Keep at it, you just need to get conditioned again.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 4:20 pm

It's amazing how quickly we lose our edge if we're off work for a little while........keep hangin' in there, DB.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Lord all mighty am I sore. I'm walking like a man in his 70s and it hurts my feet just to walk from my room to the kitchen. Also my left forearm (right after the wrist) is in pretty bad shape. Hurts to pick up the smallest objects with my left hand (even just flipping switches in my truck).

However, despite that I didn't slow down. I grit my teeth through the pain and continued to work to the best of my ability. I think I'm really impressing the supervisors with my hard work. I even got praised by one of them for not standing around and keeping myself busy. Of course I don't work hard for other people, I just have a good work ethic and want to do my job to the best of my ability.

Am I bragging? Hell yeah! I'm not proud of most things in my life but I am very proud of the effort I put into a job. Of couse there is one small downside to that. When I'm critisized for my work (not constructive criticism or criticism when it's warranted) I get very defensive (apart form the argument I had at my assembly job I got into some trouble by calling out someone on their treatment of my hard work). Nothing I hate more than working by butt off and being told I'm not working hard enough. Luckily it doesn't seem like I will have a problem in this place. They seem to acknowledge hard work and dedication. Which is good because I really want to leave a job on MY terms, not someone elses. That has happened too many damn times in the past few years. So I don't want any misshaps at this place.
i think it's cool that you are doing you're best. however, you shouldn't make any assumptions this early on. just continue to try as hard as you can & see how things shake out. assuming that they are impressed with your performance, or not like the other jobs... this early on it could lead to complacency.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 9:29 pm

mc666 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

i think it's cool that you are doing you're best. however, you shouldn't make any assumptions this early on. just continue to try as hard as you can & see how things shake out. assuming that they are impressed with your performance, or not like the other jobs... this early on it could lead to complacency.

Trust me, I am in no way going to become complacent. I've gone through 5 jobs in less than 2 years and I did, for the most part, a good job in all of them (even in the automtive jobs where I made mistakes, I tried my best and got better as I went along). Everytime I thought I was getting somewhere something came up causing me to loose my job. I'm not sure if I will ever be able to feel secure in a job after all that.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Good luck man.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 10:48 am

how is it going DB?

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Pretty good, my body is still aching but not as much as before. My new work boots are wreaking havoc on my feet so I may have to get another pair and just use the others for recreational use. Apart from that I keep busy and the work day goes by pretty fast. I get along with everybody and avoid any conversations that could cause tension. My fist full week and I've only gotten about 35 hours but I am told it is rare that this happens. Plus with how tired and sore I am at the end of the day, I don't mind those early days.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Well, my time is finally up. Because the job wasn't giving me any overtime let alone a full 40 hours a week I was deciding to get a part-time job and start making my way towards my own apartment. I told my dad and he was less than thrilled. He feels that working two jobs is not a stable way toward a long-term career. Even if the goal was for the full-time job, the warehouse field is not very stable in his eyes. Only truck driving he feels will give me the opportunity for a life. He's worried about what will happen when he's gone and I no longer have a lifeline. Last night at around 4 am, he came out of his room and gave me a lecture about all this and the CDs/DVDs/t-shirts I have and he feels that a second job will just give me more money to waste. It's obvious my plan of two jobs will not pan out because it requires my dad to allow me to stay home a little longer and he's made it clear that if I don't move towards something he will throw me out.

It took some thought, but I have decided to work until the end of April, then go into truck driving. The inevitable has happened and it's time for me to make my own way into the world. I'll keep everyone updated and once my trucking career kicks off, if the mods don't mind, I want to start a thread that will keep everyone updated on my life as a road warrior.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 4:07 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Well, my time is finally up. Because the job wasn't giving me any overtime let alone a full 40 hours a week I was deciding to get a part-time job and start making my way towards my own apartment. I told my dad and he was less than thrilled. He feels that working two jobs is not a stable way toward a long-term career. Even if the goal was for the full-time job, the warehouse field is not very stable in his eyes. Only truck driving he feels will give me the opportunity for a life. He's worried about what will happen when he's gone and I no longer have a lifeline. Last night at around 4 am, he came out of his room and gave me a lecture about all this and the CDs/DVDs/t-shirts I have and he feels that a second job will just give me more money to waste. It's obvious my plan of two jobs will not pan out because it requires my dad to allow me to stay home a little longer and he's made it clear that if I don't move towards something he will throw me out.

It took some thought, but I have decided to work until the end of April, then go into truck driving. The inevitable has happened and it's time for me to make my own way into the world. I'll keep everyone updated and once my trucking career kicks off, if the mods don't mind, I want to start a thread that will keep everyone updated on my life as a road warrior.

IMO, driving is your best bet. 2 jobs is super-hard to juggle. If you have the trucking opportunity I say jump for it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 9:51 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

IMO, driving is your best bet. 2 jobs is super-hard to juggle. If you have the trucking opportunity I say jump for it.

I agree. If truck driving is what you are good at, then do it to the best of your ability.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Good luck man, you need some breaks.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Good luck man, you need some breaks.

Nice pun !

Oh and good luck DB !
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 10:20 am

It's not gonna be as bad as you might think, DB.

I think you'll really dig it once ya get out on the road. Since it seems that you have no social life, OTR may suit you well ? Once ya get that OTR experience, local companies are more willing to hire than straight out of a driving school. Who know, maybe you'll enjoy OTR ?

Some advice from somebody who drives trucks, me (among other toys) Get all the endorsements while in school. Doubles/Triples, tanker, hazmat, and passenger. You will find better paying jobs having them ALL. The passenger is great because you can then drive a bus. The hazmat requires a bunch of TSA paperwork (fingerprints, back ground ect. and a reasonable fee)

I hope the best for you DB.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 2:38 pm

James B. wrote:
It's not gonna be as bad as you might think, DB.

I think you'll really dig it once ya get out on the road. Since it seems that you have no social life, OTR may suit you well ? Once ya get that OTR experience, local companies are more willing to hire than straight out of a driving school. * Who know, maybe you'll enjoy OTR ?

Some advice from somebody who drives trucks, me (among other toys) Get all the endorsements while in school. Doubles/Triples, tanker, hazmat, and passenger. You will find better paying jobs having them ALL. The passenger is great because you can then drive a bus. The hazmat requires a bunch of TSA paperwork (fingerprints, back ground ect. and a reasonable fee)

I hope the best for you DB.

Thanks (that includes everyone)!

*Not sure of the source validity, but I read somewhere that you can't really get a local job without OTR experience anyways. Apparently there is some insurance laws requiring at least 6 months experience to drive for a company:

http://www.truckingtruth.com/Articles/Get-Your-CDL-Training-Articles/trucking_aasmith4.htm
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:35 pm

As the time draws closer, I'm warming up more to the idea of being an OTR truck driver. I don't make near enough money to live by myself or pay off my debts. Yes, my lonely life will not be aleviated for at least a year (more depending on how long it takes me to get a local truck driving job) but I'll still only be 34-35 when my life finally gets on track. Then I'd have more freedom for growth that being a warehouse worker will ever provide. Another thing is with my bad back and on again, off again wrist pain, that kind of physical labor will assure none of that gets better.

The only thing I'm nervous about is how I'd be able to adapt to barely being able to drive a standard transmission to driving a 10+ speed transmission and handle such a large (potentially dangerous) vehicle. However, I'm sure with time it will become second nature. One other thing to be anxious about is what kind of trainer I'll be assigned to. I've heard so many horror stories about bad trainers with bad attitudes. I don't handle assholes and bullies very well and there is always a chance I could get a trainer like that. If I'm lucky I'll get a good trainer, but luck is not something I seem to have much of. I'm sure everything will work out for the best, but these things still hang around the back of my mind.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Have you considered being a telemarketer? lol!
Seriously though, are you going through a school? You could check out their rep before signing up.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Have you considered being a telemarketer? lol!
Seriously though, are you going through a school? You could check out their rep before signing up.

Going through a company. Apparently, many insurance companies of local truck driving companies require 6 months to a year experience before being hired. So often, paying for your own school can get you with a CDL but no job. Most often you have no choice but to go with the large OTR companies and you still have school debt to pay off. So it's better to become an employee of the OTR company and let them pay for your school in return for a year of driving.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:48 am

Reading your posts, DB, and knowing a lot of people in your situation, you're on the right track. You have the ability to ponder your options objectively and I sensing a lot of motivation as well. I say you have potential, and myself coming from a family of truckers, it's a strong opportunity that may fit you well, especially with no immediate family ie wife/kids. And think of all the driving time with all that music! Godspeed to you, brother.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 3:09 am

corplhicks wrote:
Reading your posts, DB, and knowing a lot of people in your situation, you're on the right track. You have the ability to ponder your options objectively and I sensing a lot of motivation as well. I say you have potential, and myself coming from a family of truckers, it's a strong opportunity that may fit you well, especially with no immediate family ie wife/kids. And think of all the driving time with all that music! Godspeed to you, brother.

Thank you! And I don't think I ever officially welcomed you to the site despite seeing some of your posts (as I tend to lose track of the new members that come around here, maybe because many of them seem to only last for a few posts-usually to troll or plug something they're a part of) so:

Welcome to the madhouse!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 am

I went the route of independent school for both CDL and later heavy equipment operation. Do your research man. The independent schools are subsidized (for the most part) by OTR companies and they come to the school and pimp their company to the students. There were 4 0r 5 national carriers who came to where I attended in No. Calif. offereing gainful employment right out of school. If you go through the carrier themselve, you have major debt to them and they can pretty much slave you out for the time period and then not even give you a job at it's conclusion, often leaving you with debt to them and no gainful employment.

There are risks both ways and my advice is to go to truck stops and ask around about the company that wants to train you. Find trucks from that company parked there and ask the drivers what their experience was ? worth a shot. An educated guess makes apprehension
after the fact much easier to deal with.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 am

yeah. Also, a good one if they offer a contract at the end will have some kind of option for local/regional once you pass X amount of mileage/months OTR, and when you get there and have some freedom to choose that is going to take some of the stress off.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 pm

James B. wrote:
I went the route of independent school for both CDL and later heavy equipment operation. Do your research man. The independent schools are subsidized (for the most part) by OTR companies and they come to the school and pimp their company to the students. There were 4 0r 5 national carriers who came to where I attended in No. Calif. offereing gainful employment right out of school. If you go through the carrier themselve, you have major debt to them and they can pretty much slave you out for the time period and then not even give you a job at it's conclusion, often leaving you with debt to them and no gainful employment.

There are risks both ways and my advice is to go to truck stops and ask around about the company that wants to train you. Find trucks from that company parked there and ask the drivers what their experience was ? worth a shot. An educated guess makes apprehension
after the fact much easier to deal with.

I have done research and yes, a lot of those companies will screw you over (CR England is one I've heard bad things about). I also did research of paying for your own school, which is how I found out most companies won't hire you without 6 months to a year of experience. I have read nothing that indicates that the company I'm going through requires anything beyond the year of employment (unless you opt to be a owner/operator). If I find something out otherwise, then there is always FFE which was the company my dad went through. The thing is, I have no other way of paying for a school. I've exhausted my GI Bill benefits, I still have automotive school to pay off, I don't qualify for any grants, and unless I rob a bank or win some $100,000+ contest I don't have any option but to go through an OTR company who will waive the school fee for a year of driving.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 2:10 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Thank you! And I don't think I ever officially welcomed you to the site despite seeing some of your posts (as I tend to lose track of the new members that come around here, maybe because many of them seem to only last for a few posts-usually to troll or plug something they're a part of) so:

Welcome to the madhouse!

Thank you for the welcome, it's good to find a down-to-earth group that has a love for the same music I do, which is hard to find these days. Trucking On Hold - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trucking On Hold
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next