Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trucking On Hold

Go down 
+21
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Troublezone
manny
thejokeriv
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
exact33
SpectreFate
Eyesore
kmorg
James B.
bassman
Dark Horseman
jettafiend
jstate
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
DallasBlack
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:08 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I need my dad's financial assistance until my trucking career takes off. My dad will only provide that if I follow his rules. He's been subsidizing my living for many years while I go around buying stuff. Unless I can get some large amount of money to take out my debt or keep me afloat during my transition into my career, my options are limited.

ill help you with your cds Smile

seriously though - sometimes things that painful end up doing you the most good. People dont like change and sometimes forced change can be good long term.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:09 pm

The CDs won't be as painful as the t-shirts. At least I'll still have the music.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 11:10 pm

what size are you DB ? I might be interested in some shirt action.

I used to have about 100 Harley Shirts from shops all around the world and when it was time to clear the closest out.....I donated them all to the local homeless mission. It was quick and it did good for people less fortunate. I understand your financila sitution, but the old addage goes along the lines of reaping what we sow.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:13 pm

James B. wrote:
what size are you DB ? I might be interested in some shirt action.

I used to have about 100 Harley Shirts from shops all around the world and when it was time to clear the closest out.....I donated them all to the local homeless mission. It was quick and it did good for people less fortunate. I understand your financila sitution, but the old addage goes along the lines of reaping what we sow.

No doubt which is why I will comply with my dad... to a point. I'm keeping less than 10% of my CD collection, one box of shirts, and two boxes of DVDs (also about 10% of my collection). He refers to me as a Hoarder, a show which he watches, and they get to keep some of their stuff.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 11:16 pm

My dad didn't realize how many shirts I actually had and said, I quote: go ahead and keep the damn things.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 12:38 pm

He let you keep them all? Sweet!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:32 am

I assume the first CD's you would save from your collection would be Savatage.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:43 am

Troublezone wrote:
I assume the first CD's you would save from your collection would be Savatage.

Savatage and most of their affiliates, Maiden and Bruce, Galactic Cowboys, Pretty Maids, Helloween, Dio, and most of my OOP, limited editions, and older Christian CDs. Plus all the CDs that can't be sold because of poor condition (from when I used to store them in binders, which includes most of the bands listed).
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Well, truck driving school moves along. Thursday I got to practice some turning maneuvers and Friday I got to practice some shifting (mainly floating-no clutch involved) and some more turns. Still nervous about driving a fully loaded tractor and trailer but each time behind the wheel I get less nervous. My main problems apart from that is starting/stopping and keeping my RPMs steady (the accelerator/throttle is very sensitive and my nervousness makes it hard to get a light, steady touch). For the next two weeks I will be driving on a daily basis so I will have plenty of time to settle down and get a handle on things. The only other problem I'm having is trip planning. All trip planning involves map reading, no GPS or internet help, all done the old fashioned way.

BTW, I will start a CD listing in the metal market in the next few days. There will be no prices as the list is still being made and pricing would take a while, but I need to start selling stuff soon so the pricing will take place in PMs.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Please get the stopping thing down soos. Trucking On Hold - Page 5 591800
Kidding man, good luck.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Please get the stopping thing down soos. Trucking On Hold - Page 5 591800
Kidding man, good luck.

Thanks! Well I can stop, I just need to learn to do it more smoothly. The starting problem is letting up on the clutch easy enough and catching the throttle before the truck stalls. Just going to take time and practice.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 pm

You'll do fine DB

Get shifting down manually before trying to float gears. Each truck is gonna be different and for your driving test, they require you to use the clutch. Always let out the clutch slowly and allow the engines normal rpms to begin moving the vehicle. Then apply some throttle. The ammount is gonna be dictated by the load you are pulling. Again, easy on the throttle cause it isn't good to over rev an engine. Once you get the shifting down through all the gears using the clutch smoothly, you'll hear the proper rpms in your head and that will make it easier for you to float the gears by what you are hearing. Remember that a semi is different than a manual transmission found in a car or pick up. In a semi, you can't put it into any gear at any speed. Each gear of a semi can only be accessed based on engine rpm and speed you are traveling. You'll have to figure out that magic spot for each truck. Most are about 1500 rpm's for each gear and you'll shift smoothly. Others are closer to 17 or 1800. You never wannna try to shift or drive with the rpms over 2000.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:59 pm

The floating is on the instructor's insistence. I'm sure he'll make sure we can do it the way required by the DMV, as his job is to make sure we can pass the test. They have never had a student not get their CDL yet, so I'm confident I will make it through. The school is only 4 weeks, but if they don't think I'm ready, they will extend it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Turns out, the DPS office this school uses doesn't care how you get in gear as long as your in the right gear at the right time. That is why floating is what they teach here. They only gave us a short lesson on clutching for emergencies (like you can't get in or out of gear or forget what gear your in).
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Turns out, the DPS office this school uses doesn't care how you get in gear as long as your in the right gear at the right time. That is why floating is what they teach here. They only gave us a short lesson on clutching for emergencies (like you can't get in or out of gear or forget what gear your in).

Cool, each state has different policies I suppose. Still, I'd learn to go through all the gears using the clutch. That includes downshifting. Ya might have to wait till your on the road working ? Still try to learn it. It is a benefit. Are they teaching you to shift without clutch while downshifting ? Shifting up and down when ya have engine breaks on ? How to shift various transmissions, 10 speed, 13 speed, 15/18 speed (over/under) ? Just remember, most schools teach ya how to get a CDl, you don't learn how to drive till you are out on the raod.

You'll do good, stay focused and don't get nervous.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:39 am

James B. wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Cool, each state has different policies I suppose. Still, I'd learn to go through all the gears using the clutch. That includes downshifting. Ya might have to wait till your on the road working ? Still try to learn it. It is a benefit. Are they teaching you to shift without clutch while downshifting ? Shifting up and down when ya have engine breaks on ? How to shift various transmissions, 10 speed, 13 speed, 15/18 speed (over/under) ? Just remember, most schools teach ya how to get a CDl, you don't learn how to drive till you are out on the raod.

You'll do good, stay focused and don't get nervous.

The company only uses 10 speeds and automatics. Since most states don't let you use engine brakes anymore, they only mention them for the written tests. Upshift and downshifts are both taught as part of floating. Get out of gear then get RPMs up to 400 more than when you got out. Also stepping down in the low gears. Your right about the schools. Our instructor likes to tell us we learn this much l---l in school, this much l---------------l with our trainer, and this much l----------------------------------------------l on our own.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Things are going fine. I've overcome my nervousness, mostly due in part to the fact I've become pretty dern good on my shifting (glad there is no clutching involved as I'd probably still be behind on that) and with my turns. I'm also starting to understand angle backing better and I will get to work some more on parallel parking before my test on Wednesday. I'm sure as long as I can keep calm on the test, I should be with my trainer next week. For the first time, I'm feeling good about the first step in my OTR trucking career. I'm also contemplating on going for two years instead on one. That way I can get myself quite a savings set up. This company has one of the highest retention rates in the industry (80%) and some of the most amount of miles possible. They expect a minimum of about 2,500 miles a week (or 10,000 a month). Some of their best drivers make between $75,000-100,000 a year. My dad was lucky to make $40,000 a year with FFE (a large company), and he worked his butt off. I have the potential to make a raise of $0.09/mile just in my first year (as long as I don't hit anything and deliver on time).
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 7:52 pm

awesome! sounds promising!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Well, I got too ahead of myself on my backing up before the parallel parking. I messed up and wasn't able to recover (I rushed and ended up getting flustered). After the parking fiasco, I realized I wasn't going to pass and that made me even more flustered and made several mistakes on the trip back (though I didn't cause any accidents, just obstructed traffic for several seconds). I get to do it again Monday. This time I will take things slow and careful. I may get points taken off for going too slow, but as long as I keep a cool head, don't get hung up on mistakes, and take my time I should still pass. I know I can do it, I just got over confident and panicked when things went south. I've been told by the instructors that many people failed the first time and went on to become great drivers, even doing much better the second time (you know what to expect and how to correct previous mistakes). At least I know I can't do worse than last time Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 12:48 am

Hoping the best for you man.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39563

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 8:15 am

Yeah, Good luck !
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 8:59 am

Think about how many people can't even pass a simple car driving test first time out.  I can't even imagine what it is like with a truck.  A lot more to the trucking test than I'd ever imagined (parallel parking- wow).  I'm surprised anybody can pass it.  Plus you haven't been at it for very long at all.  I'd probably be lucky to get the truck started in that amount of time.

Good luck on the re-take.  Sounds like you got the right mindset going in.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 9:52 pm

I killed a bird on my first driving test...

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 10:33 pm

exact33 wrote:

What a coincidence! A red-tailed Hawk almost hit my pick-up today. lol!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:

What a coincidence! A red-tailed Hawk almost hit my pick-up today. lol!

the bird flew right into the grill of the car i was taking the test in. Spooked me to no end but i still passed.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trucking On Hold
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next