Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trucking On Hold

Go down 
+21
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Troublezone
manny
thejokeriv
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
exact33
SpectreFate
Eyesore
kmorg
James B.
bassman
Dark Horseman
jettafiend
jstate
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
DallasBlack
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Anyone who has been around here the past few years knows I've had a string of bad luck with jobs. I have been talking of the probability of having to go into trucking if I can't find a job but it looks like my job search has finally payed off (considering I have run out of state unemployment it has come at the right time). I really wanted a job that kept me on a normal work schedule (M-F, morning til evening) but it has not worked out so I will have to settle for a night job. I will be working from around 5pm to 2am (or longer if there is overtime) in a non-climate controled warehouse (luckily we are experiencing a rather warm winter (lows in the upper 40s-lower 50s with an occasinal dip into the upper 30s) and I can always bundle up.

Luckily, I have several days to adjust to a night schedule so when I start working I will be prepared. My dad has a vehicle with hand controls so he no longer needs me to chauffeur him around so it's not so vital anymore for me to have the day availiable to me (though I will have several daylight hours before I have to show up for work) and I can still do the bulk of the grocery shopping (say what you will about Wal-Mart, but how many 24 hour grocery stores are there) when I get off of work. I shall also have the weekends as well.

I may still become a trucker eventually (certainly more money to be made in it) but this will give me a chance to see if I can make a life in warehouses and save up some money in the meantime. If not, I'll either go into trucking sometime this summer or wait a year and go in next spring. Either way, things are starting to look up for me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Good to hear DB. I've worked that exact same shift in my life when I worked in a Holly Farms chicken packaging plant. It has it's advantages, like going to the bank or post office or DMV when everyone else is stuck at work. And grocery shopping at around 1 in the afternoon is a breeze. It does take a bit to get used to sleeping when it's light outside but you adjust.

Good luck!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Cool, DB. I did a fair share of overnights when I worked for Kmart years ago and like Toho sez, having your afternoons free while everyone else is at work has its advantages.

My wife works as an in-home health aide and she's been doing overnight shifts (11 PM to 7 AM) for almost a year now. During the week she gets home shortly after 7AM, by which time I've already gotten the kids out of bed & dressed for school cuz I leave for work at 7:30 AM. She puts the kids on the school bus @ 8 AM and then crashes out till it's time to go get them around 3 PM. Then we tag team on whatever housecleaning, dish washing, laundry, etc. needs to be done in the early evenings when I get home from work. It was a little odd for everybody at first but now we're used to this "new normal."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 pm

I know people who swear by working the overnight shifts. They wouldn't have it any other way. Do you still get weekends off? That would be the tricky part for me - adjusting for the days off. Best of luck to you.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:57 pm

jstate wrote:
I know people who swear by working the overnight shifts. They wouldn't have it any other way. Do you still get weekends off? That would be the tricky part for me - adjusting for the days off. Best of luck to you.

I worked overnight (fully overnight, 10-6) for almost five years. I loved it up until the last year then got fed up with it. During the last year I went to automotive school and found I loved being up during the day. I still worked overnight on weekends and adjusting was a royal pain. I plan on keeping the same schedule on the weekends so I don't have to do any adjusting. If I stay, eventually I can move to days (though I'd lose $.50 an hour) but that just depends on whether I can get enough in raises to compensate. As I said, trucking may still be in my future. My dad will lose his workman's comp in a year and have to exist on disabiltiy. If I'm not able to move out on my own by then, then I will leave the warehouse business and start the road to trucking (pun intented Very Happy ).
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:58 pm

jstate wrote:

I am one of those people. I love the late mid afternoon to late at night shifts, mostly. the big downside is that I don't have much time with my kids after they get home from school and before I go to work.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 7:02 pm

jettafiend wrote:
jstate wrote:

I am one of those people. I love the late mid afternoon to late at night shifts, mostly. the big downside is that I don't have much time with my kids after they get home from school and before I go to work.

That's the thing I don't like about it. There is no way to have much of a social life or seek a life parnter for an eventual family of my own. I'm the only single adult in the whole family over the age of 25 and you get to feel like an outcast sometimes (though nobody treats me like one).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
jstate wrote:

That's the thing I don't like about it. There is no way to have much of a social life or seek a life parnter for an eventual family of my own. I'm the only single adult in the whole family over the age of 25 and you get to feel like an outcast sometimes (though nobody treats me like one).

I got used to that aspect too.

Now when my Mom asks how "The Kids" are doing, we both know she's referring to my cats.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 pm

I did that shift and let me say, try to stay on those hours during the weekend. Killed me to try to switch back and forth.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm anxious for the job to start. Mainly because I can barely find enough TV to watch between 9pm and 5am. I'm also wondering if I'd be able to listen to music on the job. If not I will find a way to cope, but it sure makes the workday go by smoother when I can.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Good luck, DB.......glad things are turning around for you.

BTW, I'm still crankin' those comps you sent me. headbanger
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 pm

bassman wrote:
Good luck, DB.......glad things are turning around for you.

BTW, I'm still crankin' those comps you sent me. headbanger

cool I still need to put together a Sentenced comp for you.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 am

good news DB

I still say you'll enjoy truck driving more than you think.

Once ya get some OTR expereince, a local job is easier to nail down.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 am

Best of luck, DB.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm

James B. wrote:
good news DB

Perfect for serial killing, too.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Eyesore wrote:
James B. wrote:
good news DB

Razz
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:

ask S.D about "cereal killing"

smoke a fattie and dust off a bowl of cap'n crunch Laughing very hard

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 1:43 am

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
jstate wrote:

I got used to that aspect too.

Now when my Mom asks how "The Kids" are doing, we both know she's referring to my cats.

Same question I ask my brother and his wife about their dogs. lol!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
jstate wrote:

I would not sweat that aspect just yet, if I had to do it all over I would have taken care of business and got stable before I settled. But that's just me learning the hard way.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 6:35 pm

good luck DB! I hope this works out!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Today, in less than one hour, I will go through my new job orientation. This is when I will find out if I will be allowed to have music to get me through the day or if I'll have to use the radio in my brain.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 pm

So, how was it?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

I actually start work in 2 1/2 hours so I'm not sure yet. Still not sure if I can listen to music or not. The rules in the handbook say no unauthorized use of cell phone, headphones, etc. However, when the night supervisor met us he only mentioned cell phones. I'm going to wait for little bit (maybe til the first break) then try it out. If I get a warning I'll stop. They claim to be a well laid back work environment so it may work out. Either way, the pay is adequate (but will increase) and the benefits are good so all in all, this won't be too bad. The hard part will be getting back into a work schedule. After 3+ months of unemployment, I have become real lazy and it's going to be hard to break that habit.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Maybe you should wait longer than first break. Haha.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Maybe you should wait longer than first break. Haha.

I should, but I will need something to get my mind off of how I'm usually relaxing at home in a chair at that time. The first day after unemployment is always the hardest. Besides, if it is frowned upon, it is only a minor offence and you get a warning first before it counts (if I do it a second time, then it will be held against me).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trucking On Hold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trucking On Hold   Trucking On Hold Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trucking On Hold
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next