Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?

Go down 
+38
mlotek
Lovecraft
Runicen
chewie
ze_mau
Laplander
corplhicks
Lurideath
Short-Fuse
krokus
Hadley
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
jettafiend
Grimmo
Witchfinder
Wargod
DallasBlack
Boris2008
Sword Of The Heretic
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
Dark Horseman
Wurthless
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
deathisgain
mc666
Stender
TheGreatDuck
exact33
SpectreFate
tohostudios
James B.
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I kind of agree with you dude, but there was a lot of crap!

There is always a lot of crap. =)
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 7:45 pm

@ Eyesore No its NOT! haha

Ok to the original question, its classic rock in the sense that those who listened to "that" are now in their 30's and those are the people now moving up in their jobs and what have you and they demand to keep hearing it. So I guess according to the media and those who want to believe it, 20 years must be when something turns the title to classic rock.

Sorry but that's damn funny!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Classic rock is a fixed period in time. If Def Leppard isn't classic rock, Korn sure as hell isn't.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Classic rock is a fixed period in time. If Def Leppard isn't classic rock, Korn sure as hell isn't.

Kinda like the term Oldies.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:55 pm

chewie wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Kinda like the term Oldies.

Yup.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 1:52 am

That's been a problem for a while now, though. I've been hearing a lot of references to 80's metal and even early 90's rock coined as "classic rock." Can't say I'm really fond of it.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 1:58 am

Eyesore wrote:

Def Leppard are classic rock... aren't they? Or classic pop anyway. Like Hall and Oates.  Laughing

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 am

corplhicks wrote:
That's been a problem for a while now, though. I've been hearing a lot of references to 80's metal and even early 90's rock coined as "classic rock." Can't say I'm really fond of it.

We are just getting old dude. It never ceases to amaze me playing stuff like guitar hero at parties to see younger friends and relatives who have no interest in metal whooping with delight when Raining Blood comes on just so that they can throw up the devil horns and headbang! What was dangerous and subversive to us as kids is now safer than safe. I blame the Osbournes! Laughing 

Classic rock is exactly what it is  Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 8:31 am

The process of music becoming "safe" always kind of unnerved me.

I was working in a warehouse with the radio on and I think "Light My Fire" by The Doors came on. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that song caused some major #$#@ back in the day with the whole "She Get High" thing. I mean, The Doors caused riots when they came to town.

Seems kind of inappropriate that their stuff is now being played on a radio station under the tag line "Classic Rock to get you through your work day."

I guess that's what you get for dying fat and high in a bathtub in Paris though...
Back to top Go down
Lovecraft
Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 2:29 pm

The line "she gets high" only came about when the album was remixed for reissue.  On the original release he just says "she gets...", "she gets..." because it was edited prior to the initial release of the LP and single.  

Radio stations started replacing the original version with the remix when it was released.

As for what era is mostly played on classic rock radio here is a chart that breaks it down, sampled from radio stations across the country.  

The peak era is late 60s to early 80s, though it does include songs earlier and later. The peak year is 1972.  

NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Hickey-feature-classicrock-41
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Interesting that '71 and '73 are really chronically low on this chart. '73 in particular was a great year for rock, so I'm a little confused by this...
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm reading that graph and to me it looks like it's '72 and '74 that are low
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Lari wrote:
I'm reading that graph and to me it looks like it's '72 and '74 that are low

That's the way I'm reading it too.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 1:04 am

because of this news piece http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mudvayneex-hellyeah-guitarist-greg-tribbett-looking-to-produce-and-write-music-for-other-artists/
recently checked Mudvayne songs for the first time on youtube. It's ok I guess.
Might try listening to full albums, sounds better than Slipknot at least.

I am pretty sure I read Marilyn Manson & the Spooky Kids name in MRR zine in the early 1990s, selling something or promoting a small tour.
When the Marilyn Manson name popped up years later with the Eurthymics cover of Sweet Dreams, it didn't click in they were the same, as I assumed the original band was just some freaky Alice Cooper type band like The Mighty Sphincter.
Not until I was online and seen their old band name, then I connected it.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Lovecraft wrote:
The line "she gets high" only came about when the album was remixed for reissue.  On the original release he just says "she gets...", "she gets..." because it was edited prior to the initial release of the LP and single.  

Radio stations started replacing the original version with the remix when it was released.

As for what era is mostly played on classic rock radio here is a chart that breaks it down, sampled from radio stations across the country.  

The peak era is late 60s to early 80s, though it does include songs earlier and later. The peak year is 1972.  

NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Hickey-feature-classicrock-41

The version I heard when I was a wee lad was the version that just says "she gets", and bleeps the word "high".

It would be many years until I'd hear the "she gets high" version.

Last edited by Required Fields on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 3:24 pm

I did not like Nu-Metal when it came out - but that was mainly due to the fact that most of what I knew from the genre was the horrid Limp Bizcuit and Linkin Park.

These past few years I have been exploring Nu-Metal and Metalcore.
I must say that I like some of it a lot - bands like Disturbed, Mudvayne, Slipknot. System Of A Down and Korn - I find they all have some good albums. Good not great though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 5:39 pm

I think it's become more extinct than "classic rock".

I approve of the former.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 10:07 am

As a genre, nu-metal never grabbed me and I gave it an almost total pass. It seemed at the time and seems now like it was a record company invention. You had bands like Faith No More and Pantera that brought a unique sound and then labels decided to hit the "grunge/alternative" button faster and harder than they did with grunge and alternative (i.e. take a vibrant and varied scene and distill it into a shitty formula). With metal, I think there was less of a coherent "scene" to speak of, so one was created out of whole cloth more or less using a few bands (the previously mentioned FNM and Pantera) who'd sold an ok number of albums as the template.

Anyone else see any legitimacy to that?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 10:29 am

Over the years, I've warmed up to to 90's grunge and even some alternative, but I don't think I'll ever give more than a passing nod to nu-metal. It just doesn't do a thing for me.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 1:27 pm

To me Classic Rock is music from '68 to mid 80s... Jimi Hendrix, Zeppelin to T-Rex and Sweet to Boston, Styx, Queen, Molly Hatchet to Quiet Riot and Ratt...Everything after that doesn't belong on a classic Rock Station...The Classic Rock Station where I live plays exactly what I said...
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2014 2:30 pm

I feel like stuff can come out that will one day be classic rock. It is primarily a time period, but that time period does get expanded. When I was 12 in 1990 and listening to classic rock stations, I did not really hear Billy Idol, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, etc. But those acts fit in with the sorts of stuff that got played from the late 60s and 70s that were getting played at the time.

So I can definitely see stuff getting absorbed into classic rock's "hits" format, if they fit. Anything from the Black Album, I'm sure those singles will be in regular classic rock rotation, and some classic rock stations already have them as such. I've heard The Cult's "Fire Woman" on classic rock radio before, no problems there for me. I've heard Danzig's "Mother", too. Again, no problem for me there. So no reason to expect that stuff won't come out that will one day be acceptable in those lineups too. Nu-Metal, though, I wouldn't really say fits into it. If they make (maybe they already have) like a "classic alternative" radio format, then yeah, I'm sure all of the hits from that genre that got heavy radio play during their peak years will be included there.

But when people say things like, "It's weird that decades from now 50 Cent will be considered "oldies"'...how can you think that is true? It's not. At all. Not because of the music, but because as someone said oldies is a specific genre/style of itself.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 5:26 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
To me Classic Rock is music from '68 to mid 80s... Jimi Hendrix, Zeppelin to T-Rex and Sweet to Boston, Styx, Queen, Molly Hatchet to Quiet Riot and Ratt...Everything after that doesn't belong on a classic Rock Station...The Classic Rock Station where I live plays exactly what I said...

I've heard people whose blood boiled when it started to become "normal" for classic rock stations to add 90s grunge/alternative. They called in with extremely hateful comments to these stations.

But in addition to being rock a different generation was raised on, it added some variety to the playlist. Some people really liked the fact that they added "new" songs to the format. Then you had the listeners who liked the station better when they played about 20 songs by The Rolling Stones a day instead of just 12-15 or so.

It reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons: "Have you ever noticed how oldies stations are always playing the same songs? How about some NEW oldies, geniuses!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 10:45 am

I was feeling nostalgic for my early 20's the other day (1992-2000) and started listening to some STP and a few other grunge bands.Then I remembered my early 20's and I vividly recall HATING all those Nirvana type Pearl Jam stuff and listening to old thrash back then. The novelty quickly wore off. That music was depressing garbage.And we thought the hair bands in the 80's were posers...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5