Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CLASSIC ROCK magazine

Go down 
+4
kmorg
Olafsto
manny
Metal Misfit
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

CLASSIC ROCK magazine Empty
PostSubject: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 4:20 pm

It's 2009, we can find/steal/download browse anything and everything we need online, but I'm a fan of owning DVDs, CDs and magazines.

I was at Barnes & Noble last week and picked up the June issue of Classic Rock because of the free CD it came with (The New Wave of Traditional Metal... it's awesome, btw). I've visited their site a number of times over the years, but this was first my read through of the magazine. I LOVE IT! This particular issue focused on "The Incredibly Strange, and Very Heavy, Story of Metal" talking about artists from Blue Cheer to The Godz to Buckcherry to Ian Hunter to Vinny Appice to Sisters of Mercy to Def Leppard!

Anyone else reading this magazine? They don't come off as an amateur & cheap like Metal Edge or Hit Parader do and they aren't stuck up like Rolling Stone or SPIN. Even though it's called Classic Rock, they manage a nice balance of news, articles, reviews and interviews with the old & the new. That sampler CD alone has turned me on to a lot of metal bands and I'm flipping through the magazine again to track down the rest of the bands they talked about that interested me.

Ouch to the subscription price though. $100 for a year. Any good magazine discount sites out there?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:42 pm

Yes I love that magazine and I buy it every month, best writing on music I have ever read in a magazine and these guys are not snobs to what is considered classic rock from Bob Dylan to Motorhead to Venom to Genesis is all covered and interviewed in that magazine, pricy but worth the price.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 am

manny wrote:
Yes I love that magazine and I buy it every month, best writing on music I have ever read in a magazine and these guys are not snobs to what is considered classic rock from Bob Dylan to Motorhead to Venom to Genesis is all covered and interviewed in that magazine, pricy but worth the price.

What manny said.
By far the best music magazine sold today imo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Yeah, looks like I'll just have to settle for my BN discount instead of throwing $100 down at once. Comes out to about the same discount.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:36 pm

I own the very issue you mention here. This is a great magazine. It features some of the oldies writers from Kerrang! and Metal Hammer.

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 pm

I've been reading that mag for going on 2 years...I liked the first Metal issue, but wasn't too crazy about this one...I love their ongoing series on Prog Rock though...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I've been reading that mag for going on 2 years...I liked the first Metal issue, but wasn't too crazy about this one...I love their ongoing series on Prog Rock though...

I agree that metal issue was a bit on the weak side and even had a minor era on a otherwise excellent Blue Cheer.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:22 pm

So the US is still on the August issue right? With Hendrix. I just stopped into B&N the other night and that's what they had, but I think the UK already has the September issue, which I think features them ranking the top 100 guitarists, or something like that.

I'm liking this Heavy Blues promo CD.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:36 pm

Best music mag. out there!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 7:25 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
So the US is still on the August issue right? With Hendrix. I just stopped into B&N the other night and that's what they had, but I think the UK already has the September issue, which I think features them ranking the top 100 guitarists, or something like that.

I'm liking this Heavy Blues promo CD.

In the US the August Issue is the current one, I believe we are at least one month behind the magazine's UK release.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 am

I Love Classic Rock Magazine and also would love to suscribe to it too
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 3:51 pm

I just discovered my boss has a subscription to this magazine. He put out a few copies in the main office for me to steal, uh, I mean borrow. Pretty decent magazine.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 6:46 pm

I really miss BW&BK. That was my mag, but it went under.

I've been looking for a good replacement, so maybe I'll check into this one.

Thanks for the heads up!

By the way, I'll always like real mags too. I get disgusted when I hear people talk about how they don't need 'print' mags or hard copy CDs anymore. Just disgusts me ... and sickens me honestly.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:25 pm

The other day I bought a coffee table type book about the history of Creem Magazine. It has a ton of interviews and pics from the entire run of the mag. It's very cool if anyone was ever a fan or just loves rock mags I definitely suggest it and if you have a Barnes and Noble near you it should be in the clearance section for $10, which is definitely not a bad deal IMO.

CLASSIC ROCK magazine Creem-728764
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CLASSIC ROCK magazine   CLASSIC ROCK magazine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CLASSIC ROCK magazine
Page 1 of 1