Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?

Go down 
+38
mlotek
Lovecraft
Runicen
chewie
ze_mau
Laplander
corplhicks
Lurideath
Short-Fuse
krokus
Hadley
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
jettafiend
Grimmo
Witchfinder
Wargod
DallasBlack
Boris2008
Sword Of The Heretic
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
Dark Horseman
Wurthless
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
deathisgain
mc666
Stender
TheGreatDuck
exact33
SpectreFate
tohostudios
James B.
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 pm

I ignored nu-metal when it was current, and I have no plans to change that all these years later.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
And Guns n Roses is STILL the most overrated mountain of crap ever recorded, btw.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 am

Maybe, but i'll take November Rain over rap rock anyday.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 am

I liked alot of those bands, but after awhile they started sounding the same, I liked K orn, when they came out, Marilyn Manson, System of the Down, etc, but always went back to my old favorites and still do.

I listened to Slipknot a couple of days ago, I enjoyed it but I did not love it, and still feel that those jackhammers are waaaaaay overrated.

I also felt that alot of these bands tagged nu metal where posers just as big as the hair metal bands they accussed of commiting this sin.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:24 am

The media/record companies shining the "look! It's old!" light on it isn't going to make the genre any less of a turd. I'm sure they can still milk more cash out of the older waves of 'classic' bands, both deserving and undeserving of the label. It seems desperate to do it with nu-metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:51 am

I saw K-orn once.....it was in my sign after a BBQ

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 am

James B. wrote:
I saw K-orn once.....it was in my sign after a BBQ

and your Corn had just as much talent as \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\".
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:59 am

SpectreFate wrote:

and your Corn had just as much talent as \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\".

Didn't they have a song called "cobb on a stick" ?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:25 am

James B. wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Didn't they have a song called "cobb on a stick" ?

Yeah the lyrics are

"Cobb On A Stick, suck it down
Cobb on a stick, long and brown"

or something to that effect. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 am

I can't even keep up with labels anymore. I like Shinedown and Sevendust, what genre do they fall in?
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 10:24 am

\"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\" I've never gotten. Even before they got big and everyone acted like they were some great new act I still didn't see it. I did think the first Limp Bizkit album was alright. But man was Fred Durst the worst guy to be the face of a genre. With him as the de facto spokesperson you knew it had a short self life. I think, like all things that catch on in music, it got too same-y and way over-exposed. And it managed to do so quicker than most genres. I'd even guess there are probably some "nu-metal" acts that deserved attention and who put out good records that got drowned in the hype then backlash.

I'll also say that the Judgement Night soundtrack may have influenced a ton of these groups that are hated, but I still think it is a killer record.

On the classic rock front we had in Indiana a classic rock station (WAOR out of Niles, MI) that was using that format to play seventies stuff in 1982. In fact they claim they were the first to do so. I loved it. Turned me onto a lot of cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 10:56 am

During the nu-metal days, the radio station only played the good nu-metal bands between the hours of 12:00 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. Everything after that was the same old corporate crap.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 10:59 am

I never have really understood labels. I thought that Marilyn Manson and System of a Down were great, Slipknot and Linkin Park kinda had their interesting moments and \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\" and Limp Bizkit were the biggest pile of crap I'd ever heard. The important thing though is that they were actually all very different bands with different sounds, I didn't and still don't understand why people lumped it all together and labelled it sign I think that music has to try different things, some of it you are going to like some you will hate so don't buy it.

For me Nu Metal had a lot more about it than Grunge!! That had Nirvana and dozens of bands that wanted to be Nirvana.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The important thing though is that they were actually all very different bands with different sounds, I didn't and still don't understand why people lumped it all together and labelled it

This is the fatal flaw with creating sub-genres in the first place.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

For me Nu Metal had a lot more about it than Grunge!! That had Nirvana and dozens of bands that wanted to be Nirvana.
Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

With vocalists that wanted to be Eddie Vedder.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 3:52 pm

I really enjoy Disturbed - are they considered Nu-Metal?

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Yes they are, poser. NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 778825
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Yes they are, poser. NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 778825

NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 395375

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Quote :
still don't understand why people lumped it all together and labelled it

Quote :
That had Nirvana and dozens of bands that wanted to be Nirvana.

Quote :
With vocalists that wanted to be Eddie Vedder.

I get what you guys are saying but there was a whole lot more going on in that scene than Nirvana/Pearl Jam clones. Just too bad the labels/radio didn't push beyond the obvious (and isn't that always the way with trends). Groups like Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Gruntruck, The Nymphs, The Gits, and Tad all put out amazing records in that era. While the Fastbacks and Dead Moon continued to be ignored. I highly recommend the documentary Hype! even if you hate "grunge".
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Quote :
For me Nu Metal had a lot more about it than Grunge!!

Kinda hard to downplay grunge cause that scene was mostly rehashed 70's rock. Without 70's rock, there is not much afterwards to influence.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 6:32 pm

I consider it mostly CRAPATOLLA!

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I ignored nu-metal when it was current, and I have no plans to change that all these years later.

Yep. Angsty garbage for mallrats. I think I was just too old for it. Nothing about it spoke to me at all.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:
During the nu-metal days, the radio station only played the good nu-metal bands between the hours of 12:00 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. Everything after that was the same old corporate crap.

My local radio station wouldn't touch anything nu-metal back when it was all the rage. They also refused to play Creed until they couldn't ignore them anymore (their second album had been out for almost a year at this point).

I can understand why they wouldn't play nu-metal (despite its popularity) to an extent. But the fact they refused to play Creed until they couldn't ignore them anymore is rather disturbing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 am

I must've missed some earlier topics - is the \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\".
particular way?

Aside from that, I did enjoy some grunge back in the day, I had the first 2 Pearl Jam albums, Soundgarden's BadMotorFinger and Superunknown, and Temple of the Dog.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next