Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?

Go down 
+38
mlotek
Lovecraft
Runicen
chewie
ze_mau
Laplander
corplhicks
Lurideath
Short-Fuse
krokus
Hadley
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
jettafiend
Grimmo
Witchfinder
Wargod
DallasBlack
Boris2008
Sword Of The Heretic
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
Dark Horseman
Wurthless
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
deathisgain
mc666
Stender
TheGreatDuck
exact33
SpectreFate
tohostudios
James B.
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
42 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Empty
PostSubject: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 7:53 pm

I remember 10 years ago - the first time I heard Judas Priest - Living After Midnight and the station called it "classic rock", I got kinda pissed. Now, someone sent me a pm with Limp Bizkit's cover of Faith. Apparently, 15 years ago I told someone I thought that they made an original cover of a song I secretly dug way back were. Although, I have to still tell everyone that that period of music sucked [and, compared to MY generation, it really does], there is already some nostalgia starting to creep in. Early Marilyn Manson, early "the band that cannot be named", early Tool [my kid played them constantly], the songs I have heard from the first Kid Rock album, etc. I dunno. I have recently started to like some Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains etc, just because it is sounding somewhat fresh. I hated that crap when it came out because it was unescapable and being duplicated all over the place. Maybe this is more of a confession than a post. Feel free to respond.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 7:59 pm

I know what you mean. I hate it a little less nowadays.

I never did deny nu-metal being metal. It's just a different take on it. I already disliked many metal subgenres, so what? I personally just prefer a powerful lead vocalist that can hit a note to rapping or that grungy yelling-type singing.

A beat is nice. But again, I am more a fan of extravagant lead guitar playing rather than hiphop beats and/or downtuned angst.

For those who liked nu-metal, or still do, I say good for you.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:01 pm

The program "set-in-stone" at this point in time is that every popular form of music gets over-saturated and duplicated. Then it gets kicked to the curb and later becomes nostalgic, thus fodder for "classic rock" stations. Same goes for counrtry or rap music too.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm

A lot of the stuff you mention isn't nu-metal to me. \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\" is but that's about it. The rest are either the dreaded rap-metal hybrid (which I admit to somewhat liking) or grunge.

Nu-metal to me is \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\", System Of A Down, Slipknot, etc; those bands who play traditional metal but substitute "WOOOOOOAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!" for actual singing.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 pm

I'm glad to see my Nu-Metal band names filter is still in effect. Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:17 pm

The "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain" one always cracks me up!

After actually suffering through seeing them in concert in between God Lives Underwater and KMFDM back in the late 90s, I can honestly say they deserve all the filters they can get.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Dave Matthews rocks!!!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 pm

exact33 wrote:
Dave Matthews rocks!!!

Dave Matthews sounds like the best band ever compared to \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\".

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Dave Matthews rocks!!!

Dave Matthews sounds like the best band ever compared to \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\".

i am totally getting into Matthews. What a genius!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:31 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Dave Matthews rocks!!!

Dave Matthews sounds like the best band ever compared to "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain".

i am totally getting into Matthews. What a genius!

His band is brilliant. I just hate the guy's voice.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Hey, hey, don't lump Alice in Chains, Tool, System of a Down and STP with nu metal! angry
Those are all quality bands, actually (not saying there's no quality bands in nu metal; it's just that, with the exception of Sevendust, most of it is crap).

Also, how in the hell do nu metal bands play traditional metal??? confused
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Matthews is the "trust fund tour magnet" of the last decade

Hipsters, wookies, and trendy scene sitters apply.

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Although, I have to still tell everyone that that period of music sucked [and, compared to MY generation, it really does], there is already some nostalgia starting to creep in.

And the music from the generation before us is even better. Razz

Hell, I'm old and don't really care what anyone labels music as anymore, I usually don't agree with the general consensus anyway and I just don't care enough to argue anymore.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Hey, hey, don't lump Alice in Chains, Tool, System of a Down and STP with nu metal! angry
Those are all quality bands, actually (not saying there's no quality bands in nu metal; it's just that, with the exception of Sevendust, most of it is crap).

why care what others label a band you dig ?

Tool is for closet homosexuals with too much book education and no common sense.

System Of A Down is for junkies who should of spent money on music lessons instead of filling the spoon with heroin and crank.

and just in case you miss the context of my above quip ? Humor is all that is meant by it.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 pm

S.D. wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Although, I have to still tell everyone that that period of music sucked [and, compared to MY generation, it really does], there is already some nostalgia starting to creep in.

And the music from the generation before us is even better. Razz

Hell, I'm old and don't really care what anyone labels music as anymore, I usually don't agree with the general consensus anyway and I just don't care enough to argue anymore.

When are you going to become jaded, dude? Very Happy

Last edited by Stender on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:46 pm

James B. wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
Hey, hey, don't lump Alice in Chains, Tool, System of a Down and STP with nu metal! NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? 308838

why care what others label a band you dig ?

Tool is for closet homosexuals with too much book education and no common sense.

System Of A Down is for junkies who should of spent money on music lessons instead of filling the spoon with heroin and crank.

and just in case you miss the context of my above quip ? Humor is all that is meant by it.

NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? 201269

Now I want to dredge up every band I remotely consider nu-metal just to throw gasoline on the fire. Unfortunately since I avoid the genre like the plague, my repertoire is limited.

I guess I could just start namechecking every band I know that has more than 3 words in their name. They're all nu-metal, right?

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 pm

The word "classic" seems to be applied instead of the word "old" because it sounds more prestigious that way. Somewhere around 15 to 20 years is usually about the length of time that something becomes "classic". But...that doesn't hold true for every group, massive amounts of record sales will get you the classic tag much sooner.

I think people tend to get nostalgic about music/movies they experienced as a child or a teenager, so kids that were growing up in the 90s and are now adults might get all misty eyed when they hear Pearl Jam on the radio. To them, Pearl Jam is classic rock, it's THEIR classic rock.

I get nostalgic for the music I listened to on the radio when I was a little kid, 70s rock, to me that will always be "classic rock". To some people it would be music from the 50s or 60s, to others it could be anything from the 80s to 10 years ago. It's all about personal perception in the end and the "label" means nothing.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
The word "classic" seems to be applied instead of the word "old" because it sounds more prestigious that way. Somewhere around 15 to 20 years is usually about the length of time that something becomes "classic". But...that doesn't hold true for every group, massive amounts of record sales will get you the classic tag much sooner.

I think people tend to get nostalgic about music/movies they experienced as a child or a teenager, so kids that were growing up in the 90s and are now adults might get all misty eyed when they hear Pearl Jam on the radio. To them, Pearl Jam is classic rock, it's THEIR classic rock.

I get nostalgic for the music I listened to on the radio when I was a little kid, 70s rock, to me that will always be "classic rock". To some people it would be music from the 50s or 60s, to others it could be anything from the 80s to 10 years ago. It's all about personal perception in the end and the "label" means nothing.

Very good point. I view Rush, Tull, Steely Dan, Queen, etc as classic rock.

I view stuff like "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain", System Of A Down, Tool and Limp Bizkit as classic crap. Razz NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? 288219

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Coming soon to a discussion board near you.....

The hipster trend setting fun of catergorizing "classic rock" into sub-genres and heated debate as to what "what" is and what "what" isn't.

I can see the t-shirts now....I was there when real classic rock was first made

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:12 pm

I've just been breaking balls in this thread just for the hell of it.

When it comes to music, I subscribe to the Fat Freddy genre descriptions; stuff I like and stuff I think sucks. That's it. Others can call it whatever they want.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I've just been breaking balls in this thread just for the hell of it.

When it comes to music, I subscribe to the Fat Freddy genre descriptions; stuff I like and stuff I think sucks. That's it. Others can call it whatever they want.

I thought i came up with that ? Oh well

ya know "stuff I dig" and "stuff I don't"
translated as two types of music

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm

i liked Nu-Metal when it came out & i still like it today. not sure if i'd personally call it classic rock, but it doesn't bother me that my local classic rock station plays music by Staind & Disturbed.

deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 pm

I never minded the music from that era. Creed's first two albums are some of my favorites. The funny thing is, my daughter, who is 15, and her friends LOVE all that music, because it came from the time they were born. So I've known for a couple of years that it will make a come back, at least with them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28430

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 pm

I actually don't really hate that much music. I used to hate a lot more, but a lot of bands I used to hate I now just say I dislike or just don't care for.

There are a few nu-metal/rapcore bands I hate (Limp Bizkit is/was by far the worst), but most nu-metal my opinion is "Eh, whatever".

There is a lot of music far worthy of hating than nu-metal. Maroon 5 comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Just to clarify - I was not lumping STP and AIC in with "Nu-Metal". Only Lumping them into the over-played Rock heap that was the 90's that everyone seemed to want to tell me that I was a huge Asshat for not liking at the time. And Guns n Roses is STILL the most overrated mountain of crap ever recorded, btw.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next