Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993

Go down 
+18
Fat Freddy
Nico
Wurthless
Andy
Lurideath
thejokeriv
BearOnUnicycle
Shawn Of Fire
dark avenger
MEGATRON
kmorg
krokus
ultmetal
Getizzyback
MetalGuy71
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
TheGreatDuck
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Empty
PostSubject: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 5:50 am

As we all know, after 1993, a lot of the classic '70s/'80s/early '90s bands that were still around tried to update their sound, and flirted with alternative, grunge, industrial, groove metal or nu metal.
I haven't heard much of this stuff, but from what I've heard, in most cases it didn't go too well.
So, I'm looking for good releases by older bands from mid-'90s and on - I'm mostly looking for releases that have the band's classic sound, but I'm ok with grungy releases as well, if they're good.

This is mainly concerning hair metal and thrash metal bands - seeing that in most cases, traditional metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Riot, Dio, Running Wild, Virgin Steele, Manowar etc. didn't follow the trends in the '90s/'00s,
although in most cases, it's not as good as their older stuff.
However, with thrash and glam, I just stop at '92-'93, and never get to listening to their later releases - for some reason I get afraid I'll hear some lame post-grunge smurf poo.
The latest albums from Whitesnake, Mr. Big, Extreme and Ratt sound pretty good, but I'm clueless when it comes to the rest.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 7:17 am

Since you mentioned thrash metal, a few bands that kept their sound and in some cases made it more aggressive are Testament, Exodus, Destruction from the early 00s onwards.

As far as hard rock goes and since you mentioned Whitesake, check out House of Lords.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 8:08 am

Good Metal releases during the Grunge Explosion ('91-'98?) are a rarity, unless we're talkin about those hardcore Independent labels
Don't be afraid to experiment with Nostalgia-sounding Metal bands of today, altho I still believe 90 percent of them suck, but once you spot something worthwhile It'll definitely click on you.

The Only album that I can think of is Winger's PULL (1993), that is , if you dig their sound
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 am

Actually, I'd consider Pull to be within the "classic metal" timeframe, despite grunge being at it's peak during that time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 10:59 am

Have you ever tried Nevermore? Their debut came out in '95 I believe. They were pretty unique. A nice blend of power, thrash and goth. Check 'em out.

http://www.amazon.com/Nevermore/e/B000AQ6KZS/ref=ntt_mus_dp_pel

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 11:42 am

I really like Warrant's latest "Rockaholic" not to mention the album they did with Black 'N Blue's singer called "Born Again", I like it as well.

I like Dokken's "Lightning Strikes Again" as well.

others to checkout:

Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles
Def Leppard - Euphoria
Arcade - 1 and 2
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild

and Jani Lane and Bobby Blotzer's
Saints of the Underground - Love the Sin, Hate the Sinner (around 2008ish)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Ultimatum never went for the trends in the 90's.

...and I second Nevermore. Great band that came out in the 90's.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 2:17 pm

The worse heavy metal years were between 1993 and 1996 but here you have a list that i made for you with some great real heavy metal albums released during 1993 to give you a exemple(no thrash or hard rock) from my personal collection:
1993:
ACCEPT:OBJECTION OVERRULED
ANGELES DEL INFIERNO:A CARA O CRUZ
AVALANCH:READY TO THE GLORY
BLIND GUARDIAN:TOKYO TALES (LIVE ALBUM)
CRUSH:KINGDOM OF THE KINGS
DORO:ANGELS NEVER DIE
EXCITER:BETTER LIVE THAN DEATH (LIVE ALBUM)
GAMMA RAY:INSANITY AND GENIUS
GRAVE DIGGER:THE REAPER
HELICON:HELICON
LIGHTMARE:CERTAIN DEATH
MARSHALL LAW:POWER GAME
MERCYFUL FATE:IN THE SHADOWS (great great comeback album)
NOT FRAGILE:LOST IN A DREAM
OMEN:ANARCHIA (hungarian heavy metal band, great)
PHANTOM:CYBERCHRIST
PROROCK:ROCKOK
RAGE:THE MISSING LINK
RATA BLANCA:EL LIBRO OCULTO
RIOT:NIGHTBREAKER (killer album)
If you want more, i can give you my fave heavy metal releases from 1994, 1995 and 1996.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Annihilator were a little hit and miss during these years. They kept their sound though, and released a few solid albums.

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 51YTTyZ8iML._SL500_AA300_Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 61VNNRjC3BL._AA300_
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:43 pm

S.D. wrote:
Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 51YTTyZ8iML._SL500_AA300_Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 61VNNRjC3BL._AA300_

Yes and YES!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:53 pm

AC/DC - The Razor's Edge, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip, Black Ice
Aerosmith - Honkin' on Bobo
Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On, Purpendicular, Abandon, Bananas, Rapture of the Deep
KISS - Sonic Boom
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Rush - Test for Echo, Snakes and Arrows
Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (although I think this one came out in '91?)
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 4:32 am

Yes, i agree with THE BATTLE RAGES ON by DEEP PURPLE and the AC/DC albums. Also RAINBOW did a cool album back in 1995 and BLACK SABBATH´s DEHUMANIZER was cool too.
Back to top Go down
dark avenger
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 7:49 am

Tesla-Bust a Nut(1994)
Cinderella-Still Climbing(1994)
Dokken-Erase the Slate(1999)
Poison-Native Tongue(1993)
Motley Crue-New Tatoo(2000)
Vince Neil-Exposed(1993)
Aerosmith-Nine Lives(1997)
Van Halen-Balance(1995)
Coverdale Page-st(1993)
Mr Big-Bump Ahead(1993)
Alice Cooper-The Last Temptation(1994)
Slash's Snakepit-It's 5 o Clock Somewhere(1995),Ain't Life Grand(2000)
The Cult-Beyond Good and Evil(2001)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 am

Quote :

They actually released an album? Original material or covers? I thought that was just a live, club thing they did. I didn't know they recorded anything.

Quote :

This album was lame. Poison's failed attempt to be taken more seriously in the age of grunge. Avoid.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 am

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t2823-favorite-albums-1995-1999?highlight=1995

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 pm

anything by Motorhead.

Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

krokus wrote:

ACCEPT:OBJECTION OVERRULED
NOT FRAGILE:LOST IN A DREAM
OMEN:ANARCHIA (hungarian heavy metal band, great)
PHANTOM:CYBERCHRIST
Awesomness.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

It took Ratt a long time to finally release a good album (their post-grunge stuff sucks except for Detonator), but Infestation is a great album
Back to top Go down
dark avenger
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

They actually released an album? Original material or covers? I thought that was just a live, club thing they did. I didn't know they recorded anything.

Quote :

This album was lame. Poison's failed attempt to be taken more seriously in the age of grunge. Avoid.

Many people consider Native Tongue is Poison's finest hour.

Anyway, i think it's not lame; i think it's a fine bluesy hard rock album, with some good songs on it and outsanding guitars provided by Ritchie Kotzen.

and it's certainly not a sell out, or a poor attempt at moving towards grunge/alternative.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
It took Ratt a long time to finally release a good album (their post-grunge stuff sucks except for Detonator), but Infestation is a great album
Detonator's pre-grunge. Wink
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Detonator's pre-grunge. Wink

Yep - just checked the release date - 1990. It didn't do as well as their earlier albums and I think it gets lumped in the "Grunge killed the album" because it came out 1 year prior to Nevermind
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Quote :
Many people consider Native Tongue is Poison's finest hour.

And those people would be wrong.

Native Tongue is exactly what I stated. A lame, contrived attempt to sound "mature" and "relevent" in a grunge soaked world. Bret Michaels even says so. They didn't know what to do. They lost an important member of the band and their good time party rock was no longer popular. It was an act of desperation. And I don't know what the numbers are today, but it was the 1st Poison album that didn't go platinum. As depressing as that might sound to some.

Richie Kotzen is a brilliant, talented guitarist, but not for Poison. Like 'em or not, Poison is Bret, CC, Bobby & Rikki. Those 4 have a chemistry and sound that sells.

Honestly, I haven't heard Native Tongue in eons. I think I brought it as a new release on tape, but never bothered to upgrade. No plans to either. Maybe it's a decent blues-rock album. But it's not a good POISON album. I don't want Bret telling me to "stand for what you believe" with a gospel choir. I want nothing but a good time.

Allot of folks hate the Crue album with John Corabi too. It's a good album, but not a good Crue album.

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Ha! Anything that had massive MTV airplay sucked at the time, it's like endless looping torture,

I remember back in the day when our Local MTV played nothing but EXTREME's 'Tragic Comic', POISON's 'Stand' and A whole bunch of GNR's and NIRVANAs and other first-Wave Grunge Acts Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Piss

There were almost no fresh Thrash or Heavy Metal releases, I was happy listening to my KREATOR cassette tapes tho Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Anything by Sodom is great!
Kreator - Violent Revolution
Kreator - Enemy of God
everything Tankard has put out.
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993   Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good releases from classic hard rock & metal bands after 1993
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next