Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?

Go down 
+38
mlotek
Lovecraft
Runicen
chewie
ze_mau
Laplander
corplhicks
Lurideath
Short-Fuse
krokus
Hadley
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
jettafiend
Grimmo
Witchfinder
Wargod
DallasBlack
Boris2008
Sword Of The Heretic
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
Dark Horseman
Wurthless
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
deathisgain
mc666
Stender
TheGreatDuck
exact33
SpectreFate
tohostudios
James B.
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 am

I'm gonna go with 'A Light In The Black' or 'Gates of Babylon' or 'Kill the King', above those but yeah of course 'Stargazer' too.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I'm gonna go with 'A Light In The Black' or 'Gates of Babylon' or 'Kill the King', above those but yeah of course 'Stargazer' too.

I love Gates Of Babylon too. I'm actually one of the few that think that album is the best of Dio era Rainbow. Most prefer Rising, but apart from Stargazer and Lady Starstruck I can't name any other favorite from that album. Kill The King, Gates Of Babylon, Long Live Rock & Roll, Lady Of The Lake, LA Connection, and Rainbow Eyes are all favorites of mine from LLR&R.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Long Live Rock 'N' Roll is my favorite Rainbow album as well. I remember we did that poll awhile back and I chose Gates Of Babylon over Stargazer.

I like so much music from the 70s from so many different genres that I doubt Rainbow would be in my "very favorite" list, but for hard rock/metal they were definitely one of the best of the second wave.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm

I loved Rainbow, that even include the Joe Lynn Turner era, and they would make my top 50 of all time favorite bands of all time.

As far as our Classic (crap) Rock station over here the only Rainbow tunes that get played are 'Man on the Silver Mountain' and 'Stone Cold'
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 am

Quote :
As far as our Classic (crap) Rock station over here the only Rainbow tunes that get played are 'Man on the Silver Mountain' and 'Stone Cold'

I don't think I've ever heard my local classic rock station play any Rainbow tunes ever.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 12:01 pm

I've heard the two Manny said and Since You've Been Gone and Street of Dreams on the radio.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Strange turn this thread took. But I will add mine... KQ92 plays stuff from all 3 classic Rainbow stages - Man on the Silver Mountain, Since You've Been Gone, Death Alley Driver, Power, Street of Dreams, Long Live RNR, Surrender, Jealous Lover... I have heard all of those on there. And Minneapolis Radio really really sucks! So, that is weird.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 11:51 pm

Standards change with time as to what is classic rock - another generation's well known rock songs will be added to classic rock radio every 10-15 years or so.

I remember when I was in high school, we didn't have a classic rock station. We only had a country station, an oldies station, a Top 40 station, and a talk radio station.

One day in high school, a classmate of mine talked about radio. Since oldies stations play 50s, 60s, and 70s music, he said he thinks that the oldies station should be playing Black Sabbath and Bon Scott-era AC/DC, since they're both from the 70s and are more famous than some performers that get played on the oldies station we had.

I guess I know what he meant, but they'd be grossly misplaced there. They're on classic rock radio, where AC/DC in particular are staples of. There is a lot of overlap between the playlists of oldies stations and classic rock stations, but a lot of what classic rock radio plays, oldies stations wouldn't play and don't play, and vice versa. (The Who is about as "hard" as "oldies" stations tend to get; oldies stations generally play the bubblegummy music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and light rock/folk from that era, as opposed to harder rock from the 60s and 70s, such as Zeppelin. Plus, in North America at least, AC/DC wasn't that big until Highway to Hell, which is from 1979, about the cut off point for oldies radio, but yeah, they don't play "hard rock" from that era.)

Now, we have a couple of Top 40 stations, a couple of country stations, a classic rock station, a station with predominantly folk music, and a talk radio station.

Classic rock stations generally play material from the British Invasion up until about 12-15 years earlier. I did hear "Bodies" by Drowning Pool, one of the most well known nu-metal songs, on classic rock radio not too long ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 am

The newest song i've heard on classic rock radio is Metallica's cover of Turn the Page (1998) and I wonder if thats just because its a Bob Seger cover (of course, if that was the case, they should also be playing their covers of Whiskey in the Jar and Tuesday's Gone). Other than that, they (my local classic rock station) dont play anything past 1994, and outside of Hendrix, no 60s music (they do play the Who and Zeppelin, but not their 60s material).
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 2:46 am

I never payed atention to Nu metal, industrial metal etc...because traditional heavy metal was still alive with bands like GRAVE DIGGER, RUNNING WILD, ICED EARTH, PARAGON, SACRED STEEL, HAMMERFALL, SAXON etc..releasing great records. Some of this bands released there best albums back in the mid and late 90s.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Since Nu-Metal's most prominent attributes are no guitar solos, extreme downtuning and over-simplification, I'm never going to be much of a fan, no matter when that music was popular. To me, Nu-Metal's origins seem to be Faith No More's "Jizzzlobber" instrumental, the aforementioned "Judgement Night" soundtrack, and Sepultura's "Roots". Honestly, though I've dabbled in Death and Black and avant-garde metal, to me Thrash has everything-comprehensible vocals, fantastic lead guitar and solos, some melodicism to keep it interesting, memorable song-writing and on it's extreme end it's just as powerful as the other "extreme" metal genres.
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Oh yeah, I never understood the whole 'angst" thing either! Their lyrics are what they call "first world problems".It's like Staind grew up as the "everybody gets a trophy" generation instead of their parents telling them that life sucks and it's up to the individual on how you can obtain contentment and some satisfaction in life. Have you ever read the lyrics of Linkin Park's Meteroa? I can't buy in to that aesthetic philosophically Sad .
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 1:13 pm

I don't see the point in getting uptight about Nu Metal. It's been, it's gone, it's very nearly forgotten. Some of it was good most of it was lousy.

Have I ever read the lyrics to Linkin Park's Meteroa? God no! Why would I?  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 6:28 pm

There is no quality in Un - metal. The media came up with the tag Nu and its sucked then, it sucks now, and it will always SUCK! It is NOT metal!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 9:19 pm

It doesn't need to be metal to be classic rock. It's definitely hard rock. The quality level is debatable, depending on the band.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Lurideath wrote:
There is no quality in Un - metal. The media came up with the tag Nu and its sucked then, it sucks now, and it will always SUCK! It is NOT metal!

It is metal. Suck it up, tight pants!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Some nu-metal is great. I adore Slipknot, and Vol 3 was a brilliant masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Laplander
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't see the point in getting uptight about Nu Metal. It's been, it's gone, it's very nearly forgotten. Some of it was good most of it was lousy. 

I agree
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Laplander wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I agree

It's not gone.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Short-Fuse wrote:
Since Nu-Metal's most prominent attributes are no guitar solos, extreme downtuning and over-simplification, I'm never going to be much of a fan, no matter when that music was popular. To me, Nu-Metal's origins seem to be Faith No More's "Jizzzlobber" instrumental, the aforementioned "Judgement Night" soundtrack, and Sepultura's "Roots". Honestly, though I've dabbled in Death and Black and avant-garde metal, to me Thrash has everything-comprehensible vocals, fantastic lead guitar and solos, some melodicism to keep it interesting, memorable song-writing and on it's extreme end it's just as powerful as the other "extreme" metal genres.

Your post makes a lot of sense, but to me, the real roots of "Nu Metal" are in Pantera´s "Vulgar Display of Power" and Sepultura´s "Chaos AD".
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Laplander wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I agree

It's not gone.

It's gone from my consciousness and that's good enough for me.

Like I have said, I love SOAD and like Slipknot & Marilyn Manson but at least bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit & Korn aren't everywhere like they were in the 90's.

Last edited by Boris2008 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Even though I don't like them, Linkin Park's debut didn't come out until 2000.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Even though I don't like them, Linkin Park's debut didn't come out until 2000.

Good point! I didn't sober up till 2002 so events around then are a bit hazy  lol!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 2:15 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Laplander wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I agree

It's not gone.

It's gone from my consciousness and that's good enough for me.

Like I have said, I love SOAD and like Slipknot & Marilyn Manson but at least bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit & Korn aren't everywhere like they were in the 90's.

Here's my issue with the whole "nu-metal" thing. You list six bands there, and not one of them sounds like the other. Yet countless people insist they're all nu-metal.

Either way, there were a lot of bands that fell under than umbrella that weren't very good or were good but just too similar to other bands; but there are countless bands that just kicked all kinds of ass. For instance...

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 7:26 am

I kind of agree with you dude, but there was a lot of crap!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?   NU-Metal.  Has it become Classic Rock? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NU-Metal. Has it become Classic Rock?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next